The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mia h

Quote from: Far eyes on May 03, 2016, 10:59:52 AM
Huh did i miss something? Why do you think that?
Snyder has said that he thinks the Martian Manhunter is a boring character and that anyone who's heard of the character is obviously a virgin. That second comment is kind of a strange 'insult' to throw around as Snyder was commenting on the character and so must of heard of them.

As for the white-washing, but J'onn's human alter ego has typically been depicted as a black male. So if a black male isn't cast for the role then somebody is going to kick off about it, not saying I would agree with them, but you can see that particular shit-storm coming from a mile off.

Edit:
My bad, it was David Goyer not Zack Snyder who made the crack about anyone who'd of Martian Manhunter still being a virgin. So the director doesn't like the character and the writer doesn't like the people who do like the character, which equates to zero chance of him being included while the pair of them as still attached to the movies.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Zekromnomnom

Quote from: Mathim on May 03, 2016, 01:45:26 PM
Aren't there white martians? So WTF is this talk of whitewashing if they have numerous colors?

There were green, white, and I believe yellow martians, but for them it was more than skin deep. In the comics, different kinds of martians actually had different physiologies to some extent. The fuss about white washing is that Martian Manhunter's favored shape in maybe the comics (don't know for sure) but definitely in various cartoons and the Supergirl live action show, is of a black man.

It becomes an issue of representation. I don't know whether your average black comic fan feels like they have more representation because Martian Manhunter chooses to take the shape of a black man, though he's not human and has green skin in his natural form. But I'm not black, so I leave it to people who are to feel about it how they feel about it. *shrug*

Personally, I always liked Carl Lumbly's voice as Martian Manhunter and he is a black man. His voice for the character sounds...I dunno, vaguely African and I liked that in the character. I can't really imagine Willem Dafoe's voice when I think of a CGI or face painted MM.

Guess someone already adressed it.

Mathim

Quote from: Zekromnomnom on May 03, 2016, 02:58:53 PM
There were green, white, and I believe yellow martians, but for them it was more than skin deep. In the comics, different kinds of martians actually had different physiologies to some extent. The fuss about white washing is that Martian Manhunter's favored shape in maybe the comics (don't know for sure) but definitely in various cartoons and the Supergirl live action show, is of a black man.

It becomes an issue of representation. I don't know whether your average black comic fan feels like they have more representation because Martian Manhunter chooses to take the shape of a black man, though he's not human and has green skin in his natural form. But I'm not black, so I leave it to people who are to feel about it how they feel about it. *shrug*

Personally, I always liked Carl Lumbly's voice as Martian Manhunter and he is a black man. His voice for the character sounds...I dunno, vaguely African and I liked that in the character. I can't really imagine Willem Dafoe's voice when I think of a CGI or face painted MM.

Guess someone already adressed it.

Oh yeah, he was black on Smallville too, though I've never yet watched Supergirl (saw a few clips of the Flash crossover episode...gotta say, without him I'd probably not have cared much for the rest of it. Can DEFINITELY see why they wanted him on her show and not the other way around). But in the conclusion of Justice League (before it became Justice League Unlimited) and the Thanagarians were hunting down the League, everyone had to go undercover and he assumed the form of a white guy. So for me, don't give a shit what race the actor who plays him is, I just don't think the label whitewashing is appropriate there for such a versatile character.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

Interestingly, Phil Morris who played Martian Manhunter on Smallville did the voice of Vandal Savage on the Justice League cartoons.

Alot of the casting they have been doing for the DC movies has been questionable. Amber Heard? I don't see her fitting as Mera. Wasn't the last movie she did a Nicholas Cage movie? The Executives need to do some serious revamping. They've been taking hits left and right. Even the tv shows. Apparently on Arrow, they will be bringing in the Question who Oliver goes to for help since Constantine was afraid of Damien Darhk. And, next season the new big bad, is some guy named James who is described as being "charming", "a man on a mission".

