The Salonbox -For Exploration by Discussion

Started by The Great Triangle, May 30, 2008, 12:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custos Morum

I think a combined third-first person in past, is the best for me. By combined I mean:

"Custos wrote the last words with incredible vigilance and skill. He were proud of his work, and no camel would ever steal his bananas again.
"Cool" he though silently"

GrinningHound

I visualize the scene pretty vaguely.  It's hard for me to really 'see' things in my mind, they're constantly shifting and mixing in with all the other thoughts that flow through my head.  For that reason I also have trouble 'clearing my mind' when I want to sleep, and often lie awake for HOURS in bed.  Meditation?  I've tried, can't get things out of my head.

Anyway, so, the scene is sort of ambiguous for me.  I guess that's why I don't quite go into so much detail, and I focus on very visceral, electric writing, that reads quickly and evokes a sense of action, rather than trying to build imagery in exacting detail and show the reader exactly what things look like.

Tant de Tentation

Hm... I write in the past tense, but envision it more or less in the present.  Still, present tense just feels clunky.  What it's like, for me, is REMEMBERING--it's as though I'm remembering a scene from my own life, and it's thus subject to the queer and quirky inventions of my mind as I go along... to odd switches of perspective (my brain jumps around, from seeing out of my/my characters' eyes, to seeing from a God's-eye perspective, to inventing extra details, to imagining myself in the OTHER character's or characters' body...)...

It's complicated!  But there it is.  Vagaries of memory...  Memory and invention....

*coughs*
"Humor is the only test of gravity, and gravity of humor; for a subject which will not bear raillery is suspicious, and a jest which will not bear serious examination is false wit."
--Aristotle

My ONs and OFFs
TNT's crazy intro thread.

Caeli

I've got a very active imagination. For almost all of my roleplays, for books that I read, for fiction that I write... I can see the images and visuals in my head very clearly, almost as if I'm dreaming as I'm awake. They're like movies playing in my head, and when I roleplay and imaginate, I seek to share these stories with my partner and whoever happens to read the story.

But while this puts me in the state of the observer, I also like to see things from the point of the view of the character, and write what they experience. So I try to put myself in their shoes, and think about things as they might see it. How would I react - what would I see - what do I smell and hear and feel - all of these things help contribute to my posts and roleplays.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

The Great Triangle

I pretty much always jump directly into my character's heads.  I find it valuable to perceive what my character perceives, particularly when coming up with those little details that add authenticity to a story.  I don't really experience my character's experience as a memory, more like a waking dream.  I think it's a real accomplishment when I can see what my character sees, hear what they hear, smell what they smell, and feel what they feel.  Hence, virtually all of my writing is written from an extremely biased narration, since my characters thoughts are often interjected into the writing. 

I also vary my writing style when dealing with a particularly agitated character,  shifting to shorter sentences and engaging in non sequitors as necessary.  I also have a tendency to draw from personal experience, either in real life or from books, to flesh out characters and descriptions.  When I really have to, I do some wikipedia research to figure out my character.  I must admit that I take a guilty pleasure in working with internally consistent fantasy settings even though the rules of the setting make no sense.  (i.e. Harry Potter, most RPG settings, especially the modern occult ones.)
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Greenthorn

*walks in and slaps a new topic on the table*

Does your online persona match how you are in real life? 

I've said it before that mine does...I -do- run up and hug my friends...I am a sarcastic...I do giggle a lot...I am easily amused...oh yes...just be thankful you all don't live near me!!  ;D

ShrowdedPoet

Well, it depends on my mood.  I'm more anti-social in real life than I am online but I am just about every bit me online as I am in real life.
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Tant de Tentation

Almost exactly.  I find myself having the same conversations on- and offline, I have the same sorts of casual friendship dynamics--sometimes it gets a little disturbing!  I think this is in part because I'm so extraordinary verbal (I think in words, sometimes images, but most often in words)... but it's also because I'm pathologically honest, as well as something of an overwhelming personality, or so I hear.  I'm a 'performer,' too, in that I tend to know how I come off, and consciously try to make an impression on people after a certain fashion.  Thus, what in real life is my posture or physical contact or gestures, I try to replicate online for the same coquettish or cute effect. 

