On Being Trans in America

Started by Fox Lokison, March 07, 2023, 06:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fox Lokison

Felt like this needed a thread, given the state of things in the US. For sharing and discussing all the current bullshit.

This new spat of anti-trans legislation is both terrifying and exhausting, but as of late, Florida is really outdoing itself. SB254 is an absolutely insane bill.

You can read about it here or the contents of the bill here.

Honestly, I don't see how this can be considered anything but state sponsored kidnapping.

I think what really terrifies me is the rhetoric. I have family who are fully in the mindset of "if a trans person goes into the bathroom with my kids/grandkids, I'll hurt them". The belief that we're a plague, a virus, groomers and the like. I've stopped being a person in the eyes of so many, and started to JUST be trans, and thus, part of a problem. A contagion.

This new angle of attack, the "think of the kids" isn't new, and it's just as insidious and dangerous as last time. It's been such a quick turnaround from "trans people exist and that's okay" to "the far right has had a resurgence and is using trans people as one of their main punching bags and proof of moral degeneracy in this country"

It's absolutely insane and scary how fast things are escalating, and needs a space to be talked about in.

Chaelrishe

I moved from the US to Canada over a decade ago. Watching this horror unfold has been miserable and frightening, even from this small distance. I've signed petitions to the effect of opening Canada to accepting trans people from the US as refugees-- not much, but I do think we need to start. The danger is too great to ignore.

Just know that you are not alone in being afraid of this violent madness, and that there are others who care about you and want you to be safe.

Azy

The unfortunate thing is, this doesn't shock me.  The extreme right has been rallied to make things the way they used to be because progress scares them I guess? 

Missy

Florida is showing MAGA American Neo-Naziism for what it is, say I'm taking it personal if you like, I'm just a topic really.

Censorship and Authoritarian Media Control

QuoteTALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- A Republican lawmaker in Florida wants bloggers who write about elected officials to register with the state, raising concern among First Amendment groups who are calling the proposal unconstitutional.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Missy on March 10, 2023, 07:28:45 PM
Florida is showing MAGA American Neo-Naziism for what it is, say I'm taking it personal if you like, I'm just a topic really.

Censorship and Authoritarian Media Control

And this is why one of my Trans friends fled the state to Chicago. She was literally run out of her job teaching special needs children.

Fox Lokison

Speaking of teaching... This has been happening in my state.

Dad dresses as Julius Caesar at school board meeting to protest teacher’s gender-fluid attire

To the surprise of no one, he has a history of physical and sexual assault, against a woman and a child respectively. He also fired a machine gun at cops in 1985. I'm not exactly feeling like he's a great source, here.

Oniya

I have to admit, I was expecting the senate garb.  Also not sure how an aluminum six-pack is intended to connect with the topic of gender-fluidity at all.  (No, no - not the one he left in the pickup.  The one he had sculpted.)  There's no 'confusion' in what I think he intended to be a ridiculous argument:  'I'm a man, dressing like an idealized man, and I expect no one would believe me if I said I was a woman.' - No, sir.  You are asserting your gender identity, just as it appears the teacher is doing. 

I also have to say that personal experience connects 'Roman military garb' with egocentrism in my mind, so I'm not surprised at his past record.  'Laws?  We are crossing the Rubicon!'

Also, word of warning:  The link about Concord School District launching an investigation leads to a story about a completely unrelated incident in Ontario, Canada.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Clio

I'm unsure of the rules about posting links here, but I want to say that the ACLU is on the front lines fighting these things, so if you feel helpless (like I do), there are petitions, senators/representatives to write to, and you can donate to the ACLU. My cousin was going to get top surgery in Miami a while ago, but due to the state of Florida (probably not far behind Tennessee) right now, he has decided to wait. He is scared, and understandably so.
Signature by the amazing Amaris.

GloomCookie

It's the same bullshit as back in the 80's with the Satanic Panic just fueled by pearl-clutching idiots who put more sugar packets in their sweet tea than they have braincells in their head.

I'm gender-fluid enough I can still present as masculine when I need to, because holy fuck the paperwork, but yeah I know places here in Arkansas where idiots would 100% do shit like start a fight with someone over which bathroom they use. Why the hell are people caught up so much about relieving normal human bodily functions? Oh, right, because they're worried that a transgender person will make their child do the unthinkable and question sexuality. Pearl-clutching intensifies.

