Soulblades - Sakura Fubuki University [Teachers wanted]

Started by AndyZ, July 05, 2012, 05:07:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyZ

As the legend goes, a young man named Tran was wandering through the countryside plying his trade, his faithful donkey Aribu helping to pull his cart.  As he got into a squabble with some of the local peasants about the price of a bag of rice, a wretched monster with three heads and seven legs rushed from nowhere to lay waste to the area.

Although the peasants had any way to defend themselves, Tran found a katana suddenly materialize in his grip, but the shock and horror of the moment gave him no time to ponder or hesitate.  He leapt at the creature with force beyond any normal human, slicing the beast clean in half.

The peasants stood in awe, calling the weapon a "soulblade" and plying him with gifts in exchange for his protection from such creatures.  This was the first instance in legend of the weapons, though others have appeared time and again throughout history, and quite a few weren't even blades.

The last such recorded incident was in 1872, where a cowboy fired all six shots of his revolver into a behemoth's hide to no effect, and threw the weapon at it in disgust.  Another such weapon appeared in his ready grasp, these bullets far more efficiently destroying the beast.

If anyone knows why there hasn't been such a sighting in over 100 years, few have said, though many simply attribute it to tall tales and legends, leaving it at that.  A few have speculated, though, that perhaps the monsters stopped appearing in order to stay wherever they exist beyond this world, forming an army.

There's the basic idea.  I plan on having this take place at a college, where all the students are only just arriving and getting used to their dorms and roommates.  I want to get both teachers and students, both of which will be able to manifest soulblades unless the player doesn't want one.

A soulblade can be any type of weapon that the player wants, and automatically grant the capabilities to use it to their bearer.  Modern weapons are permissible but will not be more powerful; an assault rifle will shoot more bullets, but between recoil and the energy of the soulblade, you're not going to be at an advantage over a bow or a sword.

On top of becoming stronger, faster, healing more quickly and so on, each soulblade wielder gains a singular power upon the first time they have a weapon appear in their hand.  The only real rule here is that specific trumps general: a character with "fire magic" will be much better at fire than a character with "elemental magic," and so on.

Soulblades also do absolutely no damage to humans.  If a weapon or projectile would otherwise strike a person, it vanishes, though weapons can immediately be called back.  This allows for training and sparring, as well as minimalizing infighting.

If this goes the way I hope it does, I'll be able to have teachers already know some things about what's going on and be able to keep the students informed.  (I'd also be good with a teacher who knows most everything about what's going on and can help explain, though I'd probably balance things by not giving that teacher a soulblade.) 

Students can have gotten scholarships to this college even if they don't know why they were given or even if their grades were terrible.  In hindsight, it may almost seem as though someone knew that everything was going to happen, and wanted to get these students together and all in the same place.

I can go into more detail on things or explain questions if anyone has any, but that's basically my idea.  Who's interested?

Oh, and I'm also looking for GM Assistants if any are reading and interested.

Answers to questions I've been asked so far outside of the thread, and reiterations I've felt might be useful:

I don't expect this game to focus on the erotic, although individual players are more than welcome to pair up (or triple up, or more) during the course of the story.

I expect this to be more along the lines of a story where individual people suddenly come into great power and have to deal with a massive threat, but focusing more along the lines of letting them be awesome and do crazy fantastic things than to try to limit those abilities too much off the bat.  I expect players to mostly end up around the level of anime heroes or superheroes, although if some attempt to stand head and shoulders above everyone else, I can step in.

You won't actually start with a soulblade, but you'll instantly recognize one when it later appears in your hand.  Think of it like vampires or werewolves: everyone recognizes the lore but practically no one actually believes in them.  In this game, soulblades are the kinds of things that parents tell their children about when they're scared of monsters in the closet.  Though, you're free to believe in them if your character would be the type to believe in that kind of stuff.

Projectile weaponry such as bows and guns would not have an ammunition limit, and throwing weapons would be able either to fly back to their wielder's hand or simply vanish to reappear there.

Weapons can be sentient if people want them to be.

Students should be 18, though you can give or take a year.  Varying beyond that will require some justification.  Teachers should be at least 25.

Teachers who focus on a specific subject should list that, putting "History Teacher" instead of just "Teacher" or whatever.

I'm going to put "Sexual Preference" in the character sheet just to avoid any issues between not having enough gender.  If we end up with more women than men but all the women are lesbians, we don't want new people thinking that we need more men.