In short, with the Sam--what you read is what you get. 
"Humor is the only test of gravity, and gravity of humor; for a subject which will not bear raillery is suspicious, and a jest which will not bear serious examination is false wit."
--Aristotle

My ONs and OFFs
TNT's crazy intro thread.

Custos Morum

Pretty much. I tend to do emote lots of things that impossible to cram into a real life conversation though
*Conjures a fireball for illustrational purposes*

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Custos Morum on June 13, 2008, 11:19:14 AM
Pretty much. I tend to do emote lots of things that impossible to cram into a real life conversation though
*Conjures a fireball for illustrational purposes*

*snatches the fireball screaming MY FIREBALL like a 3 year old*
Ons and Offs

Custos Morum

*Transforms just to prove his point into a five feet tall werewolf and takes the fireball back, roaring and drooling excesively*

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Custos Morum on June 13, 2008, 11:25:52 AM
*Transforms just to prove his point into a five feet tall werewolf and takes the fireball back, roaring and drooling excesively*

*transforms into a 10 foot tall witch, casts a spell making the warewolf turn into a little puppy,  and takes the fire ball back*  Mwahahhaahahahahahahaha
Ons and Offs

Custos Morum

*does an incredible puppy-eye attack that paralyzes the witch in awesome cuteness*

Kathadon

*sighs at the sillyness and snatches the fireball dowsing it in a bucket of water* Fire hazard. Sorry.

I am a bit quieter in real life. Probably because I come off as intimidating. That and I am a natural asshole and until I get to know someone I have to watch what jokes I make.

But after I understand how far I can push, I am exactly as I am here. ;)
My ON'S and OFF'S:

I'll do whatever pleases but I'll bleed 'em in the end.

My BDSM test results.

The Great Triangle

Aside from the lack of tentacles, my online persona is pretty similar to my actual persona, completely random and subtly yet totally perverted.  I've found that I can actually conceive of a sexual attraction to anything, which helps go along with my inability to understand things as being logically impossible.  Most of what I say is wrong somehow, whether it's illogical or not quite factual.  I might as well stamp my entire personality with the disclaimer "for entertainment purposes only."  I don't take anything seriously, least of all myself.
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Greenthorn

Quote from: Kathadon on June 13, 2008, 11:42:22 AM
*sighs at the sillyness and snatches the fireball dowsing it in a bucket of water* Fire hazard. Sorry.

I am a bit quieter in real life. Probably because I come off as intimidating. That and I am a natural asshole and until I get to know someone I have to watch what jokes I make.

But after I understand how far I can push, I am exactly as I am here. ;)

Ummm Kathadon..I actually pinned you correctly!!  I think you're fairly quiet here too *winks*

Quote from: Great Triangle on June 13, 2008, 11:55:28 AM
Aside from the lack of tentacles, my online persona is pretty similar to my actual persona, completely random and subtly yet totally perverted.  I've found that I can actually conceive of a sexual attraction to anything, which helps go along with my inability to understand things as being logically impossible.  Most of what I say is wrong somehow, whether it's illogical or not quite factual.  I might as well stamp my entire personality with the disclaimer "for entertainment purposes only."  I don't take anything seriously, least of all myself.

Yeah..had you pinned too *laughs* but then again, that was easy!

Caeli

Me... Hmm. Well, I'm a lot quieter in real life than I tend to be here on Elliquiy. I'm one of those who really genuinely enjoys listening to others talk about their lives (as long as it's not about who this movie star or that actor is dating, or who's winning on American idol). I talk less, but I do insert my own opinions now and then when I have something to say. I've been told that I'm very mature and polite for my age (thank you, JROTC!), and I tend to get along better with adults than I do people my own age. I'm not 'out there' or very outgoing, but because I'm in a lot of activities at school, I do know a lot of people, and I've gotten to have some very close friends.

