Empire of the Indigo Star -- Sci Fi political intrigue freeform original setting

Started by Niferbelle, November 10, 2015, 08:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giantmutantcrab

Niferbelle

Quote from: Flower on November 25, 2015, 07:17:57 AM
Is there a deadline for character sheets? If so, when? Thanks! :)

No, no particular deadline. I would like to get started in the next couple weeks though :)

All right, I have a couple of things. First, I did start a thread for scenes that take place prior to the game beginning. It's called Out of Time.

Also, I added a bit about how time will be measured in this game into the FAQs on the game information page. I'm going to repost it here since it's new. Hopefully it won't be too complicated.

A day is 25 hours. Weeks are ten days. Months are 5 weeks long. There are ten months in a year. The current year count started over with Martius the Great’s ascendency to the throne. It is currently the year 989. People mark the year numerically, there aren’t any official names of the months although some Houses might have names they use that are particular to them.

The format for recording dates is as follows: DAY.MONTH.YEAR. The official starting date of the game will be the first day of the 9th month in the year 989. That would be written as 1.9.989. The time is recorded as military time, i.e. 3 am would be 03:00; 10:30 pm would be 22:30, etc. Remember, this time has been standardized so what time of day it is will vary from system to system, month to month, etc. Date won’t coincide with season.

You will note, that a year is longer in this scenario. Medical technology has improved so much that the human lifespan is longer, aging is slowed – therefore a twenty year old in this universe is roughly the equivalent of a twenty year old in our universe so no need to worry about shuffling around the ages of your characters ;)

Finally, I am going out of town for Thanksgiving. I may be in and out until this evening but will be absent for a couple days after that.

Giantmutantcrab

Quote from: Niferbelle on November 25, 2015, 10:55:06 AM
No, no particular deadline. I would like to get started in the next couple weeks though :)

All right, I have a couple of things. First, I did start a thread for scenes that take place prior to the game beginning. It's called Out of Time.

Also, I added a bit about how time will be measured in this game into the FAQs on the game information page. I'm going to repost it here since it's new. Hopefully it won't be too complicated.

A day is 25 hours. Weeks are ten days. Months are 5 weeks long. There are ten months in a year. The current year count started over with Martius the Great’s ascendency to the throne. It is currently the year 989. People mark the year numerically, there aren’t any official names of the months although some Houses might have names they use that are particular to them.

The format for recording dates is as follows: DAY.MONTH.YEAR. The official starting date of the game will be the first day of the 9th month in the year 989. That would be written as 1.9.989. The time is recorded as military time, i.e. 3 am would be 03:00; 10:30 pm would be 22:30, etc. Remember, this time has been standardized so what time of day it is will vary from system to system, month to month, etc. Date won’t coincide with season.

You will note, that a year is longer in this scenario. Medical technology has improved so much that the human lifespan is longer, aging is slowed – therefore a twenty year old in this universe is roughly the equivalent of a twenty year old in our universe so no need to worry about shuffling around the ages of your characters ;)

Finally, I am going out of town for Thanksgiving. I may be in and out until this evening but will be absent for a couple days after that.

How much is aging slowed?

Would, for example, a 90-year old Emperor still possess the vigor and strength of a fit man in his 40's?  Would be like a youthful 30-something?  Or did the docs mess things up because he's a meanie and no one likes him?  :P

Do the medical tech also allows for "modifications" of the body?  Not like, adding arms or legs but being able to shape a physical body to the liking of the "wearer"?  Build up muscle mass and tear down fat, for a price?  Be as flexible as a gymnist for the low cost of 9999.99 in one session?  Have the body of a fitness guru without spending a single minute in the gym?

Ontan

… And that’s two mammoth posts in the Out of Time thread.

I mentioned it in the thread itself, but I’ll repeat it again here: my usual posts won’t be even remotely close to being so long, and what you’re seeing there is more akin to a short story than a roleplay post. Hopefully it’s of some passing interest, though ;)

CShades

Quote from: Giantmutantcrab on November 25, 2015, 12:52:23 PM
How much is aging slowed?

Would, for example, a 90-year old Emperor still possess the vigor and strength of a fit man in his 40's?  Would be like a youthful 30-something?  Or did the docs mess things up because he's a meanie and no one likes him?  :P

Do the medical tech also allows for "modifications" of the body?  Not like, adding arms or legs but being able to shape a physical body to the liking of the "wearer"?  Build up muscle mass and tear down fat, for a price?  Be as flexible as a gymnist for the low cost of 9999.99 in one session?  Have the body of a fitness guru without spending a single minute in the gym?

