Re: APOCALYPSE RUNNERS: A 'Zombies, Run!' Spinoff [Wait List]

Started by Eislynn, August 09, 2012, 09:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eislynn

@Swordsman18
I sent you a PM. See my suggestions there, but Carl is Approved.

Mossberg

Name: Vincent (Vin) Cheeks
    Sexual Preference: Straight
    Occupation (Pre-Apocalypse): Gang member/drug dealer
    Personal Hobbies of Note: Weightlifting and video games
    Description: Vin stands at six feet even and weighs about 220 pounds. His clothing consists of jeans and t-shirts with sneakers or boots. In inclement weather he wears a medium grey jacket or a white down filled coat depending on the weather.
    History: From a young age Vin had been exposed to a dangerous life. His parents were alcoholics and drug users and as a result they stayed poor and had to live in neighborhoods with low property value due mostly to crime. Vin grew up in fear until he became big enough to defend himself from the meaner boys. Once he started fighting he realized that he liked it. And he was good at it. When Vin was fifteen one of his friends introduced him to some of the crips that he hung around with. Just a couple months later he was jumped in and became a full member. The beating lasted 60-90 seconds, and it took him 10 days on bed-rest at home to recover.
    As Vin grew older his assignments from his superiors grew increasingly dangerous, illicit and savage. In the beginning he simply ran messages and played lookout. When he started getting into his late teens they had him out selling drugs and beating people to extort money from them. His early twenties was when he had made his first kill. It had been in a drive by done by some bloods from across town. They hit one of his friends and Vin pulled out his pistol and shot back at the car. With four shots he had managed to hit the driver and kill him. After that night Vin had killed a few more people for various reasons.
    Now twenty-five years old Vin is just about ready to leave the gang when the zombies come. Vin played games and watched movies and he had no illusions about what they were. Luckily he had always been a decent shot and managed to shoot zombies in the head the majority of the time. He quickly learned though that noise just brought more and switched to using an aluminum baseball bat powered by his muscular arms. At the present time he is currently holed up in a supermarket with a few of his friends.
Runner?: YES
[/quote]
"I killed the whole world, and you can too, if you try hard."
-Lews Therin Telamon

Eislynn

Vin is approved.

I'm having some technical difficulties, but will post up an approved characters thread sometime soon. That is, once I get over the rage I have because I was as dumb as to fail to hit save when I closed my NPC notes today...

In any case:

The OOC Thread is HERE: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=149060.0

Praxis

If you're still looking for runners...I am in.  Been doing Zombies Run for the last two days and would love a chance to write in a game like this.

AndyZ

Pretty sure she's still taking people.  Come on in and make a char.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Praxis

Good stuff.  I'm positively drained at the moment but I'll get one out to her tomorrow.  Thanks for the heads up man.

:)

Eislynn

Ah! Great to have another runner on board! Especially one familiar with the source material. :)

After having completed all the story missions and supply runs on what I like to call easy mode, I am going back through with zombie chases turned on, and man is it kicking my ass!

Anyway, I look forward to seeing your character!

Caitlin

Katida, is there still room left?

I originally joined E to organise my own zombie apocalypse game, but unfortunately most of the participants went inactive on me and I had to cancel that game.

The main character I created for that game would fit perfectly on this one though, she even had jogging/ track as a big time hobby and the character was created to be realistic. For my game I also had people fill in a template with skills and she excelled in things like first aid (profession was a nurse), sewing and cooking, while she wasn't particularly strong or good with weapons. The template in the spoiler is from my own game, obviously it will be updated to fit this game, should I get accepted, but I hope it gives you an impression for what she's like. It lacks a biography in the template because we wanted to introduce the history of our characters during the story and ICly only, but I can post that as well. It's in my files at home though and I'm currently at work.

