Re: APOCALYPSE RUNNERS: A 'Zombies, Run!' Spinoff [Wait List]

Started by Eislynn, August 09, 2012, 09:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caitlin

Oi cool, would be fun if you get to join too Lyria! :)

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of character do you have in mind?

Lyria

I am thinking of a young Latina woman who grew up on the streets with just her brother as family. He sacrificed himself to save her, so now she is alone.

Before the zombies rose, she and her brother survived by committing petty crimes and crashing in abandoned buildings. She's never had formal education, though her brother did the best he could to teach her the basics. She never did learn to read, as she has dyslexia, but neither of them ever knew why it was so hard for her. They dodged the authorities as they were brought to the country illegally by their mother, and didn't want to risk being sent back to a country they didn't remember, and didn't want to risk being separated.

She is tough, quick, and practiced in parkour (though they never called it by that fancy name, it was just a way to get out of an area quickly and into another). She is also prone to fight, is defensive, and distrusting, and also used to having to steal what she needs. But, she does have a large heart hiding behind her hard exterior. She wants to reach out to others, especially now that she is basically alone in the world, but doesn't know how to start.
All you have is your fire
And the place you need to reach
Don't you ever tame your demons
But always keep 'em on a leash.           ons/offs

Caitlin

Sweet, it sounds like a really lovely character. I'd love to have my character interact with yours, it sounds like they have some things in common and perhaps my character could even help her learning to read. :-)

Lyria

Quote from: Caitlin on August 16, 2012, 09:37:24 AM
Sweet, it sounds like a really lovely character. I'd love to have my character interact with yours, it sounds like they have some things in common and perhaps my character could even help her learning to read. :-)

If my character is accepted, I am sure we can arrange this. She is going to be loath to admit to anyone that she can't read. But it can't stay a secret forever. It could be some neat roleplaying if your character did find out, and tried to teach her to read.

TheRedFear

Quote from: Caitlin on August 16, 2012, 03:55:02 AM
I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but youtube wasn't around yet 8+ years ago. :-s

My template is modified and updated. I think all the pm requests are implemented, but please let me know if there is something else that requires fixing. :-)

Oh, by the way, can I be either Runner 3 or 6? (I have a preference for 6 actually, but 3 would work too.) ;D

You mean there was such a thing as a time without youtube? Oh the horror...

Edited. :)

Caitlin

Quote from: Lyria on August 16, 2012, 10:33:20 AM
If my character is accepted, I am sure we can arrange this. She is going to be loath to admit to anyone that she can't read. But it can't stay a secret forever. It could be some neat roleplaying if your character did find out, and tried to teach her to read.
That would be really cool yes. ^_^
I'm looking forward to it.

Quote from: TheRedFear on August 16, 2012, 12:24:07 PM
You mean there was such a thing as a time without youtube? Oh the horror...

Edited. :)
Yeah, I know. ;D

They could have still taped it on an old vidcam though!

Praxis

Quote from: Katida desu on August 15, 2012, 07:41:55 PM

Though this is extremely inspired by the App, this is an entirely new story. Your character should have no connection to Abel Township. This time, the setting is Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

On another note, great character so far. I'm pretty much ready to approve you right now, but I'll wait to look over anything else you might want to add. Fair warning, though. I'm extremely familiar with Pittsburgh, especially circa our setting. I'll be using many actual landmarks - Things that a geography teacher should know. I may be sending you a lot of google maps links:)

No worries about the Google map links...you fire away.  :)

With the fact that he's new to the proposed settlement of people...I have nothing new to add so if you want to consider him officially submitted for approval, by all means.  :)

Also...hope you're having a better day Katida.

Eislynn

@TheRedFear
Dominic is approved. You can have him start out in a place fairly close to Brunot called McKees Rocks. We 'burghers colloquially call it 'The Rocks' and it's as down and dirty as it sounds. It has a reputation for being a rough working class neighborhood.

@Lyria
Welcome aboard. I look forward to seeing your finished product.

