Interest Check for Fate System (Fate Core RPG)

Started by chaoslord29, December 30, 2013, 02:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaoslord29

Hello fellow writers and co-writers of Elliquiy, having seen a few D&D 3.5 and Pathfinder group game threads here and there, I thought it might be fun to poll the forums for any interest in my own personal favorite game system Fate, by Evil Hate Productions. For those of you who are, I'm looking to get a game together and have found in the past (on some other forums) that Fate lends itself wonderfully to play-by-post and there's no better way to keep track of tagging, invoking, and compelling Aspects! Just post here if you'd like to discuss the potential for a game of Fate here on Elliquiy, I'd be happy to take on the role of GM myself, in an established or original setting. For added clarity, I'm open to discussing this as either erotic or non-sexual, but truthfully leaving the door open for some truly intimate romance is why I've decided to post this here on Elliquiy (rather than any other role playing or even dedicated play by post site).

For those not familiar with Fate, it's a dramatic, flexible, rules light system that puts the emphasis on creative, proactive, and dynamic character actions and reactions, rather than bogging challenges and combats down in number crunching and calculations. Character creation is freeform and part of play itself, centralized around character Aspects, which are the defining features of what makes your character unique and are the flagship mechanic in-game for making your character shine in the midst of conflict and adventure.

Fate is great for dramatic, classically romantic action & adventure, and can be kitted out to play in any setting from a Space Western, to 1960s Soviet Diesel-Punk (complete with Cold War mechs and airships). Whether you're interested in classic swords and sorcery, hard boiled detective stories, or intrigue laden political and social conflicts, Fate can bring it to life, and personally, I love the challenge of adapting this system to a new adventure and setting my fellow players have always wanted to see happen.

So, check out the SRD here, published online for any and all to access, or go ahead and download a pdf copy of the Core Rules for your very own (pay what you want, right down to nothing at all), and then post here whether you'd like to be a part of any game we should happen to run!

As I said before, I'm open to running the game myself, in any and all settings which might appeal to potential players. Whether your a veteran Fate player or new to the system, it's exceptionally easy to learn, and more than any other system I've found character creation to be as intuitive as it is an enjoyable part of play. Your character isn't a collection of numbers and formulae, rather, it's the process of crafting and writing their backstory, experiences, hopes, talents and flaws that make up the core of play. Have a character you've always wanted to play in a story or RPG, but never been able to find the write system, pitch it here, we'll help you flesh it out and fill in the gaps of how they fit into the greater story. Moreover, character creation is collaborative with the other players, as you all take turns writing a sentence or two about how you've interacted in two or more characters past adventures, providing the basis by which you all happen to know each other in the first place!

For those feeling like they might be at a loss, I'll go ahead and pitch a few settings and ideas I've always wanted to make happen with Fate, and if you feel inspired by any of them, go ahead and pitch your take and ideas right back:

• Spirit of the Century- This one is an established setting using Fate Core, focused on 1920s Pulp Action & Adventure: Ripe for Costumed Heroes (Think the Phantom or the Shadow) Intrepid Archaeologists and Explorers (Everyone's favorite, Indiana Jones), Two Fisted Pilots and Dare-Devils (The Rocketeer), all thrown together into some sort of fantastic league of extraordinary persons.
  • A Galaxy Far Far Away- Rather than the more cumbersome Star Wars d20 or revised Saga Edition, I've found Fate to be the perfect system for capturing the dashing, romantic feel of the Star Wars Universe. Rather than trying to peg down what class of character your bounty hunter is (soldier? scout? scoundrel?) while trolling through alien species ad nauseum to find exactly the sort of near-human you want to play, Fate allows you the creativity to make your character whatever you think they should be. Creating a Chiss Bounty Hunter is every bit as easy as creating a Miraluka Chief Engineer, or forgo such mundane concepts entirely and roll up a Scruff Looking Nerf Herder. See, I'm already getting carried away with this one!
  • Swashbuckling Sky Ships- Because I've seen it tried with so many other systems, I feel like I need to put in a plug here fore a steampunk (or other) airship setting. Fate was practically made for the sort of amazing airborne swashing and buckling that I know folks out there love so much.

The Core Mechanic of FATE are the Fate Dice (also known as Fudge Dice; four dice, six sided, with two'+', '-', and blank faces each) and The Ladder, which has ratings between Terrible (-2) and Legendary (+8). Any time you want to do something, you roll the Fate Die, add up the pluses and minuses (blank faces do not modify) and apply that to whatever Skill you're trying to use. So if your character has Stealth rated at Great (+4) and rolls +,+,-,blank (or two 5-6, one 1-2, and one 3-4 on a regular d6) they wind up with a total result of Superb (+5) at the task which they are trying to accomplish.