Caitlin's Character
GENERAL
Name: Caitlin Walker
Date of Birth: December 21, 1988
Profession: Nurse
Sexual preference: Bi-curious

TRAITS (terrible-bad-average-good-excellent)
Dexterity - AVERAGE
Intelligence - GOOD
Perception - GOOD
Stamina - GOOD
Strength - BAD
Willpower - GOOD

SKILLS (terrible-bad-average-good-excellent)
Fighting (melee weapons) AVERAGE
Fighting (unarmed) BAD
Shooting (compound bow) BAD
Shooting (1 handed guns) BAD
Shooting (2 handed guns; shotguns/ rifles) TERRIBLE
Using demolitions (explosives)* TERRIBLE
Applying First Aid - EXCELLENT
Cooking GOOD
Performing Surgery* AVERAGE
Hunting BAD
Setting Traps BAD
Sewing GOOD
Sneaking GOOD
Driving AVERAGE
Flying (airplanes/ helicopters)* TERRIBLE
Engineering* BAD
Hacking Computers* BAD
Lock-picking AVERAGE
Repairing Equipment AVERAGE
Researching (science; inventing cures, vaccines)* AVERAGE

I had a rule in my game that terrible skills would cause severe/ (near-)lethal injuries, while skills that were bad/ average could be trained to a higher level by another character in that game, to promote cooperation between characters. For example, my nurse with excellent first aid could train a police officer with average first aid to become good at it, during the game. Characters could only have 1 excellent skill and terrible skills couldn't improve at all.

Before I commit to this game, however, I'd like to know what the expected post frequency is?
I'm currently in 3 1x1's and I'm also busy with editing a novel I want to publish soon, but I at the same I'm also very interested in joining a game like this. It's exactly what I joined E for. ^_^
(I expect to be able to write a post at least every 48 hours and perhaps even daily, also depending on how often other people update their posts.)

[edit]
I posted a completed template down below that matches your style! :)

Praxis

Quote from: Katida desu on August 15, 2012, 04:30:50 AM
Ah! Great to have another runner on board! Especially one familiar with the source material. :)

After having completed all the story missions and supply runs on what I like to call easy mode, I am going back through with zombie chases turned on, and man is it kicking my ass!

Anyway, I look forward to seeing your character!

I started on Monday and acting brave (and foolish)  I turned the zombie chases on from the start.

O.o

So first night...got chased once by zombies and after some panicking...I managed to outrun them.

Last night...I got chased FOUR times.  (It's completely random by the way)  I got caught the first time because I wasn't warmed up properly.  They "caught" me and I had to lose a tin of food to lure them away from me.

The other three times though I was rocking it.  If you just double your rate of speed you should be able to outrun them in aa 30 to 60 second burst.

I won't be running tonight but I'm looking forward to more of the story unfolding.

ALSO...I'll get a character to you today.  :)

Caitlin

Is it a sort of game Praxis? If so, could you give me a link?

It sounds interesting what you're writing, but at the same time I'm clueless as to what it's about. I prefer to put solid research in the stories I join and will read up on as many sources of information as I can get. ;D

I do hope that I won't need to be super active though, since that could conflict with the other tasks I have to take care of on a daily basis, but one post every 48 hours should be okay. :)

Praxis

Quote from: Caitlin on August 15, 2012, 07:28:07 AM
Is it a sort of game Praxis? If so, could you give me a link?

It sounds interesting what you're writing, but at the same time I'm clueless as to what it's about. I prefer to put solid research in the stories I join and will read up on as many sources of information as I can get. ;D

I do hope that I won't need to be super active though, since that could conflict with the other tasks I have to take care of on a daily basis, but one post every 48 hours should be okay. :)

Sort of.  ;)

So it's an app for your iPhone or iPod Touch.  You turn it on right before you start your run and the "story" are the people from the base/compound that you live in talking to you as if you're "Runner 5".

As you run, you learn more about the world you're in, and the characters being mentioned.  Between "chapters" it plays your music on your device (usually one or two songs) and then the next chapter starts.  While you run, it cuts in and tells you, you have picked up items. (Insulin, crutches, clothes, ammo, etc)  The idea being when you get "back to base" (you're done your run for that night) you distribute the supplies to your base, leveling up various buildings, growing the colony and opening up more main missions and side missions.

