News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Black Lagoon Anime RPG

Started by Daril, April 22, 2016, 12:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daril

A while back I tried to make a RPG based on the action anime Black Lagoon.  That attempt didn't really get off the ground, but I figured it might be worth giving the idea another try.

This RPG will follow the crew of one of Roanapur's "delivery boats," the ex-Soviet Navy P6 "Lucky Strike" (yeah, it's another old torpedo boat -I thought about going with a different type of vessel but I'm not that knowledgeable about boats) under its new Captain Luu My Lien.  My Lien and her boat have something of an unlucky/cursed reputation, so my plan is for the crew to be struggling a bit at the start of the RPG.

Player wise, I'm looking for players who can post relatively frequently (I'd say ideally daily, but I think I might have trouble managing that myself.)

Character wise, I want characters whose presence aboard a "delivery boat" makes sense.  In the past I've received applications for characters that were cool, but didn't really make a lot of sense as smugglers/pirates.  Assassins, medics etc would probably do better earning money on shore.

I could use at least one experienced crew member who can act as My Lien's second (maybe its a friend or someone who owes her enough to put up with working on an unlucky boat).  I also wouldn't mind a cute "wrench wench" type to act as the boat's mechanic (actually the initial storyline for the previous RPG involved how a kidnapped girl whom the crew "rescued" ended up as the boat's mechanic). Otherwise, nautical experience is a plus, but My Lien is probably willing to train for people she thinks have potential.  She values quick wits and good nerves in potential crew members.

Here's the character profile template, as well as a sample profile using My Lien.  Feel free to bounce ideas off me before coming up with a profile -in fact, I'd actually appreciate it if you did things that way as I like to catch potential problems before applicants put a lot of work into their applications.

[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Nationality:[/b]
[b]Sexual Orientation:[/b]
[b]Biography:[/b] Please keep this relatively short and simple, a few paragraphs maximum.
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b] Please include a short text description.  I do not recommend the use of pictures for this particular RPG.  (Even I ended up using pictures that didn't entirely fit in the previous RPG.)
[b]Weapon(s) of choice:[/b] In general I'd suggest each character have a personal sidearm and a semi personal submachine gun or other weapon suitable for raiding ships.  Keep in mind that the series is set in South East Asia circa 1995, and that our characters are smugglers/pirates, not special forces.  I can provide suggestions if people want them.
[b]Combat Abilities:[/b]

Sample Profile

Name: Luu My Lien
Nationality: Vietnamese
Sexual Orientation: Lesbian (or possibly bisexual)
Biography:  My Lien is the daughter of a former Republic of Vietnam Navy sailor.  She came to Roanapur with her parents in 1975 following the fall of South Vietnam.  Her mother died shortly after their arrival in the city.  Since My Lien was still too young to take care of herself, her father ended up taking her with him aboard the "delivery boat" he had found work on.  This was only supposed to be a temporary arrangement, but her father was killed during a job just a few years later.  By that point My Lien had learned enough and grown enough to be considered at least somewhat useful and was allowed to stay on as a crewmember (albeit one who was not paid as well as her elders).  She continued to learn more about the "delivery boat" trade and eventually ended up switching crews and boats more than once. 
My Lien's current boat is the ex Soviet Navy P6 Torpedo Boat "Lucky Strike."  Despite its name, the Lucky Strike is not considered a very lucky boat.  During one of its deliveries, the boat was seized by armed men who killed everyone aboard except for My Lien, who was below decks and managed to use her knowledge of the craft's layout to hide from the boarders.  She then waited for an opportunity and liberated the Lucky Strike from its captors, killing several of them with the boat's weaponry in the process.  She then single handedly navigated the boat back to Roanapur.  This feat earned her a mixed reputation, with some seeing her as a capable survivor and others as an opportunistic coward who abandoned her comrades.  The latter reputation -combined with the Lucky Strike being viewed as an unlucky boat- have made her efforts to establish a new crew (with herself as captain) rather difficult.
Personality: Because of her background, My Lien is quite ruthless and can come across as a bit cold and harsh.  On the job, she had a very no nonsense attitude and is willing to back up her authority with lethal force when necessary.  Despite her reputation, she is willing to recognize and even reward the actions of crewmembers who take initiative when the situation warrants it.
Appearance: My Lien is a rather slight young woman about 156 centimeters (5'1) in height.  She has medium length black hair and a copper complexion and is considered rather pretty for a smuggler/pirate.  She is frequently seen wearing a red bandana on her head.
Weapon(s) of choice: S&W "Military and Police" Revolvers, Beretta Model 12 Submachine Gun
Combat Abilities: While she has no formal training, My Lien has been using firearms since a young age and is an experienced gunslinger.  She is particularly proficient in quick draw and point shooting techniques and does well in close quarters situations that require fast reactions.  While she generally avoids dual wielding she is quite a good shot with her off hand.