On top of this, FATE makes use of the concept of Aspects, which are the defining traits of a character without assigning any sort of numerical values. They are the characters greatest strengths, weaknesses, personal issues, quirks, stand-out relationships or represent a part of their greater destiny, heritage, or persona. A kleptomaniac rogue may have the Attracted to Shiny Things Aspect, or an expert duelist might reveal that he's Not Really Left Handed!, and no one ever tells the ace star fighter pilot the odds.

Whenever you think a particular Aspect applies, you can spend a Fate Point in order to Invoke that Aspect and gain a bonus up the ladder, or else re-roll the Fate Dice. However, any time the GM thinks that a particular Aspect might work against you (is it really wise to go hurtling into the asteroid field when you have no other means of escape?) they may Compel something bad to happen to your character, and in exchange, you get a Fate point back.

I've found it an incredibly intuitive system to pick up, and really goes a long way towards fleshing out characters and raising dramatic tension as players and GM go back and forth constantly raising the stakes. Hope I've managed to pique a few more people's interest in it as well, and feel free to check out the freely published and available copies of the rules.
My Guiding Light-
'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'- Lord Havelock Vetinari
My ideas and O/Os:Darker Tastes and Tales

Faeli

chaoslord29

Quote from: Faeli on December 30, 2013, 06:07:39 PM
I am always up for any system game!  Yeong!

Great! Have you played FATE by change before?

Whether you have or not, there's two ways to get a perfectly legal copy of the core rules in the opening post, through the publisher or as online content. If you have, do you have any ideas you've been dying to play of late but haven't found a system for? Any characters you've wanted to play but haven't had the chance to?

Personally, I'm intrigued by the idea of doing a Star Wars game using FATE, but I know the Galaxy Far Far Away isn't everyone's cup of tea.
My Guiding Light-
'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'- Lord Havelock Vetinari

Pumpkin Seeds

Ooohh...neat.  Definately love a good system game.

chaoslord29

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on December 30, 2013, 06:25:16 PM
Ooohh...neat.  Definately love a good system game.

Glad to hear it! Are you familiar with FATE? Otherwise do you have a favorite setting or fandom you've never gotten to play in?

I'm considering that I should probably post the Core mechanic and intro to character creation somewhere abouts, if only for posterity.
My Guiding Light-

Callie Del Noire

I'm waiting to see what they are doing with Atomic Robo.

chaoslord29

Not familiar with Atomic Robo, (or who 'they' are) but from the title alone it sounds like something ripe for the Fate System. Care to go more in depth on what a related game would entail or include?
My Guiding Light-

Faeli

I have never dealt with Fate, unfortunately.  I am sure I can wriggle it out though!

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: chaoslord29 on December 30, 2013, 06:52:21 PM
Not familiar with Atomic Robo, (or who 'they' are) but from the title alone it sounds like something ripe for the Fate System. Care to go more in depth on what a related game would entail or include?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_Robo

The Free Comic Book Day story for 2008: http://www.atomic-robo.com/free-comics/fcbd08/
and others here:
http://www.atomic-robo.com/free-comics/

should give you a good idea, but it is a very SotC-esque pulp story/setting. Also, marking interest.

Oldknight

I would like to join but I must admit I have no experience with such a thing and have never really done anything like this before so if that disqualifies me that is okay and understandable

chaoslord29

Quote from: Faeli on December 30, 2013, 07:30:58 PM
I have never dealt with Fate, unfortunately.  I am sure I can wriggle it out though!

Oh definitely, Fate readily lends itself to picking up on the go and even has mechanics for improvised character creation. I posted a bare bones sketch of the core mechanics of the game in the first post, but I definitely reccomend checking out Evil Hat production's website where they've got links to pay-what-you want pdfs of the content downloadable for as little as flipping-free!

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 30, 2013, 08:23:45 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_Robo

The Free Comic Book Day story for 2008: http://www.atomic-robo.com/free-comics/fcbd08/
and others here:
http://www.atomic-robo.com/free-comics/

should give you a good idea, but it is a very SotC-esque pulp story/setting. Also, marking interest.
Say, that is very Spirit of the Century! Though it's cold war era, not 1920s, but then in the Spirit of the Century Book they mention there's always the potential to advance your game into WWII, the 60s and beyond. Hell, I've always thought there was potential for a Spirit of the 31st century game, in a retro-rocket-man sci-fi setting where everything is rayguns and rings.