You can turn on "Zombie chases" so when listening to a song between chapters, randomly, the song will get interrupted and you'll be told that zombies are approaching.  Then you literally need to haul ass to outrun them.

It's great stuff.

Caitlin

Sounds awesome, well, apart from the part where I need Apple stuff that is. :<

I want to have an iPad, but I don't see it in my budget for a long time to come. I take it that for this game I don't need more background knowledge other than paying close attention to what the OP writes in the introduction posts and all?

I'm really getting interested in the game, though I'm still a bit unsure of how things will work out. It has a great potential though! :D

Praxis

It's a fairly simple zombie story.

I'm sure the GM will flesh everything out and the stuff she's provided already is pretty much all we need to know.

Don't come in with any pre-conceived zombie notions.  Leave it up to her to reveal what we need to know.

Basically...make a runner...and go go go.  ;)

Caitlin

Hehe, once I brushed up my biography a bit and changed some other details around I think I have a pretty decent character already. I had put a lot of effort in developing that character and what her personality is like, so I hope that things will work out well. :)

Praxis

Hey katida.  Just fleshing out my guy.

Do we make people that are brand new to the compund or part of the pre-existing compound?

What would you prefer and make your life easier?

Praxis

Name: Jason McNair
Sexual Preference: Hetero
Occupation (Pre-Apocalypse): High School Teacher - Geography
Personal Hobbies of Note: Running, Reading
Description: Standing 6'2" and weighing 190 lbs, Michael has the lean build of a runner but also someone that doesn't eat as much as he should or could in the current apocalyptic wasteland.  He has dark brown, to black hair that was once closely cropped but now hangs around his ears.  No longer having the time or inclination to shave, Michael sports a beard.  On the outside of his right ankle and calf is a tattoo of a wing, with the joint of the wing seemingly attached to the outside joint of his ankle.
History: Michael was an altogether normal guy.  He got married shortly after teacher's college with a great girl he had met there.  By the time he was twenty-five, his wife was pregnant and two years later, pregnant again.  He led a wholly unremarkable life.  He was happy.  He would have problems but they never lasted for long.  He loved his wife and he loved his son and  his daughter.  He was starting to get a bit soft around the middle when he was twenty-seven and he picked up running.  It just sortof clicked with him.  What started as a way to get some fresh air and lose some weight became something he excelled at.  He was fast and had endurance and well into his second year of running, he began running marathons as well as taking part in triathlons.  His wife and kids were supportive but upon finally getting home after the chaos had erupted and found his wife and children gnawing a still-twitching corpse outside their house...he couldn't help but wonder if he had taken too much of it for granted?  Maybe he should have spent the last three years...every second of it with his family instead of running with and against strangers?  What kind of a father and husband had he actually been if he couldn't protect them from what had happened?  He should have died that day.  He should have died with them but when the three of them and others began to close in on him...he ran.  He ran until he couldn't tell the difference between the sweat and the tears on his face.  He ran and ran.  He ran until he collapsed and vomited.  He stood up and ran some more until there was nothing else to come up so instead he huddled inside a car and dry heaved for hours.  He ran until the world turned black...

He still runs now.  Hiding...scratching out an existence and then running to safety where possible but it's wearing on him.  He needs something else to focus on.  Something else to believe in.

((Just waiting on a response from the GM until I flesh out more of him. ))

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caitlin

I'm pretty far with my biography and already have everything else filled in, I hope to have it done within 30 minutes. :)

