What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemingway

Drake Valentine

Sleeping Dogs. ^-^`

I'm happy that True Crime finally came back, even though it isn't 'True Crime' by name rights, but still it was originally planned to be True Crime; fun game regardless.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

I have him in a purple cloak, with foot and wrist wraps and that purple skull grapple pulsing on his arm. And with the way he slinks around, it's starting to look very Soul Reaver in here.

Loving it. The level design is absolutely worth a big TV. Only complaint is they seem to have ditched the whole 'Hell of Earth' premise for your typical Warcraft style high fantasy :/ So I guess I don't get to see any famous landmarks crumbling under a few centuries of demon occupation.

Hemingway

So. Jagged Alliance: Back in Action has some flaws. It's a bit clunky, requiring more micromanagement of your mercenaries than should be necessary. But I can live with that.

Because there's a lot of good stuff, too. One of the best things about it is that it's an open world, and missions aren't predetermined and linear like in Fallout Tactics. You're free to attack locations from any side you like, at any time of day, and taking whatever path you like. Including making your own path with C4 ( in predetermined spots, which is a minus, but still more than can be said for most games ).

Bigmyth

Currently playing the game: "waiting for Guild Wars 2".

It sucks because it involves a lot of waiting.  :-(

Hemingway

Man, I'm sneaky. I'm playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution again. I just snuck through the FEMA camp without anyone seeing so much as a trace of me ( i.e. no alerted or even suspicious states ), and without killing or even knocking out a single guard or disabling a single camera. Hardcore sneakiness.

Brandon

Well I have some good news. I got a closed beta key for Raiderz! As I noted before from Totalbiscuit's WTF is video its basicly monster hunter only in MMO form.

Interestingly they also gave me 2 more beta keys for friends and my girlfriends and friends arent really interested in it. Anyone care to join in with me?
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

persephone325

This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Wolfy

Mann vs. Machine

RED vs BLUE?

No no no...

Now it's Red x Blue.

....Just like Sabby X Wolfy.

Best team ever.

Brandon

Quote from: Wolfy on August 14, 2012, 11:28:28 PM
Mann vs. Machine

RED vs BLUE?

No no no...

Now it's Red x Blue.

....Just like Sabby X Wolfy.

Best team ever.

Wait, where was the pyro?
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Wolfy

Rel Mayer

I can't stop playing Persona 4 Arena. Ughhh!!

Persona 4 Arena: E3 Trailer

<3 Atlus games.

Oniya

Gah!  One problem with playing old games:  processor speeds can turn a minor annoyance into a game-breaker.  Okay, there is a way out of it, but it involves force-quitting.

There's a trap in one of the MM1 dungeons where 'the floor spins'.  Back on the old machines, this could be exited by pushing forward at just the right moment (and possibly ending up facing the wrong direction, but - persistence).  On a new machine, I pretty much have to Alt-tab out, close the program, and walk back to the trap to jump over it.  With two or more in a row, I have to go find something else to do until I learn Teleport.  Not that I'm too far away from that, but it's now a major annoyance instead of a minor one.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

There's one thing bad about Wesnoth. The rolls tend to be a little "bullshit". To inform, "bullshit" is the state at which Inkidu will make rolls against the machine and find that the game gives itself an unfair advantage. Example:

I have an 80% chance to hit. They have a 40% chance to hit. They hit me every time and I miss all my attacks. The game is very well balanced, but it tends to really cheat when it comes to rolls. In fact, I'd say the game is so well balanced that the distinctions between sides get really nonexistent at times and it becomes a game of who's the richest. Which, is really irritating when you play a map where you're supposed to come in poor.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

persephone325

I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Wolfy

Sabby

Oh wow. A game with no story about a little kid in a big scary world and a one note premise that adds nothing. Call me simple, but I just don't get art. And ever since I played Journey, anyone praising a game as art pretty much tells me to avoid the thing all together.

Hell, I fell for the art thing once before with Void, so I'm not totally immune to it, but once the admittedly awesome premise had soaked in I was left with only the gameplay, and it disappointed. And that's the fucking problem. Games are games. They are interactive. They live and die on their controls and gameplay. You can enjoy a well thought out and executed game that looks like a plate of ass and has very little originality to it, but you can't inverse that and have a similar effect.

I want games to have good presentation and creative ideas, and try new avenues. Really, I do. But if I have to choose between presentation and gameplay, I will choose the latter every single time. That doesn't make me against art games, that just means I don't see any art games that strike a good balance.

Brandon

I think thats a mistake Sabby. From my point of view there are two kinds of games that fall into the art category. There are artistic games which are made by a developer to express something. Then there are games that are art by virtue of expression through philosophy, science, or religious ideals.

Journey is an artistic game that falls short because its so formulaic of the hero's journey story points. It does allow you to come to your own conclusions about why you're there, why you're going to the mountain and why what happens happens at the end. The developers said as much before giving their own interpretations.

The latter category is a lot harder to pin down but IMO I think the best game to represent a game that is art is Bioshock. Its symbolism and philosophical message are so thick that very few people dont take the time to think about them.

The problem is, artistic games often sacrifice gameplay and story for the message. However on the other side games that are art often become art more by chance and luck as the pieces all fall into place. I think both are worthwhile but in different ways.

In other news I still have 2 beta keys to Raiderz. I was hoping to find some friends to play with but no one I know seems interested in it. So the first two approved members who PM me get them. Im tired of looking and I would rather not see them go to waste

Sabby

Huh... didn't even think of Bioshock o.O I guess because it runs on Unreal 3 engine, makes complete sense, is full of guns, and isn't completely pretentious.

I guess I need to refine my terminology xD Games like Bioshock I'll call art, games like Void, Rain, Lament, Ico, The Path and Journey I'll call ASK ME WHAT IT MEANS! ASK ME WHAT IT MEANS! I'M SO DEEP!

I do not include Shadow of the Colossus, because it's actually good. Good enough for me to forgive it's pretentious plot.

...I'm starting to see a pattern with these games o.O They're just Gwen Stefani's 'Holler Back Girl'. Ask her what it is, and she'll reply "What do YOU think it is?"

In that case, Holler Back Girl means "Hey Sabby, will you please send me a Bird Flu Sandwich?"

Brandon

Quote from: Sabby on August 16, 2012, 01:10:04 AM
I do not include Shadow of the Colossus, because it's actually good. Good enough for me to forgive it's pretentious plot.

You keep using that word.

persephone325

Rule of Rose.

Not sure if this is spoilerish, but just to be on the safe side...

That goddamn mermaid boss pisses me off to no end!
I don't know.

Sabby

Brandon, it gives me a sentence and then get's praised for the book it never wrote :P And it thinks it's deep and intelligent for this, and everyone is just so happy to reassure it. Forgive me for not buying into it. It's the kind of crap that's dragging indy games down into the same mire of blandness that they were made to escape. Oooh, interpret this for us! Come to your own conclusion, so we don't have to make one.

I mean, I've read GLOWING reviews for Lament... and if it weren't for it puffing it's chest out thinking it's so clever and thought provoking, it'd just be a bad platformer on Newgrounds.