Purgatory - Warriors & Slaves, Prestige & Survival (Low-Fantasy; Interest Check)

Started by Lunar Raven, October 04, 2015, 10:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunar Raven

When men and women die, their fate is to rise to heaven or be cast down into hell.  Yet some, dissatisfied with the absolute 'perfection' of heaven or seeking to escape the torments of hell, find a another option awaits them.  Once a piece of hell itself, those who alight upon it find only a jagged, broken, barren landscape.  The third option.  Existing only slightly detached from the abyss it was drawn from, it's only offerings are hardship and toil, but also freedom from the puritan law of heaven above and reprieve from the horrors of hell below.

Ripped away from its diabolic origins, it now exists as a refuge for those souls who arrive intact.  Those who come here, have immortality: they do not age, cannot starve nor die of thirst, and neither disease, nor poison, nor violence can kill them.  Yet they can feel the passage of time and are subject to the pangs of hunger and the torment of thirst, to say nothing of the agonies of the violence, poison, and disease.

And so they called it Purgatory.

On an almost daily basis, new souls fall from the sky like comets and occasionally caught up by the barren land.  Those who don't burn up in the atmosphere to fall on the ground as raw crystalline soul-stuff, rise up in human form once again, given a new lease on life.  For the lucky few who are not driven insane by this new existence and join the ranks of Purgatory's feral damned, they eventually find their way to The Haven...

Hello all and thanks for looking!  For now, this is just to test the waters and see if this idea has any popularity, so without further ado..

WHAT TYPE OF GAME IS THIS?
Generally a sandbox game, heavy of the social interaction element, with a theme of warriors and slaves.  There will be plot in the background, but will only come into effect if the game has at least a few invested players (i.e. after player dropout).  This isn't really about player vs. player, though (friendly; i.e. agreed between players) rivalries would certainly contribute to the feel of the setting.

WHAT IS THIS ABOUT? (NSFW)
The blurb above should have generally outlined the idea.  The story in general follows a small fortified town called Haven, the one place in Purgatory that has managed to form some semblance of community.  The Haven is ruled over by group of a Warlord who enforces a rigid caste system between Warriors (who put their lives on the line to keep the place safe) and  Slaves (who tend to workings of the Haven and, more importantly, the needs of Warrior caste).  Every day life in Purgatory is a constant struggle against oppression and despair - their physiological needs are suspended, yet the psychological necessity of those physical needs is still very much there; whilst no one can starve or die of thirst, they still feel the need for it, and Purgatory does not provide for very much beyond rock, soil, and, very rarely, metal deposits.  Livestock and crops have never existed here.

To distract themselves, social prestige and carnal gratification quickly become the chief ways of life, and serves to blunt the ever present hunger and thirst.  The Warrior caste defend Haven from those that would threaten this fragile veneer of civilisation - the hordes of damned, broken souls and demons that occasionally creep up from hell that lies, literally, just below them, who come seeking to drag any they can back down into the pit.  Because of this, the warrior caste is entitled to their rewards.

The slave caste, despite their seemingly insignificant role other than to serve the warrior caste with their bodies and talents, nevertheless significantly influences which warriors rise to in status and those who sink into common ranks.  Skilled slaves gain considerably more leeway and freedoms than those of lesser status, gaining the right to choose who they bed, demand compensation for their time, confer more prestige to the warrior that owns them - the most prestigious of slaves are, in general, slaves in name only.  Slaves, in addition, due to the time they have on their hands also have a much higher tendency to unlock mystical abilities, either through deep contemplation on the nature of metaphysical reality or perhaps through madness induced by an almost constant state of hunger and starvation - such seers and witches are highly valued.

WHAT IS THE WORLD LIKE?
Purgatory is a continental-sized ring of almost barren landscape that floats above the crimson, malevolent haze of hell below.  Numerous monstrosities lurk that are hunted for hide and bone, and rarely meat, whilst prospectors search for precious deposits of metal.  One of the most notable, and feared places in purgatory is the Dreadwood - the only place where lumber can be found, whilst silk can be had harvested from the worms that inhabit it and generally give the place its name.  At the centre of the ring, in its hollow, floats a miniature city built in classical Greek or Roman style, all of which sits in the shadow of a great white pyramid at its centre.  It is largely believed that whoever or whatever created Purgatory resides here, but no one has ever been able to get across the vast gulf between the continental ring and the city within.

In general, this is world of stone walls, iron swords, copper javelins, hide tents, leather harness, sheer silk, and mounds of fur for beds.

System or Freeform?
I'm still trying to decide between Freeform or a Custom System (simplistic and mostly just for knowing what people are capable of), though suggestions would be quite welcome.

Who is it open to?
All players, sexualities, and genders.  In theory, any character idea is welcome, though I'll only ask that they be built according to the themes mentioned above and that the Ons & Offs of other players are respected.  Likewise, male slaves and female warriors are every bit as welcome as the traditional male warriors and female slaves that this type of setting seems to imply.