I also threw in a code for those who want an easy way to post pictures.  Just put your URL where it says "Insert Picture Here," or remove it if you don't have a picture.

Character Sheet

[float=right][img]Insert Picture Here[/img][/float]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Occupation:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Sexual Preference:[/b]
[b]Description:[/b]
[b]History:[/b]

[b]Soulblade:[/b]
[b]Special Power:[/b]

Threads are up, but characters are still being accepted.  I just wanted to give the students a little bit of extra time to get things going, since they have to meet their roommates and all such.

Male Dorms: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=146208.0

Female Dorms: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=146207.0

Sakura Fubuki University: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=146210.0

Off-campus: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=146211.0

OOC Thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=145691.0

Character Thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=145695.0
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

AribethAmkiir

Interested.  Sounds like a really enjoyable concept.  I'm not sure if I'd want to be a student or teacher yet though.

Shadow Hunter

Hm. I might be able to get into this :)
Darkness will always triumph, for darkness is always here.
Ons/Offs
EX Fantasy(Mystic Forest) Devil of the Desert Pain, Pleasure and Gain Drenlai

Poke me if I've forgotten an RP

BruceTheCat

I'm interested in being a part of this, sounds fun!
“Also I've seen that movie, if they're any similar to it, then those guns do not fuck around, please take cover“
- scribus1000

Sessha

This looks like it could be fun so what the heck I'll throw my lot in as well.
Locked, cocked and ready to rock!

AndyZ

Looks like probably have enough people to go for it.  Added a few things and put a character sheet at the top post.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Iblis121

Looks interesting. Might join :]

Featherfall

Very interesting. I do have one question; say someone wanted to use a gun or bow or such, would there be a limit to their ammunition? Like say the soulblade was a six-shot revolver, would they only have 20 or so bullets a day or something like that?

AndyZ

Nope, no limit.  Whether the bow would appear with a quiver or whether the arrows would just appear whenever you pulled back the string would be up to you, though.

[Edit: You meaning the player, not the character.]

AribethAmkiir

Name: Nichole (Nikki) Drake
Sexual Preference: Heterosexual (Bi-curious)

Description: Red hair, hazel eyes and a sexy little smile are what most people first notice when they see Nikki.  At 5’6” and 130 lbs, Nikki looks very much like your typical co-ed.  She’s attractive enough, but has more of a “girl next door” look than starlet beauty.  Her long and slender body is well toned from running daily and her moderate curves are enough for the typical college guy to notice.

History: Nikki was the only child of Dr. Nathaniel Drake and Dr. Tiffany Drake and was born in Madison, Wisconsin.  Her parents, affluent medical doctors, raised Nikki and her siblings in a very proper and traditional lifestyle.  Nikki had a nanny until she was old enough to be sent away to a preparatory boarding school and grew up not really knowing her parents.  When she did see them, however, they lavished her with love and affection.

Sports became important to her around the age of twelve and she played soccer, tennis, and golf while participating in gymnastics and dance.  Nikki caved when her mother talked her into trying out for the cheerleading squad, until she grew enough of a backbone to quit and join the soccer and tennis teams.  She graduated fifth in her class and was accepted into a few very prestigious Ivy League schools.

It was the summer before college when bizarre things began to happen around her.  She began to grow paranoid and believed that people were watching her and things were following her.  In July her parents diagnosed her with schizophrenia and had her placed into a facility.  Two weeks ago, her parents suddenly changed their minds, diagnosed her as cured, and she was brought to a college she had never heard of before.

Nikki is still in shock from her stay at the psyche hospital and while she’s eager to get on to a regular college life she is having trouble trusting people.  She feels isolated, since everyone who knew her before thinks she’s a mental case, and is eager for an outlet.  She has stopped taking her medication because she feels like it makes her slow and stupid and has now begun feeling like there are things out there. 

Soulblade: A silver-blue chakram that can be thrown again and again without ever leaving Nikki’s hand.  The phantom chakrams fade as soon as their flight ends and damage is inflicted.

Special Power: Telekinesis

1SAZ

Interested. I rather like the concept over all and it reminds me of a online manga I used to read. In any case, count me in.

