Halfs And Wholes [byShia&National Acrobat, idea by Shia,with summary, COMPLETED]

Started by Shia, February 24, 2010, 09:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

National Acrobat

'Mmm, that would work, it has a very nice ring to it' he said to her, smiling. 'I like that idea, of two joining to become one' he added as she kissed him lightly. He rubbed her belly some more, and kissed her some more. He decided to get up and shut the bedroom door, then came back to the bed, and gave her another light kiss. 'Hmm, I seem unable to sleep, and unable to keep my hands off of you' he said, dimming the lights.

/fade away to morning.

Shia

The oncoming weekend felt like a gift of heaven, they still had a few days left until the delivery and re-discovering each other's essences again filled Imma's being with a new sort of radiance which was the glow of a mature woman and also: the mother's. Even her desire to retreat was gone and it was she who initiated to go to the spiritual gathering on Sunday, then to the park, just the three of them, and listen to the music there, country this time and she knew exactly how much it meant for her husband.
Take me there, take me there... she smiled and giggled to him in the morning, speaking about the smell and sound of rustling autumn leaves on the ground, pleasantly chilly air as the 'best make-up for women'... and yet there was that unmistakable fear of the unknown in her voice - the thrill of doing things for the last time... 

National Acrobat

It was uncanny the way things had come together. The week was literally a whirlwind of activity, all centered around the family. The weather had cooperated to the extent that Cody was starting to think that some divine providence had interfered to give them such a week. When they had decided to go to the park, he'd packed a picnic lunch, and brought a few special desserts and snacks as well. It was a good day to sit on a blanket, with a few pillows, and be lazy and take comfort in each other, the warm weather, and of course, some music.

He sat there, Imma's head in his lap, eyes closed, the sun beating down on them.

Shia

Therefore it came as a complete shock when she finally came up with what was a burden on her poor heart for weeks if not for months, while a slow song was played, making many couples daydream in each other's arms, some of them dancing, others sharing kisses around them.
Okay, she couldn't see that but anyway, how could she talk about thoughts like that now?! And yet it was just right, after all they were parents as well, already under the pressure of multiplied responsibilty.
"Rich.. I was thinking on... leaving the child with you and Isa.. and to.. retreat to a place where they can.. take care of me. Amongst others, in similar conditions..."
Insitute. A stepmother. Parting. So this was the future to face after Corinna's arrival?? It was fact that Aelina whom Imma chose as her doctor couldn't come up with any good news until now but... this idea was too much, simply too much to bear.

National Acrobat

'No, no. Not at all' he said, touching her belly softly. 'We are a family, Imma' he said. 'If anything, I will take care of you, with your sister's help, and doctor. I would rather you be at home, surrounded by love. The thought of you being anywhere else is simply too dreadful for words' he said to her, leaning down to kiss her cheek. 'We are life partners, and that means through everything' he added, reinforcing his earlier words to her that he would be with her throughout whatever life threw at them.

Shia

"But she knows your hands.. And Isabelle's hands.. And Mimi's hands... It's gonna be you who'll actually take care of her. What.. what is that I can give her?? I'm constantly thinking about this, all the time... Is this.. a sign of weakness?? That I already love her so much.. that I could give her to a real mother who.. can express her love?..."
Imma adjusted herself a bit to lean more against his body, to sit up a bit more.
"Cody, I'm serious.. How will we be able to perform this??"
Her second question was almost cutting the mild autumn air with its pure honesty.

National Acrobat

'Imma, she will hear your voice, lay on your stomach and feel your heartbeat, feel your kiss upon her cheek' he said to her, caressing her hair now. 'She will know the love, and that's what is the most important, as she lays in the bed next to you, drawing the warmth and support from you' he said to her. 'You can give her so much, so very much. She can learn so much from you as you recount your tales of your life, and fill her head with thing she needs to know' he added.

'I see what you can give her, and it's a lot' he said.

Shia

She paused for a while... tilting her head to the side and back, just like pondering his words...
"You said Isabelle arrives the day after tomorrow?"
The band on the stage, wearing authentic Western outfits, already changed to a more vivid song and tune, tearing apart those dancing couples but only to sit them on blankets and benches again, making their palms clap following the spinning rythm.

National Acrobat

'I believe so, yes' he said to her. He was holding her close now, arm around her, constantly touching her. He couldn't bear the thought of her going anywhere really. She had a strength that their daughter would need to feel and hear, and to see. It was too important. He thought about all of the things that Imma would be able to teach her as well, with that soothing voice, and years of experience.