A report came out saying they would reveal the identity of Robin. Have a feeling it will be Jason Todd, and since another report mentioned Red Hood potentially being in the solo Batman movie he will appear.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 03, 2016, 08:43:05 PM
Interestingly, Phil Morris who played Martian Manhunter on Smallville did the voice of Vandal Savage on the Justice League cartoons.

Alot of the casting they have been doing for the DC movies has been questionable. Amber Heard? I don't see her fitting as Mera. Wasn't the last movie she did a Nicholas Cage movie? The Executives need to do some serious revamping. They've been taking hits left and right. Even the tv shows. Apparently on Arrow, they will be bringing in the Question who Oliver goes to for help since Constantine was afraid of Damien Darhk. And, next season the new big bad, is some guy named James who is described as being "charming", "a man on a mission".

A report came out saying they would reveal the identity of Robin. Have a feeling it will be Jason Todd, and since another report mentioned Red Hood potentially being in the solo Batman movie he will appear.

So then does Dick Grayson just not exist in the DCEU or is he also dearly departed, or has he gone off on his own as Nightwing and just isn't making headlines like Batman?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

Jason Todd was the only Robin who was killed by the Joker. He took up the mantle of Robin after Dick Grayson moved on. They mentioned having Barbara Gordon in BvS but her scenes were cut. And, Dick Grayson really didn't make waves like Batman. He moved on to Bludhaven where he worked as Nightwing. But, with the state of how things are going within the DC movies, who knows what Synder has planned.

TheGlyphstone

Dick Grayson will get shot and killed in the first five minutes of the solo Batman movie.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 03, 2016, 09:05:07 PM
Jason Todd was the only Robin who was killed by the Joker. He took up the mantle of Robin after Dick Grayson moved on. They mentioned having Barbara Gordon in BvS but her scenes were cut. And, Dick Grayson really didn't make waves like Batman. He moved on to Bludhaven where he worked as Nightwing. But, with the state of how things are going within the DC movies, who knows what Synder has planned.

Well you'd think with Batman being such a controversial and popular figure, they'd have noted he had a sidekick at some point, and the disappearance/relocation of said sidekick regardless of where they may have migrated. But then that would require some cohesiveness and logical sense and that's just asking too much.

Far eyes

Actually if you look in the background of one of the batcave scenes there is a hint that the Killing Joke happened in this continuity, in general i take it as one of the reasons this batman is so far down the list of reasons to give any fucks
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0

Zekromnomnom

Quote from: Far eyes on May 04, 2016, 04:16:14 AM
Actually if you look in the background of one of the batcave scenes there is a hint that the Killing Joke happened in this continuity, in general i take it as one of the reasons this batman is so far down the list of reasons to give any fucks

I'm just pissed there was no giant penny or t-rex.

...there was no giant penny or t-rex, right? I don't remember.

Mathim

I remember the giant penny in the Batcave from the Animated Series, but I don't remember a T-Rex. I remember Superman fought a robotic T-Rex early on in his series, and in the final series of Batman, he and Batgirl fought another one.

Zekromnomnom

Both are a common comic book thing. Pretty sure it's in Hush, I know it's in the Long Halloween. Um...I don't have the Dark Knight Returns in the giant pile of borrowed graphic novels next to my bed anymore, but it might be in that one.

Anyway, it should be in the movies.

Mathim

Quote from: Zekromnomnom on May 04, 2016, 08:28:31 AM
Both are a common comic book thing. Pretty sure it's in Hush, I know it's in the Long Halloween. Um...I don't have the Dark Knight Returns in the giant pile of borrowed graphic novels next to my bed anymore, but it might be in that one.

Anyway, it should be in the movies.

So should a lot of things. And a lot of things shouldn't that did end up in them.

Far eyes

So i have not seen it yet, but what i hear from the grape wine is that Civil War is kind of really good, so Marvel doing its marvel thing while DC...    yaah.
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

A/A

Mathim

Far eyes

You know the "Because i am batman" ending would have at least been fun...     marvel might have actually done that... 

