Pathfinder Society Players on the board?

Started by Callie Del Noire, August 06, 2012, 05:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

Just curious, been looking over the 4.2 changes.

-3 new starting races.. Aasimar, Tiefling, Tenku.
-Lots of archetypes out.. Gravewalker Witch, Master Summoner, Synergist, Undead Lord and Vivisectionist Alchemist.

I know at least one synergist who is going to be upset.. (7/7/7 physical stats that now can't be changed)

Lots of wailing and cheering on the Paizo boards.

MasterMischief

I remember all those dashed hopes of a splat free system.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: MasterMischief on August 08, 2012, 01:34:27 PM
I remember all those dashed hopes of a splat free system.

The publisher has to keep printing the game and expanding. The society guide (the organized play one) is free by the way.

Brandon

Ive always wanted to get into it but there arent any organized groups in town here. Closest group is in portland and I dont really care to drive 2 and a half hours to play with a bunch of people I dont know. Suffice it to say I havnt really looked into PFS for a long time but if there's interest to forming a group on E I could change that
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Brandon on August 08, 2012, 11:35:16 PM
Ive always wanted to get into it but there arent any organized groups in town here. Closest group is in portland and I dont really care to drive 2 and a half hours to play with a bunch of people I dont know. Suffice it to say I havnt really looked into PFS for a long time but if there's interest to forming a group on E I could change that

Sadly there is no way to do PFS play by post, though there are several VT (virtual tabletop) games going on.

MasterMischief

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on August 08, 2012, 11:29:50 PM
The publisher has to keep printing the game and expanding.

Absolutely.  It is just the hypocrisy that when WotC tried to do it, it was the suits trying to ruin the industry and kick puppies.  When Paizo does it, well, they have to make money to survive...right?

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: MasterMischief on August 10, 2012, 10:07:35 PM
Absolutely.  It is just the hypocrisy that when WotC tried to do it, it was the suits trying to ruin the industry and kick puppies.  When Paizo does it, well, they have to make money to survive...right?

Did I say that? Let's see.. uh.. no.

I said I hated 4e.. I never refuted the right to continue publishing.

MasterMischief

I was not accusing you personally.  There were plenty of perfectly good reasons to hate 4e.  I just never heard those cited.  It was always about how WotC was firing their customers.  How 4e felt like a video game.  Balance = Bland.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: MasterMischief on August 10, 2012, 10:15:55 PM
I was not accusing you personally.  There were plenty of perfectly good reasons to hate 4e.  I just never heard those cited.  It was always about how WotC was firing their customers.  How 4e felt like a video game.  Balance = Bland.

Firing their customers?

I think they did some shady things with their designers.. but hey..they are a publishing firm.. if you want to fire off a 1/4 of your design division between thanksgiving and christmas.. it's your right. If you want to tell the guys who publish your magazine, after months of planning out the next two years worth of print, that you've changed your mind and are going in house and electronic only. It's your right. If you want to give your e-pub venders fortyeight hours to remove all authorized pdfs from their server and never follow up with an alternative you vaguely promised.. that is your right.

You can stomp on comic distributors and your FLC/GS by making them pay close to cover for the new edition while giving Wal-mart a 60% markdown and option to sell back unsold copies.. that again is your right.

It's my right to not buy or follow the content.

I've seen DnDNext..and from what I see.. it's an attempt to get back to the old game.. I've moved on. Hell I play more Warhammer Fantasy some months than any version of DnD.

I do resent, along with dozens of other servicemen, losing HUNDREDS of bucks in electronic media because you couldn't be bothered to give a rational time frame to remove it from the servers. Like a month.

But then I can be petty and irrational like that.

MasterMischief

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on August 10, 2012, 10:22:43 PM
But then I can be petty and irrational like that.

At least you can own up to it.   :P

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: MasterMischief on August 10, 2012, 10:25:06 PM
At least you can own up to it.   :P

At least I'm honest ..whereas they gave a pathetic excuse for curtailing the sale of all their classic content before 4e came out. And the legal sales of PDFs was a sight more than 10% of the pdfs being downloaded. They wanted total content control, lock down of all past versions and wanted nothing but the new edition available anywhere.

Paizo has been more than fair with me in their issues and customer service for 10 years..whereas Wizards was the 2nd worse gaming company I've ever dealt with directly. Palladium being the worse..

You know what the difference was? When Palladium sent me the Recon book instead of what I ordered? When I called them..their guy said "Keep the book.. we'll send you the correct one." And sent me a SIGNED COPY.

Wizards.. they made me mail it back..and wouldnt' send the right book till a MONTH after the book got back and I'd made like a half dozen calls. And let me tell you.. calling from the Gulf.. SUCKS.

MasterMischief

I would like to set aside our debate for just a minute and thank you for your service.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: MasterMischief on August 10, 2012, 10:33:51 PM
I would like to set aside our debate for just a minute and thank you for your service.

Sorry. WOTC saved the franchise.  And introduced the open source concept to a large segment of the gaming community. But my personal experience, aside fron their store in Chula Vista CA has been nothing short of hellish.

And I was trying to promote PFS play. We got three guys who play with NO books aside from organized play book as the SRD page has EVERYTHING but what has been put out in the last three months or so. They use a tablet...and have fun. Which is the big thing.

Brandon

The issue I always had with WoTC splats were how little was actually in them. Sure they were chalked full of new prestige classes, feats, skill uses and other options but there was very little besides new mechanical stuff. You know what I think was the best splat published by them? Book of Exalted deeds because it added setting info and new ways to look at the game not just the same dance of player options with nothing to sink my teeth into

Paizo has largely avoided that. When I read their books I always feel like the mechanics have enough with it to feel like a good purchase.

I suppose you could get a game without splats by going with a similar business model to Paizo (that being concentrating on adventure path publishing) but it seems like they would have to be a really small company to make a profit and even then people are probably going to ask for more. A company that doesnt give their customers what they want probably isnt going to last to long
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Callie Del Noire

I love the Adveture Path Books, and Brandon is right...I've yet to see a rule book that wasn't useful, and prestige classes don't have the same pull of the basic and core classes.

Here is what I like about their SRD, almost every item, feat, spell, trait and prestige class appears in it eventually. Their campaign setting books might not, but the crunch I just listed in them does. Ditto, modules and Adventure Path settings.