K-EM Enterprises: A Virtual Reality Adventure [NC]

Started by Esoteric Myobi, June 09, 2011, 03:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esoteric Myobi

[.Introduction.]

It is the year 2222. Technology has advanced to the point where convenience is absolute. Corporations have forever been striving for an electronic device that is full of functional features and is still small and sleek. They succeeded with the breakthrough of 3D tablets, along with the creation of 'Accessorize' -- miniature computers with limited functionalities, as compared to their tablet counterparts, and styled to pass for an accessory. Computers of old, such as laptops and desktops, have long become obsolete. Yet there was still one area that had not been broken through.

Virtual Reality.

Until K-EM Enterprises that is.

The biggest conglomerate dealing in the creation of electronics, K-EM Enterprises was the first to create both 3D tablets and Accessorize. Now, they unveil their latest development -- a virtual reality console.

After years of testing in the labs, K-EM had finally perfected virtual reality. And now they're ready to sell it to the masses.

As the public anticipates the date of its opening sale, K-EM Enterprises announces that ten lucky winners will be able to visit their headquarters and experience the virtual world. These winners will walk away as the first owners of the world's latest technology.

No one could have predicted the chaos about the follow...

Welcome to K-EM Enterprises, an adventure game taking place within the realm of virtual reality! This is a game where players will be transported to a world of wonders, a place where virtually anything is possible.

[.What.To.Expect.]

Our ten lucky winners will be gathering at the headquarters of K-EM Enterprises for a three-day weekend tour of the system, at the end of the tour they will leave as the first ten people in the world to have experienced K-EM's virtual world and be the proud owners of their own free consoles.

Time moves faster in the virtual world than it does in reality, approximately three times faster. This gives the guests an estimate of one weeks time within the virtual world to fully enjoy themselves -- only one week instead of nine days since some time is deducted for the preparation of entering and leaving the virtual world.

While players are able to fully feel and experience everything that occurs in the virtual world, this does not change the fact that bodily functions must still be met. However, for the sake of a full tour, without the interruption of needing food for replenishment and other such matters, the ten winners will be placed in a short cryogenic sleep.

While K-EM's tech team overlooks the steps of cryogenic sleep, the virtual world is overlooked by a Central AI. The Central AI has been pre-programmed to run the world and maintain the system. It makes and controls various other AIs (NPCs) throughout the virtual world. They are so well-made that it is hard to differentiate them from another player.

All seems to be well and going according to schedule, but what happens when a hacker working for a rival company manages to infiltrate K-EM Enterprises under the guise of one of the winners...?

A suddenly malfunctioning system is the answer, and our ten winners no longer seem so lucky.

Will they be able to survive the twisted games of the AI and leave the headquarters of K-EM Enterprises unscathed?

Basically, this will be a game of adventure where players are pitted against various obstacles set up by the GMs.

Players can expect for there to be several different and completely random 'worlds' to traverse through. As they travel, players will bump into the different AIs that make up the Central AI. Some of these AIs may help the players (for a price), while others want nothing more than to hinder or outright harm them.

Players will not necessarily all be together in a group at all times. There may be times when some are alone, and the group is scattered. While actual death is not possible within the virtual world, players are transported to a penalty area when they 'die'. Once they have received their penalty, they are free to roam the world once again. However, since players are able to feel and experience everything, death surely will not be pleasant.

[.Available.Roles.]

AIs: There will be seven main AIs that will be played by the GMs [myself and Kunoichi] as well as any other NPC characters. AIs have their own unique agendas, as well as personalities. Whether or not an AI will prove to be an ally or an enemy to the Users, only time will tell.

Users: These are the ten not-so-lucky winners that are now trapped within the Virtual World. How will they fare against the AIs?

Hacker: Out of the ten Users, one is a hacker from a rival company. This will be a secret role and Users will eventually find out who the hacker among them is. If you are interested in this role, please send a PM to the GM expressing your interest and we will discuss the role. Essentially, the Hacker will be like the AIs' spy. Having failed in hacking the system, his/her mind is broken by the central AI. However...will the hacker manage to free him/herself from the AI's control? Will s/he continue helping the AIs or will s/he side with the Users?

[.Character.Profile.Sheet.]

[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Sexuality:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b]
[b]Avatar Appearance:[/b] (It can be the same as your character's original appearance with enhancements, such as smoother skin, bigger breasts, cat ears and a tail etc. Or it can be something completely different. Please keep it mostly humanoid however.)
[b]Physical Enhancements:[/b] (Can only have one. Examples: Better hearing, greater strength, etc.)
[b]Positive Traits:[/b] (List three)
[b]Negative Traits:[/b] (List three)
[b]Skills:[/b] (Optional, list three at most)
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]Biography:[/b]
[b]Ons/Offs:[/b]

Once characters are approved, a cast list will be posted here. We are looking for players who are:

• Willing and able to post at least once a week.
  • Posts should be at least 4 sentences minimum, however, longer posts are always welcome.
  • There is to be no text-speak, grammar and writing should be understandable though not necessarily perfect. If I'm struggling to read and understand your post because of spelling and grammar errors, this is bad.
  • Creative writers! This is a virtual world where the boundaries of creativity are only limited to your imagination. Think up creative ways to escape, to bribe, to end the game in one piece. However, this is a game of survival and thus players will undoubtedly need to work together.

[.Cast.Thus.Far.]

Sean O'Flaherty played by TheHangedMan
Roger Park played by Iksander
Micheal Dodger played by BigBuckBob
Mimi Johnson played by Shihong
Nora Flynn played by lore
Joseph Arlington played by nishi
Mag Bezentien played by ReanimateMagnus
Daniel "Twirdy" Quirk played by DudelRok
Seth Adler played by Wolf Heart
Heo Sae-Jin played by Lithium
Laura Bronze played by Linna

...I want to be your wet dream, your daydream, your only distraction...
~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~
Status: Currently have my hands full running Bump in the Night. Always recruiting~!

TheHangedOne

Looks like fun, Myobi.  :-) I'm interested in being one of the (un)lucky winners. I'll make up a character sheet some time between now and Monday.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

BigBuckBob

Ons and Offs
Waiting for a Post?
I am disappoinment width you're grammer.

Esoteric Myobi

Hurray, interest. =) Glad to know that there is some. ^^

Looking forward to seeing your character sheet THM, you know you're always welcome!

~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~
Status: Currently have my hands full running Bump in the Night. Always recruiting~!

Iksander

This definitely seems like something up my alley, I'll try to get a sheet to you soon, Myobi.
I'm Just Some Guy.
Really.

Esoteric Myobi

~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~

TheHangedOne

Alright. I'm going to chip away at this in bits and pieces over the day.
Name: Sean O'Flaherty
Sexuality: Straight as an arrow

Physical Enhancements: Fast Reflexes
Positive Traits:
Adaptive
Quick-thinker
Strong Will
                                     Negative Traits:
                                     Loner
                                     Stubborn
                                     Distrustful
                                     Skills:
                                     Gaming!
                                     Personality: Eccentric and neurotic to the point where many may question his sanity. He apparently has two radically different sides to himself. One is kind, caring, light-hearted, childish, and whimsical; the other side deathly serious, dry, aggressive, and humorless.
                                     Biography: Sean's been gaming since he was a little kid; handheld games, console games, computer games, hell, even tabletop games.  He even hopes to one day be a game dev (but that'll never happen; he's too lazy). Unfortunately, when your only real interaction with other people comes in the form of roleplaying games, you tend to end up a little...crazy. Such is the case with Sean.

What he knows of other people, life, the universe, and everything else is basically relegated to what he's learned from playing video games.  And yet, he's just fine the way he is, failing to understand why people make a big deal about having a social life or boring things like that.
                                     Ons/Offs:
                                     ON: Nothing in particular
                                     OFF: Vore, gore, mutilation, scat/watersports.
Check out my poet tree!

Kunoichi

Well, looks like we've got a decent amount of interest thus far. ^^

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

Kunoichi

TheHangedOne

Done! For now. I may end up tweaking and refining him after a time.
Check out my poet tree!

Esoteric Myobi

Hurray, our first profile. =) I see that you chose an interested avatar for your loner :P

~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~

Iksander

Name: Roger Park
Sexuality: Bisexual

Appearance:

Physical Enhancements: Increased healing rate
Positive Traits: Creative, uncorruptable, logical
Negative Traits: Lazy, irreverant, over-confident
Skills: Problem-solving, graphic design, business savvy

Personality: Roger generally approaches life with a sense of humor and a relaxed sensibility.  He rarely takes anything seriously, but since nothing stresses him, he's capable of approaching any situation with the same amount of energy.  Of course, that amount of energy is usually just enough to get him to solve the problem.  He's generally easy to get along with, though.

Biography: Roger was a trend-setter in terms of multimedia integration, devising new market strategies to help use the advancing technology of the day to help not only market goods but to aid in implementation.  All his life, he was a fan of the electronic world, finding little pleasure in day to day existence in the real world.  But he found a talent for understanding the unification of the two, even when he was in high school.  In college, after several failed majors, Roger found himself in marketing and discovered ways of making money from his passion.  Five years later and he was wealthy enough to retire early, though he instead opened a small marketing firm of his own, occassionally taking interesting cases while mostly involving himself in his leisure.

Ons/Offs: Same as mine
I'm Just Some Guy.
Really.

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Esoteric Myobi on June 11, 2011, 10:07:23 AM
Hurray, our first profile. =) I see that you chose an interested avatar for your loner :P
Yup. Going for a cartoonishly psychopathic look.
Check out my poet tree!

