[Dragonsong] High Fantasy Adventure - Dragons & Riders - (Closed)

Started by Wispyr, July 05, 2016, 11:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elysian Radiance

Quote from: Thorne on July 10, 2016, 02:39:27 PM
The things I miss on gaming weekends...

Weapons of Legacy, yes. I do have that book, somewhere. Downstairs, probably. >..>
Anyway, I was mostly wondering because I happen to like that model of item enchantment in general; over the 'doohickey of enhancement bonus' model that is so common. Not just because a player has to work to unlock the potential of the item, either, be it weapon, cloak or boots or whatever.
.. this didn't get answered, and it might prove important. :/
Yes, there will be weapons of legacy throughout the game.

No, there is no physical transference so her being drunk doesn't mean dragon is drunk too. However, yes, you can get a dragon drunk but it's going to take several barrels of something if they're in draconic form.
"We are beings of starlight; we were meant to thrive in the darkness."
"I am a raging sea trapped inside of a raindrop."

<a href=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=200656.0>Fantastic Dragons and Where to Find Them! (05/30/17)</a>
Get Laid or Get Slayed - A Guide to Make the Dragoness Roar!
Muse/Mood Status ~ I'm currently on hiatus from Elliquiy. Send me a PM if you need to be in contact; I'll get the email about it.
Current Posting Output ~ None.
Buy RPG Dice Soap From Me!

Amarlo

Seduce my mind and my body will follow.
Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Cataclysmic Archangel

Elysian Radiance

<a href=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=200656.0>Fantastic Dragons and Where to Find Them! (05/30/17)</a>
Muse/Mood Status ~ I'm currently on hiatus from Elliquiy. Send me a PM if you need to be in contact; I'll get the email about it.

Amarlo

Seduce my mind and my body will follow.
Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Thorne

Quote from: Elysian Radiance on July 10, 2016, 02:43:25 PM
Yes, there will be weapons of legacy throughout the game.

No, there is no physical transference so her being drunk doesn't mean dragon is drunk too. However, yes, you can get a dragon drunk but it's going to take several barrels of something if they're in draconic form.

On the italicized bit, specifically; I didn't expect that to be an issue. Seems I wasn't clear, sorry. >.<
What I meant was, does an altered state effect the function of the link itself. Does it still work? Is it fuzzy/obscured on either end? Are there substances that can shut it down entirely for short periods of time? Either naturally occurring, or possible via alchemy or some other magic of chemistry... >.>
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Cataclysmic Archangel

Quote from: Thorne on July 10, 2016, 03:03:23 PM
Are there substances that can shut it down entirely for short periods of time? Either naturally occurring, or possible via alchemy or some other magic of chemistry... >.>

This is of vital importance to Ryn and Ava, so I think it's safe to say no.

Elysian Radiance

Quote from: Thorne on July 10, 2016, 03:03:23 PM
On the italicized bit, specifically; I didn't expect that to be an issue. Seems I wasn't clear, sorry. >.<
What I meant was, does an altered state effect the function of the link itself. Does it still work? Is it fuzzy/obscured on either end? Are there substances that can shut it down entirely for short periods of time? Either naturally occurring, or possible via alchemy or some other magic of chemistry... >.>
None that are known. That doesn't mean that such things do not potentially exist.

GM ANNOUNCEMENT!
The OOC thread can be found HERE. Please take all further chatter and questions there. <3

Thorne

Quote from: Elysian Radiance on July 10, 2016, 03:09:45 PM
None that are known. That doesn't mean that such things do not potentially exist.

Hm. Interesting. Also, good to know. Thank you.

Quote from: Arcannyx on July 10, 2016, 03:04:37 PM
This is of vital importance to Ryn and Ava, so I think it's safe to say no.

Looks like you have a plot hook. Nothing wrong with that. ^^;
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

PrincelyPup

She ended her post with "for phi"  so I said six......

Flower

Do our characters need to be approved before we post there?

Wispyr

Quote from: Flower on July 10, 2016, 03:33:24 PM
Do our characters need to be approved before we post there?
No. Unlike most of my games... I just want us to stop flooding the recruitment boards -Chuckles- Essentially everyone here should be to go with varying degrees of discussion with the GM(s), so everyone is free to come play around.

la dame en noir

Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Wispyr

GM Announcement
Dragonsong Mechanical Update

After discussion with those here who decided to chime in with their opinions on the matter, we have decided that due to the amount of support and amiability to the idea of including some sort of system in the game that we're going to update the back end mechanical section of this game so that it can be launched and played the way that it was originally intended to be played. Before we get into the specifics of what this update includes, what it changes and how it works we want to address a couple of things. First we want to apologize for the gear shifting here; we originally proposed this game as free form, and are now back tracking over that - we hope that you understand we're making this choice for what we believe will be the best for this games health and success through the themes and stories we've got planned for everyone. While we would be saddened to see you go, we understand that a change like this can be jarring and off putting to some; if that's your intent a simple PM to the GM(s) stating your intent to leave the game would be greatly appreciated - no elaboration on your choice is needed. If because a player chooses to leave someone is left partnerless we will address that very quickly (we do have some other writers who are interested in getting into the game, so hope is not lost!) so don't panic - we have you covered, and we'll work with you to take care of it. The next big thing that we want to address is the concern some have had about a system dominating the game - as was discussed before, the entire point of adding this system is to allow for consistent, flowing narrative. The major issue with free form is discrepancy in power - every person is going to have their own interpretation on what something means, and when you have 26 people with 5-10 powers each there is a metric ton of interpretation to be had. This creates issues between what one players thinks their character can do vs what another player thinks that character can do vs what the Game Masters think the character can do - we want to avoid this. The system we're introducing will require very little effort on the part of the players. You will not be: Rolling dice, doing math, worrying about mechanics vrs available actions. The system is here to compliment and support fun, flowing writing - not interfere with it.

With all of that said I am going to detail the system that will be used below. We are always available for questions, but because this system was designed to be used behind the scenes we're confident that everyone should be able very easily slip into what's being added and then never see it again. This change will require a minor update to the character sheet, which will be posted below.

Stat Expansion
The first step of this system is to expand the current stats (Aethyr & Might) to something a bit more defined. The purpose of this is two fold; the first benefit that expanding on the stats has is creating a more clear understanding of each characters strengths and weaknesses as a person and allowing each character to feel different the others around them on a level that isn't just because I said so or because well we act differently. Diversity is the spice of life, after all (or something like that). Second it allows us to put emphasis on powers so everyone who is magic focused isn't just blanket good at everything, and the same with martial focused characters - and this is arguably the bigger issue of the two. Finally, because it deserves a little nod, it gives the GM(s) the ability to clearly tailor events to allow particular individuals to shine while challenging others and from a story telling perspective this is massively important.

This stat expansion includes five new stats that you will be responsible for assigning. These stats will be used to compliment the previous two stats (Aethyr & Might), as well as their new counterpart.

Strength: A characters general physical strength. A factor in physical damage (unarmed and melee weapons), as well as physical damage resistance.
Agility: A characters general coordination and dexterity. A factor in physical damage (ranged & finesse based weapons) as well as general accuracy.
Stamina: A characters general health and endurance. A factor in defensive magic as well as character health.
Intellect: A characters general mental strength. A factor in magical damage as well as mental resistance.
Charisma: A characters general social strength. A factor in healing magic as well as mana.

In addition to these six new stats you have three meta-stats, two of which will be familiar to you and one that is new.

Might: A representation of a characters training and prowess with martial forms of combat. This plays a large part in physical damage and technique damage - as well as determining outcomes when in martial contests with others.
Aethyr: A representation of a characters training and prowess with magical forms of combat. This plays a large part in magical damage and healing - as well as determining outcomes when in magical contests with others.
Charm: A representation of a characters training and prowess with social forms of combat. This plays a large part in social circumstances, manipulation and determining outcomes when engaged in attempting to sway opinions, negotiating or bartering.

As was discussed elsewhere it's important to note here that stats are not a replacement for narrative and writing. A character with a higher strength score does not automatically over power anyone with a lower score - it's only a representation that they have an edge in that confrontation. Stats can never completely account for who a character is and the stats presented are meant to be guidelines, not rules - a character with a low 'charisma' need not be socially inept, they just aren't as masterful in social situations as someone with a high 'charisma', and the same logic can be applied to any of the stats.

Health & Mana
When we get right down to it Health is the big reason for a system. Health lets us put perspective and scope to damage that is inflicted through combat. It allows us to have a easily understood measurement of the power of spells, abilities and attacks and this is important from a consistency and balance stand point. This lets us make sure that everyone is roughly in the same place - or at the very least comfortable with where they are at. Further the most important note is that it removes the varied interpretation that free form brings with it. In many ways all other things being added tie back to this one thing, because this is what prevents abuse, random power gaming and one person from ending up forever in the spot light. There was always going to be some sort of health system in play, however how it worked was a matter of serious debate. The one added for this game will let us capture the epic conflicts that are filled with magic on both sides more appropriately. Previously we were using a vague 'energy drain' notion that was monitored by players, but we're making it even easier on you by taking that off your plate as well by introducing Mana a resource spent upon casting spells.

Health: Is a raw representation of how much damage a character can take before being rendered unconscious or, in the most extreme cases, dead. All characters start with a base of 100 Health, which is modified by racial selection and the Stamina stat. Health naturally regenerates very slowly and only after rest - the amount is determined by your racial selection and Stamina stat. Interaction, and tracking of Health is handled purely by the GM(s).
Mana: Is a raw representation of the amount of magical energy a character is able to manipulate before becoming to exhausted to continue slinging magic around. All characters start with a base of 50 Mana, which is modified by racial selection and the Charisma state. Mana regeneration happens only during periods where it is not being used, and periods of rest greatly increase its regeneration. Interaction, and tracking of Mana is handled purely by the GM(s).

One thing we want to address about Mana in specific is that you will never need to do math. We will be working with a overload mentality in mind. What that means is that so long as your character has even 1 point of mana left they can cast any spell that they know, which will put them into negatives. This will have consequences of course, as overloading ones body is a risky move but an available option - the degree of consequence will be determined by a number of things: how negative they went, their Aethyr stat, and circumstance to name a few.

Spells & Cycles
If Health is the biggest reason to include a system, spells are the second. The point of introducing the system is so that each character can have things they are good at, while not being universally skilled in everything ever. It's also to allow people perspective into how their powers interact with the game world and others so they never feel like they are being underwhelming - unless they have written themselves that way. We wanted to create a system that accomplished all of these things but added very little work to you as players; in order to facilitate this spell creation is going to happen much the same way we proposed originally - you will still create your powers and submit them to us for approval; at which point the GM(s) take your idea and run it through the mold we want to all powers to be in, format it to the system and then we will represent it to you and work with you to tailor it to become exactly what you're looking to create. What this means, in short, is that aside from slightly longer discussions with us (how terrible, I know!) how you create your powers is not changing at all.

First we're going to touch on the damage types we'll be accounting for in Dragonsong - this is something that is mostly for reference, but should be kept in mind whilst creating powers. The forms of damage we will be accommodating are: Physical, Electric, Cold, Fire, Earth, Air, and Force. All things that do damage in the game will fall into one (or more in some cases) of these categories, but no others. As some non-traditional examples: Poison damage will be counted as Earth based damage, Sonic damage will be counted as Physical based damage. In cases of other non-traditional damage types we will make a determination about what falls where.

