What do you find less fun: reading RP posts vs writing RP posts?

Started by Acid, March 03, 2012, 10:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acid

RPing is an experience that requires both reading and writing. Which seems like more work to you? Be honest.  ;)

Beguile's Mistress

I need to work at finding the time to read and the writing takes time it's easy to make when I'm in the mood.  I suppose that means reading is easier to do but writing is more fun but both are work.

jouzinka

I honestly found the least fun part of RPing to be waiting for me to post. >.<

The time when I know that I have games to reply to, knowing roughly what I want to reply with, but finding it hard to find the time, inclination, energy and inspiration to actually do so and type. That's the hardest and least fun part for me. Otherwise I like both the reading and obviously I immensely enjoy writing as well. :-)
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Iniquitous

+1 to Jouzi's post.

Even when I know exactly what I want to be in my next post, how I want it to go, getting it typed up and posted is by far the least favorite part of rping despite the fact that I love to write. I blame this on the fact that I am such a freaking perfectionist and my muse is a stubborn pain in my rump more times than not.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Shjade

Agreeing with the above, with the slight variation that it's figuring out where I want things to go that's not so fun. I like creating and refining characters and settings and events and concepts and ideas in general; I find plot to be an absolute chore.

I'm something like a week behind on responding to one story at the moment simply because I don't know where to go with it and it's making my mental wheels spin out. x.x
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

LunarSage

Reading is a whole lot easier than writing for me... but then, I struggle with writing in general.  It never seems to just flow for me.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Lyron

Generally, I find reading to be less fun--not to say that I dislike reading the posts, but I find writing too much fun, so, by default, the reading has to take the less fun spot. However, there are times when I also find writing to be a problem when I'm struggling with my muse. During those times, reading may sometimes take the more fun spot.

M/M Players for Groups: A Registry

Music junkie here!
Love random song shares.
Anyone, any genre, any time.

Hemingway

I don't enjoy any part of this. I do it because I have no choice.

Well, that's not entirely true.

I really don't like one better than the other. I just can't mentally separate one from the other. I mean, I know they're separate things, reading and writing, but as unsatisfying an answer as this is, one is nothing without the other. I mean, there's a reason I RP rather than read or write novels.

Noxie

I find reading RP posts to be a lot more fun. It's always interesting to see what the other person comes up with and how they respond to you. I look forward to reading responds.

In terms of writing RP posts, I tend to be my own harshest critic. It always takes me a lot of time to decided what I want to say and how I want to say it. Sometimes I'll even type, delete, and then retype multiple lines of story because I'm so unsure.

WindVoyager

I enjoy reading and writing Rp posts. Its always interesting to see what other people come up with. 

When it comes to writing RP posts, I am my own worst enemy. It some times takes me a long time to decide on what I want to post then erase it then redo it because I'm not always happy with it even if those I am RPing with are happy with it.

Dotley

I find writing my RP posts less fun. Honestly, I think sometimes the only reason I RP is so I can read my partner's replies. I like writing my posts, but it doesn't give me the giddy feeling I get when I read what my writing partners have written. I love writing in general, but I definitely love reading more - I suppose there's something special in knowing someone's written something with you in mind? That might be part of it, for me at least :]

Also, I think Noxie is onto something. I tend to really judge my own writing too, but I find the writing of my partners A+ amazing.
O&O's || A&A's

"I don’t use people for stories.
I use stories to express my feelings for people."

Ignis

I (also) have a harder time writing than reading. I can see the end result in my head but I have trouble explaining it and getting there. Its like trying to explain a sound (or a ruckus) to someone that didnt hear it. On the other hand reading the work is already done and I can sit down in my chair and read it out.

After a long enough time the writers block just seems to melt away and my thoughts go right from my brain to my fingers but it takes some time to get there.

Jassara Sunn

Ahhh, such a relief it was too see, read and know I'm not the only one that finds the writing to be a bit more difficult than reading!

I'm a nut about my writing as well. So I actually have to find time to sit and write my responses out. Then I will revise it, then re-write it. So, I find it best to keep my game involvement at 2 maximum.

ArtemisX

I find writing to be significantly harder than reading, and one of the funnest parts of most RPs is seeing the reaction of my partner(s) character. Therefore, I find reading to be the funnest part of roleplay.

However, reading would not be fun without writing to compliment it. I don't find reading a post that has nothing to do with my character very fun in comparison, and I don't find reading a post from an RP my character isn't in very fun at all. In fact, writing is very fun in its own way. I enjoy getting into the role of a character and thinking about what they might do in any given situation.

That's my two cents anyway~
A person once told me it didn't matter who I was on the outside, only who I was inside.

At that point I was faced with the ultimate question. Did that mean I should eat or be eaten /by/ someone awesome?~

Solstice

Writing is by far more difficult. Not the writing itself, but... getting ideas into word form in a manner that I am happy with, and getting over the "Nnh, this should be better" anxiety.
Apoloies & Absences - Updated 11/16/2014 - Around and available? Hopefully?

ShadowFox89

Quote from: jouzinka on March 04, 2012, 05:01:31 AM
I honestly found the least fun part of RPing to be waiting for me to post. >.<

I completely agree with you there. For me, it's because I hate feeling like I'm having someone wait for me to post. It makes me feel like, somehow, I'm letting someone down.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

DudelRok

The reading aspect will always be the "most difficult" part of it for me... but not for actual difficulty reasons. Reading requires that I put my usual conclusions to the side, in some cases, or (in the case of group games) skip posts altogether. RPers have a typical habit of being redundant with their posts (and I'm no exception) so I have to wait extended periods, at times, just so I don't feel like I'm reading the same post twice. Problem is, that doesn't always stop the "I've read this before" feeling.

I'm like this with a lot of reading, though. Published works, non-published, whatever... You could argue I simply dislike reading on a general level, but that wouldn't be fully true considering that reading permeates everything I do. (Games, movies, RPing, chatting online, etc)

I AM THE RETURN!

DudelWiki | On/Off Thread | A/A Thread