BigBuckBob

Name: Micheal Dodger
Sexuality: Straight
Appearance:

Avatar Appearance: Michael designed himself an avatar based on himself, but a bit idealized. Making it look approximately as he would, if he bothered to hit the gym and eat proper.
Physical Enhancements: Wearing contacts for most of his life, after being mocked for his glasses in younger years, he took the game advantage of improved vision.
Positive Traits:
Kind heart, noble, protective
Negative Traits:
Lazy, introverted, overly trusting
Skills:
Competitive swimmer
Personality:
Kind and happy, he has a good sense of humor once he gets to know someone, or when stuck in a group. However he starts any social situation by hiding in the back and just listening, getting a sens of the group.
Biography:
A bit of an achiever in high school, high grades, star swimmer, solid group of friends. But not an overachiever, he didn't put in extra effort, just enough effort. After going off to college that lack of drive led him to drop swimming and dropped his grades due to his lack of attendance.  He kept going, pushing to complete his bachelors, and then stopped.
Ons/Offs:
scat, pee, m/m
Ons and Offs
Waiting for a Post?
I am disappoinment width you're grammer.

Crovonovin

Name: Mimi Johnson
Sexuality: Homosexual
Base Avatar - Female Avatar - Male Avatar
Physical Enhancements: Enhanced Speed

Positive Traits:

• Unflappable
  • Tactful
  • Supportive

Negative Traits:

• Prone to burying personal problems.
  • Holds grudges.
  • Wounded easily by excessive criticism.

Skills:

• Dancing
  • Organizing
  • Killstealing

Personality:
At a glance, Mimi the picture perfect housewife.  Most personal slights slide off her like water from a duck's back, she's infectiously friendly to everyone she meets, exudes warmth and kindness, and always makes sure dinner is on the table at the appointed hour.  Most people are perfectly content to know only this side of her, taking and taking and taking and giving only complaints or worries in return.  Why bother with a psychiatrist when Mimi is always there to lend an ear?  Can't pick up the kids from school like you promised?  Surely Mimi doesn't have anything better to do!  Get home from work earlier than usual after a hard day without warning?  Mimi will be happy to drop whatever useless thing she's doing and soothe you, and not even bat an eye when you gripe about dinner not being out of the oven yet.

If the only person you ever asked about Mimi was her husband, the most you'd receive is a description better suited to an automaton or a caricature than a human being.

You'd never know, for example, that she once dreamed of being a professional dancer, let alone that she had the talent needed to succeed at it.  The very idea that she once wanted to buy a motorcycle and go cruising across the states--how absurd!  You might wonder why she coerced her husband into getting a high-end computer for "playing Farmville", as he puts it, and never know her love of shooters and roleplaying games.  And of course, you'd never dream of suspecting that her monthly 'Girls' Night Out' was something far more risque than a sewing circle.

Biography:

Born the only daughter of a Chinese executive and his wallflower wife, Mimi found out at a very young age that she was considered nothing more than a tool.  They had expectations, and she had little choice but to meet them.  Her dreams, her flights of fantasy, and her burgeoning curiosities in High School meant absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.  She had been thrown into a cage by her ancestry and was shunted off on rails towards a chosen future as the wife of a rival company's CEO's son to cement an impending merger.  She hadn't been able to coax that essential spark of righteous indignation needed to make her own way, and the fire of independence churning in her gut was quelled until only smoldering coals remained.  So she was married, her goals of attending a prestigious university stripped away for night classes at a local school, and eventually pumped out two little boys for her husband to fawn over.

It was around the time her youngest turned two that she started getting into gaming.  Having heard horror stories of women her age leaving their kids to die in their obsession, she took great care to avoid negligence and balance her schedule carefully.  Being able to relax after a busy afternoon by ventilating whiny sixteen year olds and screaming insults into a mic proved immensely therapeutic, and was probably healthier than the alternative of mixing rat poison into her husband's dinner.  Her reflexes actually proved quite keen, earning her the top spot on several leaderboards and the attention of certain canny individuals with a new system to test...

Esoteric Myobi

Liking the characters so far. Seems everyone's pretty computer/technologically saavy. ;D

Just a few questions for Shihong though.

• Unfortunately, the physical enhancements available are just the basics of improved hearing, strength, agility, concentration, eyesight, etc. However, later on in the game, AIs will be able to give and/or take abilities from players. So Mimi may very well gain the ability of a shapeshifter later in game, or lose whatever physical enhancement she chose to start out with. (Same goes for everyone else.)
  • I noticed that you've listed three avatars. I'm assuming that you'll be using the Base Avatar as your main? Though yes, characters can have more than one avatar if they'd like -- and may switch back and forth at their leisure.

