News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

North Korea Vs. the U.S. Position in Asia

Started by Moraline, April 03, 2013, 09:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaggedLouise

The intelligence branch of the Pentagon have re-evaluated NK's technical capacity when it comes to delivering a nuke by a missile. They suppose, for the first time, with some “moderate confidence” (they think it's likely) that Kim's people have learned how to make a nuclear weapon small enough to be rigged onto a rocket and actually aimed at a distant location, though the marksmanship is not likely to be very good - nothing like cruise missiles or, still less, GPS-guided ones. - The report has been around for a few weeks, it seems, circulated around Pentagon.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/12/world/asia/north-korea-may-have-nuclear-missile-capability-us-agency-says.html?ref=global-home&_r=0

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Graceful

Living within 25 miles of Sacramento is getting more than a little scary - if there is an actual war and Kim's crazy enough to start firing nukes at California, I'm gonna be right near a big, juicy target. Makes me wish I didn't have obligations here and run out to Truckee and hang out in the back-woods tree hippie buddies I have in the mountains up there until things simmer down.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: AkiraRevile on April 11, 2013, 11:58:11 PM
Living within 25 miles of Sacramento is getting more than a little scary - if there is an actual war and Kim's crazy enough to start firing nukes at California, I'm gonna be right near a big, juicy target. Makes me wish I didn't have obligations here and run out to Truckee and hang out in the back-woods tree hippie buddies I have in the mountains up there until things simmer down.

I think if he can (and does) lob a nuke at California, it's more likely San Diego will be up higher on the list. Home to the Pacific Fleet, Special Warfare units, MASSIVE repair facilities and dozens of squadrons.. Sacremento would be on the list.. but I imagine that LA, San Diego and San Fran will be higher.

gaggedLouise

I imagine Cali would be a very, very long shot - just because they may have the ability to sling nukes by means of a missile doesn't mean they have the technical skill to do it on a distance of 8000 km or something, and get it on target in that kind of pitch. They have never even successfully launched a missile with that kind of range, and have no routine at all in using that stuff as weapons in anything simulating a war situation. Japan or Guam would be much more likely. But those are bad enough.

Healergirl

Nk missiles may be able to reach Guam, but can they hit it? I'm perfectly serious, Guam is a big island, but actually hitting a target at those range is a far from trivial technical problem

gaggedLouise

Apparently Kim's people said they were going to nuke Tokyo first, but that's almost certainly empty threats. If they tried that, they would trigger some kind of massive retaliation, plus the Tokyo area will be protected by a good deal of ABMs and radar, so the chance of any NK rocket hitting target there would be very small.

NotoriusBEN

This from the washington post: http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-04-03/world/38241106_1_north-koreans-missile-threat-defense-secretary-chuck-hagel

Of the listed Anti missile systems that the US has, they are considering moving a couple of THAAD systems (basically overpowered patriot missiles) to Guam, but have already moved a couple Aegis-class warships to interdict any missiles from the North Koreans.

Nothing is confirmed if/where/when stuff is there, but Im sure the government has it's bases covered and ducks in a row at the moment on anything short of invasion.

gaggedLouise

On resources and systems the U.S. has on the table to shoot down a nuclear missile in flight:

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2013-03/us-says-it-could-stop-north-korean-missile-how