Suggestion: Instruct applicants to check their Introduction threads

Started by kimbersee, July 21, 2010, 12:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kimbersee

I read the applicant instructions and I do not see anywhere where it says new applicants should return to the site and review their Introduction threads. I have actually seen an applicant apologize for the delay in his response because he didn't know he was supposed to return to the site and instead was waiting for an email. Waiting for an email saying there has been a response to your thread is a valid assumption as many forums do this as default, however it appears that E does not follow this procedure. Perhaps there is a reason behind E not sending update emails? Personally I would not read the emails as I'm mostly on the site. But I think that it would help new applicants to tell them to return to check on their threads, perhaps this would cut down on the applications held due to inactivity.

Haibane

It may be that Elliquiy's administrators prefer not to hold people's hands and send them hints. They may want that tiny spark of initiative from someone thinking, 'Um, that site I applied at - I never got a reply/approval e-mail... I think I'll go back and check'.

The other point might be that if applicants don't return to check their intro threads then that may be a good indicator that they are not going to be useful/active members of the community.

Looking at all the new names I have noticed around here recently I don't think there's any shortage of newly approved members.

kimbersee

Quote from: Haibane on July 21, 2010, 04:32:09 PM
It may be that Elliquiy's administrators prefer not to hold people's hands and send them hints. They may want that tiny spark of initiative from someone thinking, 'Um, that site I applied at - I never got a reply/approval e-mail... I think I'll go back and check'.

The other point might be that if applicants don't return to check their intro threads then that may be a good indicator that they are not going to be useful/active members of the community.

Looking at all the new names I have noticed around here recently I don't think there's any shortage of newly approved members.

That was what I was thinking the possible reasons could be. If you really want something, you go for it, right?

Vekseid

The system can and does poke people who haven't logged in in awhile.

kimbersee

Quote from: Vekseid on July 21, 2010, 04:44:38 PM
The system can and does poke people who haven't logged in in awhile.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll put my curious brain to rest now.  :D

Lilias

Quote from: kimbersee on July 21, 2010, 12:24:09 PM
I read the applicant instructions and I do not see anywhere where it says new applicants should return to the site and review their Introduction threads.

READ ME! Introduction Thread and Approval Policy

Right at the top of the Introductions board. Looks pretty conspicuous to me.

QuoteUnlike a lot of other online communities, simply registering on Elliquiy doesn't give you full access to our forums. Members who would like the ability to edit and delete posts, look at member profiles, and read and write roleplays that contain adult themes are required to go through an approval process. The approval process, described in the next post, consists of answering questions from our questionnaire, and interacting with other members of the community. Based on your activity and interaction, the approval team will make a decision within one or two weeks.

[...]

In order to gain full access you will need to at least introduce yourself and converse a bit.

[...]

You will not be approved before at least saying hello after your introduction post. We look for a certain level of activity and/or number of words before approval.

What more would you want?
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

kimbersee

Quote from: Lilias on July 21, 2010, 04:48:28 PM
READ ME! Introduction Thread and Approval Policy

Right at the top of the Introductions board. Looks pretty conspicuous to me.

What more would you want?

I might be interpreting things differently than you but I do not see where it says you have to login back to check on new messages posted on your Introduction thread. But as Verkseid said, if the system pokes inactive people then that should be enough of a reminder.

Lilias

The system pokes inactive people after they've been inactive for a while, perhaps through not reading the policy.

QuoteYou will not be approved before at least saying hello after your introduction post. We look for a certain level of activity and/or number of words before approval.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Vekseid

The idea is to compensate for people who glaze over those points.

Most often, though, people just forget, or have other commitments at the time.

Quote from: kimbersee on July 21, 2010, 04:53:54 PM
I might be interpreting things differently than you but I do not see where it says you have to login back to check on new messages posted on your Introduction thread. But as Verkseid said, if the system pokes inactive people then that should be enough of a reminder.

You'll often see a spike in approvals during the first week of the month because of it. Rather few people are actually confused, though I have gotten a lot of thank yous. It happens, though, and part of being a human driven community is being able to provide individual assistance to people : )