Muse

Sorry I didn't chime in earlier, dude.  I'm interested and will try and get you a concept tomorrow. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

AndyZ

Nichole (Nikki) Drake - Approved

KnightNelson20

KnightNelson20

Name:Damion Kingsly
Sexual Preference:heterosexual
Description: If his dark hair and blue eyes didn't get your attention. Damion also has a toned body standing at 6'0" and weighing 190pounds. Always seen with headphones in and his hood up he works out on his own every morning. He looks like the shy guy, but when you know him his personality is completely different.
History:Damion was born in Jacksonville, Florida. He was raised by his Aunt. (His mothers sister) His mother died giving birth to him and his father died from the pain of it all. Damion has no memory of them so it doesn't bother him. Thou his aunt always tells him, he has the eyes of his mother but his fathers intensity. What that meant was beyond him.

Damion always loved music. From the time he could make noise he was always beating on something. Must have been music to him. He picked up his first guitar at 10 and never put it down. He now knows how to play the guitar, piano, and drums. Music is his life. He had three close friends that he made a band with. He had plans for bigger things in the future.

One day while out at the mall looking for a new guitar a gang fight broke out. With one of his friends Amanda he tried to escape the violence. But a stray bullet came flying thru her shoulder right beside him. As he looked over at her time slowed for him. Watching as the bullet exited her shoulder, the blood splatter. He reached out and as he caught her all seemed to be normal again. Damion quickly picked her up and ran off to the hospital with her. To him the situation was just like in the movies. Time only slowed in his head cause it was dramatic to him. Time couldn't really slow. But as he sat in the hospital some men approached him. They invited him to a collage he had never heard of before. Though confused Damion only had one question. "How's the music program?" Money was tight at home and if this could get him into collage with a free ride he was gonna take it.

Amanda recovered and Damion left for his new school soon after graduation. He misses home and his friends greatly but wants to start his future. Beside's he's never been bad at making friends. It's only the first meeting that's awkward.

Soulblade: Sword pictured is what Damion's sword looks like. It is double edge'd and is the length of his body just as it is in the picture.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
To him despite its size it feels light. He can easily wield it with one hand.
Special Power:
Small time manipulation.
-Damion is able to use his powers in two ways. His first and most used technique allows him to slow his perception of time within a 5 foot radius of his body. Allowing him to react faster to anything that falls within it. This is not an auto response. Damion has to focus his mind in order to hold the power active. Though extended use may be bad for his body in the long run. He prefers to use it in short burst. It can not be used at the same time as his second ability but Damion is getting skilled at switching between the two.
-When Damion taps the out side of his blade it produces a low pitch ring that resonates out. Anyone hearing that  temporarily has their perception of time thrown off by a few seconds. This simply allows Damion to appear to move faster. To the person hearing it Damion would appear to be blinking from place to place as he moves as they can not correctly see him moving at a normal speed. Damion doesn't like using this ability as he constantly has to tap the blade to continue confusing them. The sound gives away where he truly is if followed.

-Demonstration of switching between two skills. Enemy attacks Damion. He uses his first ability to quickly avoid the attack then just as he avoids it he releases his first skill and taps his blade. The sound distorting his enemy he can quickly move for a free attack if they can't follow his movements.
-Weaknesses were as stated. Sound gives away his second ability. If you can follow it even though your sense of time is off your general knowledge of where Damion is doesn't change.
-And his first ability has to be activated. So if someone sneaks up behind him while his power is off he would not be able to slow time and react to it without warning. He can not see everything around him. Same goes for projectiles coming in from behind him. Even if his power was on it would slow in his mind but if he does not see it he can't react to it.

KnightNelson20

let me know if you would rather me have another power i have many in mind and can easily change my history. Also if anyone needs ideas for powers feel free to ask me im sure i can help you figure out something different than the normal.

AndyZ

KnightNelson20, while I have no objection to your character, I do want to make sure I understand correctly before I break out the Approved stamp.

Quote from: KnightNelson20 on July 06, 2012, 11:33:24 AM
-Damion is able to use his powers in two ways. His first and most used technique allows him to slow his perception of time within a 5 foot radius of his body. Allowing him to react faster to anything that falls within it. This is not an auto response. Damion has to focus his mind in order to hold the power active. Though extended use may be bad for his body in the long run. He prefers to use it in short burst. It can not be used at the same time as his second ability but Damion is getting skilled at switching between the two.

This seems to me as though he's able to concentrate and speed up relative to the rest of time, or at least change his perceptions so that things appear to happen in slow motion.  As an oversimplification, bullet time.

However, I don't really understand the part about the 5' radius.  Does it only affect things that enter that area?  Is he able to draw other people into the time distortion if they're within range?  Would he be able to dodge a sword but not dodge an arrow until the arrow came close enough?