Any questions so far?

Vonandi

I'm interested in the premise  but I've never watched/read Black Lagoon. Is that OK or would you prefer people who have at least seen it?

Rel Mayer

So Black Lagoon is like my favorite anime.

I... I can't promise for 100% sure I have time to play, but this has definitely peeked my interest!

Daril

Quote from: Ithnuul on April 22, 2016, 11:08:53 AM
I'm interested in the premise  but I've never watched/read Black Lagoon. Is that OK or would you prefer people who have at least seen it?

While this RPG doesn't really concentrate on the canon characters, I do think players should be familiar with the series.  Sorry, but I feel it could get kind of awkward if they aren't.

KnowThySire

It's been a minute since I've watched the show, but it's good enough for me to have a blu-ray copy. I'd definitely be down for this. My mind's already churning with ideas.
There can only be one king.

Sessha

Name: Alex
Nationality: American
Sexual Orientation: bi
Biography:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Alex herself was if there ever was such a term as "Born with a gun in hand." it would be applied to her. Alex her whole life growing up proved how much she loved guns. She began at young age with shooting BB and pellet guns at the snakes in the backyard of her family's home in rural Iowa. The back end of her family's house butted against a creek. It was a prime breeding ground for the critters and she aimed to do some civic duty. So when she was old enough she took her pellet rifle and set up a shooting post in her backyard. She proved to have a keen eye at nailing the little buggers.

When she got into her teens Alex changed her targets and guns. For sweet sixteen birthday party her mom and dad gave her a Remington Model 700 chambered in 30.06 caliber and a membership to the NRA. To say she was overjoyed was an understatement. This opened up her world so much more than it had before. She became quite the hunter as well. Her best kill ever was bagging two stags with one bullet. The shot lined up so perfectly she had to take it. She saw both dear reach up for the salt lick as she began to squeeze the trigger. The rifle jumped in her hands when she fired. However both dear dropped like a couple of sacks of potatoes. When the found they gathered the two bucks, the bullet had passed through the eyeball of one dear, out the other eye into the eyeball of the second deer before exiting the other eye and hitting the tree behind them.

As she entered her senior year of high school Alex got the chance to attend an NRA "gun camp" so to speak. It really opened her eyes to what you could do with guns. During this gun camp she got the chance to try her hand at other types of firearms. Namely she got the chance to shoot several assault rifles, sub-machine guns and a variety of pistols. She proved adept at handling both assault rifles and pistols. The sub-machine guns while nice had a bit too much kick and muzzle climb for her tastes. This camp would prove a turning point in her life as well. Her love of automatic weapons.

It would seem that her and the NRA would have an interesting run-ins with turning points in her life. The second one came during a swamp hunt in southeast Louisiana. At the camp she was staying at with several of the other NRA members she was hunting with had an unexpected dinner guest. One of the members was standing too close to the water when out of no where a gator came rushing up on land after him. Before she could even think Alex has drawn her pistol, a Glock 17 9mm and began firing at the gator. She watched the rounds themselves bounce off the gator's hide with no effect. After empting the whole magazine at the critter one of the other hunters leveled an old 1903 Springfield rifle at the critter and emptied all five rounds into the animal killing it dead. After the other person was life lighted to a nearby hospital for injuries the game warden and police took a statements, after all it was a critter attack but it was a clear case of self defense. The experience did leave it's mark on her. While the 9mm might have been good for some things it was not the end all be all round she had been led to believe. The large caliber of the rifle was what put the critter down, not any of the thirty something rounds her and one other person put into it.

