What will you never play again?

Started by Inkidu, August 25, 2009, 06:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

I don't think I'm going to buy any more PC games.

Oh, PC. In many ways you were doomed to fail from the start. Sure you boast better controls and graphics but lets face it those things are marginalized these days when the consoles are closing the gap you used to have with them.

Sure you have your die-hard fans who will valiantly fight for your worth until carpel tunnel takes the last of them down.

Lets face it consoles are idiot proof. You don't have to upgrade them every two months to play a new game and they have rumble.
The biggest factor though. I can return my Xbox games when they bore me. PC games are like signing a contract in blood, but it's worse; it's money.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

tuckers02

Yeah, I used to be a master of FPS on the computer back during the days of Rainbow 6 and Rogue Spear.  Then the consoles got broadband and it all went to hell.  The controls are sluggish (impossible to turn with a thumbstick like you can with a trackball) and there's not enough buttons (3 fingers aren't even used with a controller when I had it set up on the keyboard that every finger had 3 keys so a hell of a lot more actions without taking your thumb off the trackball).  But nobody plays on the PC anymore, only on the consoles.

Inkidu

That's because no one wants to press a bazillion keys and learn to use a trackball mouse (my experience... they suck). Most people don't even notice a difference (a real one) from what I've polled in controller and mouse. It's all about your sensitivity setting really.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

tuckers02

I love trackballs.  You can spin in place without ever having to pick up and move the mouse.

I liked my bazillion keys.  keys on one hand, trackball and button on the other.  I liked using the right side of the keyboard with the arrow keys and number pad better then the asdw setup myself.  More room and less hitting the wrong key.

Inkidu

You wouldn't believe how much they lose out on not having rumble, or the staggering number of people who by console remotes for their PCs. Hitting a bazillion keys and shaking a mouse are bland by comparison to the visceral feel of console remotes and good rumble scripting.

tuckers02

If they added a few more buttons and put them where we didn't have to move our hand from the thumbstick, it would improve the controller a lot.

Inkidu

Quote from: tuckers02 on November 21, 2010, 09:56:55 PM
If they added a few more buttons and put them where we didn't have to move our hand from the thumbstick, it would improve the controller a lot.
I think it's more realistic. Sure I have to thumb down to the d-pad to change my weapon but what soldier on the planet can instantly pull out his pistol without dropping his rifle? None I know of.

tuckers02

True, but you can still be turning while you're dropping your rifle and pulling out your pistol.  If you take your thumb off the thumbstick, then you stop moving for a second.  i think the newer games do a good job with how long it takes you to switch weapons.  I know MW2 does and it bugs the hell out of me how slow it is to switch from my rifle to the stinger missile...or how long it takes to recover from swinging with your knife, which I do inadvertently at the worst time all the time.

Oniya

Quote from: Inkidu on November 21, 2010, 09:52:39 PM
You wouldn't believe how much they lose out on not having rumble, or the staggering number of people who by console remotes for their PCs. Hitting a bazillion keys and shaking a mouse are bland by comparison to the visceral feel of console remotes and good rumble scripting.

I have to say, the rumble-scripting is a definite plus for console games.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Hunter

tuckers02

To me it seems like they made DnD 4E into a tabletop version of WoW.  That's not what I play DnD for.  If I wanted mindless combat, I'd play WoW; but I don't and that's why I don't play WoW.  Once of my favorite DnD characters is a pacifist healer that refuses to join in combat.  With 4E rules where a Cleric has to attack in order to heal, that is an impossible concept to play.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: tuckers02 on November 21, 2010, 11:38:19 PM
To me it seems like they made DnD 4E into a tabletop version of WoW.  That's not what I play DnD for.  If I wanted mindless combat, I'd play WoW; but I don't and that's why I don't play WoW.  Once of my favorite DnD characters is a pacifist healer that refuses to join in combat.  With 4E rules where a Cleric has to attack in order to heal, that is an impossible concept to play.

Just wait I'm sure they'll MMO-ify DnD even more. I figure we got another year or two before they start prepping for 5e.

Pathfinder is pretty good for what it does.

tuckers02

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 21, 2010, 11:55:49 PM
Just wait I'm sure they'll MMO-ify DnD even more. I figure we got another year or two before they start prepping for 5e.

