The Return of the Dragon King

Started by Sasquatch421, August 03, 2012, 06:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sasquatch421

Story: Another day.....Another lazy school year, a group of friends who dream of adventure and anime meet a new kid in class. Though on the outside this new kid seems happy enough when the friends look deeper they sense a depressing sadness to him. Taking it upon themselves they befriend him and try to show him the joys of the town they are in.

He smiles and laughs enough, but the sadness never really goes away. Then a week later as they gather for a session of games and their favorite anime shows the kid finally looks happier. That night they all dream of a distant land....Of a tyrant and innocent people in need of hero's. The dream then shifts to a sad looking dragon his emerald scales dull and his amber eyes fading of life. The dragon seems to look deep into each dreamer and tells them, "My people need help. Are you the ones that can free them? Will you help my only son take back this land from the tyrant?"

The amber eyes fade and the dragon passes away his body turning into emerald light and going into each dreamer bestowing them with power and his favor. That morning the friends are quiet trying to figure out what the dreams meant. Then a light glows from a ring that the new kid wears....

Other: I'm drawing from anime like InuYasha, Escaflowne and Fushi Yugi on this. The group of friend go to a new land to save their friend's kingdom. I was aiming for maybe 3 or 4 friends that travel to this kingdom and then actual people that live there.

The natives will help the friends  learn to use their gifts and train them to fight.

MzHyde

Sounds like the plot to Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

Sasquatch421

Never played that so I don't know... Is it a remake of FF Tactics or something different?

MzHyde

It's something different and terrible. Basically, the main character Marche has a brother, Doned, who is ill and confined to a wheelchair. He has two friends at school, Ritz, a girl born with white hair that dyes it red so she isn't made fun of, and Mewt, the shy and quiet kid who gets picked on for being the shy and quiet kid. Mewt finds a strange book that talks about a fantasy world and he brings it to Marche's place so they can all read it. In the night, the book turns the real world into the world of Final Fantasy's Ivalice. In that world all their problems seem to be fixed. Mewt is King, Ritz's hair is natural red, Doned is no longer sick and can run around and go on adventures. Marche fights to turn the world back to normal, despite enjoying the fantasy world himself. It's hardest with his friends, since they enjoy it too and Mewt especially looks at Marche's actions as ruining his dreams come true.

Belisuavious

Kinda reminds me of the old Dungeons and Dragons cartoon they did, except they don't get sucked through a portal under their bed.

Reivenn

I didn't think the plot to FFTA was that terrible. I enjoyed it anyway. It has quite a bit going for it, especially as far as character development, which you really don't see a lot of in most games.

That said, the premise for this game is sound and I'm willing to give it a shot as long as you have a developed plot in mind.
"Dapper lycanthropes... terrible, yet... refined... My only... weakness..!" -- Tycho, Penny Arcade

Reivenn's Ons, Offs and Ideas

Silk

I'd like to get in on this as well :)

Muse

You have my attention too, though it sounds like you mean to freeform it and I'm in a lot of freeform as it is... 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Shaitan

I'm greatly interested in joining up in this one, sounds like a really good one.

wolventears

I would love to play this as well if there is room.
In fear, I ran this way and that, the tastes of blood and chocolate in my mouth.

My yes please and not so much. ;)
And if you'd ever like to know why I was away for awhile

MzHyde

Quote from: Reivenn on August 05, 2012, 02:30:40 AM
I didn't think the plot to FFTA was that terrible. I enjoyed it anyway. It has quite a bit going for it, especially as far as character development, which you really don't see a lot of in most games.

That said, the premise for this game is sound and I'm willing to give it a shot as long as you have a developed plot in mind.

I never said the plot was terrible. I enjoyed it. The gameplay was terrible. It was too easy and the whole Law/Judge system was the worst thing to happen to Final Fantasy since Wakka.

