Main Menu

Anime

Started by Null, December 15, 2013, 10:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sethren

I need to finish Attack On Titan

But man the gore lmao.

So much.
                           I am accepting quilt commissions right now to make ends meet.

Shekinah

Quote from: Sethren on February 09, 2023, 08:50:08 PM
I need to finish Attack On Titan

But man the gore lmao.

So much.

That's why I dropped it, I'm already not that into gore and that show was just to much of it.

Why don’t we drink to me and my reflection in your lovely eyes?

My O/O's
Have you taken care of yourself today?

Sethren

Quote from: Shekinah on February 11, 2023, 02:29:13 PM
That's why I dropped it, I'm already not that into gore and that show was just to much of it.

It was even starting to be too much for me and that's a feat. LOL
                           I am accepting quilt commissions right now to make ends meet.

Nkaar

Quote from: Kakihara on January 04, 2023, 10:57:46 PM
I watched the first episode and it didn't draw me in.  I'll probably give it a second shot here later.  It's kind of like 'The Eminence in Shadow' for me. Everyone was praising it but watching the first episode, it didn't draw me in.  I'll probably try pushing through to watch the second ep at least as I guess that one is a slow build to understand it.

I actually tried Eminence in Shadow. The joke requires too much suspension of disbelief, and even if you manage that, it is not that funny. Not to mention the setting is derivative of a lot of other isekai that have come out lately. The MC is an unrelatable nutjob, his harem (because of course) are totally flat as characters. It's wish-fulfillment for JRPG otakus, which I am not, so...

Nkaar

Did manage to find a new hidden gem though: Ningen Fushin no Boukensha-tachi ga Sekai wo Sukuu you desu

Kakihara

Quote from: Nkaar on March 14, 2023, 04:38:11 AM
Did manage to find a new hidden gem though: Ningen Fushin no Boukensha-tachi ga Sekai wo Sukuu you desu
Oh yes, I've been watching this one and have found it quite interesting, it's one of the few of the winter season stuff that I'm really enjoying.  That and the second season of In/Spectre are my favorite of the season, though the second season is not as good as the first sadly as no thruline early on.  The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Young Lady is maybe just under these as the characters are interesting and it's at least a slightly different take on Isekai compared to others.  Reborn to Master the Blade: From Hero-King to Extraordinary Squire is interesting but not as good as I was hoping, like it's enjoyable but man the previews made me hope for a little bit something more, like a more bad ass female protagonist that isn't too trope-y.

And Handyman Saitou in another world is kind of my guilty pleasure, it's not reinventing the wheel or anything but it's a nice little story and it's full of some very interesting characters.  So far have been one of those ones I just like to watch on release.  Tomo-chan Is a Girl! probably falls into that same category.  I was expecting a little more from this series but overall I do like the characters and everything, especially the circle of friends. 

Haruki

Quote from: Nkaar on March 14, 2023, 04:38:11 AM

The animation for that one is quite off in spots, but it's a story & character-driven narrative, so I've stuck around for that.

It's been ages since I poked into this thread.  As of late, I've been keeping up with Tomo-chan is a Girl!, and doing a big rewatch of Maison Ikkoku, one of my favorite romance anime.  The latter is older (from the 1980s) but that's part of its charm to me.  Tomo-chan is part of the whole HS slice of life romance thing that I usually don't gravitate to anymore, but I've found it enjoyable.....especially the support characters Carol and Misuzu.

I also recently as of last night, wrapped up Season 1 of Reincarnated as a Sword.  Fran is so adorable.  Protect that little catgirl.  I loved some of the sword's (Teacher's) lines as well.  Can't wait for the 2nd season, which has already been announced.

I'll elaborate on other things I've watched and enjoyed the last few years at a later time.  I need to catch up on what others are watching here.
Always Seeking New Players!!
Want to write with me?  Please see the following below:
=====
My Introduction
O/Os & Lists -- Thread | Profile | Character Profiles | Canon Cravings
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====
Eep!! Who's Yanking Me Away by the Ponytail?! (A&As)

Shekinah

For those who love romantic stories I would like to put my vote out there for Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai

It's a short show, only 12 episodes but it has everything you expect from a rom com. There is laughter, there is drama and there is sweetness.
It's also very nicely animated and I feel the voice actors were chosen perfectly for their roles.

I'm a sucker for Rom coms and while yeah I also love to more popular Clannad/Clannad AS, Toradora, Usagi Drop, etc, somehow I can't help but feel this one deserves more praise then it's getting.

My O/O's

Haruki

Couple huge announcements from Anime Japan 2023 already!

Spy x Family movie is a go this coming December!

Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation S2 gets underway this July.

I am looking forward to both!
=====
My Introduction
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====

Flower

Quote from: Haruki on March 25, 2023, 10:17:22 PM

Spy x Family movie is a go this coming December!

so exciting!

persephone325

My boyfriend is trying to find anime that I'll enjoy. He says I'm hard to read. lol

We just finished watching Another, which I really liked until the end "twist" reveal. Now, we're watching Shiki and I'm pretty into it.

Though so far, nothing has been able to keep me as enraptured as Rising of the Shield Hero. GOD, I love that one so much!
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Shekinah

Quote from: persephone325 on March 30, 2023, 04:24:14 AM
My boyfriend is trying to find anime that I'll enjoy. He says I'm hard to read. lol

We just finished watching Another, which I really liked until the end "twist" reveal. Now, we're watching Shiki and I'm pretty into it.

Though so far, nothing has been able to keep me as enraptured as Rising of the Shield Hero. GOD, I love that one so much!

Well Rising of the Shield Hero some similar I think off: Overlord, Log Horizon, That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, So I'm a spider so what?, Kono Suba, Danmachi, Tower of Druaga, Arifureta, Re:Zero
Though no idea what you have seen in the past and what sort you actually looking for.

My O/O's

Nkaar

Quote from: Shekinah on March 30, 2023, 11:16:12 AM
Well Rising of the Shield Hero some similar I think off: Overlord, Log Horizon, That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, So I'm a spider so what?, Kono Suba, Danmachi, Tower of Druaga, Arifureta, Re:Zero
Though no idea what you have seen in the past and what sort you actually looking for.

Sorry, but that is just a list of isekais. Arifureta is actually just a (very) bad copy of Shield Hero, and Overlord and Konosuba are parodies of the isekai genre. Shield Hero's draw is that it is not merely a power fantasy for gaming addicts, but has fully developed characters and that is what makes it different from the rest of isekai. Danmachi is the only thing on that list that is somewhat similar to Shield Hero.

persephone325

Quote from: Shekinah on March 30, 2023, 11:16:12 AM

That's fair. We watched a few episodes of Overlord and I remember liking it. Re: Zero was interesting but I felt annoyed with the main character guy getting really obsessed with the first girl he met, basically. But that's just my opinion about it. I thought the two maid characters were much more interesting than her. Though it has been a while since I've seen it. I might rewatch it and see if I have a different opinion. Boyfriend watched the second season without me and said he didn't like it very much because it left out (in his words) "a ton of stuff from the manga". He's been watching anime much longer than I have, so I trust his judgment. lol

Quote from: Nkaar on March 30, 2023, 12:13:27 PM
Sorry, but that is just a list of isekais. Arifureta is actually just a (very) bad copy of Shield Hero, and Overlord and Konosuba are parodies of the isekai genre. Shield Hero's draw is that it is not merely a power fantasy for gaming addicts, but has fully developed characters and that is what makes it different from the rest of isekai. Danmachi is the only thing on that list that is somewhat similar to Shield Hero.

Danmachi sounds familiar. I think the boyfriend might have mentioned it in a list of anime he thought I might like. I'll have to bring it up to him and see if it rings any bells.
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Kakihara

Quote from: persephone325 on March 30, 2023, 09:04:52 PM
That's fair. We watched a few episodes of Overlord and I remember liking it. Re: Zero was interesting but I felt annoyed with the main character guy getting really obsessed with the first girl he met, basically. But that's just my opinion about it. I thought the two maid characters were much more interesting than her. Though it has been a while since I've seen it. I might rewatch it and see if I have a different opinion. Boyfriend watched the second season without me and said he didn't like it very much because it left out (in his words) "a ton of stuff from the manga". He's been watching anime much longer than I have, so I trust his judgment. lol

Danmachi sounds familiar. I think the boyfriend might have mentioned it in a list of anime he thought I might like. I'll have to bring it up to him and see if it rings any bells.
Re:Zero is very tough to get into for me as well because of the main character.  It does get better but honestly, not enough for me.  Overlord is very good and they just have added a fourth season. 

A great different type anime if you aren't into the normal Japanese centered animes I might suggest is Ancient Magus Bride.  It has fantastic worldbuilding and is set in a mystical Great Brittan.  The characters and the world are so complex, even the side tales that are told are freaking heartwrenching and heartwarming at times.  I was never huge into anime until My Dress Up Darling which kind of dragged me into a recent obsession with it so if you want a more simple romance type one, I can't help but recommend that one.  If you want some blood and guts, Goblin Slayer.  Man, so damn good.  But it is very bloody and very mature but it's kind of like a fantasy world Mandalorian as he never takes off his helmet. 

Haruki

Quote from: Kakihara on March 31, 2023, 07:04:27 AM
......Ancient Magus Bride.  It has fantastic worldbuilding and is set in a mystical Great Brittan.  The characters and the world are so complex, even the side tales that are told are freaking heartwrenching and heartwarming at times.

