A Fool's Errand

Started by Ringtail69, December 18, 2011, 10:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringtail69

I would like to play a fantasy adventure rp where the goal of this group of adventurers is to go after some goal that is deemed impossible or after an object of great power that is said not to exist. I have no ideas set in stone yet so if anyone is interested just post here and we can talk.

rachelongaku

That's very vague. But I guess I could possibly be interested. Perhaps a fantasy world facing a possible apocalypse and searching for an object that could save the world?
Haven't been here in years but I'm in need of a good distraction!

who149

You just described 50% of all stories pal XD

Any rate. heres an Idea

Kingdom A is in war with Kingdom B

For simplicties sake, and so we don't have to work with politics, Kingdom B is evil

You are a bunch of Rag Tag Group of Misfits from Kingdom A.

The item your looking for (The MacGuffin if you will) will tip the balance so that Kingdom A will win the war.

The MacGuffin is guarded deep in a mountain however, and you will certainly need a map.

Thats my basic idea anyway.
Been away, now i'm back. Updated based off changes in my life.

Ons and offs!

bubby

What who said darlin'. You'll need to be a bit more specific. And Who also has a good premise to begin with.

You need the good guys and the antagonists. You should have a guideline on what sort of characters you're looking for, as well as what sort of powers are allowed. If not you could set up for people being uber crazy and god-modey.

You should state whether you're looking for people willing to put effort into posts, or if it doesn't matter to you, as well as how often you'd like to see posting happen.

Pictures are good! Finding lovely pictures of far off fantasy lands are nice to see and tend to spark interest as well.

I apologize if I've over stepped with adding my two cents, just thought I'd try and help you along in your endeavor.

AndyZ

If I may offer my own suggestions:

I personally don't recommend having two groups.  It makes for easier conflict for a GM who's not used to such things, but having two groups as such can easily overwhelm a GM who has to deal with deciding who's going to win and who's going to lose.  Compare that to having the GM control all the antagonists, where conflict can be difficult but doesn't often come across having an immovable object and irresistible force.

A singular Macguffin, while instrumental in many movies, becomes a little more difficult in a group setting.  After all, everybody wants the Macguffin.  If the object desired is a +12 Hackmaster Broadsword and you have 10 players, you can expect 7 of the players to play swordmasters and to fight over who gets the weapon.

Hope some of that helps.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

who149

Eh most of what I said was babble from the top of my head.

I don't think he's coming back. Hm. Maybe I should run a RP or a D&D game. Of course, last time I did that it ended badly too all who were involved. I for some reason stopped coming on E, and never really got far in the it.

But I suppose that happens to everyone at some point. I could always give it a go, although I lack any descriptive skills required to run most games, as I can be a bit vague when it comes to describing an area.

Ons and offs!

Ringtail69

Quote from: bubby on December 19, 2011, 12:47:23 PM
What who said darlin'. You'll need to be a bit more specific. And Who also has a good premise to begin with.

You need the good guys and the antagonists. You should have a guideline on what sort of characters you're looking for, as well as what sort of powers are allowed. If not you could set up for people being uber crazy and god-modey.

You should state whether you're looking for people willing to put effort into posts, or if it doesn't matter to you, as well as how often you'd like to see posting happen.

Pictures are good! Finding lovely pictures of far off fantasy lands are nice to see and tend to spark interest as well.

I apologize if I've over stepped with adding my two cents, just thought I'd try and help you along in your endeavor.

No, thank you because you have a point there bubby. I am looking for a well balanced typical fantasy adventurer (for me I use dnd classes for ideas), and to me a well balanced group would have a healer, a spell caster, a rogue, a warrior and maybe a ranger of sorts oh and as for the power level of characters im thinking mid-level characters. At least two to four lines as a minimum for posts.

Quote from: who149 on December 19, 2011, 12:06:00 AM
You just described 50% of all stories pal XD

Any rate. heres an Idea

Kingdom A is in war with Kingdom B

For simplicties sake, and so we don't have to work with politics, Kingdom B is evil

You are a bunch of Rag Tag Group of Misfits from Kingdom A.

The item your looking for (The MacGuffin if you will) will tip the balance so that Kingdom A will win the war.

The MacGuffin is guarded deep in a mountain however, and you will certainly need a map.

Thats my basic idea anyway.