-When Damion taps the out side of his blade it produces a low pitch ring that resonates out. Anyone hearing that  temporarily has their perception of time thrown off by a few seconds. This simply allows Damion to appear to move faster. To the person hearing it Damion would appear to be blinking from place to place as he moves as they can not correctly see him moving at a normal speed. Damion doesn't like using this ability as he constantly has to tap the blade to continue confusing them. The sound gives away where he truly is if followed.

This makes me think of a temporal displacer beast.  In D&D, a Displacer Beast has a constant illusion that it appears to be a couple feet away from its true location.  Anyone hearing your ring would think that you were a few seconds off in time from where you truly were, causing effects similar to trying to catch a ball in a room only illuminated by a strobe light or playing a video game heavily laden with lag, right?

I'm also a bit confused on the last bit about being able to follow where he is by the sound.  I thought that the sound was what was causing it, so the deaf would be immune and such?  Is it that aftereffects leave a light ringing, so that if he bolts for it, people can track him by that?  Or would it more be that the sound is what's truly happening, and people can hear it, but visual distortions cause the eyes to play tricks?

Iblis121

Working on my profile, should be up later.

KnightNelson20

Quote from: AndyZ on July 06, 2012, 12:28:23 PM
KnightNelson20, while I have no objection to your character, I do want to make sure I understand correctly before I break out the Approved stamp.

This seems to me as though he's able to concentrate and speed up relative to the rest of time, or at least change his perceptions so that things appear to happen in slow motion.  As an oversimplification, bullet time.

However, I don't really understand the part about the 5' radius.  Does it only affect things that enter that area?  Is he able to draw other people into the time distortion if they're within range?  Would he be able to dodge a sword but not dodge an arrow until the arrow came close enough?

Exactly. He can not react to or dodge anything until it enters that radius. But yes all your explanations pretty much are accurate. Thou he can not draw people into that radius. Think of if you've ever watch Naruto, the Hyuga  byakugan has one weakness in the back of their head. Yet even if someone fires at that spot if they turn their head and the projectile enters their vision they are able to see it and reflect. Think of that only if the projectile enters his radius and he sees it he is able to react to it. Once again only if he sees it. He in no way has 360 degree vision but the radius does surround him and is not limited to whats infront of him. He uses a sword so he is constantly trying to be close to his opponent. Allowing it to be effective to have a small radius over just being able to slow time. I wanted to insure my character had weaknesses seeing as when i thought of the power it seemed to strong just being able to control time. (i.e. slowing and speeding up time regardless of where enemy is)

QuoteAnyone hearing your ring would think that you were a few seconds off in time from where you truly were, causing effects similar to trying to catch a ball in a room only illuminated by a strobe light or playing a video game heavily laden with lag, right?

I'm also a bit confused on the last bit about being able to follow where he is by the sound.  I thought that the sound was what was causing it, so the deaf would be immune and such?  Is it that aftereffects leave a light ringing, so that if he bolts for it, people can track him by that?  Or would it more be that the sound is what's truly happening, and people can hear it, but visual distortions cause the eyes to play tricks?

The sound will be heard so yes people that are deaf would be immune to its effect. But it only distorts their sense of time, so yes it would in a way distort their vision much to playing a game with heavy lag or catching a ball in a room only lit by a strobe light. But the sound is a constant ring and until the sound stops the effect remains. That's why he has to constantly tap the blade to have it remain active. If they were to follow the sound it would always lead them to Damion's location because the sound resonates from the blade. More skilled fighters could use this to counter Damion. For example, being able to close your eyes and only fight with sound until the sound stops. Let me know if you have any more questions.

AndyZ

TheHangedOne

Name:Erik Vidar
Sexual Preference: Straight(disinterested)
Description: A powerful martial artist, he enjoys teaching others the importance of maintaining their bodies, and pushing themselves to surpass their self-imposed limitations. Kind, but strict, good, but not always nice. Wise, even beyond his years. He is also known to be calm, but capable of frightening intensity.
History: A trained martial artist from a young age, he has been obsessed with the ideas of perfection of the body, mind, an d soul (what he calls the Triangle of Power; mind and body making the bottom points, soul making the top point).

He once accidentally killed a man during Kumite. Even though the circumstances around the death resulted in him not even being charged with manslaughter, it left him shocked and changed. He refused, from that point on, to ever fight again.

He went to college, and  became a teacher several years after this incident, when he had been all but forgotten by the world, far too obsessed with the latest disaster or tragedy.