Caitlin

Name: Caitlin Walker
Sexual preference: Bi-curious
Occupation (Pre-Apocalypse): Nurse
Personal Hobbies of Note: Running, fitness training, reading books.
Description:
Height – 1.72 meter (5'9”)
Weight – 59 kilograms (130 pounds)
Body – Trimmed and fit, due to regular running and fitness training. She's not very strong, but makes up her lack of strength with endurance and agility.
Skin color – 3/4 Caucasian, 1/4 Asian
Hair color – Almond brown
Hair – Completely shaved below the neckline, whenever razorblades are available.
Eye color – Dark Brown
Breast size – C cup
Wardrobe – Typically she wears a sports bra, a long comfortable shirt, panties, jeans, socks and jogging shoes. She always carries a backpack with her, when she's on a run for supplies.
Weapons – She's an average shot with handguns, a danger to herself with automatic weapons, and she always carries her trustworthy crowbar with her.
History:
Childhood
Caitlin was a cheerful girl, who grew up in a typical suburban neighborhood, in one of the outskirts of Pittsburgh. Her parents were hardworking people, who had jobs in Pittsburgh, and often came home late, leaving Caitlin to her own devices between the hours of getting off school and her parents coming home. Usually she would play with the neighborhood kids, but she also enjoyed reading children's books, when there was nobody to play with. After socializing, reading would always be a favorite way to pass the time.

Caitlin was a tomboy, who enjoyed playing wild games, climbing in trees and loved exploring her surroundings with friends. As a result, she joined the Girl Scouts at the age of eight, and continued to be a Girl Scout until the age of sixteen. It was here that she picked up many useful survival skills, while she enjoyed camping in the outdoors.

Teenage years
Caitlin turned from a tomboy into a beautiful teenage girl, who scored high marks in biology, while scoring above average on subjects like physics and physical education. However, despite her intelligence, she struggled with subjects like mathematics and economics, and she had trouble passing those with sufficient marks. She tried ballet for a year, but she didn't have the patience to practice and perfect the moves. She gave up after she had a major argument with her teacher about her motivation, and she didn't attempt it ever again.

During her years as a Girl Scout, she found out that she genuinely liked to help other people. She wanted to become a doctor, but her GPA wasn't high enough for a scholarship, and her parents didn't have the money to send her to a university. Instead she opted to become a nurse, which, to her, was the second best thing. Additionally, with the nurse program she enrolled in, money wasn't a concern either, since the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center paid for all the tuition costs.

College
While she was in college and studied to become a nurse, she picked up the habit to go running every morning with several of her friends. She took great joy in staying fit, and it was a fun social exercise. Her daily exercise resulted in a fit, trimmed and healthy body. In college she also met her fiancé, with whom she was planned to marry several months after she graduated. However, that was never meant to be.

Career
Once Caitlin graduated, she was offered a job at UPMC Mercy, which she eagerly accepted. Her parents were catholic, and though Caitlin wasn't particularly religious, she strongly identified herself with Mercy's core values. Three weeks later, her fiancé visited her at the hospital. During his visit, he was bitten by one of the aggressive patients. What started as a simple bite infection, quickly spread and turned into something much worse.

He would never leave the Intensive Care Unit, and several hours later Caitlin watched him die a horrible death. Her colleagues had never seen such an aggressive disease before, and they were mystified by what caused it. Even worse was how more patients with similar symptoms were arriving at the hospital, the disease seemed to spread at an exponential rate. Hours after Caitlin had lost her fiancé, all hell broke loose. Despite her best efforts to help the sick patients, it quickly turned out that it was in her best interest to abandon her post. Seeing dead patients, including her fiancé, reanimate, made her decide that she would be safer elsewhere.

She went from place to place, and after she hid out in a safe house for a week with other survivors, she realized that the situation would quickly become unsustainable, as their group was running low on supplies. She tried to convince the other survivors to give up their safe location, and move to a new location with more resources, but it turned out to be a futile effort. They were convinced that their safe house was the best way to fend off the zombies, and they wouldn't even consider her arguments.

That evening, Caitlin stole a crowbar, packed up the last of the remaining supplies, broke through the defenses, and sneaked out. Unfortunately, one of the other survivors hadn't been as vast asleep as she thought, and when he sounded the alarm it drew the zombies to their location. Instead of defending her fellow survivors, Caitlin ran as fast as she could, and left the others to die.

