Vanishing Sig

Started by Nadir, May 03, 2009, 07:11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nadir

I just noticed two of my buttons, the battery and the on/off sign, had vanished from my sig. I checked my profile to see if it was just photobucket playing up, but the code for the images has vanished, but the url codes are still there.

I don't know whether to think it's a glitch or if they got deleted by someone with access to do something like that. Has it happened to anyone else?

Xillen

Nadir

Ah, okay. I'm not techno-savvy, but I think I understand. Thanks!

Xillen

Good to see you got your signature working again :)

Nadir

Yup! Was it really the dragon eggs that sparked it?

*feels guilty*

Xillen

Script-heavy images on a server that handles it poorly can be a pain, yes.

All images based on scripts are effectively disabled now that they have to be on the wiki.

Nadir

That's a bit too jargony for my little brain to understand. A script to me is what actors read off. Basically, you just said they were bad, right?

Xillen

A script tells actors what they need to do. A computer script tells computers what they need to do ;)

They're not bad in and of themselves. This forum for example is a huge bunch of scripts.

Stuff like the dragon eggs actually depended on something. Whenever the image was requested, the server that's hosting them was checking on some stuff, and sending the image based upon that in return. Now if that server took a long time to calculate, that would leave the E server hanging, waiting for a reply. That's what kind of was the problem.

Nadir

So that would stop or slow the image loading on the forum... but it sounds like it makes the other things loading slow too. Why would it do that? And how does having my images located on the E wiki instead of photobucket help? The image being on the same server as the forum, would it really make it quicker to load?

(I'm sorry I'm being so inquisitive, but it's interesting!)

Xillen

I think it should actually be Vek answering these, and not me. He's more of a web expert, while I'm more into local programming, but nonetheless...

Most images would've not be a problem data wise. Those on servers with decent speed, and without scripts behind it, were not the problem here (other than some signatures growing proportionally out of size, but that's a different issue).

It's just the few problem images that were causing it. By enforcing images to be on the same server as E (Just tested, they don't have to be on the wiki, just on the E server, but the wiki is the easiest choice for uploading your images to the E server ;)), we're sure that the image:

- Is on a server that's currently up and running (else the forum wouldn't work).

- Has no scripts behind it (the only one that could put a script behind it on this server would be Vekseid himself).

Oniya

Quote from: Eden on May 03, 2009, 08:19:28 AM
So that would stop or slow the image loading on the forum... but it sounds like it makes the other things loading slow too. Why would it do that? And how does having my images located on the E wiki instead of photobucket help? The image being on the same server as the forum, would it really make it quicker to load?

(I'm sorry I'm being so inquisitive, but it's interesting!)

Basically, when the Dragon Egg server crashed, all of those scripts were trying to get information from a computer that wasn't answering.  If you've ever tried to access a web page that's down, you know how your browser waits for a few minutes trying to get an answer?  Yeah, each time one of those images was asked for in the script, the computer (which is a very fast idiot, and won't care that the last time it tried, it got no answer) sent a call out to that server and waited for a response.

Multiply that times however many eggs were in a sig-line and however many times that sig appeared on a screenful of a thread, and then add in all the other sigs with their eggs...

(I wouldn't be surprised if this also contributed to the crash of the Dragon Egg server, sort of like a Denial of Service attack.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Nadir

Xillen

Oniya was a lot better at clarifying it. :P

Oreo

I am a complete idiot on the computer but, Caeli has a great tutorial here:

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=23950.msg1062643#msg1062643

I was able to figure it out, so it cant be too hard I just wrapped the new image code in [img] tags

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin