"Google Ad Service" on certain mobile devices...

Started by Twisted Crow, November 08, 2018, 12:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twisted Crow

Pretend you are in an emergency. A killer is chasing you with a knife, you lose him temporarily but need to call the police on your phone.

You click the button to turn on your screen and before anything can happen... your phone is trying to get you to book a cruise all around the Caribbean.

So... glossing over how dumb this is and all of the ways I could rant about this... here is my question:

Can I somehow kill this stupidity on my phone? ::)

Vekseid

That's uh. Suspicious. Neither my Note nor my Nexus ever do anything like that. So something is monetizing you.

What is your phone, exactly? Is it one you got through your service provider?

Twisted Crow

Its a Galaxy S6, Sprint. Not sure if it is a weird update or what. I don't really download things on this device. :/

Hmmm. I will look into this further.

Lexandria

It's a sprint thing. When I had a phone with sprint I had weird ads too. The minute I switched, that was all done with.

Vekseid

Lexandria

Quote from: Vekseid on November 09, 2018, 02:58:59 AM
It would still be an app on your phone though.

-nodnod- I figured. The phone I had gotten from Sprint came with a lot of 'sprint' apps that, when I tried to delete them, gave some warning about them being essential to the phone. I always thought it must come from one of them, but couldn't figure out which app it was.

Sara Nilsson

should be fixed by deleted the "Featured apps" app. If memory serves.