Tribal Wars: Interest Check

Started by Vaulera, October 22, 2014, 03:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaulera

Hello Elliquiy, I am Vaulera, and I am (was) a frequent player of numerous group games, and very occasionally a GM. Though usually my ideas revolve mostly around smut, and how to get the optimal amount of smut in a roleplay. However, the longer I stay on the forum, the ratio smut I desire in my group games decreases (but smut is still amazing.) So, I decided to put some more thought into the actual setup for the roleplay itself. On to the idea:

At its core, the roleplay I want to create is a colliding of settings while keeping a general theme. As the title would suggest, Tribal would be the theme, but less in the technological/cultural side, and more to do with having different factions, but that would imply a certain degree of organization that these groups don't possess as a greater whole. In principal, it is about players controlling the leaders or key members in a tribal organization, embroiled in constant bloodshed with other tribes near them. These tribes don't need to belong to the same kind of universe however. They can be as brutal and crude as Orcs from the Tolkien-verse, or as advanced and sci-fi as the Protoss from Starcraft. Whatever the reasons for each tribe are, there will be a heavy emphasis on diplomacy and politics, as well as the beloved small-scale conflicts between different factions.

As for the specifics of having these different factions, I was hoping to have at least one Co-Gm, and to have a variety of factions. They can be any sort of race and technological mix, but keeping in mind, the more elite and dangerous each member of the faction is, the fewer you will have. If you want to have a race of godzilla sized machines, be sure that you will only have one. Or as a more realistic example, you want to play some kind of super elite Elves, and another player will want to have a band of brutal Uruk-Hai. These elves can carve through the Uruk-Hai with spells and incredible combat skills. But, the Elves would be vastly outnumbered, and might face more issues in politics. The Uruk-Hai are hated, but if they fear their warchief more than the enemy, there is no ethical or moral boundaries that need to be questioned. With the wise, ancient Elves, their people are more educated and individual, and would be highly prejudiced, as one of their weaknesses. Each faction would have a base of operations, basically a town, village or camp, themed to their race and technology, that would have fitting infrastructure for numbers and tech. They would all be relatively close by geographically, and have some sort of fitting ecology. The Elves might live in a small city with towering spires in an ancient forest, neighbouring an abhorrent wasteland with crude, efficient and cheap camps sprawling into the distance, all filled with Uruks.

This is an interest thread, so on the matter of combat, I hope for it to be relatively player driven and co-operative, and there can be as much PC death as is wanted. It isn't really meant to be a competitive, but if neither player wants to lose, but both want to fight, then we might have to figure out some kind of good system. I am personally familiar with D20 systems, but I really hope to avoid putting a system on the game, as I feel it somewhat limits creativity. Obviously, if two players make an alliance, and one person isn't already vastly weakened, then when they gang up on another player, they should win. More specifics on player combat can be worked out once there is enough interest to start the game (I am thinking 4 or 5 players, and one willing to take on minor Co-GM responsibilities,) I will make up a sheet for factions and characters separately. As for the smut, that's totally under player control. The female leader of one group, rather than killed on the expedition into enemy territory, could be captured. Two players (if in the same Tribe,) could just decide they want to have sex, go for it. Of course, there might be consequences if there are two players who bone in two opposing Tribe. With GM discussion, NPCs from your own factions or others could get involved if there is something politically motivating you. Could be an opposing force within your own Tribe, or lots of intrigue.

Sorry for being so sloppy, but I was excited, and I hope there is some interest in the game, and I got the general premise across. And if I didn't it's kind of amazing with this much text.

TaurusBeresford

Sounds intriguing.  I could be interested, and would like a group combat based game. B)
Willing to play a healer type and a warrior type in a faction who's territory is starting to have unusual disturbances.
I have two minotaur creatures that could be applied to this scene depending on whether you were intending to allow sorcery.
I would give [you] the answer if I could, but I be a simple bull, and no bull anywhere has ever given a 'straight' answer!

The Tail of the Tauren

Vaulera

Yeah, although I didn't explicitly state it, I think magic would be natural in the mixed settings. Each player can have a faction (within reason,) or play a part in another person's faction, given that they are alright with that.

Juggtacular

Vaulera

Awesome, and thank you. It's pretty sloppy right now, but I plan on elaborating if I get a couple more players!

catherinehellfire

hmmm... I'm really interested.  I was kind of thinking of using an Uruk-hai tribe, except with females. (as otherwise I'd need some powerful wizard to create birthing pools.)
If sex was a roller-coaster, I'd ride it over and over again.

Absences: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=261213.0

TheHangedOne

I'm interested, probably as a sentient race of tentacle-beasts (that care about more than screwing Japanese school-girls  :P). I'd also be willing to co-gm.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Vaulera

Wow, alright then, that's just about as many players as we might need to at least start things off. I'll start making up a character sheet for your general, chief, leader, whatever you may want to call them, and then a faction sheet, detailing what the race is, what the tech level is like and what their stake is in fighting other tribes, whether it be resources, power or slaves. Glad to have people on board, and I'll be sure to brief you on Co-Gming, and just generally what is to be expected in this kind of roleplay. Honestly, a kind of new idea to me, considering the format is very strange!

Vaulera

Okay, so I just talked a little bit with HangedMan, and came up with some possible plot devices, just to get writing and character development started and on track. Basically, there could be a large, hostile faction (most likely run by me,) that takes the role of antagonist to the Player run factions, and will try and attack and raid different settlements. Alliances, betrayals and defensive pacts ensue to try and fight off or conquer the NPC faction. Or, there is a certain resource that is very useful to every single tribe, and of course, fighting and politics ensue trying to gain hold of it (if you have suggestions for what this is, please do say. I have a couple of my own, but it's not totally set, I wanted to see what you guys thought, as per HangedMan's suggestion.)

Juggtacular

Maybe a bit of both? There's a resource useful to everyone that everyone has access to. But people have had to be incredibly careful on how to divvy it up amongst the tribes. So there's a fragile peace righ now so no one cuts themselves off. Then your big bads come in to wreck shit. Maybe even frame another tribe to look bad or something.

Holmes

Is it to late to show interest? I was thinking a race of primitive people who are able to communicate with nature. (Like the na'vi from AVATAR)
When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

O/Os: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=230163.0

Vaulera

No, it's not too late, lol. Things are pretty slow, but I'm still interested in Gming a game with this theme. I think I have sufficient numbers of people, given a continued interest from the other people who commented. I still would like some input on the ideas I had below, so that I know what to do when I start to flesh out the game itself.

akirakaneda

it seems pretty cool, I wish to participate ... just a pithy it seems no warrior-women tribe around