8,800 Pennies To Pay A 88 Dollar Fine...

Started by Marguerite, July 30, 2009, 06:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marguerite

A man whose car was towed and made to pay $88 dollars to retrieve his car back wants to pay the fine in 8800 pennies.

8,800 PENNIES!!!
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

Cold Heritage

. . . and to think they're going to take tazers away from the police, instead of broadening the situations under which they can use them.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Marguerite

From the video, pennies are legal tender and are to be accepted as payment. I have no idea if it is true or not but if I were ever angry at a place for jipping me, I would be tempted to try paying them in pennies. Watch out phone companies.

Kurzyk

Those kids were really stupid and had no concept of what its like to be responsible for every cent in a till. Yea pennies are legal tender, but how can the person know that the three boxes of pennies added up to $88? She did the right thing and called her manager who probably said no way at first, then gave in just to cool the situation.

And also, didn't they hear of coinstar change machines? Not to mention that they're lazy and didn't want to have to roll it in a bank.

I bet they did it on purpose as a prank.

Bleh .. kids.

Oniya

Waaaaay back in the day, when I worked at Bradlees (anyone remember Bradlees?) there were occasions when people would come in with rolled coins, or even loose coins to pay for things (frequently boxed sodas, which made me wonder...).  Over in the cash room, which was just behind the cash registers, they actually had one of those coin counting machines.

We were instructed that, if we were confronted with rolled coins or a similar volume of coin, we were to have a supervisor take it up to the window and it was spun through the machines.  We could not accept rolls of coins without opening them - too many cases of someone putting a piece of dowel rod between two proper coins (in case the cashier opened one of the ends).  Once it was spun, the supervisor brought back the paper equivalent for our drawers.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

Hehe, reminds me of Aqua Teen Hunger Force... Carl and his hooker, and between them is a massive water container filled with coins.

"Aww, come on Candy, theres over 200 dollars in there! Oh, I'm sorry, I guess we're NOT in America. I guess I CAN'T pay you for sex, with pennies"

Paladin

Quote from: Kurzyk on July 30, 2009, 06:54:14 PM
Those kids were really stupid and had no concept of what its like to be responsible for every cent in a till. Yea pennies are legal tender, but how can the person know that the three boxes of pennies added up to $88? She did the right thing and called her manager who probably said no way at first, then gave in just to cool the situation.

And also, didn't they hear of coinstar change machines? Not to mention that they're lazy and didn't want to have to roll it in a bank.

I bet they did it on purpose as a prank.

Bleh .. kids.

Yes it was a prank and a damn good one. Still By federal law Penies are legal tender and have to be accepted. The woman and her boss were in the wrong. I mean the kids were friendly about it. Calling the cops was the right thing to do.

Serephino

That was just priceless...  Sure, they were being jackasses about it, but it was still funny. 

Paradox

This is somewhat unrelated, but I cannot express how irritating it is when I find people who throw out their change-- they just toss it in the trash can (it's usually pennies). One of my two jobs involved emptying about 50 wastebaskets on a daily basis, and I find about five dollars in pennies on a yearly basis. That's in one building. Imagine how much money people are throwing away across the United States. It's friggin ridiculous.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Serephino

I keep mine in a little trinket box.  When it gets full I take it to my bank where they have one of those coin counter machines. 

Paradox

I roll mine the old-fashioned way, that was I can take a look at the dates to see if there are any rare ones; for instance, quarters and dimes from before 1965 were made of silver, so they're more valuable. You can find some wheat pennies, and I even found a few steel pennies from during World War 2 when the government required a ton of copper for conduction in their naval vessels.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Oniya

I have a Mercury Dime around here somewhere (fair condition at best, so it's worth maybe 11c).  As it is, I'm saving my normal change in an old tea canister so I can treat myself to some new projects.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Vekseid

Quote from: Marguerite on July 30, 2009, 06:42:09 PM
From the video, pennies are legal tender and are to be accepted as payment. I have no idea if it is true or not but if I were ever angry at a place for jipping me, I would be tempted to try paying them in pennies. Watch out phone companies.

Not necessarily. See:
http://www.treas.gov/education/faq/currency/legal-tender.shtml

Marguerite

Interesting and the officers in the video even had to check their booklet to make sure they could say the pennies were to be accepted.

Caeli

I keep my change in my pockets and empty them when I start chiming while I walk. XD I usually save it to take to the bank after I fill up my bunny bank. The porcelain bunny (I'll take a picture sometime, it's absolutely adorable) was half-filled, once; I emptied it out to count change, and had over $20 saved up over the course of the academic year.

But seriously. 8,800 pennies... yeesh.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Kurzyk

I just cashed in all my change from tips for the last few weeks and made $60.  :D

Kurzyk

Quote from: Vekseid on July 30, 2009, 09:01:11 PM
Not necessarily. See:
http://www.treas.gov/education/faq/currency/legal-tender.shtml

Yes an example of this would be the little newspaper stand guy being asked to take a $100 bill at the beginning of the day to pay for gum.

No way. heh

Inkidu

Pennies are legal tender and they can be used to pay any debts public and private. However, the feelings of the person who had to count all that, are not subject to U.S. currency laws.

He's most likely to be called a "douche".

God bless Coinstar.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Limoncello

God bless coinstar is correct. I would feel the same way as the lady. Who would want to count 8800 pennies. It would suck after the first 1000. Though it was still a funny prank.
Cello Ons and Offs Work in process
Absence  Updated 12/8/2011

Currently accepting rps. Currently updating Ons and Offs. Message me for any ideas you may have or want to try.

Izu

Muhahaha xD My old classmates and I did that xDD We were in 12th grade (last one), the last month before graduation and the school board forced us to gather money for the school to change the windows - like we cared, we were graduating, so they really shouldn't have made us pay for something we weren't going to be using, but in the end the headmaster said 'Either pay or you're not getting your diplomas' and we gathered the money, went to the bank and turned them into a bunch of 1 pennies and we took like ten bags to her office and forced her to count all the 800 dollars :3 It was the best day of my life. xD Hated this woman :x

ONs and OFFs || M/M Search || Izu's A&A
...Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create...

Lilias

I used to work for a major public transport company. We had people repeatedly trying to pull that prank on us - paying a €48 fine in loose change. They lost their smirk when told that there was no coin counter on the premises and they had to go to the fares department, six stations away. Loose change is legal tender, but nobody can force an employee to waste work time counting it out.

On the other end, we had someone come in and complain because he couldn't buy a €0.70 ticket with a €500 note at the start of the day. Go figure.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Paradox

"God bless coinstar"? Are you serious?  They take 8.9% of every dollar (9.8% in Canada). I know 8 or 9 pennies doesn't sound like a lot, but it adds up if you're putting in a lot of money; you'd be better off taking a little extra time to roll them yourself!

Oniya

The ones in banks won't charge you if you already have an account.

Transgirlenstein

But cointstar also trasnfers all your change into Amazon gift certificates if you want them and doesn't take anything from it either.  You get all 100% of your change.  Its great for Christmas time :)
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

Doomsday

I could have done without the douchey narrative but otherwise this was just pure win.