Elliquiy Userscript: New user badges

Started by Kotep, May 22, 2013, 08:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kotep

Elliquiy looks great, which is why it always struck me as odd that the user badges have a very 90's/early 00's heavy photoshop layer effects sort of look.  So after sitting on this thought for a while, I finally decided to look into making a userscript for Elliquiy to replace the images with something different.  I kept the color scheme of Elliquiy's badges, but made them simpler and flatter so they stick out less. 

Here's a look at it in action:

Here are all of them together:

And here's the userscript: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/168192

A good place to check out the effects is this post from the Guide to Elliquiy, since it has a list of all the badges.  I used it for reference when making these so if there's some badges that I haven't replaced, that's why.  The images are packaged up into the script so it's all there in one download.  I tested it out in the latest versions of Firefox (with Greasemonkey) and Chrome (with and without Tampermonkey) and it works fine in both places, as far as I know.

If you have any comments, feedback, or suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them! 

Moraline

I do think the old ones look a bit dated.

However, I'm not a big fan of the flat mono look. I think I would like them better if they had the glassy finish look of an iPhone app with rounded edges.

iPhone large image

Beguile's Mistress

Interesting.  It seems okay for the black badges.  I think the gemlike look of the badges is more fitting for Elliquiy but I guess I'm spoiled by my own pretty. :-)

Stella

I'm a fan of the current gem-like badges. I like that E looks different to other sites and isn't following the latest graphic trends.

Nadir

While I think the current badges could do with an update, those look like a downgrade.

Kotep

I'm actually a fan of the flat mono look, but I guess that's because I'm more Android than iOS. :P  The main thing I was working for was a style that would be close to that of Elliquiy, which uses a lot of simple colors and plain text.  (Specifically, I had the online/offline indicator in mind, since it's one of the closest visual elements to the badges.)  I can see about putting together a more elaborate style in Photoshop, though.

Vekseid

Some things to keep in mind:

1) The width was fit to the maximum avatar width when they were first made... in 2005. New badges should probably have a width slightly less than that of the 'My Role Play Preferences' text.

2) I've been debating on putting in masks/border-radius on people's avatars. I'm not going for a Windows 8 'aesthetic' in the new cms. Rounded corners all the way.

3) Fewer bevels, though, yes.

4) There's no more need for the NING tag.

5) Should probably differentiate between the access restricted groups. Denied/Banned should be set apart from the rest, as those are the only ones that are 'permanent'.

I was thinking of going deeper into the gem look with them - complete with translucence and colored shadow - but it's something I'd have to see in action.

Vampdrake19

I'm in for the gem-like badges.  If you folks want me to be honest with all of ya, the gem-like badges stand out more and - on a personal note - are really pretty.
Available for New Threads.  See links below if interested.  PM for discussion.  RP threads on Forums ONLY.
Bloodscale Manor (Updated with O/O's and Character Pods)
Thread Parlor
Times Away (A/A's)
Fair warning to those who are partners with me, recently or previously: posts will come slow, so patience is required.  Also: I don't reply to E-mails and I don't do Discord

Dovel

I enjoy the Gem-like badges also. They stand out and add a bit of flare to the website.
Now we live, tomorrow not
Enjoy your pleasures, lest they rot
Let not them pass this very day
For on the morrow regret may with you stay

Oreo

>_> I want the pink Mentor badges back.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Autumn Sativus

Quote from: Oreo on May 23, 2013, 08:16:41 AM
>_> I want the pink Mentor badges back.
NOOOOOO! Please no... :'(

I'm for the gem badges too. The flat ones don't seem to draw the eye as much.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Oreo

Quote from: Saffron on May 23, 2013, 09:05:02 AM
NOOOOOO! Please no... :'(

I'm for the gem badges too. The flat ones don't seem to draw the eye as much.
*giggles* Okay, just for you though.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Meliai

Hmmmmmm, I'd actually volunteered to do some graphics work for the site a while back, but got sidetracked by Life Stuff. Making little gem bars that look a lot nicer than the current batch is a snap, I'll see if I can whip together some samples durring my breaks today
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}           

Oniya

If anyone is interested, Veks put up a thread detailing what kind of new art would be appreciated for the site - not just badges, but things like the little icons that show up in the tabs and suchlike.

Elliquiy Art Drive
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17