The second thing that set her life on the path it would end up taking was in high school she went to join the JROTC. Like many of the people who joined them she stuck with it all four years of high school. Rifle team, PT team and Orienteering team were the things that stirred her passions. She also joined with a number of other students who caught the fever of joining up, but she didn't want to join the army she wanted the marines. It was just after her graduation that the marines themselves began accepting women into their ranks. Here would end up being her most traumatic experience ever.

After getting involved in the marines themselves and into basic she began to show herself as a prominent marksman and shooter. She began to even out distance many of her male counter-parts. She was physically driven to make something of herself. Marine Corp training began to have the effect on her of making a soldier out of her. During several events between the services and genders she outdid many of them and this earned her the ire of several of male counter-parts. Some of them decided to take matters into their own hands. This would set Alex on her path with Roanpar.

During a night maneuvers exercise a month Alex was jumped by a number of the other marines who she had humiliated during the competition the previous month. They pinned her to the ground and held her down, stripped her naked and then began to rape her repeatedly. When they had finished with her they left her staked out on the field till she was found half dead the next day by another group of soldiers. She languished in a hospital for a week before a board of inquiry was arraigned to hear the charges. However the case was handled off the books and for the most part it ended up coming down to her knowing who her rapists were but the law had ended up failing her and failing her hard. All of the men who had raped her went off scott free and she was left to be thought of as a troublemaker. So she resigned and left and since the military only taking only her marine K-bar with her. Since the military would not do justice she herself would see justice done. They had escaped justice from the law but they would not escape her.

A few weeks after she left the military the first one of the men she had accused of raping suddenly turned up dead, a bullet in his head and his genitals had been severed and stuffed in his mouth. This sent shockwaves through the group themselves. They began to get scared but in the end it came to nothing for them. Each one of the men who had raped her ended up sharing the same fate. It didn't take the cops long to figure out who was taking them out. Unfortunately for them so to did Alex. She had made several friends over the years and they got her in touch with people who allowed her to slip out of the country.

After she left the US, a wanted woman she found work for herself in a PMC working out of Southern Africa called Executive Outcome. After submitting her application she was hired by them as they were looking for people with her skill set. It didn't take her long to settle into life working for the PMC. Then the orders came down they were being shipped out to Sierra Leone to aid the government in suppressing rebel groups in the area. The fighting there would prove an eye-opener for her. The people she fought were worse than animals and wanted nothing more than complete power themselves. The atrocities they committed hardened Alex's heart. After on particular incident she gave up on ever using a weapon with a smaller caliber round.

Her fortunes seemed to come to a head when the UN took notice of the effectiveness of PMCs in combating area forces and they forced a scale back of the EO's budget. Which suited Alex just fine. Despite her military background training she had come to find some small measure of peace as a gun for hire. She still set her own terms for who she worked for but a trained gun for hire was good commodity and most were willing to put up with some of her "eccentricities." because she knew how to use a gun very well. After EO cut her last paycheck she skipped a ride out of Southern Africa as it seemed the US government was getting a little too nosey for her liking on who she was. She had heard from a friend that there was a city in Southeast Asia that she could make a living peddling her skills and people didn't ask too many question.. A city called Roanapur.

After she arrived in the city she found it a bit distasteful at first but then she fell into the rythum of the city. She acted as a bodyguard and all around thug for a few different cartels, the most notable among them were the Triads, Colombian and Italian mafia groups. However after one of the men in the cartel made a pass at her and almost tried to force himself on her did she finally have enough. She promptly taught him the error of his ways. Even to this day he still can't get it up with a woman after Alex. Then again radical castration does interesting things to the human body. It was then she was tipped off to someone who was looking to hire a new crew for a ship. She was an independent and she liked that idea. So Alex sought her out offered her services to be hired.

