News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What will you never play again?

Started by Inkidu, August 25, 2009, 06:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: LunarSage on April 25, 2012, 03:07:49 PM
Six?  Didn't it go from three to seven?  I don't remember there being a six.  Three was the one with the green haired girl... Terra, right?  For the SNES?
Final Fantasy is a little tricky due to a localization decision. The actual two, three, and five were never released in America. Four and six were released as two and three, and they decided to just start back at seven when the Playstation hit shelves. This was done because the original 2, 3, and 5 were considered too hard for American audiences. A stupid decision from the Japanese higher ups because it leads to confusion like this and displays some real ignorance on Japan's part because the games aren't. However it goes as such:

1 (Both JP and US)
2 (JP only. Later released n the PS1 and GBA)
3 (JP only. Later released on the DS)
4 (2 in America. Most remakes *Funfact*)
5 (JP only. Released later on GBA)
6 (3 in America. Later released for the GBA and DS)

Then it picks up as you'd expect.

I really don't like the Japanese game market. Can't you tell?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Inkidu on April 25, 2012, 03:16:44 PM
This was done because the original 2, 3, and 5 were considered too hard for American audiences.

Funny enough theses three where as simple as any of the others....  Six was the best, Kefka was a beast and did what he set out to do....  even though he was defeated in the end.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Revelation

Mass Effect 3. The last 20 minutes kinda tanked the game for me.

RecklessRapscallion

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on April 25, 2012, 03:24:04 PM
Funny enough theses three where as simple as any of the others....  Six was the best, Kefka was a beast and did what he set out to do....  even though he was defeated in the end.

Pretty much Kefka was awesome, probably one of my favorite gaming villains.

Quote from: Changingsaint on April 26, 2012, 03:21:30 AM

Word, the ending was disappointing and was just created so EA could make more money.
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash Williams
O/O's - Under Construction

Malthas

In some Europe countries Final Fantasy was called Mystic quest.    Sound familiar?     Yeah it's also the same named often maligned RPG Square game made for the SNES for the poor Americans who couldn't handle the tougher stuff.   

Made me wonder, did it get called Mystic Quest: Mystic quest in some places?
Make them quiver.  Make them beg.   Make them belong.

Samael

Re: Final Fantasy.
I played the first few games on the GBA a few years ago, and I was really loving FF5, even more than 6.
Something just -clicked- in it, and I even completed all of the bonus content in it.
Loved that game.
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

SinXAzgard21

Most f2p MMOs, after dealing with to many pay2win games I'm sick of it.  I'll just stick to the ones I know are not corrupt in the sense that you have to dump 100+ bucks into it just to scratch someone in pvp.  Now if they are solidly not pay2win I can give them a shot but even then it is a maybe.

Sel Nar

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on April 26, 2012, 04:29:00 PM
Most f2p MMOs, after dealing with to many pay2win games I'm sick of it.  I'll just stick to the ones I know are not corrupt in the sense that you have to dump 100+ bucks into it just to scratch someone in pvp.  Now if they are solidly not pay2win I can give them a shot but even then it is a maybe.

All of that commentary can be attached to World of Tanks. Sick and fucking tired of getting plastered by someone that blew 700$ on in-game benefits.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Sel Nar on April 27, 2012, 12:14:52 AM
All of that commentary can be attached to World of Tanks. Sick and fucking tired of getting plastered by someone that blew 700$ on in-game benefits.

Yeah, I can use 700 bucks to upgrade my rig when it is needed.

Haruki

Quote from: Malthas on April 26, 2012, 05:54:19 AM
In some Europe countries Final Fantasy was called Mystic quest.    Sound familiar?     Yeah it's also the same named often maligned RPG Square game made for the SNES for the poor Americans who couldn't handle the tougher stuff.   

Made me wonder, did it get called Mystic Quest: Mystic quest in some places?

While I have no answer to your query, I have a hard time putting down FF:MQ.  I wouldn't personally go so far as to call it maligned.  Mystic Quest came out at a rather iffy time.....RPGs in general in the early 1990s (and still today) were a niche genre, especially when you get into console RPGs, most of which at that time were all done in Japan.  After the absolute failure by Nintendo to shove Dragon Quest (ahem.....Warrior) down our throats, I found Square's attempt better executed at introducing a newbie to turn-based style RPGs.  It just came out too far ahead of time.  It would have done better around the time FF VII got mega-huge for the younger set who may have wanted to get into turn-based console RPGs, but found FF VII too daunting.

Alas, it has been some years since I last fired up FF:MQ (I got it brand new as a X-mas gift back in 1992, but played it as recently as 5 years ago), but from what I remember of the experience, it wasn't THAT terrible.  Simple and fun, and doesn't take all that long to beat.

I'm currently doing a run of another old SNES title, Lagoon.  That's one many say they won't touch again (the battle setup is in real-time like the Zelda games, but it takes so much time to get the hang of the mechanics.....and the absurd attack range with that infamous 'toothpick of doom'), but it's one I've mastered and have beaten many times.  Back then I took what I could get for RPGs as most others had to...whatever the rental places had, or what I could afford (and that wasn't much).  All told, it's a sentimental favorite, which I'll wholly acknowledge, is flawed.  Nice soundtrack though.....it does its best at drawing one in.

There is one title though, just recently revisiting it today and will never again.  I fired up this old SNES port of a PC RPG....a little something called Drakkhen.  It was ported by Kemco......I'll say this much.  They know how to program nice-sounding MIDI-sampled soundtracks back in those days (it and Lagoon used the same 'samples', just this game's soundtrack is more 'mellow', where Lagoon has more 'hard-rock' edge in spots), and the early attempt of first-person-view roaming was ahead of its time on a game console, but that's the only saving grace.  It's best just to find the 'SPC' (SNES music format) sound file, the appropriate Winamp plugin to play it with, and listen to that in the clear, because that game cartridge is better used as a paperweight.  What a clunky POS game.  Died within the first 10 minutes of play.  :(

That's one I will not be playing again, ever.
Always Seeking New Players!!
Want to write with me?  Please see the following below:
=====
My Introduction
O/Os & Lists -- Thread | Profile | Character Profiles | Canon Cravings
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====
Eep!! Who's Yanking Me Away by the Ponytail?! (A&As)

Bayushi

I remember keeping my mother glued to her seat to keep up on the happenings in Final Fantasy III (US, AKA Final Fantasy VI) on the SNES. Never knew how I managed it back then, but I could keep my mother's attention playing anything from Super Mario 3/World to Zelda to Final Fantasy III. I can only imagine how engrossed she would have been at the PSX Final Fantasy titles (at least VII and VIII, as I didn't/don't like IX), but she never had the desire to buy a PSX. In fact, that SNES and a used Genesis were the newest consoles my family ever owned until they bought a Wii for my niece to play while at their house.

It still amazes me at times at what good games they were making that long ago. We're pushing 20 years since those days, already (which is just making me feel old).

Oniya

Quote from: Akiko on April 29, 2012, 12:33:06 AM
It still amazes me at times at what good games they were making that long ago. We're pushing 20 years since those days, already (which is just making me feel old).

It's okay - I kept the little Oni entertained for quite a while, playing FF1 for an hour a day as 'our cartoon'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Haruki

Quote from: Akiko on April 29, 2012, 12:33:06 AM
I think part of it has to do with the limitations of technology in those days.  I mentioned a few titles in my own reply above.  They had to rely on other senses.....the mental (imagination), the dialog / text, and the sound / music, to draw one into the world of the game and the story told throughout.  You had to give those little sprites onscreen your own mental likeness.....what they'd look like, how they'd sound.  It allowed the player (or in your example, the viewer) to use their mind a little more.

Nowadays, it's all there....visually (character models looking more 'realistic' and cinematic cutscenes), and vocally (via voice tracks).  The trouble therein lies in that there's little left to the human imagination.

The whole 'leaving more to the imagination' bit that drove the 16 and 32-bit eras of gaming.......that's what pulled me, and I'm sure many others (won't speak for them obviously) who were playing RPGs 'back in the days', into those stories with those characters.  It's why that era.....the SNES and PSX, are often hailed as the 'golden period' of role-playing games on consoles.

You wouldn't sell squat nowadays with folks wanting instant gratification and casual means in their gaming.  Nothing against any of that of course, but it's a different audience than what I'm familiar with.  The fan/player base had to put the pressure on to even get recent titles like The Last Story and Xenoblade out there, and through a 3rd party at that.

To get this back on the topic though.....I admit, I'm not sure what other games I would 'never' play again.  If someone brings up another I know and remember, I may be able to opine.
=====
My Introduction
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====

Inkidu

Quote from: Haruki on April 29, 2012, 08:00:39 PM
I think part of it has to do with the limitations of technology in those days.  I mentioned a few titles in my own reply above.  They had to rely on other senses.....the mental (imagination), the dialog / text, and the sound / music, to draw one into the world of the game and the story told throughout.  You had to give those little sprites onscreen your own mental likeness.....what they'd look like, how they'd sound.  It allowed the player (or in your example, the viewer) to use their mind a little more.

Nowadays, it's all there....visually (character models looking more 'realistic' and cinematic cutscenes), and vocally (via voice tracks).  The trouble therein lies in that there's little left to the human imagination.

The whole 'leaving more to the imagination' bit that drove the 16 and 32-bit eras of gaming.......that's what pulled me, and I'm sure many others (won't speak for them obviously) who were playing RPGs 'back in the days', into those stories with those characters.  It's why that era.....the SNES and PSX, are often hailed as the 'golden period' of role-playing games on consoles.

You wouldn't sell squat nowadays with folks wanting instant gratification and casual means in their gaming.  Nothing against any of that of course, but it's a different audience than what I'm familiar with.  The fan/player base had to put the pressure on to even get recent titles like The Last Story and Xenoblade out there, and through a 3rd party at that.

To get this back on the topic though.....I admit, I'm not sure what other games I would 'never' play again.  If someone brings up another I know and remember, I may be able to opine.
Eh, it's some of that, but it's also the fact that when you're younger you're more willing to imagine things into a game that no developer can plan for. There was an anecdote where a dad was letting his fairly young kids play GTAIV (under close supervision) and the first thing they did was play ambulance, they didn't go on rampages, they didn't do missions, they played ambulance. So it doesn't really matter what era of gaming it's from kids are generally more imaginative than us.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Haruki

Quote from: Inkidu on April 29, 2012, 09:55:07 PM
Eh, it's some of that, but it's also the fact that when you're younger you're more willing to imagine things into a game that no developer can plan for. There was an anecdote where a dad was letting his fairly young kids play GTAIV (under close supervision) and the first thing they did was play ambulance, they didn't go on rampages, they didn't do missions, they played ambulance. So it doesn't really matter what era of gaming it's from kids are generally more imaginative than us.

You make a good point with that.  I only know and remember what I played when I was in my (pre)-teenaged years.  I'm not at all familiar with games like GTA or anything dealing with FPS....ignorance through choice on my part (not a huge fan of such games).  It's not surprising that games like GTA, various FPS titles, and RPGs like Persona 3 and 4 have experienced success with their audiences.  They are fantasy, they allow you to take the role of something you are not in reality, but they differ in that (and this is because technology advances in gaming have allowed it) they allow more realistic methods of throwing one into the game.  I'm not sure how on the storytelling front, but graphically so.

Casual games are doing quite well too....the 'time killer' sorts of things, like how Tetris was to those of us who got it with the original Game Boy.

*Really thinking he should make his own thread on this topic, but would just be talking to himself.*

I know for sure, I'd probably be the one playing the ambulance in GTA.  :P
=====
My Introduction
=====

Bayushi

Quote from: Inkidu on April 25, 2012, 03:16:44 PM6 (3 in America. Later released for the GBA and DS)
Also released on PSX with FFIV and V.

Haruki

Quote from: Akiko on April 30, 2012, 01:16:10 AM
Also released on PSX with FFIV and V.

And it's one of those games I WILL revisit SOMEDAY, going against the title of this topic/thread.  Damn backlog of RPGs.  *eyes viciously*
=====
My Introduction
=====

Braioch

Quote from: Changingsaint on April 26, 2012, 03:21:30 AM

This is why headcanon is a wonderful thing ::)

Darnit, Shepard got his happy ending with Kaidan, I dun care what was eluded too!

xD

But seriously, it really put a negative feel to even the other two games. Shame that as everything up till that point was fantastic about the game.
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Inkidu

Quote from: Braioch on May 11, 2012, 10:09:53 PM
This is why headcanon is a wonderful thing ::)

Darnit, Shepard got his happy ending with Kaidan, I dun care what was eluded too!

xD

But seriously, it really put a negative feel to even the other two games. Shame that as everything up till that point was fantastic about the game.
That's what I think they were really doing. People often forget about that internal part of narrative. They left it big and nebulous so Shepard could really be doing anything at the moment, even though you're not going to see it on the screen.

I often find it ironic that the modern gamer doesn't want their hand held by tutorials and mechanics but often wants every story element spoon-fed to them. Not... bad... just ironic.

TyKing

I've got a list of games that I will never play again but here's the top three.

1. Silent Hill: Downpour. I consider this to be the worst Silent Hill to date. I played it for about six hours then boxed it up, took it back to Gamestop and got a refund. I'm pretty sure they ruined the series for me with that game.

2. Kingdoms of Amalur. That game went on and on forever then just when you thought it would end..it went on and on and on and on. Then I heard they released some DLC to make it longer??

3. Mass Effect 3. One word, awful.

Inkidu

Since Diablo 3 is now released (I was expecting some kind of last-minute troll delay because Blizzard/Activision is the closest thing to Satan in my opinion, and I wouldn't have put it above them) I can make it official and say I'm not only never going to play Diablo 3 (though I technically can't, even if I wanted to), I'm also never going to play any of the schlock that Blizzard pushes.

That felt good.

Sel Nar

Quote from: Inkidu on May 15, 2012, 12:56:48 PM
Since Diablo 3 is now released (I was expecting some kind of last-minute troll delay because Blizzard/Activision is the closest thing to Satan in my opinion, and I wouldn't have put it above them) I can make it official and say I'm not only never going to play Diablo 3 (though I technically can't, even if I wanted to), I'm also never going to play any of the schlock that Blizzard pushes.

That felt good.

How much of that is due to ActiBlizz's new policy of 'Always-online DRM' that Ubisoft got raked over the coals for?

Inkidu

Quote from: Sel Nar on May 15, 2012, 05:41:25 PM
How much of that is due to ActiBlizz's new policy of 'Always-online DRM' that Ubisoft got raked over the coals for?
Pretty much about sixty percent of it. Twenty percent is my disgust that they can go ten plus years milking a game that's nothing more than a money making Skinner Box,  and twenty is reserved for the fact that I don't think they make good games anymore. However, they've only released what five? So maybe that's unfair. (I know it's not five. I'm being mean.  >:))

Teo Torriatte

Quote from: TyKing on May 12, 2012, 10:59:09 AM
I've got a list of games that I will never play again but here's the top three.

1. Silent Hill: Downpour. I consider this to be the worst Silent Hill to date. I played it for about six hours then boxed it up, took it back to Gamestop and got a refund. I'm pretty sure they ruined the series for me with that game.

2. Kingdoms of Amalur. That game went on and on forever then just when you thought it would end..it went on and on and on and on. Then I heard they released some DLC to make it longer??

3. Mass Effect 3. One word, awful.

I enjoyed Amalur for all of about two hours. And I spent about a month on the gamefaqs message board hyping it up to the point of frustration, then I played it, the combat was alright but then it got really boring pretty quickly.

On the subject of FF:MQ, I actually did like that game, even though it definitely felt like FF:lite. But it had some things other FF games didn't have, such as multiple images for each monster depending on how hurt it was. And it was the second FF I actually finished, but I would later go back to finish all the ones that came out in NA (1,4,5,6) and by then I had the patience to finish 7,8,9 and 10 as they came out. I had a serious love/hate relationship with FF8 though. Grinding magic draws was a royal pain in the butt.

Couldn't stand FF12, btw.

Inkidu

Yeah, FF8 was work. However, I've figured out how to do most of the magic draw during disk one so that I get it all done. The rest is done through items and cards. :D