News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

League of Legends

Started by Aiden, May 22, 2011, 02:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryven

Caeli

Which doesn't really help, because I have no idea what those letters stand for (though I will after I go and look it up), and how the two different types of game systems differ, but that's neither here nor there.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Shjade

MMORPG = Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game
RTS = Real-Time Strategy

An MMORPG is your Everquest, your World of Warcraft, your Champions Online, that sort of thing: lots of people all playing online in the same world where they can interact with one another using characters they create and build up through long-term experience and progression.

An RTS is your Starcraft, your Age of Empires, your Supreme Commander, and so on: distanced control of one or a number of units taking part in a battlefield much larger than themselves in which each unit only has a small impact on the greater battle, generally with some kind of economic or resource-control background determining who can produce or upgrade the most units for strategic advantages over their opposition. In the case of League of Legends that economic aspect is fairly limited, restricting you to a single hero unit in every match and all your resources devoted to upgrading that single unit's abilities through various equipment purchases, but it's there. There's not really any role-playing to do in it. All characters are wiped back to level 1 at the end of every match, everyone picks from the same large pool of heroes at the start of a match, etc. As for the "massive" bit, LoL matches max out at...5v5, I think? There's no larger world, just a few pre-set battlefields.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Caeli

Oh, I see. I can see the merits of both - but yes, I've never played an MMO before. I've played Diablo II online, but I think that maxes out at 8 human players per map. What exactly would that qualify as?

Earlier, though, people mentioned "leveling up" - if you reset to level one at the beginning of every match, then what exactly is being leveled up?
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Ryven

MMORPGs have characters that you create and advance in level, gear, powers, etc.

I'm not sure how other MRTSs work, but League of Legends doesn't have a character you create.  Instead, what you have is a summoner which is basically the word they use for the player controlling the champion.  A champion is a set character in the game with set abilities.  The only times those abilities change are if the champion levels up during a match (or if developers decide to tweak them with patches).  Every match begins each champion at level 1, and through killing NPCs and enemy champions, you earn experience for your champion in that match.

After the match is over, a game overview screen will tell you the stats of the game (how many champion kills each summoner had, how many deaths, and how many assists in killing enemy champions).  It will also tell you how much experience the summoner received for that match.  Winning a match gives more experience than losing a match, but a each summoner receives experience regardless of the outcome (unless they're already at maximum level).

So really, instead of advancing a character as in an MMORPG, you're advancing your summoner (which is a fancy word meaning your account), and leveling up your summoner allows you to open more rune slots (which increase champion stats during matches) and access to more summoner spells (spells that anyone, regardless of the champion they are playing at the time has access to).

With this set up, you can tailor your summoner account to boost certain stats in game, and depending on which champion you choose to play will really determine what stats you want to boost.

Shjade pretty much covered the in-game part describing the equipment and such.

Shjade

Quote from: Caeli on May 28, 2011, 11:44:04 PM
Earlier, though, people mentioned "leveling up" - if you reset to level one at the beginning of every match, then what exactly is being leveled up?
Your hero unit - your champion - levels up through kills in combat on the battlefield up to a cap of...I think it's 15. Doesn't matter, they level up to a set cap, at which point their base stats are as high as they'll get and they have unlocked all their spells/abilities. Stats get increased from that point by buying equipment (and, in some cases, through abilities - one hero has a special attack that increases in damage by a few points every time you land a killing blow with that attack, for instance, so it will keep getting stronger as long as you keep killing with it regardless of your champion's level). When the match is over, all that's nullified so you have to re-grind your chosen champion's level on the next match.
◕/◕'s

Ryven

Max level is 18, but yes, once you achieve it, the only thing that is going to increase abilities from there are equipment, champion's own abilities, and buffs which can be received from NPC monsters on the map.

It's not so much the fact that you have to grind to 18 in the match, the point really is which team can both grind to 18 and get as much gold as they can the fastest while simultaneously denying the other team experience and gold.  Generally, whoever has the most gold the fastest will have the best equipment and will be able to push further into the enemy's base toward the ultimate goal of destroying the enemy's nexus.

meikle

while the control scheme of games like LoL is similar to RTS games, they focus is totally different from any other RTS (like starcraft or warcraft or age of empires or homeworld or total annihilation etc.

the genre is referred to as Dota (named after Defense of the Ancients, the first really popular take on it), or more generally as MOBA (multiplayer online battle arena), which just sounds incredibly nerdy.

it's a noteworthy distinction because if you told someone who is familiar with RTS games and then proceeded to show them LoL or explain what it's like, they'd probably recognize immediately that there is not really much in common besides 'right click to move' between any other RTS and LoL.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Aiden

I just ordered my Box set for this game. Can't beat 20 heroes +10 bucks in Riot points and other misc stuff for 20 bucks on amazon.