Reivenn

My mistake, I didn't read the context carefully enough. And I wouldn't say it's the worst, FFTA2 actually takes a step backwards with the Judge system in my opinion. At least in FFTA it felt... I dunno, somewhat relevant. In the sequel it just feels completely arbitrary, which is disappointing.
"Dapper lycanthropes... terrible, yet... refined... My only... weakness..!" -- Tycho, Penny Arcade

Reivenn's Ons, Offs and Ideas

Silk

Is this still going? I was really interested in the concept :(

Panduhmoanium

If you're still looking for people I'd be quite interested.

Karasu

I liked FFT: A-2 better gameplay better story in my opinion.

FFTA was decent as a test run.
SEEKING Undertale/Deltarune RP, PM to discuss details.

Sasquatch421

Sorry about that guys my mind has been everywhere, but where I need it lately.... It is going to be freeform, since I've never done a system roleplay before and will probably do a small one for my first system. Whenever I think of one that is....

For this one I think 8 people will work. Four friend and four people from the land to give the friends a crash course in magic. Oh and you'll have to bear with me since I've decided it might be fun to go through nicotine withdrawl....

Panduhmoanium

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on August 09, 2012, 11:24:16 AM
Oh and you'll have to bear with me since I've decided it might be fun to go through nicotine withdrawl....

-issues stack of Panduh hug rations- use them wisely... All at once.

wolventears

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on August 09, 2012, 11:24:16 AM
Sorry about that guys my mind has been everywhere, but where I need it lately.... It is going to be freeform, since I've never done a system roleplay before and will probably do a small one for my first system. Whenever I think of one that is....

For this one I think 8 people will work. Four friend and four people from the land to give the friends a crash course in magic. Oh and you'll have to bear with me since I've decided it might be fun to go through nicotine withdrawl....

No worries, hun. Things happen. As for players, do you have a character sheet yet and all that jazz?
In fear, I ran this way and that, the tastes of blood and chocolate in my mouth.

My yes please and not so much. ;)
And if you'd ever like to know why I was away for awhile

Shaitan

no worries, it's understandable life happens just try not to step in it. Either way, my vote is one of the friends rather than one of the locals.

Sasquatch421

Quote from: wolventears on August 09, 2012, 06:05:12 PM
No worries, hun. Things happen. As for players, do you have a character sheet yet and all that jazz?

Doh! I'll get one together.... Watching my nephew tomarrow so I'll try and get one drawn up at some point....

Quote from: Panduhmoanium on August 09, 2012, 11:28:56 AM
-issues stack of Panduh hug rations- use them wisely... All at once.

I'll be sure to do that... Do they cover 700 dollar book fees as well?

Panduhmoanium

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on August 09, 2012, 10:09:13 PM
Doh! I'll get one together.... Watching my nephew tomarrow so I'll try and get one drawn up at some point....

I'll be sure to do that... Do they cover 700 dollar book fees as well?

Only if you get a super rare one, it has to catch fire as soon as you look at it.

Silk

No worries about the troubles, it happens to everyone at some point. But I am bit more interested in being part of the human friends group. Although off query, will the friends all come through as human, or would they deviate and become any of the races that are present in the other world? The adjusting to having entirely new bodies could also add another element to things as well as adjusting to a new world.

Sasquatch421

That is an interesting idea Silk. If they shift will totally be up to you all... A lot of people of the world are human like, but there are the fantasy races as well which I'll post below.

Races of the world of Sileona:

Elves: Elves gather small tribes in forests, windswept plains, and remote mountain vales. These secluded people prefer the natural world over the trappings of civilization and live in harmony with the wilderness. Elves are cautious warriors who fight constantly against the abominations stalking their lands. Expert archers and cunning warriors, they use guile and tactical cunning to secure their homelands. Though some do make for powerful spellcasters as well. The elves of the world are found in 2 different sub races..

~ Avariel or Winged Elves: The avariel make their homes in open areas, and take immense joy in flying. They absolutely abhor and detest being inside, underground, or otherwise restricted from the open sky. The avariel are known for their fierce clerical tradition, as devout worshippers of the sky goddess.

