What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemingway

I-I'm not really into comics. I like graphic novels and such, but ... there's just too much stuff floating around out there, and most of it I don't find terribly entertaining!

Capone

Quote from: Hemingway on November 29, 2011, 07:28:38 AM
I-I'm not really into comics. I like graphic novels and such, but ... there's just too much stuff floating around out there, and most of it I don't find terribly entertaining!

Truth told, the best translation of Batman has always been the Animated Series. It hasn't aged perfectly, it's got a few bad joints and needs to watch it's blood pressure, but otherwise it's still a lean mean fighting machine of entertainment. Batman Beyond isn't necessarily considered "canon" in the comics, I think. I dunno. But it's a GREAT spin-off that needed at least one or two more seasons.

If it helps, the man writing Arkham Asylum and Arkham City was one of the lead writers of the Animated Series, so while AA and AC are grittier and more violent, the feel is consistent.

Hemingway

"Clones? That would make sense!"
"What!?"
"No, not sense ... nevermind!"

Geeklet

So, I just got done with Assassins Creed: Revelations.

You know, for a game called "revelations" it didnt really reveal much of anything.

Hemingway

Revelations, isn't that just another one of those generic subtitles? Like Resurrection, Armageddon, Apocalypse, and so on?  ;D

Sabby

Don't forget Redemption, Reloaded, Rearmed, Renegade, Reckoning... flogging the letter R so hard Mortal Kombat is cringing as it jams its 3 foot spiked strap on up the letter K.

Nadir

Having a bit of a cool down from super high graphics and playing some Open TTD. Probably going to go back to Minecraft, too, or maybe Terraria for the new patch.

Hemingway

I thought Saint's Row: The Third was pretty sweet and awesome hilarious. I had no idea. The mayor of Steelport is...

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Burt Reynolds. No, no, I don't mean the actor playing the mayor of Steelport is Burt Reynolds. I mean the mayor of Steelport is Burt Reynolds.

Andalon

Currently playing:

360: Mass Effect 2 (have to because my live account got hacked and deleted, so all my achievements and saves are gone :( ), Assassin's Creed, AC:R, Space Marine, Gears of War 3 on Insane, Army of Two: The 40th Day, Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days, Test Drive Unlimited 2

PC: WoW, Far Cry 2, The Witcher 2, NWN2, VtM: Bloodlines

PS3: GT5, Tekken 6, Final Fantasy XIII, God of War Anthology

PS2: Final Fantasy X

PS1: Final Fantasy VII

Laptop: Torchlight

Seems like I'm a gamer... oh well, I can live with that. My bank account can not, especially as my new car is inbound around this weekend.

Bayushi

Currently playing:
World of Warcraft
Torchlight
Magicka
and
Sanctum

Soon to be playing:
Star Wars The Old Republic

Inkidu

I wish Steelport were a little more different than Stillwater, and that the game didn't lock you out of your garage or heliport when you were actually going to do a mission, leaving you to jack a random car. Those are relatively small gripes, and it was a pretty good fourth quarter for gaming. Next year ME3, the console port of The Witcher 2, and Bioshock Infinite. I'm a little wary of the last one. Yes, it was a different studio, but the stain remains in my book, because it's not necessarily the story of Bioshock 2 that miffed me, it was the loss in radical bad-ass new gameplay that got passed over for good old reliable.

Any game can go down that road, so we'll see what we shall see, Irrational. 
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

I'm actually sort of dreading the release of Mass Effect 3. I don't want my favorite series of games ever to end.

I also don't really look forward to having to play through ME and ME2 again to get a Liara romance playthrough. I should also do a ME and ME2 Tali playthrough. I mean, I fell in love with Tali in ME2, but I didn't import my save, so ...

Wolfy

Quote from: Akiko on December 07, 2011, 04:29:19 PM
Currently playing:
World of Warcraft
Torchlight
Magicka
and
Sanctum

Soon to be playing:
Star Wars The Old Republic

@_@ We must make character's on the same server. o3o

Oniya

I think there's a thread for that in 'On Topic' (you know, where your personal info won't be all out in the public and all.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on December 08, 2011, 04:30:55 PM
I'm actually sort of dreading the release of Mass Effect 3. I don't want my favorite series of games ever to end.