I'm conservative on a lot of issues but oh my God. The amount of hypocrisy and idiocy from the idiots in charge makes me depressed sometimes. Just let people go take a piss! If you're so scared your kid might ask questions, then why the hell are you their parent? Oh, right, because Camilla, the Latina babysitter had to take off work because her child is sick and you have to step up to the plate for 5 minutes and now you're trying to understand this tiny person you vaguely remember posting about on Facebook 5 years ago and only update when they do something special now is asking you questions you don't want to answer because you were taught sex was a forbidden topic and should never be discussed by your own morally repressed parents.

The number of posts I see promoting violence and hate has skyrocketed in the past few months, and I can't help but feel it's only a matter of time before we get another Orlando nightclub shooting by some sexually repressed dude being told that gay and trans people are abominations and that God told him so and to send them to Hell. Then, just like school shootings, we'll get a ton of copy-cat killers with gun calibers bigger than their dicks trying to one-up each other.

What I find annoying is when you have all these hypocrites who jump up on a soap box end up slipping off when it comes to light they're the ones in the bathroom in drag soliciting people for gay sex. They're so scared someone will kink-shame them that they double down on the lie and try to ban the very thing they're into just because they're ashamed. "Oh no, my constituents will boot me out of office if they find out I like taking it up the ass by a big burly black dude." Like, bro, who hasn't wanted Martin to take you up the ass? Martin's a cool dude and always cuddles after. But like, I find the guy dressing as Julius Caesar to be hilarious because do you have any idea how gay the ancient world was??? Bro, Spartan women used to dress as men to make it easier for their husbands to transition to heterosexual life so they could have kids. Oh, look, women having to cross-dress! Bet no one learned that one in high school history class.

I know I keep going on about being gay but it's the same struggle. Idiots will continue to believe that it's their "right" to protect kids against transgender when they're the ones feeling threatened. Most kids aren't nearly as worried about what you present as because they're not worried about it. Literally it doesn't even cross their mind that it's a problem because every kid at some point has played dress up. But sure, use kids as a shield because it's easier than telling everyone that deep down you envy anyone so open about themselves they're willing to do and dress how they want.
My DeviantArt

Ons and Offs Updated 9 October 2022

TheGlyphstone

The Julius Caesar guy is extra hilarious because Caesar specifically was known for preferring to be on the bottom in his gay relationships and seen as weak because of this.

Fox Lokison

Julius Caesar got shut down as he's not a Dover resident, nor does his child go to that school.

Predictably he left yelling that everyone was a hater and the board had an agenda. I remain unsurprised.

Clio

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 16, 2023, 07:16:08 AM
The Julius Caesar guy is extra hilarious because Caesar specifically was known for preferring to be on the bottom in his gay relationships and seen as weak because of this.

Oh if any of them actually studied history more than a 2 minute YouTube video, their minds would be blown. But then again, I have been accused of working for “Big History.” Not joking. Just like with protesting, if I’m supposedly working for someone, please give me my check.
Signature by the amazing Amaris.

AcademicCuriosity9110

The shenanigans Kentucky pulled to pass SB150 are ... A travesty, to say the least. It's a brutal trans your care ban.

They announced the session on it over the lunch break, with mics off and six minutes warning. They wanted to vote on it with no Democrats present. That's the gist of it.

My request thread!

A/A thread Started/updated 02-22-23

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: AcademicCuriosity9110 on March 17, 2023, 01:39:11 PM
The shenanigans Kentucky pulled to pass SB150 are ... A travesty, to say the least. It's a brutal trans your care ban.

They announced the session on it over the lunch break, with mics off and six minutes warning. They wanted to vote on it with no Democrats present. That's the gist of it.

Holy shit that is shady.

AcademicCuriosity9110

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on March 18, 2023, 06:53:37 PM
Holy shit that is shady.
Yup.

But there's hope. Beshear will probably veto, it goes back to the legislature, they override it, it gets taken to the Kentucky Supreme Court, they cite precedent (they nixed an abortion ban apparently because medical privacy stuff in the Kentucky Constitution) and kill it there.

My request thread!

A/A thread Started/updated 02-22-23