Looking for (probably) the best E-reader for reading. [RESOLVED]

Started by Inkidu, October 21, 2015, 10:08:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

I'm looking for an E-reader and I want one that's:

Easy to read for hours.
Great battery life.
Easy to get e-books for (hopefully not limited to just getting E-books from one source). Possible to read PDFs without much trouble is a bonus.
Largest possible storage (hard drive).

I'm not really looking for something like the Kindle Fire because it seems like a glare-happy tablet.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Lilias

Your options are basically Kindle (ideally Paperwhite), Nook or Kobo. The Kobo is rather isolationist in its sources, though it may be possible to jailbreak it; I don't know any Kobo users, so I can't verify. The Nook reads epub files, the most common out there, but I don't know how its pdf reader is. I've owned a Kindle since 2010 and wouldn't change it for anything. The pdf reader on the 3rd gen isn't much, but between that and the Fire there has been a lot of improvement, so I suspect it is so in later incarnations of the dedicated reader. Storage on the Kindles currently on the market is around 1.5 GB (half of the old 3rd gen), but that still means 1000 ebooks or so before you have to start worrying.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Nico

Inkidu

What's the most recent Kindle. That's the Paperwhite one right?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Lilias

~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Nadir

You can actually convert PDF to .mobi for free if you email your kindle the document with the title "Convert" - make sure you use the @free.kindle.com version of your kindle's email so it doesn't charge you for the service/delivery (I believe that address requires your device to have access to wifi to download instead of the 3G service that it naturally uses)

Thesunmaid

I had a sony reader which I have now changed over for my tablet which I have an e reader app. I had to make them into E pub format so I used this

http://calibre-ebook.com/

Its a free program so if you need to convert a book to some other format. My e reader did not have a convert feature.  So just in case you might need it :)
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: Caught up (holy shit) Current Status for RP:looking for a few

Lilias

~Wendell Berry

Pockets

Actually with Calibre, Lilias, you can convert as many files as you want and you don't have to redownload anything. It just files away the converted book into the same folder as the original book within the Calibre library. The only thing Calibre does not do very well is PDF to .mobi. It will convert it, but when you go to read it there are a lot of spaces between lines.
08/02 - New A/A Update

eBadger

I'd definitely go with a kindle.  I did a few generations of nooks, but they have consistent issues and incompatibility and lag behind the kindle in utility.  Also, unless there's been a lot of change recently, BN seems pretty focused on making it difficult to use other sources of books, while the kindle is pretty easy to sideload (took just a few easy steps to install the nook app on my fire, negating any need for conversion). 

Hard drive size shouldn't be a major consideration.  Paperwhites and e-inks aren't what you'll use for video or images, and books are tiny.  Unless you plan to use the thing as your primary music player, don't stress on this.

e-ink trades visibility during the day for visibility at night, as there's no backlighting.  Not a deal breaker but something to consider.  Picking up a used one on Craigslist for $20 is a great way to have a simple, portable reader, though (I got one for travel and camping so I don't risk anything nice). 

IMHO if you want long battery life, the paperwhite is the way to go.  If you want lots of versatility (and the apps to go with it) choose a fire. 

Kye

I will also recommend a kindle.  I've had both a nook and a kindle and much prefer the later.  I also suggest using Calibre, it's perfect for both easy conversion and organization. 

Inkidu

The Paper White is probably what I'm going to go with. Looks like what I want. If I get a tablet it's going to have more get up and go than a Fire, though I'm sure the Fire is great.

Inkidu

I'd like to thank everyone who offered their suggestions. It was helpful in deciding what I wanted. I got a Kindle Paperwhite. :)

Lilias

~Wendell Berry