@Praxis
Jason is approved. He can start out in Dormont. It's a nice family neighborhood close to quite a few schools. We can say he worked at Seton La-Salle High School. It's a prevalent school in the area, but that's a Catholic School so if you're not comfortable with that, you can say he worked for Keystone Oaks High School.

@Caitlin
Caitlin has her choice of two hospitals: UPMC Presbyterian or UPMC Magee Women's Hospital. As for knowing the two college students, that's possible but not likely. They would probably have a sort of Alma Mater solidarity once they met, but PITT is a huge school. However, you are welcome to have her take shelter in the Cathedral of Learning on campus after having stolen away from her prior living arrangements. The two students are also likely starting there. It might feel like a safe and familiar place to her as an alumni.

@Everyone
I'm noticing a lot of Parkour/Free-running. Please feel free to branch out from this trope, and read over other players sheets before finalizing your skills. I know it's a valuable skill in this world we are creating, but I was hoping for a bit of variety as well. Also keep in mind that Parkour is going to use up considerably more energy than plain old running. Those of you who utilize it will be hungry more often, and remember there isn't an incredible amount of food to go around lately. I won't consider it a problem unless it becomes one and I get complaints, but uniqueness and good RP will have their own rewards in this game. I will see to that.

Lyria

Name: Catalina Flores
Sexual Preference: Curious about both sexes, experienced with neither
Occupation (Pre-Apocalypse): None, street rat, petty thief
Personal Hobbies of Note: Origami
Description: 5’2, 125 lbs. Catalina is muscular and well-toned throughout the torso and limbs, with the subtle curves. Her hair is dark and wavy, falling to her waist, and usually wears it in a loose ponytail or a side braid. Her eyes are a very dark brown, almost black, with thick, naturally arched brows framing them.  The shape of her face is heart shaped, with full lips and high set cheekbones. She dresses in what is available, and what she is free to move in, preferring close fit tank tops and baggy cargo pants. There is nothing particularly girly about Catalina, she is a tomboy through and through. She wears no make-up, and her nails are short. Catalina rarely smiles, but when she does her face lights up and dimples appear in her cheeks.

History:
Catalina grew up on the streets with her brother Marcellus. When she was an infant, her brother the age of six, her young teenaged mother brought them from Mexico to America after their father died in a farming accident. Their mother was unable to cope with two small children and the realization that America was not the instant land of wealth she thought it was going to be. She fell into prostitution and drugs to try and numb her own pain and disappointment and resentment of being stuck with two small children and what she perceived to be no future. She was very abusive and neglectful in general, but Marcellus usually managed to steal enough from her to keep Catalina and he fed at least once a day.

Then one storming and thundery night their mother sent Marcellus out after dark, actually giving him a few dollars to run to the gas station a mile away so he could by some canned soup. He knew there had to be a reason she proactively gave him the money she did…but ultimately the rumbling in their stomachs made him leave the roach filled apartment their mother traded her body for each week. He hated leaving his sister behind, but she was too young to take out after dark in the slums. The apartment was frequented by druggies and Johns, but the small room off to the side that Catalina and Marcellus called their bedroom was usually ignored.

Half way to the gas station he felt a tingle on his neck and knew he had to turn around and go back home. He ran as fast as he could, and when he burst into the apartment he saw Mama holding more money than he had ever seen, and more money than his mother’s haggard face could ever bring in.
Bursting into the bedroom he saw a man crouched near where his young sister was screaming and kicking. Their mother had tried to sell Catalina instead of herself, and Marcellus had returned just in time. 

Marcellus, then age twelve, took his six year old sister and fled, but only after beating the man with a chair, and then with a chair leg once the chair shattered. He might only have been twelve, but he was strong and wiry and guided by love for his sister and years of pent up anger.

The experience for Catalina was beyond traumatic. The large looming man, the anger in Marcellus, the blood, the thunder and lightning...it scarred her. To this day she feels panic and fear when a thunderstorm strikes. She does her best to hide it, to fight it, but the knot in the pit of her stomach makes her hands shake and her skin pale.