Non-human characters?
I'm going to say that this would be human characters, since the majority of interaction would be based inside Haven, though I am considering the possibility of transformation/corruption of characters.  For those so interested in monster on human sex, that's also a possibility, but probably outside the walls of Haven (and if there are players interested in playing the monsters.)

If anyone has suggestions or ideas, I'm more than happy to hear them at this point since this is all just concept work for now.  Also, if anybody is interested in helping build and help run a game like this, that would be most welcome too.  If you have an interest, give us a rough idea of the kind of character you'd like to play, which should give everyone a demographic of possible characters they are likely to encounter.  Thanks for your time.

A big welcome to all newcomers!  Currently, the tally for warriors and slaves appear to be:

Warriors:
Chreestafer (Male)
Golden Spider (Male)
LaCroix (Unknown)
VonDoom (Male)
Xanthaine (Female)

Slaves:
CurvyKitten (Gender pending)
Blonde (Female)
Etherealgirl (Female)
Max (Pending, Male or Female)
RampantDesires (Female)

Unknown:
CarnivalOfTheGoat

NEW EDIT: IMPORTANT
As I mentioned before, I'm still deciding on whether to make this free form or a custom system of my own devising.  Those of you who want to look at it, can find it here.  It's in a half-finished state, but I think it's more or less straightforward on how it intends to accomplish results.

At this point, your opinions on whether you'd prefer free-form or this system would go a long way to helping me decide whether I should leave it and start the game sooner or finish it and start a wee bit later (it's about 1 more day from completion), so do let me know you're opinions.

Also, for those who'd prefer a system, would you be comfortable with free-form if I decide not to go with it?

Thanks.
Member of the INTP group.  What's yours?

Ons/Offs: Elliquiy; F-List
Current Status: Closed.  Only seeking a GM for a solo game.
My Tumblr Blog (NSFW; Mostly Impreg)

Lunar Raven's gallery of Desired Titillations
Idea & Request Thread

Golden Spider

Here are my O/Os: http://bit.ly/1HmHtRE 

I have taken the Oath of the Drake: http://tinyurl.com/ptea68l

Xanthaine

Blonde

On&Off's | Request Thread NewestV.1 && V.2 | Visual Index | Gif Index

VonDoom

Interested, but I'll have to figure out if I can afford another game right now.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Etherealgirl

This seems awesome! :D any objection to creating a slave whom is pregnant?

Lunar Raven

Hi guys and thanks to everyone who has show interest so far!  I'm beginning to think it may go forward after all  :-)

Quote from: Golden Spider on October 05, 2015, 12:19:14 AM
This sounds intriging and fun. I'm in!
Quote from: Xanthaine on October 05, 2015, 03:31:15 AM
Colour me interested! :D
DO you guys have a particular character concept in mind, however vague?

Quote from: Blonde on October 05, 2015, 03:58:13 AM
Would like to add my interest in a female slave role.
Great to know we'll have at least one slave so far!  I look forward to seeing her.

Quote from: VonDoom on October 05, 2015, 04:27:40 AM
Interested, but I'll have to figure out if I can afford another game right now.
I'll hope for the best, but of course, don't overburden yourself - I'm seeing you as warrior type that taunts his enemies with "None may touch D***, but that he should wish it!"  (lol, I love Doctor Doom!)

Quote from: Etherealgirl on October 05, 2015, 09:23:53 AM
This seems awesome! :D any objection to creating a slave whom is pregnant?
I see no reason why not, though it may also be fun for that to happen in game  ;)

Keep them coming, and also any who would like to help out  :-)

Idea & Request Thread

Etherealgirl

Xanthaine

Willing to do either, but have a preference for a warrior, female if possible. :)

Max

Would be interested in playing a slave, either male or female (if that is okay).

A question, if I may.  Does it matter what kind of world we came from before we died?  Or we can come from different ones.  Such as one from modern day, another from super-high tech, another from fantasy?  I get that we can't take anything with us, but just wondering about backgrounds.
"Are you into whips and chains too?"
"No, chainsaws."  (just kidding)

Ons and offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4738.new#new

Lunar Raven

Quote from: Xanthaine on October 05, 2015, 10:43:50 AM
Willing to do either, but have a preference for a warrior, female if possible. :)
Most certainly!  Kick-ass girls are always a good thing in my book.

Quote from: Max on October 05, 2015, 10:58:53 AM
Would be interested in playing a slave, either male or female (if that is okay).

A question, if I may.  Does it matter what kind of world we came from before we died?  Or we can come from different ones.  Such as one from modern day, another from super-high tech, another from fantasy?  I get that we can't take anything with us, but just wondering about backgrounds.
To your first, that's perfectly fine!