If I read it right, a 90 year old Indigo emperor would have lived aproximately 123 Earth years but have the physical characteristics of a 90year old instead of being a ball of dust, if that makes sense -- and a 30 year old would look 30 but have lived the equivalent time to about 41 Earth years, based on a simple 500day to 365day/year calculation. I may be completely off the mark, it's late :P

"The next time I kill you, I promise you the labyrinth that consists of a single straight line that is both invisible and endless" ~Jorge Luis Borges.

CShades

And I failed to account for the extra 500 hours <,<
I know, my nerd is showing. Soooo it's a 521 days to 365 days conversion, more or less -- not that it makes much of a difference on the whole but at least might let me sleep instead of numberizing all night :P

So, 90 Indigo years = 128 Earth years
      30 Indigo years = 43 Earth years

"The next time I kill you, I promise you the labyrinth that consists of a single straight line that is both invisible and endless" ~Jorge Luis Borges.

Giantmutantcrab

Quote from: CShades on November 25, 2015, 11:10:56 PM
And I failed to account for the extra 500 hours <,<
I know, my nerd is showing. Soooo it's a 521 days to 365 days conversion, more or less -- not that it makes much of a difference on the whole but at least might let me sleep instead of numberizing all night :P

So, 90 Indigo years = 128 Earth years
      30 Indigo years = 43 Earth years

Umm... My question concerned medical advances... :|

Ontan

Quote from: Giantmutantcrab on November 26, 2015, 06:36:01 AM
Umm... My question concerned medical advances... :|

Here's what we've got so far:

Regarding aging, etc.
Indigo years run slower, but advances in medicine mean that people age much better. These two forces cancel each other out. Putting everything in Earth terms, the Emperor is actually 128 years of age, but he’s as healthy as a 90 year old. My character, Jalen, is 30 Indigo years: that means he’s actually 43 Earth years, but by our standards he’s as healthy as a 30 year old.
(From Nifer’s above post, and CShades's clever calculations)

Regarding genetic modification
Advanced medicine and genetics can be used for therapy (healing, regrowing limbs, slowing aging) and reproduction (fertility boosters, and biogenetics to allow same-sex procreation). However, it’s strictly forbidden to use genetic modification for any other purpose, especially making improvements to one’s body. Going from the background info, House Novari’s previous Duke tried to give himself some genetic enhancements on the sly, and when he was discovered, the entire House was catastrophically gutted as punishment.

The only big exception are GELs, who aren’t seen as people: they’re viewed as laboratory products, and are distinctly marked as being non-human. Genetic modification can be as aggressive as the manufacturer wishes.
(From the info thread, especially GELS and House Novari info)

Non-genetic / non-mechanical modifications
There’s currently no information on non-genetic enhancements, such as steroids, hormone treatment, and so on. On a purely speculative note, it’s probably restricted at some level: the available information suggests that Indigo culture places extremely strict limits on anything that would grant an ‘unnatural’ advantage, namely mechanical engineering and genetic modification. Extrapolating this a little, it’s probably okay to take a muscle building drug to counteract the effects of a wasting disease, but it’s not okay to take the same drug in the pursuit of superhuman strength.

There’s also nothing on ‘convenience’ boosters like you mentioned – something that might dissolve fat, or boost a couch potato to the level of a professional athlete without all the hard work. It’s probably not a huge deal either way: even if one cheats to get the body of an athlete or commando, they’re not going to have the training, muscle memory, or psychological conditioning to match someone who’s done it the hard way. At most, it’d probably just ameliorate the effects of a few bad habits, which isn’t so far removed from conventional medicine.

Again, the last section is pure speculation. Consult your nearest GM for the official answer!

Giantmutantcrab

Hmm.

Maybe my question is too vague.

The question was regarding the slowing of the whole aging process.  I understand that mathematically, the Emperor (for example) is a 90-year old man that would have 128 years in Earth time.  And I also understand that there are medical tech that would allow the repairing of limbs, the healing of illness (thus allowing people to live longer, healthier lives).  My question was more of a HOW MUCH slower does someone age?

Is the Emperor looking and moving like a 90-year old man?  Or does he still retain some of the vigor and strength of a man decades younger?  That was my question.  Can a woman stretch on in years yet still remain "forever young", looking and feeling like a young lass in her twenties?

Amelita

I think from what information we have now, yes.A 90 year old man in Indigo years moves and looks like a 90 year old man in Earth years.