Second we are going to break spells up into one of five schools, and as players you should be able to pretty easily determine where your spells fall, but this is one of those things that the GM(s) will take care of for you when we format spells. The spell examples below are fictitious and are not accurate number representations, only examples of spells that fall into what category.

Direct Damage: Direct damage spells is any spell that is meant to be used as a weapon of sorts. Direct Damage spells are empowered by Intellect and Aethyr.
  • Firebolt - Conjure and fire a small missile of flames that explodes on contact for 30 points of fire damage.
  • Cone of Cold - Create a frigid cyclone that is smaller near its point of origin and grows wider the further it travels that inflicts 10 points of cold damage to all targets within its range.
  • Chain Lightning - Fire a bolt of jumping lightning that hits its first target and then jumps to up to 3 near by targets, inflicting 20 damage to the first target and then 5 less to each subsequent target.
Healing: Healing spells are spells that in some way restore health to a target or remove negative status. Healing spells are empowered by Charisma and Aethyr.
  • Heal - Instantly restore 40 points of health to the target.
  • Renew - Apply a healing energy to a target that heals them for 8 health every cycle for the next 10 cycles.
  • Pulsing Light - Instantly heal the target for 20 health and then an additional 5 health every cycle for the next 6 cycles.
Protection: Protection spells are spells that are meant to reduce incoming damage, block attacks or ward people / areas. They are empowered by Stamina and Aethyr.
  • Shield - Create a magical shield that absorbs the next 15 points of damage you would take, lasts up to 3 cycles.
  • Absorb - A magical bubble that absorbs all of the damage from the next attack that would deal damage to you, lasts 2 cycles.
  • Endure - Create a magical armor that absorbs up to 5 damage from all incoming attacks for the next 3 cycles.
Technique: The most complicated school, Techniques are in most cases magically infused attacks that have added benefit or allow for crazy effects. A Technique is infusing mana into the character themselves to do something naturally not do able or something that affects their weapon in some fashion. Techniques can be empowered by either Strength or Agility and often both Might and Aethyr.
  • Flurry of Blows - A rapid mana infused assault that preforms 6 rapid attacks, each inflicting slightly increased damage with increased accuracy.
  • Rain of Arrows - By firing a single arrow into the sky the caster magically multiples their attack, causing one to become many - allowing them to simultaneously preform one attack against all targets within the radius.
  • Molten Strike - Charge your weapon with firey energy, allowing it to deal an extra 15 damage and turning the attacks damage type to fire.
Support: Support spells are a catch all - if it does not fall into one of the other categories then it is a support spell. Support spells are often only affected by one of the Meta-Stats (Aethyr, Might or Charm) if any at all.
  • Invisibility - A magical cloak that renders the target invisible to standard forms of visual perception for up to 3 cycles.
  • Flight - A spell that allows the target to freely fly at that normal movement speed for 5 cycles.
  • Teleport - An incantation that rapidly relocates that caster and passengers to another location by moving them through the Aethyr itself.

Finally we talk about what the hell a Cycle is. Very basically a cycle is just what we will be using to measure time. In D&D this is done in rounds, which represent a 6 second block of time. We want to stay away from this because it's just too much to keep track of. Instead we will be using posting cycles for ability durations. In general we'll want to keep this lower (more magic use more often, rather then 'set it and forget it' type stuff.. but some exceptions may apply. So basically a cycle is just from point of GM post to point of next GM post. Easy as that.

BEFORE YOU FREAK OUT READ BELOW...!!!

That's a lot of information to take in, I know. But you'll be okay I promise. It looks like much more then it actually is. Below I am including both the newly updated character sheet that you'll need to fill out and transfer your current information over to and what is required of you. READ THAT and you will realize that this change while it looks massive and scary basically requires nothing from you!