Quote from: rachelongaku on December 18, 2011, 10:19:33 PM
That's very vague. But I guess I could possibly be interested. Perhaps a fantasy world facing a possible apocalypse and searching for an object that could save the world?

I like both of rachel's and who's ideas so how about we combine them? there has been an escalating war between Kingdom A and Kingdom B and no matter which kingdom we come from the other would be the evil one since that is how generations would be taught during war. As for the apocalypse idea it could be simple since the war is getting so horrible that the higher ups in both kingdoms have hired groups of adventurers to search out some type of magical artifact that only their most powerful mages can use (that way the party members will not fight over the MacGuffin).

So how does that sound? I know I still need to hammer out the finer details, but that can be done before we start.

AndyZ

If you like, I can keep an eye on this game and add you on a messenger program so that you have someone you can poke with questions and such.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Muse

How are you wanting to do this game, Ringtail?  Will you use a system like D&D or Pathfinder? 

(Mutants and Masterminds is good for MacGuffins.) 

What kind of sexual content do you want? 

I could give some sugestions, but it would help to know those things. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Ringtail69

Well I would not mind it going something similar to a D&D setting but without the dice, sexual content level would there is some but the rp is not focused on it.

And I would not mind that Andy, thank you for the offer.

Chrystal

Always up for a good MacGuffin hunt....

Here's an idea, feel free to toss it around and kick it out the window, but it could liven things up...

I think the idea so far is workable, but if the King sent out a proclamation through the land for heroes (and heroines) to go in search of the legendary MacGuffin (I love that word!), then it would work for the party being a "rag tag group of misfits".

As for what the MacGuffin is, how about a dragon egg? An item of legend only, held in a magical stasis field and guarded by hordes of nasty creatures (possibly even mummy-dragon, although that is possibly pushing things... But I have an idea about that). When we start out, we don't even know if the egg is real or just a myth. But desperate times call for desperate measures.

The title "A Fool's Errand" suggests that not everyone who sets out will be coming back? (A high body count is a good way to deal with drop-outs!) Non-Player Characters (NPCs) are great for killing off in the early stages!

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

AndyZ

Quote from: Ringtail69 on December 31, 2011, 08:12:44 PM
Well I would not mind it going something similar to a D&D setting but without the dice, sexual content level would there is some but the rp is not focused on it.

And I would not mind that Andy, thank you for the offer.

Glad I can help ^_^  Want me to make a character also or just stay back so I can provide advice without worrying about spoiling anything?

Ringtail69

just a bump to bring this back to the top and to see if any of the old players that were interested are still interested or if new people would like to join

Chrystal

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

grovercjuk

I am interested if there is a slot?

who149

Ons and offs!

Apple of Eris

I just got here, but this sounds fairly interesting. If it ever picks up or whatever, I'd like to give it a go.
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Ringtail69

thanks for joining grover and apple and thank you chrystal and who for sticking around.

well we got some players now, does anyone care to post their character's description first?

Apple of Eris

Well, I don't want to go first with a character description, but I'm thinking some kind of archer/ranger type, female of course. Maybe an elf or half-elf if that's okay, as I'm somewhat elf-obsessed. I'll have something more substantial Friday.
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Ringtail69

that's fine with me, elves and rangers are always welcome. cant wait till Friday so i can see you fleshed out character.

Chrystal

Ring, you might want to consider creating a character sheet, but if you don't have the inspiration for that, you can borrow mine. I'll post the code after...

Player: Chrystal

Name: Niomah

Height: 5'7¼"
Build: Slender
Race: Human so far as anyone can tell.

Sexuality: Lesbian

Personality: Niomah is mostly quiet and reserved, she acts as though she carries a great weight or a dark secret. But once she gets to know her companions, she may come out of her shell a little and there is a possibility that she may even become the life of the party. Her trust is not easily earned, but once it is, she is completely loyal to those who have it. Betray her, though, and you had better do a thorough job for if she survives have an enemy you will most surely regret making!

History: Niomah is something of an enigma. She has turned up at the king's court totally at random, refused to give any details about herself, and simply declared that she will participate in the quest. When questioned about her talents and suitability, she raised a ring of fire around the throne, and when guards rushed to restrain her, knocked them flat with a wave of her hand. If anyone questions her about her past, she is mysterious and evasive and the most anyone is ever able to get out of her is "That shall be revealed if necessary at the appropriate time".