As for the second, I think its open to debate at this point, though my initial concept for this called for them to be from Earth (our Earth), but they could come from a wide variety of time periods, including mythical eras (Arthurian, Mythic Greek, etc...)  Using that as a certain logic, people who come from more historic times would probably just be quitting from heaven or escaping from hell, though it is possible they've just been hovering in limbo for ages.  People from more modern times (let's say 1980s +) could just be arriving, having not yet headed to heaven or hell (though they should have been aware of their respective fates and that they wanted to avoid them).

Like I said, this still the development phase, so if people voice their likes and wants right now, that would be great.

Idea & Request Thread

Xanthaine

Liking the feel of either a big barbarian lady (Conan styled I suppose) or a small, lithe duellisty type... hate decisions. :o

Etherealgirl

VonDoom

Browsing my image gallery for inspiration. So far I have ...

Brief character ideas

Purgatory-born; son of a mad witch. Has feasted on demon flesh, earning him his unusual ears/eyes/nails. Keeps slaves, but doesn't care about them -- as long as a sufficient number is there to tend his wounds and other needs, he lets them do whatever they like as long as they don't cause negative repercussions to fall on him with their behaviour. He only really cares about female warriors and will treat them equally if he feels they deserve it, but will enslave them to serve as privileged warrior-slaves if he can.

No particular idea yet, but looks appropriate.

A former slave from ancient times who acquired mystical powers. Now supplementing a brutal martial art with flame magic, he earned himself a position as a warrior.

O&O

Etherealgirl

VonDoom

O&O

Chreestafer

Definitely in on this idea.

My thoughts were same as Max though, time is irrelevant in the heavens, so coI'll it be possible for me (during roman era) arrive the same time a salesman from 2015 arrives? Also how over populated is it? Or do people rarely come here?
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

Chreestafer

“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

VonDoom

He looks just like Bob from sales! ... striking out the unnecessarily sarcastic remark. :p Abandoned the 2015 salesperson idea, then?

Edit: ... nevermind, I didn't read the question properly. >_>

O&O

Lunar Raven

Quote from: Chreestafer on October 05, 2015, 12:21:14 PM
Definitely in on this idea.

My thoughts were same as Max though, time is irrelevant in the heavens, so coI'll it be possible for me (during roman era) arrive the same time a salesman from 2015 arrives? Also how over populated is it? Or do people rarely come here?
A Roman era arriving at the same time as said salesman is possible - like I mentioned previously, he could have only just managed to slip free of heaven or escape hell, or maybe he did so long ago and has been drifting through the aether.

Lots of people find their way to this place, but out of every 1000 that land here, approximately 500 those are found by demons and dragged to hell, 400 succumb to madness because of continual starvation and thirst without the mercy of death thereafter to roam the land as the damned where they succumb to attrition (dare I say they're comparable to vigorous zombies but with a malevolent bent).  The remaining 100 find their way to settlements (Haven is not unique, but it is the most ordered, safest, and sane), so approximately 10 or so will get to Haven itself.  Even then, that number will suffer attrition - occasionally a demonic raid will break through, or, most likely, will be lost in the various expeditions outside of Haven's walls to keep it supplied with metal and wood.  Few in Haven can boast being there for over 50 years.

The current population of Haven is approximately just under a thousand individuals.

Idea & Request Thread

CarnivalOfTheGoat

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Lunar Raven

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on October 05, 2015, 01:45:37 PM
So many character ideas, so little time...
Lol, well you probably have more time than you think, since this is an interest check, which may go on for another day or two.  It think it's safe to say I'll probably launch this, but I still have preparations to make... so there's yet time  :-)

Idea & Request Thread

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Lunar Raven on October 05, 2015, 01:47:49 PM
Lol, well you probably have more time than you think, since this is an interest check, which may go on for another day or two.  It think it's safe to say I'll probably launch this, but I still have preparations to make... so there's yet time  :-)

Mmmmm. I was more referring to how much time I could devote to new games.

Although this does beg the question, "Can we play more than one character?"

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Lunar Raven

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on October 05, 2015, 01:51:02 PM
Although this does beg the question, "Can we play more than one character?"
Theoretically yes, in that I'm not opposed to it, but I'd recommend players working one character at a time until they're sure they can handle more.

Idea & Request Thread

RampantDesires

Ugh I really need to get out of the request boards, but the urge to play a female slavish type is overwhelming.

Maybe a greek or celtic oracle type willing to trade both her extremely limited mystical abilities and her body for protection in this brutal place... *ponders*

Viking 'soulmates'? I kinda love the idea of them being drawn into Purgatory together, mostly because of this picture.  I'd probably be up for either NPCing the male, writing him out completely (he can 'die' almost immediately upon arriving :P) or even discussing a shared history with another player if this gets rolling.  They wouldn't be stuck together for the course of the game.  It's definitely more drama filled if they arrive separately, have awhile to themselves, and then eventually run into one another later. Oh the shock of seeing your mate forced or voluntarily moving on to another.  Why must I be such a bastard to my characters? Ahh well.

So yeah, I'll definitely be thinking about more concrete ideas and keeping an eye on this :D

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->