Post-Apocalypse Life
She continued to move from one safe location to another, for months on end. All this time the crowbar had been her trustworthy weapon and a useful tool to break into places. During her struggle for survival, she had also picked up a handgun, but found that ammo was hard to come-by, and she was currently down to six bullets. When she had attempted to use an assault rifle, the recoil had been far worse than she had imagined. The bullets that whizzed by her head, had nearly killed her, and she decided to stick to her handgun and crowbar instead.

Whenever she had the option between fight and flee, she would always chose to flee, due to a lack of confidence in her strength. Occasionally, that caused her to miss out on some great supplies, but she preferred to avoid taking risks whenever possible.

During the past year, Caitlin had become paranoid and wary of other people. She had survived several rape attempts, an angry cannibal, numerous gangs, and she had run from more zombies than she cared to count. Because of all of that, she had come to distrust people, and she couldn’t help but wonder what their ulterior motives were.

With most forms of entertainment gone, she picked up her old hobby of reading again, and, unless there were people she trusted available for socializing, she preferred to spend her spare time by reading a good book. Additionally, since reading didn’t make a sound, it allowed her to stay aware of her surroundings. At the first sound of trouble, she would stop reading and investigate what was going on. The habit turned out to be a lifesaver on several occasions.

Caitlin

It took me a bit longer, since I had to rework some of the biography, but I hope this gives a pretty clear image of what she's like. :-)

Eislynn

Okay. It's been a hell of a day to get to this point. First, work really sucked. If anyone ever tells you being a department head is fun, they're a LIAR. Then after a near miss when a car decided to pass me on a two lane road after I was already going 10 mph above the speed limit, I had my mirror dinged by a second jerk who passed me to run a stop sign because he didn't want to wait. That shook me up, and I didn't even get his plate number as he sped away. To top everything off, I got home to find I had a dead computer monitor. We had to rig an old CRT monitor to my computer using an adapter until my new monitor arrives. *Sigh*

That said, I am here to address the plethora of questions that came up while I was away so here goes:

Quote from: Caitlin on August 15, 2012, 07:58:44 AM
Sounds awesome, well, apart from the part where I need Apple stuff that is. :<

They released it on Android as well.

Quote from: Praxis on August 15, 2012, 11:40:14 AM
Do we make people that are brand new to the compund or part of the pre-existing compound?

Though this is extremely inspired by the App, this is an entirely new story. Your character should have no connection to Abel Township. This time, the setting is Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

On another note, great character so far. I'm pretty much ready to approve you right now, but I'll wait to look over anything else you might want to add. Fair warning, though. I'm extremely familiar with Pittsburgh, especially circa our setting. I'll be using many actual landmarks - Things that a geography teacher should know. I may be sending you a lot of google maps links:)

Quote from: Caitlin on August 15, 2012, 03:22:41 PM
It took me a bit longer, since I had to rework some of the biography, but I hope this gives a pretty clear image of what she's like. :-)

You have a very extensive character there. I really appreciate your attention to detail and making sure to focus on strengths and weaknesses. Nicely done. I do have a few minor continuity issues with some of your back story, but I'll PM you about those shortly. 

A few people have asked about post frequency - I want this to be a relatively laid back game. To avoid problems I've seen elsewhere, I would say not more than one post in 24 hours, and not too much less than one post per 72 hours without polite notice.

I believe that about wraps things up for now. If there is anything I failed to address that someone was waiting for an answer on, please PM me or post here again and I'll get to it as fast as my little fingers can manage.

TheRedFear

Name: Dominic "Deus" Vasquez
Sexual Preference: Hetero
Occupation (Pre-Apocalypse): Movie Stuntman/Fight Choregrapher
Personal Hobbies of Note: Mixed Martial Arts and Parkour
Description: You know the routine. Tall. Dark. Handsome. Etcetera, etcetera. About the only thing worth noting are the crisscrossing knife scars on his back. He doesn't talk about those.