A/A

Mathim

Quote from: Far eyes on May 05, 2016, 10:55:07 AM
You know the "Because i am batman" ending would have at least been fun...     marvel might have actually done that...

No, no, no. They'd have to do the one from Batman: The Animated Series. "I am vengeance! I am the night! I! AM! BATMAN!"

Far eyes

You know it is something i have been wondering, how would marvel handle Batman v superman and i can only imagine it would be more like that scene from the avengers when they are all initially fighting each other and then there is that moment of "oh maybe we should not do this before somebody dies" because you know, its written by people who do not say dumb fucking shit like... what was that dumb shit snider said why he had superman kill Zod so he understood it was bad to kill...   
I mean even in the first movie there continues to be a lot of tension, they do not get along but they manage to work together and its actually what makes the most fun little moments.

A/A

Mathim

Quote from: Far eyes on May 05, 2016, 01:35:15 PM
You know it is something i have been wondering, how would marvel handle Batman v superman and i can only imagine it would be more like that scene from the avengers when they are all initially fighting each other and then there is that moment of "oh maybe we should not do this before somebody dies" because you know, its written by people who do not say dumb fucking shit like... what was that dumb shit snider said why he had superman kill Zod so he understood it was bad to kill...   
I mean even in the first movie there continues to be a lot of tension, they do not get along but they manage to work together and its actually what makes the most fun little moments.

Well they'd probably have them with some familiarity before going head-to-head so we'd have the emotional turmoil of those who were once friends, or at least allies, having to fight. If they never gave a shit about the welfare of the other, it's not exactly dramatic. Having to turn on someone you once considered a comrade, or a close friend, now THAT is compelling.

CaptainNexus616

What gets me is how they ended the movie itself. I think Snyder may be doing more harm than just merely shoving every big name in at once.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Logic aside did we really also need to do the Death of Superman story in the same movie that is utilizing points from the Dark Knight Returns AND setting up the basis for the Justice League? Its like not only are we going to get all these characters thrown in our face, now we will have like three different comic book storylines all smashed together into one movie.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

SapphireStar

At least with Marvel, they try to stick with a particular storyline. They've even admitted to utilizing elements from other Marvel universes/characters to create new ones. Which they somehow make work. DC just seems to take everything and throw it into a pot to see what happens. Justice League is already looking to have even more characters.

Speaking of DC, what is going on with the tv shows? Did anyone watch the showdown between Damien Darhk and Oliver Queen? Why couldn't they bring Constantine back? Wait, apparently they said he was too scared to face Damien  >:(

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on May 05, 2016, 09:00:31 PM
What gets me is how they ended the movie itself. I think Snyder may be doing more harm than just merely shoving every big name in at once.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Logic aside did we really also need to do the Death of Superman story in the same movie that is utilizing points from the Dark Knight Returns AND setting up the basis for the Justice League? Its like not only are we going to get all these characters thrown in our face, now we will have like three different comic book storylines all smashed together into one movie.

Well we all know that's a completely pointless story to do since we know it's not remotely possible that its effects will be permanent, nor even long-lasting.

SapphireStar

Apparently, the Supergirl tv show is in budgetary trouble. According to a news report they are seeking to move to Vancouver due to cheaper production costs. That is if the show is renewed.

Far eyes

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 06, 2016, 03:09:26 AM
Apparently, the Supergirl tv show is in budgetary trouble. According to a news report they are seeking to move to Vancouver due to cheaper production costs. That is if the show is renewed.

Probably because nobody watches it because she is...  hard to watch

A/A

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Mathim on May 05, 2016, 09:20:06 PM
Well we all know that's a completely pointless story to do since we know it's not remotely possible that its effects will be permanent, nor even long-lasting.

Honestly, even with the actual, original Death of Superman arc, it was never really expected or believed that Supes was perma-dead. Reign of the Supermen was about the various people who tried to fill the void Superman left behind while he was gone, and that could be an interesting story to tell. DC won't do it, and if they tried they'd botch it horribly, but the potential remains.