Otherwise, yay for interested players! Hoping to get a full cast of ten (ideally five male and female characters total) before I start the game. :-)

~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~

Crovonovin

That's actually the only reason I chose shapeshifting to begin with, Myobi, as I originally thought we were restricted to only one.  I'll edit that right away.

Glad to be considered for this one!

lore

Name: Nora Flynn
Sexuality: heterosexual
Appearance: Nora is 5'4'' with broad hips, and pale skin spattered in brown freckles. A lifetime of hard training and strict diets have left her with a lean body with wiry muscle and a modestly sized chest. She's raven haired with severe cheekbones, dark eyes and a serious brow.
Avatar Appearance: Nora's avatar is consistent with her actual appearance, she just stylizes herself after her heroine, Amelia Earhart, as seen above: trenchcoats, leather cloves, caps goggles, etc. As an inadvertent side effect of her intentions, her skin took on a smoother appearance, consistent with the old soft focus photos of her heroine. She also did away with all body hair below her neckline, because after years of camping, it seemed something of a luxury not to have to worry about yeti legs.
Physical Enhancements: Enhanced neural capacity (can think and learn faster, remember more)
Positive Traits: Intelligent, disciplined, moral.
Negative Traits: Frank, ignorant of most technologies, slow to trust.
Skills: Survival, firearms, hand to hand combat
Personality: Nora is deeply sarcastic, with an ironic sense of humor. Indulging in wit so dry it went above the heads of most was her only means of maintaining her sanity for many years. She has a sharp, honed memory, but wouldn't be able to navigate an Accessorize to save her life, having been denied access to anything more complex then a digital watch. Though no necessarily friendly, she aspires to be  good person - or a better one at the very least.
Biography: Nora is the daughter of an infamous anti-tech lobbyist and pundit. At best an extremest and at worst a insane militant instigator, Boston Flynn produces some of the most viewed opinion vids on the the planet. Known for his combustive rage and frank expletive riddled delivery, Boston's red, anger contorted face is known worldwide, but the most frightening about the man is the amount of support -financial and otherwise- his 'Back to our Roots' campaign managed to amass. 

Boston used a portion of his ample donations to construct himself an underground bunker at an undisclosed location somewhere in America's midwest. There he housed his wife and children. The latter were raised under strict circumstances: 6am rise, 7am run, 8am protein and carb rich organic breakfast, 9am-2pm traditional education - essentially she and her siblings in a windowless room with her mother in front of a chalkboard. The children were homeschooled on near every subject imaginable, though exclusively from books. 4pm-5pm leisure time, 6pm protein rich organic supper, 7pm-9pm combat and firearm exercises, 10pm retire to bed. Weekends were spent being dragged out into the dessert for "camping" which was truly tantamount to survival training.

There came a point in Nora's life where she began to question her father's doomsday predictions - about when she neared the age of six. There was no reason for her doubt. She and her siblings had been sheltered from outside influences, but she simply couldn't escape the impression he hadn't the slightest what he was talking about. It was a lonely way to be - the only non believer in a world full of devotees. One year bled into the next as she endured the ridiculous regiment of being reared to survive the impending apocalypse. When she reached adulthood, she remained on the family compound, having known little else. he works for her father, mainly balancing books and handling finances.

Everyone, most certainly her father, was shocked to hear she had managed to enter let alone win K-EM console contest. She remains tight lipped about her motives.

Ons/Offs: See mine. Nora's more likely to be on the switch side.

lore

I love how Micheal and Roger turned themselves into beefcakes  :P

Esoteric Myobi

Looks like Nora will make for an interesting character...especially due to her background. ;D Welcome to the game, lore.

~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~

lore

Danke. I like to think of her father as the worst parts of Bill O'Reilly and Glen Back combined and congealed over the centuries, going off about how decadent and laziness-inducing technologies of the world are crippling Americans and lining the pockets of unethical virtual crack peddling tyrants.

I figure some might be a little suspicious of her when a hacker is discovered in game  ;D

Esoteric Myobi

-nodnods-

Well, in this case, I don't know if I'd call K-EM Enterprises an unethical virtual crack peddling tyrant...then again... ;D

Oh and speaking of the hacker, if anyone is interested in taking up the role, please send me a PM saying so. Once we've assembled a full cast, I'll be picking out our hacker. If no one's expressed interest, then it'll be done randomly with a dice roll. And if more than one person has stated they'd like the role, well, that's a dice roll too. xD

~O/O~A/A~Ideas~Cafe~

Crovonovin

I imagine only someone totally paranoid would be the sort to suspect Nora of being the hacker.  From the sound of it her upbringing has been teetering on the edge of the Neo-Luddite ravine, so it'd be a stretch of the imagination to think she'd have those sorts of talents.

...Unless that's what she wants us to think!

lore

Quote...Unless that's what she wants us to think!