• Power creation guidelines have not changed. The 4 levels (Minor, Major, Supreme, Ultimate) are still in effect. You still have the same number of them and the same trade down options as you did before. The GM(s) will take care of taking your idea and molding it to the system with your help, no extra work from you aside from just talking with us.
  • The meta-stats Aethyr, Might & Charm are still rated on a scale of 1-10 and all characters have 12 points to spend across them however they want. Exception: Elves get 1 free point in Aethyr.
  • The newly added stats Strength, Agility, Stamina, Intellect & Charisma have no caps.
    • Dragons - get 3 free Stamina, 2 Strength; and have 12 points to spend how they want.
    • Elves - get 2 free Agility and 1 Intellect; and have 15 points to spend how they want.
    • Humans - have 20 points to spend freely how they want.
  • ALL OTHER CHANGES ARE HANDLED BY THE GAME MASTERS.

Code (New Sheet Template) Select

[float=right][center][img height=300 width=300]http://placehold.it/300x300[/img]
[img height=100 width=100]http://placehold.it/100x100[/img][img height=100 width=100]http://placehold.it/100x100[/img][img height=100 width=100]http://placehold.it/100x100[/img][/center][/float][center][font=Georgia][size=15pt][b]Dragonsong Character Sheet[/size][/font][/center]

[font=georgia][u][b][size=12pt]Basic Information[/size][/u][/font]
[b]Name:[/b] [i][/i]
[b]Nickname:[/b] [i][/i]
[b]Race:[/b] [i][/i]
[b]Age:[/b] [i][/i]
[b]Gender:[/b] [i][/i]
[b]Sexuality:[/b] [i][/i]
[b]Home Region:[/b] [i][/i]

[font=georgia][b][u][size=12pt]Appearance[/size][/u][/font]
[b]Height:[/b] [i][/i]
[b]Weight:[/b] [i][/i]
[b]Hair Color:[/b] [i][/i]
[b]Eye Color:[/b] [i][/i]
[b]Dragon Color:[/b] [i][/i]
[b]Face Claim:[/b] [i][/i]

[font=georgia][u][size=12pt][b]Partner Information[/size][/u][/font]
[b]Partner:[/b] [i][/i]
[b]How Long:[/b] [i][/i]
[b]Type of Relationship:[/b] [i][/i]

[font=georgia][u][size=12pt][b]Abilities[/size][/u][/font]
[b]Strength:[/b] [i][/i]
[b]Agility:[/b] [i][/i]
[b]Stamina:[/b] [i][/i]
[b]Intellect:[/b] [i][/i]
[b]Charisma:[/b] [i][/i]

[b]Aethyr:[/b] [i][/i]
[b]Might:[/b] [i][/i]
[b]Charm:[/b] [i][/i]

[b]Mundane Skills:[/b] [i][/i]

[font=georgia][u][size=12pt][b]Character Background[/size][/u][/font]
[b]Personality:[/b] [i][/i]
[b]History:[/b] [i][/i]
[b]Flaws/Merits:[/b] [i][/i]
[b]On's/Off's:[/b] [i][/i]

[font=georgia][u][size=12pt][b]Powers[/size][/u][/font]
[b]Minor:[/b] [i][/i]
[b]Major:[/b] [i][/i]
[b]Supreme:[/b] [i][/i]
[b]Ultimate:[/b] [i][/i]

[font=georgia][u][size=12pt][b]Any Additional Notes[/size][/u][/font]
[i][/i]

Also please keep track of THIS THREAD where all GM announcements are made and archived so they don't get lost in OOC.

Elysian Radiance

RECRUITMENT ANNOUNCEMENT!

We are looking for 1 player to play a dragon for a male rider being played by Skyre! Please send a PM stating your interest to me. The game will be starting by the end of this weekend, so we'd like to have a workable character sheet finished by Thursday or Friday. Please know that you will be required to post at least once per 10 days and that working with your partner is an integral part of the game. The relationship does not need to be romantic, but an established partnership needs to be in place before the game starts. If you want to see examples of current characters, please visit our Character Vault.