request for new request area

Started by Victor, January 10, 2011, 04:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victor

SO... apparently posting the fetishes that you are craving and what kinds of characters you are into at the time is not enough information for plot hooks (and your posts get deleted).

I want to request a new area like the One on One / Solo Roleplays Wanted and Non-Forum Roleplay Requests that is for people just to post what they are looking for at that time. (No I do not feel that this duplicates the ONs/OFFs forum... this would be for people who ARE requesting new stories but don't have a clear idea of what they want to play.

I know that it is the case for me that sometimes I am not looking for EVERYTHING on my ons and offs... not that I don't like them... just maybe wanting some things more than others... or maybe I am experimenting and will to try new fetishes (but since it is new I don't have a clear idea of what story to go with it and hope that somebody who has more experience will RP with me to show me how they enjoy it)

The other thing is that I often find myself enjoying thing I wouldn't have thought of. I think it would be great to have a place to post to say "Hey... I'm looking... not sure what for... this is what I am into for the week but I will listen to other ideas... go ahead and surprise me."

Of course I would understand moderators limiting people to one post in this area of something like that... but I still feel that it should exist.
"When the Lion fawns upon the Lamb, the Lamb will never cease to follow him." - Shakespeare

Cecilia

You can edit your o/o with your current interests as often as you need to.
You can use the new preference system to seek out like minded people and update your own fetishes there on a daily basis if you want.
You can comb through the wanted ads for a plot that works for you. 

I don't see why you can't make the distinction in avenues already provided.

Caeli

Stuff that you are specifically looking for but don't have any plot hooks or stories for can also go into your Ons and Offs, in my opinion. I know that when I was frequently looking for roleplays, I had an area in my O/Os specifically for things that I wanted to do at that time, which I edited whenever I put out requests and updated my idea/request thread. I have seen other people do similar things (wishlists, "things I'd like to try right now", etc.) in their Ons and Offs.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Victor

Quote from: Cecilia on January 10, 2011, 05:17:34 PM
You can edit your o/o with your current interests as often as you need to.
You can use the new preference system to seek out like minded people and update your own fetishes there on a daily basis if you want.
You can comb through the wanted ads for a plot that works for you. 

I don't see why you can't make the distinction in avenues already provided.

And yet a new area like I suggested would make all that less necessary.

That would imply that people know to look at your Ons/Offs for the update... that misses the step in which you can say *hey look at my stuff, its new, anyone interested*... and I know people that update their Ons/Offs even when they AREN'T looking for stories.
I have found the preference system to not be very useful since most people do not update theirs or even complete it.
I do comb through plots and I still think this would help since you are asking people to look at a couple of things you like and see if they have something they would want to do with it.
"When the Lion fawns upon the Lamb, the Lamb will never cease to follow him." - Shakespeare

Oniya

There's always the One-Shot Request area - the classifieds in there tend to be a bit more vague than a standard request thread (https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=65476.0 )  Also, if the 'one-shot' ends up taking off into something longer-term, then it's easy enough to move it to the appropriate forum.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Mithlomwen

Quote from: Victor on January 10, 2011, 05:47:36 PM
And yet a new area like I suggested would make all that less necessary.

That would imply that people know to look at your Ons/Offs for the update... that misses the step in which you can say *hey look at my stuff, its new, anyone interested*... and I know people that update their Ons/Offs even when they AREN'T looking for stories.
I have found the preference system to not be very useful since most people do not update theirs or even complete it.
I do comb through plots and I still think this would help since you are asking people to look at a couple of things you like and see if they have something they would want to do with it.

But an entire new new board for requests isn't really necessary.  What you are suggesting can already be covered by the suggestions already offered or taken care of via PM.  If you don't know exactly what you are craving, what is the point in posting that you don't know what you want to play, but are looking to play? 

By looking through ideas already posted,  you might find something you are interested in playing, or perhaps find someone that you think you might like to RP with, and you can then PM them and brainstorm ideas together. 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Victor

Thanks for the idea Oniya... not exactly what I mean but that's cool.