History: Dominic grew up in an unhealthy living environment. One parent was a drunk. The other was a pill-popper. Both were violent when under the influence. So he found every excuse to stay outside. But he didn't get into trouble. He saw where that leads everytime he went home, and he'd be damned if he was going to set a single foot down that path.

Dominic found a relatively good crowd of thrillseekers to fall in with. One internet video later they formed a group of free-runners and started having a blast. Granted much of what they did wasn't particularly safe, but it wasn't criminal either. Well, maybe the occasional act of tresspassing in their search for challenging new environments and minor acts of vandalism but that's as bad as it got.

His athleticism caught the eye of a guy who ran the local fight gym. Dom couldn't pay for lessons, so he gave Dom a mop and a job, and started teaching him how to fight. One day he looked in the paper and saw an open casting call for male dancers in a music video. He showed up, impressed the producers with his moves, and the rest was history.

Dom legally emancipated himself from his parents when he was 16, got his GED, and began a career in the film industry. Before long he was one of the most in-demand fight choregraphers in the business, and even had a few small starring roles himself. His movies were low budget and direct-to-video but each had a cult following do to the incredible fight scenes and his growing reputation as a man who performed all his own stunts. He had just signed the contract to have a relatively major role as the villain in a big budget summer blockbuster. His agent was practically doing cartwheels, assuring him this was going to be his breakout role. He was well on his way to becoming an A-List action star.

Then some jackass let the zombies loose...

Runner?: YES(Number 2 if it isn't claimed yet)

Caitlin

Quote from: Katida desu on August 15, 2012, 07:41:55 PM
Okay. It's been a hell of a day to get to this point. First, work really sucked. If anyone ever tells you being a department head is fun, they're a LIAR. Then after a near miss when a car decided to pass me on a two lane road after I was already going 10 mph above the speed limit, I had my mirror dinged by a second jerk who passed me to run a stop sign because he didn't want to wait. That shook me up, and I didn't even get his plate number as he sped away. To top everything off, I got home to find I had a dead computer monitor. We had to rig an old CRT monitor to my computer using an adapter until my new monitor arrives. *Sigh*
I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck. :(

You might want to consider buying a lottery ticket though! When the good luck evens out the bad luck you could win big time. :p

QuoteThey released it on Android as well.
Unfortunately I don't have a smart phone, but maybe in the future I'll get one. As long as I can use it as an alarm clock, call with it and send text messages I'm okay. Although I'd like it if I had access to What'sapp, since all my friends are using it and it's become harder to stay in touch with everybody.

QuoteYou have a very extensive character there. I really appreciate your attention to detail and making sure to focus on strengths and weaknesses. Nicely done. I do have a few minor continuity issues with some of your back story, but I'll PM you about those shortly. 
Thanks! I'll work on rectifying things shortly.

QuoteA few people have asked about post frequency - I want this to be a relatively laid back game. To avoid problems I've seen elsewhere, I would say not more than one post in 24 hours, and not too much less than one post per 72 hours without polite notice.
This sounds perfect yes. Although I hope that those who don't post at least every 72 hours will get actively chased for posts as well. I'm only around E for a few months, but I noticed that once people get behind they have a really hard time to get back into the game as well. I'll gladly borrow you my broom to do the chasing with. :p

Caitlin

Quote from: TheRedFearOne youtube video later they formed a group of free-runners and started having a blast.
I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but youtube wasn't around yet 8+ years ago. :-s

My template is modified and updated. I think all the pm requests are implemented, but please let me know if there is something else that requires fixing. :-)

Oh, by the way, can I be either Runner 3 or 6? (I have a preference for 6 actually, but 3 would work too.) ;D

Caitlin

I caught up with all the templates of other people and it seems like Caitlin might already know the other two girls since she also studied at Pittsburgh University. She likely knows Carl from his visits to the hospital, where she worked as a nurse, or would at least recognise him from his regular visits. :)

Lyria

I am very interested in this if there is still room. If so, I'll work on getting a character to you some time today.
All you have is your fire
And the place you need to reach
Don't you ever tame your demons
But always keep 'em on a leash.           ons/offs