Eagerly awaiting Season 2 to get underway real soon...it starts next week in fact, if I'm not mistaken.  That one's another recent favorite of mine.  No hesitation recommending Ancient Magus' Bride to anyone who likes that sort of low-key magic/fantasy type of thing.  It's heavily based on Western mythos, especially of the English/Celtic sort.....you don't see such things explored in a more Eastern-rooted medium such as Japanese anime (and the series' source manga), all too often, so it's really something special.
=====
My Introduction
=====

persephone325

Quote from: Kakihara on March 31, 2023, 07:04:27 AM
Re:Zero is very tough to get into for me as well because of the main character.  It does get better but honestly, not enough for me.  Overlord is very good and they just have added a fourth season. 

A great different type anime if you aren't into the normal Japanese centered animes I might suggest is Ancient Magus Bride.  It has fantastic worldbuilding and is set in a mystical Great Brittan.  The characters and the world are so complex, even the side tales that are told are freaking heartwrenching and heartwarming at times.  I was never huge into anime until My Dress Up Darling which kind of dragged me into a recent obsession with it so if you want a more simple romance type one, I can't help but recommend that one.  If you want some blood and guts, Goblin Slayer.  Man, so damn good.  But it is very bloody and very mature but it's kind of like a fantasy world Mandalorian as he never takes off his helmet. 

My friend said she loved Ancient Magus Bride, and it made her cry. lol My Dress Up Darling actually looks really cute! I like wholesome romance too when I'm not obsessing over horror-themed anime. XD I've also heard a lot about Goblin Slayer. I think my boyfriend said he watched that and liked it. If I remember right, he said the relationship between the main character and the girl character is a little similar to Naofumi and Raphtalia from Shield Hero. But I could totally be misremembering that.

* persephone325 totally sometimes mixes up Goblin Slayer and Demon Slayer...

XD XD
I don't know.

Flower

Agreed. I really enjoyed Ancient Magnus Bride. ❣️

Kakihara

Quote from: persephone325 on March 31, 2023, 04:09:01 PM
My friend said she loved Ancient Magus Bride, and it made her cry. lol My Dress Up Darling actually looks really cute! I like wholesome romance too when I'm not obsessing over horror-themed anime. XD I've also heard a lot about Goblin Slayer. I think my boyfriend said he watched that and liked it. If I remember right, he said the relationship between the main character and the girl character is a little similar to Naofumi and Raphtalia from Shield Hero. But I could totally be misremembering that.

* persephone325 totally sometimes mixes up Goblin Slayer and Demon Slayer...

XD XD
Yeah, you are probably thinking of Demon Slayer, which is also good, I quite enjoyed it even before Dress Up Darling dragged me into my anime obsession.  Now Goblin Slayer is similar to Shield Hero as it was controversial for it's first episode much like Shield Hero.  LOL  But the main character is more driven and focus and disconnected from life compared to Naofumi and the main girl that travels with him kind of draws him into a more social world.  I would say that Goblin Slayer is very mature as the idea is the gods play dice with the people's lives for entertainment so it's a brutal world, especially the first episode is really brutal as it sets the tone of the world. 

Quote from: Haruki on March 31, 2023, 03:28:50 PM
Eagerly awaiting Season 2 to get underway real soon...it starts next week in fact, if I'm not mistaken.  That one's another recent favorite of mine.  No hesitation recommending Ancient Magus' Bride to anyone who likes that sort of low-key magic/fantasy type of thing.  It's heavily based on Western mythos, especially of the English/Celtic sort.....you don't see such things explored in a more Eastern-rooted medium such as Japanese anime (and the series' source manga), all too often, so it's really something special.
Yep, season 2 finally comes out next week I believe.  I can only imagine those who found the anime on release must have thougth this would never come.  I only finally watched it a little bit ago.

Haruki

I, like I'm sure most others who were following it this past Winter season, put a bow on Tomo-chan is a Girl! after what looks like a successful 13-episode (1 cour) adaption.  I'm usually not one who takes on more modern Slice of Life stories set during the characters' highschool days.....I have Horimiya sitting in my queue awaiting a watch, and ReLife on my shelf also awaiting a watch, and while this didn't knock my socks off getting me to stand up, point and say "This is the absolute best SoL anime, full stop!", it was a well-executed take for the genre.  I watched this in its English Dub, which was a rare instance of a same-day drop as the Japanese, and to my ears, it's a keeper.

So for anyone here who also watched this one, what are your thoughts?