Also, here on Elliquiy... I flirt more, I think? ^_^; In real life, I'm a bit of a tomboy - guys treat me like one of them (or like their kid brother), so I get along well with guys, but more as friends than anything else. I'm also very oblivious - I'm better with the written word than the spoken word... so I'm usually the last to know about any secrets or hushed-up things. I take things very seriously, and put a lot of effort into my given tasks or chosen hobbies. <3

>>; I've also been told that I'm a sweetheart and rather adorable, though I heartily disagree and wonder why people would say such a thing.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Greenthorn

Paradox

I'm pretty much the exact same person on here as I am in real life; the only difference is that I don't have an accent on here. As for comments, conversations, etc. I act the same way I would otherwise...unless you count some of the more extreme games and steambox nonsense.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Caeli

Quote from: Greenthorn on June 13, 2008, 01:50:45 PM
Cause yiou -are- duh! (to Caeli)

*hides* People say that here toooooo... >>; *very embarrassed*

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

GrinningHound

Hmmm....I'm similar, I think, when I'm in a good mood.  When I'm not in a good mood, or when I'm not comfortable around people, I'm extremely quiet.

Uhh...aside from anything physical that is.  I don't do any of that in person, though online I'm pretty touchy feely. :P

Greenthorn

*the new topic fairy comes in and sprinkles new topic dust*

New Topic!!

Is there anything sexual that you find offensive?

I find ingesting feces and urine offensive...not their appearance during a sexual encounter...just ingesting them.  And so far, that seems to be it!

Sherona

Quote from: Greenthorn on June 14, 2008, 09:12:45 PM
*the new topic fairy comes in and sprinkles new topic dust*

New Topic!!

Is there anything sexual that you find offensive?

I find ingesting feces and urine offensive...not their appearance during a sexual encounter...just ingesting them.  And so far, that seems to be it!

Offensive as in real life or just simply reading/ writing about? If you mean morally offensive or just physically offensive?

As far as writing I really have only two things that I can't seem to stomach...that is writing a sexual scene involving a child or a person who is mentally or physicallly a child. By child I mean not an adult..16 17 whatever just I can't do it. And incest, I can not see the appeal in wanting to sleep with someone blood related to me...so I don't think I could write it at all.

Paradox

I seem to recall a conversation in which someone explained what Vore was to me.

"like if they cut your arm off and made you masturbate with it"

That one definitely sickened me. I'm in two extreme games, but only to broaden my writing abilities. The actual depravity sometimes turns my stomach. Stump-fucking would have to be another. The entire idea of mutilating someone for sexual purposes just makes me very sad because I know that it probably happens or at least has happened in real life. I find myself distracted by thoughts of how painful and degrading it must have been for the victim. It's a terrible thing to think about, and those thoughts make it far too difficult to find any perverse pleasure in writing/reading about it happening, even for purely fictional purposes.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Custos Morum

Quote from: Paradox on June 15, 2008, 10:21:16 AM
I seem to recall a conversation in which someone explained what Vore was to me.

"like if they cut your arm off and made you masturbate with it"

That one definitely sickened me. I'm in two extreme games, but only to broaden my writing abilities. The actual depravity sometimes turns my stomach. Stump-fucking would have to be another. The entire idea of mutilating someone for sexual purposes just makes me very sad because I know that it probably happens or at least has happened in real life. I find myself distracted by thoughts of how painful and degrading it must have been for the victim. It's a terrible thing to think about, and those thoughts make it far too difficult to find any perverse pleasure in writing/reading about it happening, even for purely fictional purposes.

Actually, I stumbled upon an image, extremely well faked or real, where a girl had her own chopped of arm insider of her vagina once. I've never really understood people with that pervertion since.