I mean hey... the moderators are in control... if they don't like they idea then they don't have to do it.

I just like the idea of having a place to post that kind of stuff. (since my last one was deleted without a chance to revise it... and since my hand it broken I am not looking forward to re-typing it)

Maybe another idea is a forum where moderators can move stuff that isn't breaking any legal rules... just not posted in the right area. I have had people kind of enough to re direct me before so it sucks to lose something that took me a long while to put together... when I feel that it still made total sense where it was.

All in all I don't see what the problem is with being a little vague with story requests.... any story starts in simple places.

Example: Old dude comes and finds young no body and convinces him that he has a destiny to save the world... vague yes... however that describes Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings, The Matrix, Arthur and Merlin... and many others.

Oniya

Another thing you could do is add a single post to the end of your O/Os, title it 'Current Cravings' (or whatever), and link that specific post in your sig.  You could update that as often as you want, even date the update in your sig, the way some people date their A/As.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Victor

Fair enough... but then what is the best way to let people know that I am actively looking for stories?

Oniya

I have an example in my own sig:

Seeking _____, ideas here  (example in post not actually linked)

In my case, since I have some more involved plot-lines, it's linked to a regular request thread, but the same sort of thing could easily be linked to a fetish/pairing post in your O/Os.  Any post that you make on the board sort of becomes your own little advertisement.

Victor

That's a very solid idea Oniya... I do still wish there was just a forum for saying *hey! anyone looking for an RP buddy* because while you are right that it isn't hard for people to find your info... people are just more likely to look into something right in front of them (ask anyone in marketing)

Caeli

If you would like a copy of the post that was deleted, that's something you can ask any Siren/Satyr or God/Goddess for, Victor.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Victor

That would be very much appreciated. Rather than have to re-write the whole thing I will just add story examples and prompt so that I can actually use it.

jouzinka

Quote from: Victor on January 10, 2011, 06:29:37 PM
Fair enough... but then what is the best way to let people know that I am actively looking for stories?
The best advice for obtaining new games I ever got: make friends. Works miracles. If you put the link into your sig and start to be active on the forums, people are going to notice you, they are going to click those links and you'll get more game requests.

Simple as that. :-) A single shout "I'm looking for RPs" most likely isn't going to get you anywhere here; people (my experience says) here are looking for reliable partners who stick around and have been for a while for simply lessening the possibility that they vanish from the surface of the Earth never to be seen again on the boards or in their game.
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Victor

LOL nevermind... feels like trying to pass a bill in congress. I got my post info back so I don't have to spend the time to retype everything so no biggie... I was just trying to make a helpful suggestion.

As far as making friends goes... I have certainly tried and brought some of my RL friends to the forum and while I don't have any problem with most of the people on the forum... I don't really have the same perspective that many on here seem to.

Thank you for your suggestions. I will go back to my corner and mind my own business.

Trieste

I'm sorry that you feel your idea was not well-received, Victor. It simply appears that there is not a need for such a forum.

Hopefully your hand heals quickly. :)

Victor

Its all good... I am probably just cranky because of the damn pain meds.

Trieste

Yeah, pain meds make me ridiculously cranky. And then I wonder what everyone else's freakin problem is. >.>;; Lots of water helps, a little. >.>;;

Victor

LOL yeah... well I appreciate that people actually thought about it... maybe it will get used down the road.

Vekseid

I think the main issue with your suggestion is not that your idea doesn't have merit, it's that it divides attention and confuses people further.

The more options people have, the more time they spend thinking, and the less they decide.

So a suggestion should, ideally, enhance or merge currently available options in a superior manner.

Which is really hard with SMF. : /

Victor

It just seems like with people having a roleplay preferences area... and Ons/Offs... and Threads ideas... and link to sites that give more info on Ons and Offs... it would be easier to have a section where a person can say, "These are the things I would like to run with currently." I do understand that people can just post stories including those things currently... but for me I guess I don't really worry so much about specific stories so much as the elements in them... hence the post I had made which apparently didn't fit the criteria.