They lived on the streets as isolated from others as they could manage. Marcellus was suspicious and wary of authorities. Neither of them had been born in America, and he feared the possibility they would be sent back to a country Catalina didn’t remember at all, and that he barely recalled. He was also fearful they would be separated by ‘the system’, and did everything in his power to keep them independent and on their own. That meant no school, no government assistance, and no help from anyone.

The only means of survival became theft.  As Catalina got older, she tried to only pickpocket from those that looked like they could afford to miss a few dollars, and tried to rotate what stores she shoplifted from so they didn’t take too much from one place. She hated stealing, but knew no other way to survive.

They had no real home, and crashed in abandoned buildings, moving every few weeks so no one would take notice. But they had each other, so no matter where they were, for no matter how short of a time, it was home to Catalina.

Since they could not attend school, Marcellus did the best he could to teach Catalina what he knew, learning as much as he could along the way. He was able to teach her basic math skills, which she took too quickly. He kept her fluent in both Spanish and English. She was smart, and picked up ideas quickly. But she never was able to read. No matter how hard they tried, or what books they went through at the library, she just could not get it.  What neither of them knew is that Catalina is dyslexic. She has always been ashamed of her inability to read, and considers it a fault. Marcellus always tried to tell her she wasn’t stupid, but she has always felt that way since she can’t read.

They had no TV, their trips to the library often included watching movies and listening to stories. Despite the fact that she couldn’t read, the library was her favorite place. The librarian never seemed to notice their dirty clothes and bare feet, and gave them juice and cookies.

And it was at the library that she discovered origami.

Living in a concrete jungle, Catalina saw very little beauty. Everything was grey and hard and dirty.  But with Origami she was able to bring to life the scenes in the movies and in the stories at the library. She made her own flowers and animals out of bits of paper here and there. There was always trash around; it was easy to find things to fold. After a while her skill had grown beyond what she could find in the instructional pictures in the books at the library. She made her own patterns, and spent hours perfecting her creations.

Marcellus told her she couldn’t be stupid if she could build a rose out of trash. She almost believed him. But what good was her skill? They couldn’t eat anything she made. They couldn’t sleep in it. They couldn’t hide in it. It was a useless skill, if not one that calmed her racing mind and eased her temper.

Parkour, though she didn’t know the skill had a name, was also a way to calm her mind and ease her temper. Honing her skill was also a means of survival.  Beyond having to sometimes run from the law, or some shop keep, they had to be very wary of gangs and often had to run from them as well. As Catalina matured and grew into a young woman, the threat grew even larger. Constantly they had to avoid attracting attention of any kind.  Marcellus could be killed for not joining a gang, and Catalina raped for just being a female.

Running, parkour, hiding…it wasn’t a hobby or sport for Marcellus and Catalina. It was life. It was survival. For as long as she can remember, Catalina has been running, hiding, scaling buildings, avoiding people, and stealing what she needs to survive. Anyone could run through streets, but it was by using their vertical environment that Marcellus and Catalina had the edge they needed.

It was ironic when the thing that was normal for them…lack of food, lack of shelter, concern for safety, became hardships for the rest of the world. Marcellus almost took a sick sort of satisfaction knowing that all of the middleclass and rich people of America were now having to live almost like he and his sister had been living for a very long time. Catalina never had that satisfaction. She just considered it sad.

Marcellus did the best he could to raise Catalina, but in his desire to protect her he sheltered her from everyone else. She never had other friends, never had a boyfriend, and Marcellus was her world. He was a brother, a parent, and her best friend.

Then he became zombie food; sacrificing himself so she could live. That knowledge haunts her and weighs her down with more grief and guilt than she ever thought imaginable. 

Now Catalina is alone for the first time in her life. She knows how to survive better than most people around her, but had no idea how to befriend any of them.

