News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Did the earth move for you?

Started by Elvi, February 26, 2008, 07:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elvi

Bloody hell....

We've just had an earthquake...
We wobbled for about ten seconds, it was very strange.

Switching on the radio, we caught the news, apparently, the texts and emails they've been getting, it's almost country wide.

So........If we suddenly dissappear, send out the dogs, we'll be buried under the house clinging to our PC's...*laughs*
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Trieste

Neat! Do you know what scale it was?

Err... well, not neat that you saw it firsthand, and I'm glad y'all are okay. But now that I know you're okay, it's neat. *nodnods* Oh, man, why do I taste bootleather...?

It gives me the mental image, though, of you and Strangely ('cause I take it y'all two live together?) arms wrapped around your PCs, going "AUGH! No! Mi computadore, es malo!" ... I don't know why it's in Spanish, though. Chalk it up to febrile flu-ness and also take a plague-free hug for the shakes, 'cause that sure as hell would have scared me. :)

Sabby

...an earthquake? Wow... never felt one before, but I have tried laying in my bath tub and trying to figure out just how that would help if the ground was shaking.

And a little off topic, but... Elvi, where is your avatar from? It looks really familiar to a character maker in a game I play. Its been bugging me.

Bishrook aka Fate sisters

Wow!
California girl here!
I've never heard of an earthquake in the UK...but what do I know?
Welcome to shake, rattle and roll club.
Steph
Weaver of threads
 Clotho who spins,Lachesis who weaves Atopos who cuts
We are the fate sisters, the Moerae, who apportion your destiny.
ons and offs
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=7310.0

Elvi

Well we survived....*laughs*

It was only a little one, 4.7 they reckon, although it was relatively near, so we got 'wobbled'.
Earthquakes are VERY rare in the UK, so it's caused a bit of a stir, but no real damage that we have seen reported.

Trieste...well, what can I say?
(Apart from the fact that I can't speak Spannish)
We had just been down to make coffee and sat down at our PC's, when everything began to shudder a little.
My immedaite reaction (living in a rural area, where they use huge heavy trucks to haul sugar beat), was, 'what the hell is that truck doing at this time of the morning', then the 'wobbling' got more violent and we realised it wasn't just a truck.

May have only lasted 10-15 seconds, for which I am thankful for, because it continued to get more violent, then just stopped....
Not at all as I would have expected, though I had an eddy in my coffee mug and it had set a rather disconcerting wobble off on my monitor.

No damage here, no real reports of major damage elsewhere.
We traced the epicentre (on a really nifty 'incident' site Strangely has) and it was in a very underpopulated and rural area of Lincolnshire.
(Under a bush in between two houses) Though I pity the poor buggers who were almost sat on top of it...

All in all an experience....*grins*

And a little off topic, but... Elvi, where is your avatar from? It looks really familiar to a character maker in a game I play. Its been bugging me.

Sabbat, Strangely has just started using the Daz programs and it was an exercise in using it. He posed her (altering it to look similar to my elvi avatar, that I had made) and then I fiddled with it on photo shop to see what I could do colouring wise.
Any resemblence to anyone (other than myself), either in real life or fanatasy, is purely coincidental...

Elvi

Caeli

Wow... I've never felt an earthquake on that scale before, not that I can remember in my short, short life. ^^;

I'm glad that (it seems?) everyone is okay though.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Elvi

Oh hell yes....Compared to others who are members here, this is nothing and it was no more than some rather 'interesting' wobbles here.
It looks as though there were very few major injuries and damage, so I guess we were all quite lucky..

Cherri Tart

lol - yeah, they are kind of...well, unsettling at times... though, to be honest, i rarely notice them anymore, unless they are real shakers, but yes, a 5.2 is pretty respectable.  In the future, Elvi, may i suggest going into prime earthquake position if it happens again?  and yes, that does include having a parnter either above or below you ;)

glad you're all ok - i know that the buildings over there are probably not built to EQ code, so really, a small shaker could do a lot more damage then out here.  *hugs* and yes, btw, i noticed your new avatar too and was going to comment on it - i'm guessing Strangley made it up for you? :D
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

strangely made

Ok, so we have an earthquake the other night............now we've just had an explosion the Gas works...........not that we knew what it was untill we got on line.

Turns out one of the Site had an explosion that required 10 fire crews and was described as a major incident. Now this gas site pumps something like 53million cubic litres per day of gas into Britain from the north sea and there are four other sites all in the one giant complex.so that's a lot of gas,  plus the stuff that they are pumping over from Norway.

Elvi

Rumours of our deaths have been greatly exagerated.....

strangely made

Still didn't clear out my bloody sinus though *grump*

Spookie Monster

I'm very glad to hear that you guys are all right; even a relatively minor earthquake can yield major problems.  I had the privilege of experiencing a magnitude 7 earthquake and I must say that it was rather inconvenient.

Spel

I actually started drafting this post yesterday and planned to post it right after I'd finished.  I was going to conclude it with "Keep on the lookout for deros!", but I didn't know whether to spell deros as deros or deroes or Deros or whatever.  Rather than actually stand up, take a long walk over to the nearby bookcase, find a suitable title for reference, and look up the word there, I decided to look it up online.  I headed off to Google, typed in "deros," started surfing...

Suddenly, the power went out.  It didn't come back on for an hour or two.  My Internet connection didn't sort itself out until today.

"Keep on the lookout for deros!" indeed!
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Jester

My girlfriend was in birmingham in a hotel room and felt it but i was down in london and felt nothing.

Apparently though some people felt it in Kent which i find difficult to believe.

I must say I am always suspicious when the girlfriend tells me the world moved when i was not there!

Elvi

As soo as it happened, we turned onto the radio station 'Five live'.
They had just started the news and the program presenter (who was in London) actually interupted the news with words to the effect of..."Ermmm has anyone just felt the building shake, or am I drinking too much coffee?"

So yes, it was felt down there, however, as here, if people were asleep, then they probably weren't aware of it.

Oh and Spel, I think our 'Brownies' have refused to let the Deros in....*laughs*

Todays strange occurance...It's really warm outside but the wind is gusting gale force....

Humble Scribe

I slept through it here in London. But I used to live up in the Midlands and I remember the one we had in 1984. That was a weird feeling - everything moving and I couldn't quite work out why.

One of the girls who works for me is from Coventry, and she said that her brother phoned her at 1am or whatever time it happened, telling her a poltergeist had thrown him out of bed. I'll bet he feels a right charlie now...
The moving finger writes, and having writ,
Moves on:  nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Ons and Offs

Elvi

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Almost all the country on flood alert!

There are some interesting photographs here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/7287104.stm

Up to date report here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7285859.stm
(video link on right hand side of the artical)

BUT...if you want to see a poor reporter earning her money, click on the video here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/default.stm

(click on 'storms batter coastline'...it really made me laugh...)

Jester

Super sunshine at the moment but last night was a bit windy.

They do say the calm before the storm...

Elvi

It's not here....*laughs*....
Howling winds, driving rain and it's quitened down a little!

We have the livecam from Strangely's lifeboat station:
http://www.mundesleylifeboat.co.uk/webcam.html

Not looking that impressive at the moment, but we're waiting for high tide...