If you've never played DnD3E...

Started by PurplAstralMagma, December 23, 2012, 06:54:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PurplAstralMagma

I am ready to simulate that for you.
You'll be playing two levels of game, 1 = the player of the 2nd, 2 = the DnD3e game.
If you want to participate, simply post a reply containing:

A) 8 'rolls' (use an online roller if you wish) of 4d6, ignore the die with the lowest number then total for each 'roll';
B) Choose whether you want to play a Fighter, a Scout (Rogue), or a Sorceror (later on, we can play other DnD3E games with more options, but I'm limiting things at this point to keep it easy to understand and play;
C) Choose a gender;
D) Choose a race: Human, no adjustments and +1 feat at level 1; Elf; Dwarf; Halfling; Gnome; Half-Orc; Half-Celestial (Human, Elf, Dwarf, Halfling, or Gnome), or Half-Fiend (Human, Elf, Dwarf, Halfling, or Gnome);
E) Your character has 6 ability scores which go a long way toward defining him/ her/ it - - -
     Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma. If anyone needs further definition of these in game terms, I will be glad to post such. Each ability score affects other things your character can do, like make a "Save", or use a "Skill", etc. Decide where the six highest of your eight 'rolls' go. IE, put one in Strength, one in Dexterity, etc. Show this by listing:
     "Character Name", "(Fighter/Scout/Rogue)", "Gender", "Race", "Player Name",
(blank line)
     "Strength":"(the number you put into strength)"
     "Dexterity": "(the number you put into dexterity)"
     "Constitution": "(etc)"
     "Intelligence": "(etc)"
     "Wisdom": "(etc)"
     "Charisma": "(etc)"

F) You will each be starting the game as one or another 'teenager' (human equivalent = '16'), living in a village together at 0 level, with 4 Hit Points - - - at game start the village will be invaded, and of all the villagers, only the player-characters will survive. We may get more players after we start, so keep in mind that I may post something like: "World-edit - you remember 'so-and-so' living in your village when you were growing up, you haven't seen him since the village was invaded, but now..." If so, you'll have to adjust your character's memories, and act as if you have known that character, etc.
G) You'll have questions, want to talk to each other, etc - - - Preface all such posts with "Player-Name", OOC (meaning Out-Of-Character), otherwise I assume your character is saying it (if the post is in quotes) or doing it. Please try to use good punctuation and spelling.

xxmaxinitxx

This seems fun. I have wanted to learn and try this type of game before. I have never done any type of DnD before. So a little bit more detail on everything will be nice. are those 6 the only stats we will be using? Do we use the 8 rolls in the beginning on those stats? What is a feat?

PurplAstralMagma

Those six are indeed the only stats used. There are other things, like 'Armor Class', 'Hit Points', 'Skill Points', etc that are figured. But I want to start easy. A 'Feat' is basically an advantage, like, say "Alertness" - - - this gives you a "+2 Bonus" when you are using either of the skills: 'Listen', or 'Spot'. There are a lot of feats that modify how well your character's use of her/his skills are. Then there are feats like "Combat Reflexes" - - - which increases the number of 'Attacks of Opportunity' that your character has by his/ her Dexterity Bonus. If s/he doesn't have a Dexterity Bonus, this is a waste. This basically means that if your character has a Dex of 17, Bonus = +3, and then whenever four enemies run closely past your character, s/he has a chance to hit each of them once before the rest of the combat results are figured out. Generally, everyone gets one feat at character creation, and another every three levels (four if your character is a half-Celestial or half-Fiend animal).

I will love to get this going, but I need at least another two players to make it consistently interesting.

PurplAstralMagma

This:  {    "Character Name", "(Fighter/Scout/Rogue)",  } should read: "Character Name", "(Fighter/Rogue/Sorceror)",  .

SheepishRogue

Hey, I'd like to learn some DnD as well. Also, I would recommend using E's Dicebot for rolls since it records them and we can name each roll for record's sake.
My name makes my favorite class pretty obvious XD, here's my potential char:
(rolls: 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 9, 8, 6)

Rhoslyn, Rogue, Female, Elf, Nicole

Strength: 12
Dexterity: 13
Constitution: 9
Intelligence: 9
Wisdom: 10
Charisma: 11

Anything else you need?
More about me!       Ons and Offs
Skype Available

Teranis

Well, I have played D&D Online if that counts at all  ;D  I used http://www.roll-dice-online.com/ and for once I had some luck!

Number of sides: 6 (six, cubical die, d6)   Number of dice to roll: 4  Number of rolls: 8

Result

4 - 5 - 4 - 4 (Avg: 4.25)  13

5 - 2 - 2 - 4 (Avg: 3.25)  11

3 - 5 - 2 - 4 (Avg: 3.5)  12

5 - 3 - 2 - 4 (Avg: 3.5)  12

5 - 1 - 6 - 6 (Avg: 4.5)  17

6 - 4 - 2 - 4 (Avg: 4.0)  14

3 - 1 - 5 - 5 (Avg: 3.5)  13

4 - 6 - 4 - 3 (Avg: 4.25)  14

So that gives me 17,14,14,13,13,12

Gwindor Anwamane, Fighter, Male, Elf

Strength: 17