Shia

"Okay..." She said, almost whispering, taking a deep breath. "Cause.. in this case.. I think you should tell her tomorrow.. and also call Aelina.. I've just lost water, Rich." She was giggling and trembling at the same time, pressing against his arm as the first, relatively mild wave of pain touched her.
"The water..."
Almost as soon as she mentioned this 'tiny' happening he could feel that too, that quickly expanding wet circle on the blanket, accompanied by the enthusiastic applause of the audience in the park - the band has just finished their production, extra songs were to come now.

National Acrobat

'Oh my, we need to go!' he said, and he gently lifted her into the wheelchair, and got on his phone to call the hospital, to let them know they were coming. He headed back to the house, where they could get into their vehicle. He was nervous as could be, and had to ask Imma's sister to pack a bag for her, which would be brought to the hospital. He tried to be controlled as they made their way to the hospital. Paperwork still had to be filled out in the hospital while they got her ready for the birthing room.

Shia

But she was, of course, much more stubborn than a soon-to-be-father could ever be and days ago got everything prepared by Mimi and Doc -also that first soft dolphin figure they bought for Corrie back on Earth- and this way her very nervous husband only had to throw the medium sized bag into the back of their transporter, so they could take the shortest way to the hospital wing of this giant station.
There Aelina was already waiting for them, right at the entrance and from the very first moment she ruled the situation with her most professional calmness. A natural birth was excluded long ago since the mother was unable to give birth with such a fractured, wounded waist and pelvis. So now their most important mission was to minimalize bleeding throughout the surgery - which Imma had to experience conscious all the time, only without pain. Cody was allowed to sit by her head, squeezing her shoulder and keeping her focused and above the surface, by all means.
Doc assisted to the process with all his lifelong experience and to be the first relative to greet their little girl. No matter how hard Richardson tried to be the one in his role, just to make sure about his wife's condition it was against the code to let him work in such an anxious state of mind and close relation to the patient. So the stool close to the table was his place now.
"Rich??..." Imma turned her head towards the young man once she heard him enter and approach, already in a sterile cape and cap while the leading surgeon herself was still scrubbing in.
Her cheeks were pale now and her heart trembling for the future of their most beloved baby as she was lying there, fully monitored and belly exposed to the sharp lights. Doc was busy with setting the music the parents chose for Corinna - Bee Gees, something classic for a brand new one, but all this spiced with the beautiful sounds of whales, a message of piece and harmony. They were listening to those voices a lot together before and every time the child was joyful and relaxed hearing those. Now her rates seemed perfect too, just like the mother's but everybody knew the latter one could get the worst in any second...

National Acrobat

He'd been glad for her preparations, because she was right in her assumptions. He would have been a total wreck trying to get everything ready to go, and would have forgotten just about anything of importance, but then again, it was usually that way when it came to the dads and their actions at times like this.

Now they were in the operating room, and he was nervous. He tried to distance himself from being the medical professional that he was, and focus on being the doting, supportive husband that he was, and he sat with her, smiling, comforting and warm, all the while soothing her and keeping her mind on all of the positives, while he heard and witnessed the team that was assembled to bring their daughter into the world. He had a mixture of emotions running through him at this time.

Shia

"You've felt this, mommy?..." Aelina carefully made the puncture tests all around Imma's belly to make sure she was numb enough not to be aware of the cuts that were to go deep down into her body.
Yes, she had her own, strange style and manners but she was still the best in the whole surgical unit.
"No, nothing" Her former colleague replied with a trembling tone, focusing on her friend's voice and also on Cody's caressing hand on her temple.
Once again the surgeon leaned closer, giving the patient an extra smile.
"Soon that baby will shout 'hurray' on your chest and you're gonna hear it Simmons. Nothing else matters now, 'kay?"
"You're perfectly right, Doctor Sparks." Doc moved closer himself, saying a few soothing words to Imma once again before Aelina asked for the scalpel and excitement became tangible in the room. Seconds. Waiting...
"Rich...? You remember.. how we met for the first time? The very first time?" She pressed her slightly sweating forehead against Cody's, trying to breathe calmed enough.

National Acrobat

'Of course I do' he said, hands gently caressing and massaging her. 'How could I forget? I remember the first time for everything with you, Imma' he said to her, soothing her with his voice. 'This day will be no exception, the day our first child is born' he said sweetly to her, still touching her lightly, the love in his voice. His concerns were in his mind at this point, not verbalizing them nor showing them to her. He needed to be strong for her, so she could be strong as well.

Shia

And Imma grinned back, rubbing her cheek against his. Whispering "Tell me... Please, tell me about it... When we met in the dining hall, at the University..."
She couldn't have the faintest idea -fortunately- that the loss of blood already painted her face pale and her lips bluish, for her there was only Cody and their love they were about to share with a third one for a lifetime.
Aelina shook her head frustratedly but kept on doing her best, carefully making her way towards the uterus - and sweet Corinna...