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

Giantmutantcrab

Quote from: Amelita on November 26, 2015, 11:51:28 AM
I think from what information we have now, yes.A 90 year old man in Indigo years moves and looks like a 90 year old man in Earth years.

Sweet.

So we just need someone to shove that old, nasty Emperor down a flight of stairs and he'll snap like an uncooked pack of spaghetti.

^__^

Outlaw Fallen

So, as awesome as this group is, and as much as I love this concept, I just can't seem to get my muse going for a character. I'm sorry, guys, but I think I have to back out.
"I fought the decisions that called and lost
My mark has the relevant piece in this
I will come reformed
In short, for the murder of those I court
I bless the hour that holds your fall
I will kill you all" - Coheed & Cambria
A/A's UPDATED! (6/6/19) | Desires | Outlaw-bait

"Doesn't love always begin that way; with the illusion more real than the woman?" - Jean-Luc Picard

Giantmutantcrab

Quote from: Outlaw Fallen on November 26, 2015, 09:30:57 PM
So, as awesome as this group is, and as much as I love this concept, I just can't seem to get my muse going for a character. I'm sorry, guys, but I think I have to back out.

Aww.

I'm sorry to hear that.  If ever your inspiration comes back, hurry back!  We'll keep your seat warm.

CShades

Quote from: Outlaw Fallen on November 26, 2015, 09:30:57 PM

Muse can be fickle, I knows. Sometimes all it takes is a connection or distance; maybe once you step back a little it will come on its own!

Flower

Yep! Sometimes it helps to preplan with people as well. I am trying to decide if I want to tweak my house a little. I can't decide if I want to play the leader or her daughter. If I play her daughter, I would need to bump up the mother's age by quite a lot and make what happened a bit less current news. >.>

Giantmutantcrab

CShades

Quote from: Flower on November 27, 2015, 06:17:24 AM
Yep! Sometimes it helps to preplan with people as well. I am trying to decide if I want to tweak my house a little. I can't decide if I want to play the leader or her daughter. If I play her daughter, I would need to bump up the mother's age by quite a lot and make what happened a bit less current news. >.>

So curious!

I just went look and Prawomir looks quite fun~

Also remember the year length difference, so theoretically she could have had them at a young age - I think.

Ontan

In case anyone’s interested, here’s the current character breakdown:

CharacterFactionPrimary SkillCharacter Concept
Crown Princess Azurine Udel Xavendir     House Xavendir      Deception / Manipulation          The Emperor’s oppressed eldest daughter, who is looking to establish a powerbase of her own.
Princess Hana AtalarykHouse Atalaryk SpacefaringAn unmarried princess, and secretly a skilled commando.
Princess Illyana AtalarykHouse Atalaryk Intelligence / DiplomacyAn acknowledged bastard daughter, who’s turned her interests to information gathering.
Princess Rhebekka Emanuelle AtalarykHouse Atalaryk Space CombatA married Lady and Naval Officer, with a flair for diplomacy and combat.
Duke Tarrek El'Essen AtalarykHouse AtalarykStrategyThe incumbent Duke of his House, and a brilliant commander in his own right.
Princess Meleida BroedinHouse BroedinTrade ExpertThe Duke’s beloved daughter, who’s fated to be used as a political bargaining chip in order to secure her House’s future.
Prince Gallatin DhaazHouse DhaazScholarA philosopher-politician, with an endless thirst for knowledge and an extensive web of correspondents.
Prince Jalen NovariHouse NovariAdventurerThe notorious rake of House Novari, famed for his adventuring exploits and wild parties.
Diarivo Kairitsu Sundosa-ZurunHouse RovonaDisguiseA second-generation Orzorone exile; publically a skilled performer and privately an agent of espionage.
MartiusIndependent – GEL Rebels     Tactics (ground and ship)The enigmatic GEL liberator stirring up unrest throughout the Empire.

Giantmutantcrab

Wow, there are quite a few good-looking, socially acceptable nobles who, at a moment's notice, pull out a red bandana, tie that around their foreheads and go into commando mode.

Sweet.  :P

Aiden

Caela

Gotta look out for those Atalaryk kids! They could cause all kinds of trouble. ~smiles innocently~

CShades

Giantmutantcrab

Caela

Quote from: CShades on November 27, 2015, 02:46:14 PM
The border lands remember :P

All that space and quiet to plot and scheme...and a variety of skills throughout the siblings backgrounds to ferret out their father's killer...

CShades