What's in the News? 2.0

Started by Tolvo, January 16, 2019, 05:34:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tolvo

There's often three responses as well when such issues are pointed out. 1: Completely ignore and pretend that isn't true. 2: Say that yes the law would exclude them but obviously people would know when someone is a "real" woman/man. 3: Go all in saying that people who can't give birth are considered male.

Skynet

Quote from: Tolvo on January 24, 2019, 10:41:10 PM
There's often three responses as well when such issues are pointed out. 1: Completely ignore and pretend that isn't true. 2: Say that yes the law would exclude them but obviously people would know when someone is a "real" woman/man. 3: Go all in saying that people who can't give birth are considered male.

I figure a lot of them are Todd Akin types who live in an environment where they just don't interact with women much or never knew of women who suffered reproductive problems and such. Miscarriages, abortions, etc are things which are swept under the rug to uphold the perception of some rosy pure society.

Tolvo

Well considering a lot of them are British feminists, I'm not quite sure.

Lustful Bride

Sasquatch421

Authorities have found the body of a man who rode his motorcycle over Lake Maskenthine.

http://newschannelnebraska.com/local-news/body-of-missing-stanton-man-recovered/

Tolvo

Content warning ahead for rape and pedophilia.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/03/bryan-singers-accusers-speak-out/580462/

New allegations(There are older ones) have surfaced accusing Bryan Singer the director of Bohemian Rhapsody of rape. Many of the accusations are from people who were underage at the time and this was part of a 12 month investigation into him by journalists at Esquire who had to publish their findings in The Atlantic because higher ups nuked it.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/bryan-singer-keep-red-sonja-directing-gig-new-accusers-speak-1178785

He is still slated to direct Red Sonja and those he works for have been defending them. He's also accused those investigating him of being homophobes but these are still public allegations made by victims that they're reporting on. As well those defending them seem to often bring up his success as a director for why they are defending him, which is honestly pretty blatant to just admit it's because he makes them money.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/zmavd4/will-hollywood-listen-to-glaads-bold-stand-against-bryan-singer

Brain May from Queen defended him at first but apologized for doing so after backlash. GLAAD and various organizations have rescinded their own considerations for awards for Singer in solidarity with victims of sexual assault and abuse. Singer also has a recorded history with this like in his 2nd film as it mentions where there was a scene where underage boys were made to strip naked for filming. the kids and their parents tried to sue but the case was settled for a sum and confidentiality was enforced.

Lustful Bride

It hurts me to think that something like this has happened :( Far Right groups protest during ceremony at Auschwitz.

https://news.yahoo.com/far-protest-during-auschwitz-camp-liberation-commemoration-173404257.html

Lustful Bride

hmm, im not sure how to feel on this. It actually sounds like it might be good, or at least that's how the article presents it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/high-schoolers-get-face-time-with-extremists-in-class/ar-BBSNlDt?ocid=spartandhp

Tolvo

It seems incredibly dangerous. They shouldn't invite hate group members into a classroom. Said people are very dangerous, and can end up painting students as targets. And it is going to impact students more who are a target of said groups. If I was taking a class and a part of it was having people who violently want to murder come into class I wouldn't take the class. It seems like it would be better to show video of the arguments or have someone present the arguments(If they can even be called arguments) to the students for discussion. Teaching people about radicalization is important and teaching them about how to dismantle arguments based in hatred is important, but you shouldn't put them in physical danger like this. And from some of the descriptions it sounds like it is normalizing and creating tolerance for bigoted views.

Lustful Bride

Hmm....you know What I think your right. It has good ideas but this is the wrong way to go about it.

Skynet

Quote from: Tolvo on January 28, 2019, 07:11:18 AM
It seems incredibly dangerous. They shouldn't invite hate group members into a classroom. Said people are very dangerous, and can end up painting students as targets. And it is going to impact students more who are a target of said groups. If I was taking a class and a part of it was having people who violently want to murder come into class I wouldn't take the class. It seems like it would be better to show video of the arguments or have someone present the arguments(If they can even be called arguments) to the students for discussion. Teaching people about radicalization is important and teaching them about how to dismantle arguments based in hatred is important, but you shouldn't put them in physical danger like this. And from some of the descriptions it sounds like it is normalizing and creating tolerance for bigoted views.

Even without immediate physical danger, a lot of the most successful hate groups don't come out screeching for genocide. People like Stefan Molyneux, if they had such an opportunity, will prepackage their arguments in a candy coating of "it's horrible that black people have lower IQs than whites but we need to acknowledge statistics"* or "why is there massive immigration of non-caucasian people only going to majority-white countries?"**

It's easier to gish gallop and spout of 5 falsehoods with no sources or research, and a lot more time to individually break down falsehoods which even a lot of educated adults may not be equipped for. Unless the class does something similar to what Tolvo suggested, or stops the hatemonger's speech so that the teacher can look up every claim on the Internet and counter it, this risks allowing propaganda to spread unchallenged.