National Acrobat

'When we met, I saw you for the first time, and your eyes met mine, and I know I blushed, crimson. I had been caught staring, much like I still do' he said to her, grinning. 'I remember being such a klutz and almost tripping after I finally got up the courage to come and speak to you. You have no idea how close you came to wearing my lunch that day' he added, laughing. 'I knew right then and there that you were the one for me, but at the time, I didn't want to ruin any chance at a friendship, that was the more important thing at the start. Still, I remember how radiant you looked, and still do, the first time I saw you across from me in that crowded hall. It was fate' he said to her. The dining hall had been packed to overflowing, yet that moment his eyes only saw one person. It was as if everyone else had simply vanished according to his mind.

Shia

...She sighed, waiting in the long, seemingly endless queue, glancing at her watch time to time, and when she finally got what she wished to have on her tray the slim and tall young woman rushed to a free table, burrying herself into reading and eating at the same time. Her long veil of shiny dark brown hair formed a tent over her notes, just like everything else vanished around her for the next twenty minutes - now that final exams were approaching a sight of a student like that wasn't a rare thing in the large buildings of the medical university.
She was one of those pretty invisible ones, just jeans and a stretch T-shirt, never a loud word, all in all Imma Simmons rather looked like a hippy who was left behind there, in the distant future to save the world again. But when it was about knowledge and professionalism she was always amongst the bests, invited to the big conferences, having dinner with their professors. Then she faded back to wear the disguise of a perfectly average girl...

National Acrobat

It was too quiet. Cody was starting to get worried, and he could see Imma was fading. He knew he wasn't on duty, and that he wasn't supposed to help, but he felt so helpless at the moment...

Shia

The anesthesiologist's hand quickly moved and after an injection into the branule Imma's expression changed, it was aware and a smiling one again. Sure, she was still in the past though.
"I remember.. how you just stood there, next to the table.. blinking at me like a little boy..." She chuckled weakly to her husband, while Sparks and Doc opened up her belly, revealing warm and vividly pulsating flesh, covering the uterus.
Aelina didn't waste a second and cut on...

National Acrobat

'Of course I did. I was dumbstruck. I hadn't expected you to basically invite me over to sit with you. I thought I had been invisible as I watched you. Little did I know that I had been seen' he said, chuckling. 'It is a good thing that I had enough sense left in me to come over and talk to you' he added. 'Once I heard your laugh as we started talking, I was hooked' he said to her.

They had reluctantly parted, both having classes to attend, but met the next day on their off day at a coffee shop, and spent almost the whole day talking. 'I remember the day in the coffee shop. We made them so mad. All we bought was coffee, and we spent nearly eight hours chatting' he said.

Shia

It seemed Mr. and Mrs. Richardson were able to go romantic even in the middle of an operation - also when it was Imma in the role of the patient. But Aelina simply must quit the charming scene with the very happy announcement - she could pay a few seconds fully to the newcomer while Doc kept an eye on any possible bleeding.
"Look who's here! Wonderful!" She smiled gladly beyond the sterile mask, carefully grabbing then lifting their tiny daughter out from the mother's body and into the air.
Corinna was a bit blue and very very grimy but already moving and strong, with an expression of complete contempt for this cold and noisy world on her wrinkled face.
Imma almost tried to rise from the table in her anxious excitement.
"Is she OK?! Rich?! Is she all right??!" 

National Acrobat

'She's beautiful, and looks just like you' he said, a few tears sliding down his cheeks. 'She's absolutely gorgeous, and she's already wrinkling her nose, complaining about her arrival, just like a good baby should' he said, caressing his wife's hair. 'She's lovely' he said, in awe and wonder. He was a dad now. A father. 'She's wonderful, just like her mother' he said, kissing her cheek. 'Once they get her cleaned up, we'll start the introductions' he said.

Shia

But one thing was left - Imma heard Sparks' cheerfully urging sound to his husband as she was crying in happiness herself - a nurse already covered her chest with a towel...!
"Wanna cut what must be cut?" She held up the navel string for the proud father while an intern was ready to handle him the scissor.
The whole scene was so magical, so ethereal that Cody couldn't even notice what a hard work Doc was doing to stop the mother's bleeding as soon as it was possible, nor the anasthesiologist's efforts to keep her awake and oxigenised enough...

National Acrobat

'Oh, of course, although I am trembling so much from joy, I need to calm down a bit' he said, overwhelmed with happiness. He was so blissfully unaware, but he took the scissors and cut the cord, finishing the birth process, and he leaned down and kissed Imma while the nurse took the wailing bundle of joy over to be examined and cleaned up before she was dressed.