~ High Elves: High elves are the elves most commonly encountered by other races, and the most open and friendly of their kind. They travel to other lands more than other elves. They're generally dark-haired and green-eyed, with very pale complexions the color of new cream. They simply do not tan, no matter how much time they spend under Sileona's sun. High elves prefer to wear light pastels, blues and greens and violets, and often dwell in homes built into living wood, high in the trees.

Half Elves: Half-elves are said to have the best traits of elves and humans. Physically, they often share the metallic skin tones and rich hair colors of their elven kin. However, unlike the more slender elves, half-elves have sturdy bodies and bulky muscles. The combination of their force of personality and their physical presence makes them stand out in almost any crowd.

A half-elf's complexion, accent, and mannerisms vary according to his or her culture, though these are by no means an indication of an individual's home. Half-elves are found all through the lands, and many affect different accents and characteristics depending on the places through which they travel. Someone gifted in glib and adaptable speech is often said to have "the tongue of a half-elf."

Dwarves: If one travels into the mountains of Sileona they would most likely encounter a dwarf at some point. They typically live inside the mountains crafting fine weaponry and mining....When they aren't lifting a pint that is. They are a short and stout race who's beards are proudly worn. Even the females of the race have facial hair though theirs end up being a more fine lightly colored peach fuzz.

The Stout Folk pride themselves in the achievements of their people. Claiming that they stepped fully formed from the heart of the world, dwarves have much in common with the stone and steel they respect.

Mountain Dwarves: The most common of the dwarves. Taller and heavier than glacier dwarves, mountain dwarves are fair-skinned, with hair ranging from brown to blond, and red being the most common. Blue and hazel are the predominant eye colors.

Glacier Dwarves: Dwarves that reside in cold glaciers, mining a special material known as blue ice. These dwarves have great skill at crafting with ice and magical ice, and are tolerant to cold weather. Shorter then mountain dwarves they are also fair skinned, but their hair is usually either blond or white due to working with magical ice. Their eyes usually range from blue to brown....

Halflings: Creatures of the earth who love a warm hearth and pleasant company, halflings are folks of few enemies and many friends. Most halflings are content with simple lives, never gaining more prestige than the respect of their local community.

Halflings are sometimes referred to fondly by members of other races as "the good folk," for little upsets them or corrupts their spirit. For many, the greatest fear is to live in a world of poor company and mean intent, where one lacks the freedom and comfort to pursue his or her own life.

Halflings are easily distinguished by their small size, though they dislike being judged solely on account of their short height. Like humans, halflings have regional variations in facial features and complexions. They have the same general appearance as humans, except that their physical qualities are all diminutive. There are no sub-races for the halflings since they love to stay within almost any community.

Stories and tales of the past, regardless of whether they are true, fascinate halflings, and many such legends have lured half lings into fantastic adventures exploring ancient ruins and delving into the world’s deep places. Many halflings have an innate curiosity and adventurous spirit, which, on a small scale, leads only to local trouble and mischief. However, these traits also give halflings the potential to succeed as great adventurers, and more than a few have done just that.

Half Orcs: Half-orcs combine the best qualities of humans and orcs, though some would argue that the good qualities of orcs are few and hard to find. From their orc blood, half-orcs inherit great physical strength and toughness. They are fierce warriors, fleet of foot as they charge into battle.

Their human blood makes half-orcs decisive and bold, resourceful and self-reliant. They are adaptable and able to make their way in almost any circumstance. They are almost always the product of an Orc raping a female.

For all their good qualities, many half-orcs exhibit characteristics that polite society finds uncouth or undesirable. Half-orcs have little patience for complicated rules of etiquette or procedure and find little value in hiding their true opinions in order to spare someone's feelings. They enjoy the simple pleasures of food and drink, boasting, singing, wrestling, drumming, and dancing, and they don't find much satisfaction in more refined or sophisticated arts. They’re prone to act without much deliberation, preferring to overcome obstacles as they arise rather than consider every possible outcome and make contingency plans. These qualities lead some members of other races to consider them rude or crass, but others find their brashness refreshing.