I'm still playing while I wait to upgrade it.

Aiden

Add me, maybe we can get a game in, anyone who plays.

onilobo

Trying to learn Tryndamere lately...

Shjade

Quote from: meikle on May 29, 2011, 12:58:54 AM
it's a noteworthy distinction because if you told someone who is familiar with RTS games and then proceeded to show them LoL or explain what it's like, they'd probably recognize immediately that there is not really much in common besides 'right click to move' between any other RTS and LoL.
On the contrary, as Ryven pointed out the majority of the game's competition is in both maximizing your gold and experience acquisition to make rapid progress while at the same time trying to slow your opposition's progress toward the same. Whether you try to "grind" your way up uninterrupted as fast as possible or focus on slowing your opponents' gathering through focused attacks or harassment is a strategic choice similar to deciding whether to turtle up and tech fast, rapidly expand, make an early timing push, make use of drops or fast units to harass workers, contain to prevent expansions, and so on in Starcraft.

Having fewer units to control doesn't make the games incomparable mechanically or strategically. This isn't a bad thing, mind you.
◕/◕'s

Aiden

My collectors edition came in finally, well worth the 20 bucks. 20 characters and 10 bucks with or RP.

Ryven

Enjoying Rammus again? :-)

Aiden

Big Poppa? Ohh hell yea, I am thinking of buying the ninja skin for him since I do end up KSing all the damn time with him, but is not like I can help all that massive aoe he does to get the final tick on a boss. People don't complain when I am taunting their targets to wail on me, but if I get the kill ohhh heeeeellll no!

Ryven

"Let me Ashe you a question.  You like LoL puns?  I got a Zilean of 'em."

Fiddle in the Middle

Samael

Are you guys playing on EU or US?

I've got a good range of champs on the EU servers. Tanks, support, DPS. My favorite is Teemo right now (Nothing makes people rage more than running through your shrooms), and alternatively I enjoy Cho'gath as a tank, and Sona/Janna as support. While I do have a few tanks, I feel they are just frustrating in Solo lane.
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Ryven

Ryven

Shjade

Reinstalled and started playing this again to see if I could get myself to like it. Judgment so far: ehhh...it still feels very endgame MMORPG in terms of just stacking the "right" talent/rune/gearset every time - there's not much real deviation as strategy goes (unlike, say, Starcraft, where there's "standard" but there are also a number of options that can be viable, even devastating, with significant differences from that standard) so their own definition for themselves as a battle arena game fits better. Unfortunately I don't really like arena games, which is probably why it doesn't have much inherent appeal for me.

On the other hand, hitting someone on one side of the map from the opposite side of the map with Ashe's arrow makes me happy.

Update: Ryze's ganking power is disgusting. That is all.
◕/◕'s

Tekimoto

I play league of legends. I really like it but there is a big downside to his game though.
The the waiting queue is most of the time like 1 hour and the servers are busy alot :/

Shjade

Hm. Only time I've seen a queue so far was on the patch day, which I gather is a common occurrence on their patches.
◕/◕'s

Shjade

So I finally managed to luck my way into a solo queue 5v5 normal that was devoid of both dickishness and one-sided smashing. This is probably the feeling that gets people to stick with the game: we started out fairly behind, but the momentum shifted when, in a big teamfight in mid, most of our team got wiped out, leaving only me there to kill two of the remaining four enemy champions (Morde es #1) and hold the mid turret against the other two until the team could recover. Morale skyrocketed, much cheering of Morde credit to team etc., and we methodically pushed each lane to make a determined comeback from there. Felt great taking a leadership role for the first time and not failing at it. The only downside was their team's Sivir getting disconnected for about five minutes not too long after that teamfight momentum swing, but hey, nothing's perfect.

When the community doesn't get in the game's way, it can be very fun. ^.^
◕/◕'s

coolhands

I love this game.  Its a really fun combination of mmo and rts gaming.  i love playing the ranged/carry champions like ashe or kog'maw.

coolhands

Is anyone excited for the new dominion game play mode.  To me it looks like a lot of fun.  It will take some time to get used to a new style of play.

Chris Brady

I love the design for this game, but it's WAAAAAAAY too hardcore for me.  Even if I got to 18, I'd still get my wide ass handed to me.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming