US Physicists create curved lasers...

Started by Vekseid, April 15, 2009, 06:54:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

...and all they can think of is using them as lightning rods.

The intensity profile of a normal laser beam is symmetrical around a central intense region, but the mask and lens are specially designed to impose an unusual asymmetric intensity profile, creating a so-called Airy beam. On the right-hand side of the Airy beam there is one intense bright region, and there is a series of smaller, less intense regions to the left (see image).

As the pulse moves away from the lens, energy flows between the different intensity regions. Because of the underlying asymmetry, the beam bends around 5 millimetres to the right over its 60-centimetre measured length. That's not enough to send the beams around sharp corners, but they could be guided around objects, such as cells, in microscopic applications.

Not exactly a sharp curve, but it's one of those "WTF, cool!" moments.

The Overlord

That is cool, but give it time; that's the sort of innovation that will get multiple applications.

Inkidu

And we still don't have lightsabers? Science's priorities are so off. <.<
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Rhapsody

Quote from: Vekseid on April 15, 2009, 06:54:33 AM
...and all they can think of is using them as lightning rods.

I'm inclined to think they've certainly thought of more things to do with curved lasers, but they don't want to panic the public with their mad plans for world domination.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

Inkidu

Just think the Death Star could have shot around Yavin 4 and hit the moon with no problem!
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

so now round rooms can be illuminated... hurray for science.

Ordell

It's actually a pretty cool thing and a huge advancement in potential medical use in the future.  Who knows, that small curve may just make something potentially unreachable, reachable now.

Mnemaxa

As a matter of fact, they already have used it in tests to fire a laser around 'cells' to strike cells behind the obscuring cells.  They could treat injuries, possibly even cancer cells inside muscles, lymph nodes, and other problems obscured by healthy tissue without cutting or damaging healthy tissue to get at the bad.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Rhapsody

That would be an awesome step in treating a lot of diseases and conditions.  My grandmother died of cancer a few years ago; I'm all for anything that helps make the disease more of a curable illness than a life-threatening concern.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

Merlyn

Heck forget the lightsabers, maybe they can make the light whips soon.
Check here if you care why I haven't been around.
Why must all of humanity be consumed by such insanity?

"I know not with what weapons world war three will be fought with, but world war four will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein.

Ons and Offs