Runner?: Yes

(I took note of what you said about parkour being mentioned by more than one character, but she was created before your game and it is pretty ingrained into her history and a big part of who she is. If you would prefer me to submit a different character, let me know :) )

Caitlin

Quote from: Katida desu on August 16, 2012, 05:13:18 PM
@Caitlin
Caitlin has her choice of two hospitals: UPMC Presbyterian or UPMC Magee Women's Hospital. As for knowing the two college students, that's possible but not likely. They would probably have a sort of Alma Mater solidarity once they met, but PITT is a huge school. However, you are welcome to have her take shelter in the Cathedral of Learning on campus after having stolen away from her prior living arrangements. The two students are also likely starting there. It might feel like a safe and familiar place to her as an alumni.
I'll fix the hospital she works for. My research turned up that there is also a UMPC Mercy (full list of UMPC's here), which I would really like to make her former workplace. Originally she worked for Mercy hospital, but that info was lost in my edits due to my lack of knowledge about Pittsburgh. Considering she used to work there 14 months ago, her previous employment shouldn't affect her current stance in life and position in the story.

To prevent conflicts with the storyline you have in mind, I have removed all references to Patient Zero. Instead I placed them at a time where the apocalypse was already starting with several aggressive patients and her fiancé was bitten by one of those. Since Mercy has a trauma level 1 centre it would make sense that people go there to get treatment. There also aren't any references added to the other students, or her current whereabouts. I'm guessing that makes more sense to put it in the introduction post. Due to her distrust of people I would prefer to have her start alone, though I'm okay with meeting up with people and travel with them to Brunot Island.

How important is realism to you when it comes to Pittsburgh? I hope you understand that, though I like to do proper research, I won't be able to study an entire city's infrastructure. If realism is extremely important then I'll need details of all the locations that come up in a next post before I start posting, so I can keep it in mind. One way you could do this ICly is by giving us a briefing before each mission, that could be a cool way to prevent some problems. :-)

TheRedFear

You know it's actually not that strange that alot of Parkour practioners would be the type of people who survive a zombie apocalypse if you think about it. Kinda like how you never see a lot of fat people who live long in a zombie apocalypse.

Zombie Rule #1 People: Cardio.

Caitlin

Yup, very true and after 14 months of apocalypse you'd expect only the fittest to be still alive, after all, it's survival of the fittest for a reason. :)

My character lacks the strength in her arms for parkour, but she can run distances for a really long time and run with short bursts when needed.

I doubt we'll see many old and diseased in such an event. Unless they have something special going for them, it's unlikely that they would survive. In another zombie game I had an old priest as well, but he'd die at some point during the story if that game wasn't canceled.

Praxis

I disagree with the whole "only the fit survive" sentiment.

Not that I'm "arguing".  Just throwing a counter-idea out there.

People group together.  That's what they do.  That's one of the strengths of "humanity".  When they "group up", they get shit done.  It's entirely possible that someone out of shape won't survive long in the zombie apocalypse on their own...but in a group? 

"Free runners" and parkour practitioners are really, REALLY handy to have in a role such as the one for this game, but they shouldn't be mistaken for endurance runners.  Those kind of atheletes can have fantastic endurance but they are focused on a number of different disciplines regarding strength, agility and are closer to gymnasts in some respects.

Not that I'm against free runners or "parkour people".  If I was twenty years younger...I'd be doing that stuff non-stop.  ;)

People that are endurance runners focus on one thing.  Good running technique, cardio/endurance and conservation of energy.  So where a parkour practitioner might be super effective in a short-term encounter, a 10K or 20K run might turn out to be a not-so-great situation for them.

There's pros and cons for all builds really.

As for the out of shape folk.  I know the people in my current life.  There's the fits ones and the not-so-fit ones.  The fit ones on average don't have an over-abundance of trade skills.  Whereas I can think of three of the most out of shape people in my life and they would have electrician, plumber and carpentry covered.

I think there's a place for all shapes and sizes in the zombie apocalypse.  ;)

Caitlin

Quote from: Praxis on August 17, 2012, 09:51:01 AM
I disagree with the whole "only the fit survive" sentiment.

Not that I'm "arguing".  Just throwing a counter-idea out there.