Personality: Much like others in Roanapur Alex has become hardened to life far from the white alabaster cities of the western world. She'll shoot dead anyone who she deems worthy of the bullet and it doesn't matter who they are. She also has no love towards rapists either. After all having been raped repeatedly while in the military and nearly raped a few times afterwards have made her part of the woman she was today. She's generally easy going for the most part but doesn't liked to be crossed
Appearance:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Weapon(s) of choice: G3A3(with optional 30 round magazine), Glock 20 (chambered chamber for 10mm autolock), Marine K-bar
Combat Abilities: Alex in addition to formal military training from the marines she is also an excellent shooter having been gifted with being able to use them well since she was at young age. Events after her disillusionment with the Marine Corp. her travels led her into locations where she picked up about knife fighting and in basic self defense.
Locked, cocked and ready to rock!

Lady Ren

Name: Sonya Wei
Nationality: Cantonese(HongKong)/American
Sexual Orientation: Hetrosexual
Biography: Spent a majority of her childhood in the State of California, but moved back to Hong Kong sometime to avoid persecution of Orients being associated with Communism. In Hong Kong she became complacent with becoming another economics major student, while simultaneously taking up Tai Chi. She first took up Tai Chi after her grand parents, but later found in the streets of Mongkok, there were street forms where Tai Chi was used more aggressively. And often used in illegal fight matches often hosted by the Triads. At first it was used as a outlet for her frustration with her path in life made out for her by the system, but then it became a dangerous gambling habit where she lost big. She got arrested later, only to be intercepted by the Triads who were attempting to rescue one of their own, by pure luck alone, they also agreed to let her escape and even help smuggle her onto a ship to one of their man, Mr. Chang, and help her get settle to her new home.
Personality: She has always kept a calm demeanor. She learned quickly from her time in the United States that language was double sided in meaning and it was easy to learn how to lie when you're telling the truth, or where you can imply a truth to willing audience. When she saw how Orientals like her and how even mixed bloods like hers were persecuted, she grew a bit more angry, even jaded how quickly people can be from being kind faces to twisted disgusted outrage in seconds. It gave her a cynical outlook, and she took care to hide that frustration because even she saw how distasteful it was to her and the people around her. But the fights helped her take the edge off, she found a way to let out her ugly side and not be shunned by it. It even helped her develop a morbid sense of humor.
Appearance: 5'6 in height, athletic build, B cup, black ink lotus flower on her sternum, brown eyes, black hair at mid-back length (often tied into a feathered bun with a hair needle), dresses like business woman (when on formal duty), but most days she wears loose red summer blouse that's see through enough to show off her purple bikini top, and black sports pants low on her hips to show off the lower bikini strings on her.
Weapon(s) of choice: Emei Ci
Combat Abilities: She's trained in martial arts, specifically with weapons, plus some improvised street fighting
It's not always about a right answer, its about asking the right question.

Now Here's a Story

KnowThySire

Wait, we're putting up profiles already?

*quickly gets to work on his own*

Daril

So Lady Ren and I had some discussions about her character Sonya and how she might end up rolling with the Lucky Strike's crew.  We were thinking that rather than being rescued by Mr Chang, she might have been trying to escape Hong Kong on a smuggling boat that the Lucky Strike was hired to intercept (because it was intruding on someone else's smuggling route).  What do you guys think?

Sessha

I think it might not be a bad idea.

Daril

Not seeing all that much activity here.  Who is still in on this apart from Sessha?

KnowThySire

I'm into it, but I've been so busy moving these past two weeks that ai have yet to really sit down for this one. If enough people are playing, I'll pick up my pace.

Deathnote

I've only seen up to the episodes featuring the twins.  Is that enough to be familiar with the setting?

I'm more familiar with Jormungand, which seems to have the same kind of style and setting as Black Lagoon.

Daril

@TheRomanticPerv -One warning: I'm not planning on the crew being all that big.  Unless something splits off there's only room for so many characters.

@Deathnote -If you've seen the first season and part of the second that's probably good enough.

KnowThySire

How big did you envision it?

Sessha

I don't know about how big it's going to be but I do know one thing, I have my own plans for what I'm doing with Alex on this one. Even if she has to pay exorbitant prices she will be getting a particular handgun chambered in a particular round.

Daril

Six is about as high as I'd want to go, and I'd actually like to start off smaller than that.

KnowThySire

Well, if it's just the three of us that are confirmed, you'll have your wish. I'd rather at least make the full six before I confirm.