[float=right][img height=300 padding=10]Put the URL of your character's picture here.[/img][/float]
[b]Player:[/b] Your Login ID

[b]Name:[/b] The name of your character

[b]Gender:[/b] M/F
[b]Age:[/b] How old are they (or do they appear to be)
[b]Height:[/b] How tall are they?
[b]Build:[/b] What sort of size are they in relation to their height?
[b]Race:[/b] The usual fantasy races.

[b]Sexuality:[/b] Straight, gay or bi?

[b]Occupation:[/b] What is their role on the quest?

[b]Personality:[/b] What are they like as a person?

[b]History:[/b] Brief history of your character, where they grew up, what they did before coming on the quest, why they are on the quest...

Hope that works for people?

If you have trouble with the picture bit, PM me and I'll try and help.

Teridas

This could be interesting, I'd like to join if you don't mind.
I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.  I aim with my eye.

I do not shoot with my hand;  He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.  I shoot with my mind.

I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.  I kill with my heart.

Apple of Eris

Player: Apple

Name: Leithianen

Height: 5'3"
Build: Slim
Race: Elven

Sexuality: Bisexual

Personality:  Amongst her own people she is kind, generous, and friendly. She has something of a wry sense of humor when she displays that side of herself. Amongst humans though, she feels like a fish out of water. She doesn't fully understand human customs or expressions, having limited dealing with the shorter lived race. What few dealings she has had with humans were mostly limited to those of the other kingdom, who betrayed her people, leaving her with little trust of the race, but feeling she had few options but to help with the quest to protect her own people.

History: A scout of the Elven people, she has spent nearly her entire adult life protecting thr forests from their enemies. As war loomed between the two human kingdoms and the armies massed, her people sought assurance from both kingdoms they would respect the neutrality of the elven forests. She accompanied the delegation that was ambushed and slain almost entirely. Her bravery in battle left her wounded, but she managed to save a handful of her people from the humans. Betrayed, and the woods invaded by the humans, who sought to destroy or subjugate the elves, she has answered the call of the King, hoping the artifact they seek will save her people from the continued ravages of the war.

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Teridas

Player: Teridas

Name: Senrathis (Sen) Valore

Height: 6'3
Build: Toned
Race: Half-Elf

Sexuality: Straight

Personality: Sen is normally a comical character in most situations, although in dire moments is he truly serious. Calm, collective, and intelligent. Sen strives for perfection through his potions and enchantments and settles for nothing less. Enjoys a challenge and rarely declines, even if the odds are not in his favor. Although normally disgraced by both human and elves, Sen does what he can to fit in although he plays it off like he doesn't give a damn.

History: Sen's upbringing was nothing short of a challenge within itself. Being shunned out by both races he joined a band of minstrels and wandered the world, captivating audiences with his performances using various potions and magic. As time continued, Senrathis would eventually leave the minstrels in order to find his own calling. Thusly he has arrived at the King's court to find the object in hopes to lead him down his path.
I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.  I aim with my eye.

I do not shoot with my hand;  He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.  I shoot with my mind.

I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.  I kill with my heart.

who149

Player: Who149
Name: Angoth

Height: 6'o"
Build: Semi-Muscular
Race: Human

Sexuality: Bi-sexual

Personality: Straight to the point, and a bit sarcastic. While he is a sword for hire, he has his own morals.  He never accepts a job that's too shady, nor does he ever switch sides when given a job. When not working, he enjoys to spend his time in a tavern, with women, wine, and song.  Compared to most, he's not very bright, and he can be a bit blunt, but if there is one thing to be sure, he gets the job done.

History: He says that he was once a soldier, from where he won't tell you. He doesn't speak much of his distant past, but will gladly tell you everything of the last 5 years, the day he got into the mercenary business. His first job was just him and a bunch of other guys tracking down some thief who stole something from some rich bloke, at least that's what the job description said. Turns out the "thief" was actually some powerful arch-mage that ended up wiping out half his team.

The arch-mage got away, but he alone was able to acquire the artifact taken, and had gotten it to his client. He had hoped never to take a job that dangerous again, and for a while, that was true. However with the newest assignment he had been given, it looks like that hope had been smashed.

Ons and offs!