Anyone else want to weigh in? Declare interest? Put in a pitch for a plot or setting or character?

Quote from: Tenshinhan on December 30, 2013, 09:19:05 PM
I would like to join but I must admit I have no experience with such a thing and have never really done anything like this before so if that disqualifies me that is okay and understandable

Certainly doesn't disqualify you. In fact, you picked a great game to learn Play-by-Post RPGs on! Feel free to message me and I can answer any questions you might have and direct you on where to get the materials you'll need.
My Guiding Light-

TheGlyphstone

Callie Del Noire

Robo, and it's 'sister comic' Science Adventure Comics' covers a WIDE range of Eras.. the most recent version of SAC has Nicolai Tesla, Annie Oakely, Houdini and others (including HP Lovecrafts father), and Robo stories have covered his ENTIRE lifespan from the early 1900s (1920s I think was when he was activated) all the way to the 2010s.

Pumpkin Seeds

I played Dresden Files which I think is based off Fate.

SGTDan

COlor me interested Chaos, I have played Fate before
“We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”  -Dr. Seuss
Proudly Demisexual
Do you love Star Trek? Answer the Call to Duty
My RP Requests

Jefepato

I've played very little of FATE games in the past (mostly just a few sessions of the Dresden Files RPG), but I do have the Fate Core book on my shelf a few feet away.

Star Wars is always cool, but I really like the airborne swashbuckling idea.

kckolbe

I'm very interested in this, preferably settings 2 or 3 (never played a 1920s-ish game).  Never played FATE, but love learning new systems and willing to buy it online.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Pumpkin Seeds

I'm always a fan of Star Wars, but the swashbuckling would be cool as well especially if there was that steampunk airship twist.

KnightNelson20

Never played Fate but I am interested in the system sounds fun. I had a new rp ive been thinking of and your FATE system sounds like a fun way to play it.

chaoslord29

Wow, love waking up in the morning to a Thread which has garnered a great deal more interest! Glad to see so many Fate Enthusiasts (as well as Dresden and Star Wars fans; Shout-out to the Atomic Robonauts as well), and was thinking we should start a poll of which setting players would most like to see played, of those already pitched and those people might also like to see.

So far that list includes:

• Steampunk Airship Swashbuckling
  • 1920s Pulp Adventure
  • Star Wars
  • Dresden Files

Rank your 1st and 2nd choices, and feel free to pitch any new ideas for settings or adventures.

Oh and anyone one else who would like the chance to run the game is of course welcome to pipe up. I have a few plots in mind I could run for the above settings, but if you feel inspired and want to collaborate or have a chance in the spotlight send me a PM or post here.
My Guiding Light-

TheGlyphstone

I'd rank Dresden Files 1st, 1920's Pulp Adventure 2nd.

chaoslord29

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 31, 2013, 11:23:17 AM
I'd rank Dresden Files 1st, 1920's Pulp Adventure 2nd.

I'll keep a tally of votes posted, but please vote in the Poll as well.

Edit
@ALL
Star Wars seems to have the advantage of it being a sort of lowest common denominator, and I fear it may get more votes in the poll just by virtue of being everyone's second choice. If you want to distinguish that fact, just post what your first choice would be, or better yet, if you've already got a character concept budding in your head, pitch it!
My Guiding Light-

SGTDan

If we were to do Star Wars, what era would you be more favorable to?
“We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”  -Dr. Seuss
Proudly Demisexual
Do you love Star Trek? Answer the Call to Duty
My RP Requests

kckolbe

I agree that Star Wars has the most possibilities, so a premise might help folks decide.  That said, here are mine:

1. Steamship
2. Star Wars
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

chaoslord29

I'd say we leave that up in the air unless we've definitely decided on Star Wars (or else, post if there are any eras you'd prefer not to play in).

Personally, I lean towards Old Republic/Sith Cold War, since it provides a very fertile and flexible ground for adventures, but the Rebellion Era/Galactic Civil War is also always enticing. I usually veer away from New Jedi Order and the Vong.

If I were to pitch a more specific premise for Star Wars, I would say a Scum & Villainy game in which the players are smugglers, thieves, bounty hunters, and generally outlaw types. Alternatively, if some folks are determined to play Jedi or Sith, we can either work that in, or make it a Stranded . . . In Space! kind of thing (Survivors of a wreck on an uncharted planet, or maybe a Space Hulk).
My Guiding Light-