People group together.  That's what they do.  That's one of the strengths of "humanity".  When they "group up", they get shit done.  It's entirely possible that someone out of shape won't survive long in the zombie apocalypse on their own...but in a group? 
My argument of survival of the fittest is still valid in that case, because not all groups that band together survive. A lot of them die because they don't have the required skills, or ability to adept to their new situation, to stay alive. It's still survival of the fittest, but in a broader sense of the word. :)

Praxis

Quote from: Caitlin on August 17, 2012, 10:06:25 AM
My argument of survival of the fittest is still valid in that case, because not all groups that band together survive. A lot of them die because they don't have the required skills, or ability to adept to their new situation, to stay alive. It's still survival of the fittest, but in a broader sense of the word. :)

True...I was being too literal with "fittest".  :D

Caitlin

You did have a good point as well though, I should have included that originally. ^_^

Wargtass

This still open? I have a concept for a Z-Apoc I always wanted to try.
O/O

Caitlin

TheRedFear

Indeed, if an out of shape peson survives the Z-Day for any lngth of time it's only because they make up in cunning, resourcefulness, and level-headedness what they lack in physicality. So it's still a form of "Survival of the Fittest"

But how many people out there do you really think have those mental and emotional strengths in sufficient abundance to compensate for a major physical deficiencies like obesity? I know of some "fat" people who are remarkably in shape mind you. My 275 pound uncle could actually outrun me when I was 12 years old and wiry. I imagine Sumo Wrestlers are remarkably more fit than their apearance might indicate too. But those are rare exceptions. most people who are overweight are winded after a short jog.

I suspect most apocalyptic scenarios of av adversarial nature(Surviving zombies or raiders or aliens, etc) would see more physically capable survivors, while environmental apocalypses(extreme weather, electro magnetic pulse, food shortages, etc) might see more intellectual survivors

Eislynn

Quote from: Wargtass on August 17, 2012, 12:38:56 PM
This still open? I have a concept for a Z-Apoc I always wanted to try.
Yes. You'll be the last for now. I'm taking the Players Wanted tag down now.

Accepted players, feel free to move your conversations over to the OOC thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=149060.0
I'd like to keep this thread for character creation only

Also - Accepted Characters List: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=149392.0
Please re-post your accepted characters into that thread.

To anyone that wanders in after this post: Feel free to still express your interest and if we lose players, you'll be on the waiting list. Thanks!

Eislynn

Derp. Double post. I almost forgot something:

Caitlin - I dont know if I ever officially approved your character, but here's your official marque of passage. Approved.

Lyria - Catalina is approved. BEECHVIEW is quickly becoming the Hispanic neighborhood of Pittsburgh, so you're welcome to say she's from there. She might have visited Dormont Public Library. Beechview is also right on the Light Rail that takes you downtown, if you wanted to work any of that info in. Completely optional of course.

On a side note, not entirely pertinent, Pittsburgh's 'concrete jungle' is really only referring to the immediate downtown area. (The golden triangle.) There are a surprising amount of wooded and green areas in and around the city.

@ Everyone - If I missed officially approving anyone, please let me know and I'll get right on it.

Caitlin

Quote from: Katida desu on August 17, 2012, 03:19:11 PM
Caitlin - I dont know if I ever officially approved your character, but here's your official marque of passage. Approved.
Eek! :o

Oi, thank you.

I was under the impression that approval was implied when you asked me to change some details to make the history fit better, but until now no official approval was given no.  :-X

Eislynn

Quote from: Caitlin on August 17, 2012, 03:59:37 PM
Eek! :o

Oi, thank you.

I was under the impression that approval was implied when you asked me to change some details to make the history fit better, but until now no official approval was given no.  :-X

Yeah I intended it as implied too, but I always think it's better to explicitly state it than to keep people guessing.

Lyria

Quote from: Katida desu on August 17, 2012, 03:19:11 PM

Lyria - Catalina is approved. BEECHVIEW is quickly becoming the Hispanic neighborhood of Pittsburgh, so you're welcome to say she's from there. She might have visited Dormont Public Library. Beechview is also right on the Light Rail that takes you downtown, if you wanted to work any of that info in. Completely optional of course.

Is it okay to amend her history and say that she is from somewhere else, but after the death of her brother has found her way to Pittsburgh?