*an abuse of statistics which deliberately ignores the cultural and economic backgrounds which can lead to IQ differences and thus leaves the "racial difference" part dangling on its own, thus to paint a picture that intelligence and race are inexorably connected.

**also a falsehood: many Gulf Arab countries have many South Asian immigrants for labor, the majority-Uyghur Xinjiang Province in China has an increasing number of Han Chinese immigrants, and quite a few Caribbean Island nations. The claim is to suggest that there's a world-wide conspiracy to overrun white-majority countries with foreigners, or that the only countries worth living in are white ones.

Tolvo

Well it does mention the students are supposed to research every argument that could come up, and I hope the teacher is able to recognize hatred falsely masquerading as "Just asking questions" or "Supported by statistics." But I suppose we don't have details for that aspect entirely. As I mentioned it sounded like some students were coming out of it feeling closer to the hate groups being brought in and understanding their point of view but these aren't people who just have a different viewpoint, this included Neo Nazis organizations and the KKK. They're not people you want to be closer to and have around more. And if the teacher isn't explaining to them all the tricks of the trade and how hate groups and hateful people hide all of their messages and hatred in seemingly polite conversation, it's an even bigger problem. It would effectively be inviting hate groups to school to try to persuade students to sympathize with and possibly join them, which is just astonishingly awful.

AmberStarfire

Tolvo

Pretty much be skeptical of a cure for anything without broad conclusive testing with large sample sizes and multiple data sets. Especially for something like cancer. Even animal testing is highly inconclusive for things while animals can give us an idea having something work on a pig or rat is incredibly different from it working on a human.

Lustful Bride

Oniya

Considering that cancer is the loss of the 'stop dividing already!' mechanism, I have a hard time figuring out how they could limit any remedy to the specific cells that are a problem, without affecting the division (and therefore healing) mechanism in other cells.  Even tightly targeted treatments affect some other cells.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Tolvo

Hypothetically it would involve setting it up so there is an upper limit on the rate at which cells divide. And somehow delivering that to every cell in the body or finding some way for it to spread between cells. But even if you somehow managed to do that it would be capable of mutation and could cause a number of serious problems. It's a part of why "Cures for cancer" are frustrating because it's like saying "We found the cure for beheadings!" You have to prevent every way something can happen and every source of it and maintain something that prevents those things from being present or happening. Especially for something like cancer that is not rare and can just happen in a person without lots of outside factors or observable factors causing it. Since a person can avoid all known cancerous things and through random chance still get cancer, you need a way to actually prevent all humans from having the cells divide as they do. Which is possible hypothetically but could very well be practically impossible. And if it is possible given time that method of "cure" could mutate into something else and cause a whole slew of issues.

TheGlyphstone

Tolvo

Usually there is an SMBC for something, a bit like Simpsons but more so science and philosophy.

Another phrasing that is annoying is "A world without cancer in our life time!" There are two ways to accomplish this. 1: Destruction of all life. if no biological creatures exist then there's no cancer. 2: Rewrite the DNA of every creature that can get cancer to not allow cancer, this has to be in every cell of every living thing in the world. And cancer could just develop again as a new mutation.

Tbh a lot of concepts with this phrase are annoying. Like when people say we will have or live in "A post racism world." What? That's not possible unless we live in a world with only one race, or individuality doesn't exist and the one brain wave allowed isn't racist. People aren't naturally racist, but anyone can be racist. Same goes for any bias or prejudice. You can't remove things that can develop in anyone from the world without destroying all life capable of developing it.

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lustful Bride

Tolvo

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/01/empire-star-jussie-smollett-brutally-attacked-anti-gay-trump-supporters-put-noose-around-neck/

Jussie Smollett from Empire has been attacked in a hate crime based on his sexuality and race. TMZ has reported on this and police have released a public statement. Though be a bit careful about certain details, while I'd believe Trump Supporters would do this and that the police wouldn't mention it but I haven't seen a public statement from Jussie yet that they did say Trump slogans. But he definitely was attacked and called slurs and had a noose wrapped around his neck.

Callie Del Noire

https://www.thurrott.com/cloud/social/198649/apple-bans-distribution-of-facebooks-internal-apps

As an (Vendored) employee of Apple, I’m very aware of how interested Apple is in privacy and security but had you told me this would happen I would have expected it so early.