I also don't really look forward to having to play through ME and ME2 again to get a Liara romance playthrough. I should also do a ME and ME2 Tali playthrough. I mean, I fell in love with Tali in ME2, but I didn't import my save, so ...
I'm eager to reach the final concluding adventures of Commander [Redacted] "Bad-ass Boyscout" Shepard for ME3. Heck, maybe the events of three will actually break the hero. Let's see first game romanced Liara, and the second game was Jack after Samara went all of nowhere.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on December 09, 2011, 11:51:30 PM
I'm eager to reach the final concluding adventures of Commander [Redacted] "Bad-ass Boyscout" Shepard for ME3. Heck, maybe the events of three will actually break the hero. Let's see first game romanced Liara, and the second game was Jack after Samara went all of nowhere.

Break Shepard. Yeah, right.

Hm. I do wonder if we'll get to see Tali's face, though.

Edit: Wait, WHAT? Tricia Helfer voiced EDI? Damn ... you think I can romance EDI?

Andalon

Maybe you could, if you'd be able to play Legion. "Let's fuse our CPUs baby!"

I just finished playing with GIMP ( the program, not the other kind of gimp... get your minds out of the gutter, tsh  :P ), and after a few hours of work, I think I did not a bad job.

Capone

Egh, I wasn't too impressed with Mass Effect 2. It was fun, but in truth it only made me worry about Dragon Age 2, which turned out to be worry well deserved. DA2 turned out lame.

I've been playing Mario Kart 7. Have only been doing 50cc stuff, so can't say much about it, but otherwise it's good stuff.

Inkidu

Quote from: Capone on December 10, 2011, 08:39:51 PM
Egh, I wasn't too impressed with Mass Effect 2. It was fun, but in truth it only made me worry about Dragon Age 2, which turned out to be worry well deserved. DA2 turned out lame.

I've been playing Mario Kart 7. Have only been doing 50cc stuff, so can't say much about it, but otherwise it's good stuff.
I thought Dragon Age 2 was great. The only bad thing they did was reuse environments. I played 2 more than I ever did Origins, and I think it's the better game. :\

Not saying ME3 couldn't suck, the odds just aren't there.

Capone

Eh, I still need to beat DA2, but the very fact that it has massive jumps in time where gameplay could have been pisses me off. Basically, if they actually bothered to develop the entire game, it could have been great.

But part of my love for the first DA were the different character origins. Simply releasing that automatically makes it a lesser game to me.

Hemingway

Actually, I think the time skipping was one of the best choices they could've made, as far as telling a story goes. Too often the stories feel like they take place over the course of a few days, and things happen remarkably fast. Also, it's not like the story wasn't long enough to begin with. I think it took me around 25 hours to get through the game the first time.

Also, Isabela. Characters in general, too, but mainly Isabela. I just liked them more than the characters in Origins. And I think Hawke is a much more interesting character to play than an anonymous Grey Warden. I know a lot of people don't agree with me there, but that's my preference, anyway. I think the Mass Effect style of character creation is better, because creating your own character from scratch just gives you a weaker character with less personality. It's not like I ever played Origins as anything but a human noble, anyway. Well, I did do a Dalish elf, I guess, but ... I only ever beat the game as a human noble. I also think DA2 has a better story overall. It's just more interesting to me than IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD AND ONLY YOU CAN SAVE US.

Which is ironically what Mass Effect is. Literally. But Mass Effect gets away by virtue of Shepard's manliness. And Miranda's ass.

Capone

I didn't mind that my character couldn't speak, so I never found my Grey Warden to be without character. Though I beat the game as a Dwarf first, then an Elf second, so my backgrounds weren't the human ones.

I dunno. I really liked Alistair and Leliana, though those are the two that stick in my mind the most. Mass Effect does have a tendency to have a more memorable secondary cast of characters itself, though.

Maybe it depends on some sorts of personal preference. I DO need to beat DA2, though. It's on my list of things to do.

Hemingway

Leliana is my favorite character from Origins, mainly for her accent, and the fact she's batshit insane. Okay, okay, so that may not actually be a fact, but come on. She hears voices. Says it's the Maker.

And I do think it is preference. For me, one of the most important things in a game, especially in an RPG, is a solid cast of characters. It's probably more important than the story itself.

That's why my favorite game of the year was the Witcher 2.

Capone

I don't play many computer games, and I feel picky about my Western RPG's. So far, I might be most partial to Alpha Protocol and thus Obsidian, and is also the main reason I actually bothered purchasing Fallout New Vegas despite my hatred for all things Bethesda.

I think, for this year, I might have to put my vote towards Catherine. The game had everything. Solid gameplay, great story, and innovation. It was literally like nothing I've ever played before, and it was a Hell of a lot of fun to boot. Any game with that much creativity gets my vote for best in show.

Hemingway

I'm just waiting for Obsidian to make a better Elder Scrolls game. New Vegas was miles better than Fallout 3 ( itself a good game ), so ... I mean, it probably won't happen, but that'd be great!