Despite his now adamant pacifism, he has shown himself to not be above maintaining his strict regimen of training, nor has he shied away from instructing and encouraging students to practice the martial arts for the purposes of self defense.

He is immensely familiar with the concept of the Soul Blade, as one of the founders of the school of martial arts he attended once wielded a knuckle duster Soul Blade, and much of his exploits, and many details of the weapon were recorded.

Soulblade: Will not come into possession of one.
Special Power: Unshakeable Endurance: A life time of pushing himself to his limits physically has made him a tough, hardened man indeed. His energy arises from no supernatural sources, this power is merely representative of his immense constitution and capacity to endure physical hardships.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

AndyZ

The only issue I have is that nobody's had a Soulblade for over a hundred years, so the founder wouldn't have had a knuckle-duster soulblade.  The founder could have diligently believed in them, though, and taught about them while discussing matters of discipline and such.

I take it you're going for the type of teacher who is powerful in his own right and would be able to keep up with the others, but isn't going to be outright superhuman and have his own Soulblade?  That'd definitely make a good teacher, especially as things get going.

TheHangedOne

Right; my assumption about the school is that it is a very, very old school of martial arts, hundreds of years old. Thus, it is possible that the founder had one; or, even if not, maybe over time the legend of the founder just got changed and "improved".

And that is correct. His pacifism will be an initial handicap, though. It might take one of his students being in danger to snap him out of it.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

AndyZ

Rysmarin

Just wanted to let my interest be known. Here's what I have for a character sheet so far. Still working on a history, but that'll probably be up later today, pending other circumstance. Edit: Tentatively finished. It seems a bit... scant to me.

Name: Reginald Alderson
Sexual Preference: Heterosexual

Description: Regi has rich brown hair, bright blue eyes, and has a smile as wicked as the devil himself. He stands at just over 6' 3", and his lithe frame belies the weight of his lean athletic muscle, leaving him at a mean 202lbs. Some might swoon over his rugged, devlish looks, toned arms and abs, and well bred lineage. Others might be appalled by his quick wit, sharp tongue, and... colorful vocabulary. Still, those who get to know him find out fast that he's friendly enough, if a bit rough around the edges most of the time.

History: Regi was a priviledged child, born into a rich, influential family. He was a well behaved and kind kid when he was younger... but as with almost all children, that changed with puberty. Regi became rebelious towards his structured life style, finally irritated by the rules, lessons, and expectations he had to tip-toe around to do anything at all.

So, when he was fifteen, he ran away. Of course, it didn't take more than a few days before he was forced to go back by a police officer. He hadn't even done poorly on his own, finding that his own artistic talent and the lessons he'd been given on the subject granted him much needed revenue, though he'd never admit to it to his mother. Nor could he admit to his father that his lessons in business had helped him barter for the necessities of life while he was "out on his own." He couldn't even say he didn't feel a bit guilty for making his parents worry for him enough to put together a search party and file a missing persons claim. But his time outside the walls of their mansion did change him.

He'd seen the world through jaded glasses, and knew what it was like to live below his parents standards. While it made him rougher around the edges, it made him a more... wholesome person. Far less the selfish, bratty child of wealthy parents and more an empathetic man seeking knowledge. After that, he had a clear goal in life. When he "graduated" from his home schooling, he got into college. He chose to major, unsurprisingly, in creative arts... but he also had a somewhat unanticipated eye towards teaching, taking education as his minor. He learned how to better his skill as an artist and and help others do the same through expressions of color, words, sound.

He got his degree and started drudging through the horrific state of being a stubstitute teacher, traveling and finding work where he could. Eventually, he was offered a real teaching job. Given that he was barely scraping out a living as a substitute, who in their right mind would have expected him to deny the chance to take up what was more or less his dream job?

Soulblade: A bardiche with an ebony handle, a shining, silvery blade, and glowing symbols.

Special Power: Illusionist.
He can create images and sounds from thin air... Or, more accurately, bend any light he can see or amplify and warp any sound. Effectively, he can approximately replicate anything he's ever seen or heard based on his memory, or "create" any sound/image he can imagine. Naturally, he controls whether or not they move or change, and how they do so.

An example: If he made a car, no one would be able to operate or even touch it. The lights would properly illuminate an area, but the rest of the car would simply appear normal. The doors would be able to open at his command, and it would sound fully functional, but if someone tried to grasp the steering wheel or sit down in the driver's seat, they would simply pass through the image.