Now I just have to put a close on Maison Ikkoku.  I'm up through the 70th episode.  By ep 72, I'll be 3/4 of the way to the big finish.  That show's a long one, and a slow-burn, but the payoff is worth it.  Someone needs to rescue this series, get it out on BluRay and on streaming platforms.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Kakihara

I quite liked Tomo-chan is a Girl! and thought it was a well done show with a good thru line with an interesting concept, as I don't think the more masculine women concept gets enough play in any forum.  I think the two main characters were well written and they introduced some very wonderful secondary characters that were, in my opinion, more complex than the main couple.  Which I think helped hold the attention for me as their journey's were just as interesting.  I would argue the best SoL anime since it is far too... animated and pushes the bounds of realistic, which is to be expected in anime.  I still think My Dress Up Darling just slightly edges out in my book as the best SoL anime for me, at least when it comes to the main characters journey.  I do wish that they had put the complexity of the side characters relationships a bit more into the main characters. 

I feel like Tomo-chan suffered from what Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru, My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU, suffered from for me, an unsatisfying resolution.  I can't place my finger on why as easily as I can with SNAFU, but there was something about it that just left me feeling like it was a bit of a cop out.  Not sure.  It was still one of my favorites of the Winter season but to be honest the winter season was pretty bloody sparse with good shows it feels, or ones that could continue on since a lot of shows got delayed or rebooted due to COVID issues over in the Japanese Studio.  I didn't watch the English dub myself as it's a rare I'm willing to wait two or three months for the English dub to be broadcast. lol

Haruki

I put a wrap on Maison Ikkoku early this morning.  It had been since 2006 when I first gave this a full watch.  96 episodes and a bunch of misunderstandings, mishaps and mis-steps later, it was such a satisfying conclusion.  I stand by my opinion of that series being one of the best in a slice-of-life drama/romance.  You don't see a truly complete story with a full start and full stop all that often anymore in this world where a title now lives or dies cour-by-cour off of merch and source manga/LN sales.  While I feel some arcs do drag a bit especially in the middle, and could have easily been truncated, there's no doubt that if Maison Ikkoku were made today, it would have been heavily cut down to fit at best a 24-26 episode run, destroying the story and the big payoff at the end.....it wouldn't feel as satisfying.

Also have a few other anime I am wrapping up.  Ningen Fushin, and By The Grace of the Gods S2, the former which I believe had its final English dub episode drop yesterday, and Ningen's should drop tomorrow.  Ningen Fushin has good ideas being put forth, but its execution of some events just feels off.  And the animation is noticeably bad in spots......laughably so.  By the Grace of the Gods S2, while still staying true to its wholesome roots planted with the first season, seemed to move at more of a snail's pace this 2nd time around.  I just hope that doesn't destroy its chances of possibly landing a 3rd season.  It was just a slower story arc, which was going to happen no matter what.  I just love these warm fuzzy slices of wholesomeness.

With the Spring season now getting underway, my attention will be on The Ancient Magus' Bride S2.  I'm waiting for its English Dub to get underway, because I enjoyed the first season so much in that format, so I'll be doing a quick rewatch of the first season and OAVs prior.  I have other backlog anime to take on as well.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Kakihara

Started watching the Spring season as I finish out some of the Winter ones I didn't get pulled into hard enough.  Man, I waited a week to watch Hell's Paradise and, holy crap, MAPPA must really know how to pick them.  The first episode is so good with such interesting characters and such an interesting concept.  And they give the animation it's own unique look, it doesn't blend in with the other recent hits they have done.  The first episode is so good but definitely not one I'm going to binge watch as just wanna digest each ep, though now I'm one ep behind because of my delay. 

There are a number of interesting ones though a lot of similar isekai as well so giving them more time before I form an opinion.  I will say My Clueless First Friend is very cute and amusing.  Like certainly not breaking any bounds but it's more like watching Pui Pui Molecar, just meant to be cute and amusing I feel.  I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World and Became Unrivaled in The Real World, Too is a bit too nerd wish fulfilment fantasy Isekai but I do like how they linked the two worlds much like Saving 80,000 Gold in Another World for my Retirement did last season.  The Café Terrace and Its Goddesses is interesting, has a very The Quintessential Quintuplets vibe so if that was your thing, may really like this one. A Galaxy Next Door.... I'm not sure what to make of this one yet. lol

Still haven't watched the new season of Ancient Magus Bride even though been dying for it, need to dive into it here this week.

Andol

Newest Demon Slayer season 3... Episode 1 be lookin lit... :D

Shekinah

The one's I'll be following this spring:

KONOSUBA -An Explosion on This Wonderful World!: just because it's dumb fun and fantasy mixed together.
The Ancient Magus’ Bride Season 2: It's one of the best, if not the best manga's and anime's I've ever seen. It's up there on my list of all time best with Clannad (+AS), Aria & Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan (know as Samurai X: Trust & betrayal). 
Vinland Saga 2: As the first one really was a surprise and I really enjoyed it.
A Galaxy next door & The Cafe Terrace and Its Goddesses: Because I feel these are the typical rom com's I'm a sucker for and get all emotional in and end up loving them bcz of it.

My O/O's