They are often found in communities of other half-orcs. These communities are usually found out of the way of usual human settlements.

Centaurs: A centaur has the upper body of a humanoid, and the lower body of a horse. They are usually unclothed, except for a quiver of arrows and, in rare occasions, light armor. Centaur warriors are usually equipped with composite longbows and long swords.

Centaurs generally live in tribal hunter-gatherer societies. They have good relations with elves, being as they are both creatures of the forest. Their relations with elves are mutual, mostly trading gold and treasure from the tribe's horde for items in large supply in elven communities (mostly alcohol). Elves are welcome in centaur territory, and typically share land.

Combining the traits of humans and horses, along with their affinity for wilderness survival, gives the centaur incredible strength, slightly less than twice the strength of an average human and the dexterity of an average elven archer. They are also known for their astounding ability to take much punishment, and for their wisdom. They are as fast on land as a horse (usually up to 2000 feet a minute when running), and like dwarves and orcs, they have darkvision

Dragnborn or Half Dragon: Though incredibly rare in the world of Sileona the dragonborn can be found on occasion and are always the result of a true love between dragon and human.

They are an honorable people who draw strength from the hardships of their heritage and their resolve to survive. Dragonborn are a handsome fusion of dragon and human. Tall and muscled, gifted with strength, magic and great reserves of physical endurance, dragonborn are ideal warriors and spellcasters.

Nowhere does the race's sense of honor reveal itself more than in combat. A dragonborn always shows his enemies respect, giving his opponents the greatest due regardless of the cause that makes them foes. Few dragonborn would sully themselves by using treachery to defeat their adversaries, and they give each opponent the chance to acquit himself in the same honorable fashion.

Dragons: In Sileona the dragons differ from what people think of in our world. The color of their scales differ from dragon to dragon and do not have any sway on element or personality. All dragons have breath weapons of fire and ice though they will use other means before resorting to using them. All dragons are powerful and have great magical abilities that do get stronger as they get older.

However they are not evil and generally have their lairs away from populated areas. They can eat almost everything though they prefer wild animals and if they think their soon to be dinner is owned by somebody they will sometimes ask before eating it.

All dragons share a common desire to collect treasure, be it precious, beautiful, magical or just shiny - indeed, the treasure in question needn't always be gold, and may sometimes be aesthetic in nature, ranging from popular artwork or sculptures or even rare books and tomes that might otherwise have an overwhelming monetary value. Sometimes if a person approaches a dragon and displays great need, the dragon will sometimes part with some of it's treasure to help that person out.

When the dragon approaches the age when it becomes ancient it will some times become a Dragon King.

The Dragon Kings: When and ancient dragon becomes a dragon king he will watch over parts of the land that falls within his chosen territory. Generally he acts as a higher king which the kings of the kingdoms will turn to when they need advice that others can't give or help to settle some dispute. When the Dragon King nears death he will appoint a successor which is typically a son. If the chosen one isn't of age yet other dragons will watch and help until the successor comes of age.

Here is the character sheet:

Name:
Race: If Native or changed during transporting to the world
Sexual Preference:
Class:
Weapons and Spells:
Appearance: You can add pictures as well as a description if you wish.
History:

DarkRose15

Quote from: Shaitan on August 05, 2012, 06:08:21 PM
I'm greatly interested in joining up in this one, sounds like a really good one.
I'm intrigued but I might not be able to join up right yet...a very cool idea (and I love that Fushigi Yuugi is one of the references...it's such an awesome anime!)
Den of DarkRose: Ideas & Completed Games
Apologies & Absences *Updated 10/4/16*

Friends help you move; Real friends help you move the body.
Carl: Shh....do you hear that? That is the sound of forgiveness!
Paul: That's the sound of people drowning Carl!
Carl: That...is what forgiveness sounds like! Screaming then silence!

Sasquatch421

I loved what I saw of Fushigi Yuugi, but unfortunately can't find it to buy...