*Cringes in fear*

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: tuckers02 on November 22, 2010, 12:00:13 AM
*Cringes in fear*

It's the Hasbro tie in.. they expect higher profits, Wizard's original owners sold it to them RIGHT after 3es release where they had the HUGE game release profit was still on the books.

Nyarly

Quote from: tuckers02 on November 21, 2010, 11:38:19 PM
As I see it, DnD was always about mindless combat. Sure, it became more complex and had more possibilities over time, but it was always mostly designed as a hackfest. It deserves  acknowledgment as the first pen and paper RPG and it makes a good template for video games, but as an actual RPG it falls flat.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Nyarly on November 22, 2010, 01:50:33 PM
As I see it, DnD was always about mindless combat. Sure, it became more complex and had more possibilities over time, but it was always mostly designed as a hackfest. It deserves  acknowledgment as the first pen and paper RPG and it makes a good template for video games, but as an actual RPG it falls flat.

Actually that is where teh GM comes in. Any game can be a hackfest.

One game session I did was a murder mystery. The players were 'cops' and had a code of behavoir they had to follow and even a miranda rights they had to follow (complete with the elimianation of detect truth and such).

They found the bad guy, arrest him and claimed the reward.

Another game I did was a long running take on the Guardians of the Flame game, they were the 'Chainbreakers League' and were trying to find a way to destroy the Company of the Iron Column a group of slavers that tried to sell them into slavery at the beginning of the campaign.

It had some hack and slash, but it also has players making deals with smaller towns, consolidating them into a group that could help them bring the war to the big bads who ran the slaver nation to the west.

Nyarly

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 22, 2010, 03:20:34 PM
Actually that is where teh GM comes in. Any game can be a hackfest.
What makes you think that I'm not aware of this?

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Nyarly on November 23, 2010, 12:28:14 AM
What makes you think that I'm not aware of this?

You said it always a hackfest, I merely offered a few of the games I did that I managed to keep it from becoming one.

Nyarly

I didn't say that it's a hackfest, I said that it's designed as one. Of course, you can play a lot of different styles with it, but so you can with other systems.

CaringGuy

Kirby's Epic Yarn.

It isn't that it's a bad game persay, it just puts me to sleep.  The graphics are adorable and the soundtrack is really infectious, but the gameplay itself is so unforgivable easy that it causes me to nod off.  A really cuddly waste of potential platforming goodness, but I would suggest it for anyone who is new to 2D platformers.  I myself have no intention of touching it again.

Inkidu

Kirby is usually reserved for the younger set. I've never been challenged by a Kirby game in the years surpassing the age of about seven. That's when I beat Kirby: A Nightmare in Dreamland's hardcore mode.

Wolfy

Quote from: CaringGuy on November 23, 2010, 03:03:10 AM
Kirby's Epic Yarn.

It isn't that it's a bad game persay, it just puts me to sleep.  The graphics are adorable and the soundtrack is really infectious, but the gameplay itself is so unforgivable easy that it causes me to nod off.  A really cuddly waste of potential platforming goodness, but I would suggest it for anyone who is new to 2D platformers.  I myself have no intention of touching it again.

Can you still copy powers? Does he still get different hats?

Tiaan

I regret buying Enslaved, I was so looking forward to it, Heavenly Sword is still one of my all time favourite PS3 games and Enslaved had the potential to be just as awesome but in my opinion it totally failed. Where Heavenly Sword had a few pages of combo moves to learn with each of three different weapon modes Enslaved had very basic hard/quick attacks that didn't really form combos with a few minor upgrades that made the combat as a whole very limited and repetitive. Couple that with the same 3 or 4 enemy types repeating throughout the whole game made for a very poor combat experience. The voice acting was good and so was the motion capture - the way the main character moves was quite breathtaking - but the storyline was not very engaging to me.

I haven't met anyone who enjoyed Heavenly Sword as much as I did so I wonder what other people, who perhaps didn't have such high expectations, thought of Enslaved?

CaringGuy

Quote from: Wolfy on November 24, 2010, 06:03:49 PM
Can you still copy powers? Does he still get different hats?

You gain different powers to use in certain sections, but it isn't like in past Kirby games where you get the powers from the enemies you suck up.  There's actually no 'suck' ability at all, but it makes considering the game's setting.

Hunter

Quote from: CaringGuy on November 24, 2010, 08:19:28 PM
There's actually no 'suck' ability at all, but it makes considering the game's setting.

That sounds so wrong....