Who do you trust? (Pathfinder)

Started by Erato, July 06, 2014, 05:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erato

Who do you trust?

On the surface, things appear to be another normal day in the nation of Neroda from the perspective of the average person.  However for you, life has been flipped completely upside down. You were recently arrested for a crime you did not commit and ended up spending the night being interrogated by authorities. Unexpectedly, you have just been released; someone unknown to you, paid your bail, and left a strange note requesting your attendance at a local pub. The note gives directions to a private and dimly lit back room in a bar called “The Slaughtered Prince”. If you choose to attend you will find a few others there for the very same reason.

This campaign is a sort of blackmail situation where your characters had some involvement in a crime either by witness or direct action which caused you to befall into disfavor of a very powerful individual, shrouded by mystery. You are being given an opportunity to work off your debt, or risk losing what matters most to you.

Things to consider before signing up for this campaign:
1) This isn’t going to be a sexually driven campaign.  While there will be room for character romances, seduction, and honey pot missions along the way, sex is going to largely remain a secondary aspect of this campaign.
2) Keep in mind this is a subterfuge campaign that will largely be taking place within an urban environment.  That said, I don’t want a party full of Rogues and Rogue archetypes; in fact, I will only be choosing one Rogue class in the party at most.  The best way to secure a spot in this campaign is to be creative with builds, archetypes, and feats in a way that is not only well suited for cloak and dagger stuff, but also unique in a way that intrigues me.  I will always choose an interesting character over a min-maxed character.
4) Roleplay is going to be a huge aspect of this game; diplomacy rolls will only help to engage in a conversation, but dialogue is where the real magic happens.
5) I will be playing a bard character in this campaign, so don’t worry about filling that position.
6) Place ‘porcelain’ somewhere in your character submission so I know you read these guidelines.
7) You can hold off on distributing your skill points, selecting your gear, and other detailed things until you get selected so you don’t spend a ton of time only to have it be for naught.  Please submit a Myth-Weaver or Plothook character concept.
8) Teamwork is very important for this campaign, there will be a number of Ocean's Eleven-esque missions that will need both creative puzzling skills as well as someone to take a proactive leadership role when on said missions.

3-4 Players (that will be selected by me from the list of applicants rather than first-come first-serve)
Pathfinder (anything in the SRD aside from psionics, firearms, and 3rd party stuff)
Setting: Medieval-esque society
Any core race.
Starting Level: 6
Hit Points: Max first die, roll for the following 5 levels (reroll 1s)
Starting Wealth: 16,000gp
25 Point Buy
2 Traits from different categories

The misdeed you committed or witnessed is not what you have been brought in for. However you are not completely innocent. Either through intentional forethought or by inadvertent happenstance, you have tweaked the nose of a powerful, and unknown to you, individual. You can come up with your own misdeed, whether it’s taking something that didn’t belong to you or sleeping with someone you shouldn’t have, or let me come up with one for you. Regardless, a misdeed will have to be submitted with your character sheet.
In the game of chess the Queen protects the King.

Foxfyr

You can count me as interested; I will figure out what type of character I want to play sometime today or so.

Ghostwheel

Sounds interesting. Bookmarked :-)

Blinkin

Will you allow a class from the Advanced Class Guide (In it's current form)? I love Swashbucklers and they fit well into urban settings and are well known for getting into trouble just by looking at it.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Erato

Quote from: Blinkin on July 06, 2014, 05:47:24 PM
Will you allow a class from the Advanced Class Guide (In it's current form)? I love Swashbucklers and they fit well into urban settings and are well known for getting into trouble just by looking at it.

Can you post up the class specs? It's looking good but I need to see it first.

Blinkin

Quote from: Erato on July 06, 2014, 05:58:33 PM
Can you post up the class specs? It's looking good but I need to see it first.

I sent it to you in a PM, it's a bit long to include everything here.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Bibliophilia

I like this idea.  I'll look into making up the character concept.

Autocad

As it involves undead, I'll run this by you first.

Haunted bones Oracle with a penchant for supernatural and undead, and the raising thereof. A good bluffer to keep it secret if necessary.

Sinestra

So just a character concept? Alright then... this young lady was from my Mythweaver's character archive. I've purposefully left off her sheet, as requested... and because she was initially created as a level 21 character for a very specific game. Lol :) Not quite sure if this picture is the one I'll use... some people like their porcelain skinned elves, some like off-colored skin... but for the moment, this will do. ;)

Character Concept: Many elves take their love of nature to the extent of protecting the beasts of the wild from the constantly encrouching machinations of humanity. Their arrows piercing the invader's hearts and the trauma shaking the mind of trespassers into the protected woods of the elves. Sometimes however an elf will turn her attentions not to nature, but to the desires of those they once spurned.

Trappers, Fur Traders and the like are a constant source of luxury and income for the most wealthy of nobles of human kingdoms. From the most tame deer, the most ferocious bear, and even the most exotic of scaled beasts, the hides, skins and furs of the realm's rarest creatures fetches high prices on the open market. But the best profits are made on requests by the most influencial noble families, their desire for the rarest furs, hides and scales for their latest outfits driving their greed every onward.

Shandrisa appeared a hunter of circumstance. Trained by the forest lords in the manner of nature's methods, she had taken to the bow and blade as any other elf in the land would. Over the many years she encountered races not of her own, and while their lives were short lived, she was intrigued by the brief candle-like lives of nearby human cities. Spending time within their walls, usually against the wishes of her lords, she learned of their ways and in return taught a few chosen taverners her ways, even if they could barely remember let alone practice them.

It was weeks later when a noble and his son approached her with a request, to bring them the fur of an elusive white tiger from the nearby kingdom of their enemy. Though she was hesitant, the humans offered her immense sums of money and with her new love of luxury, she could do little but agree. Since that day Shandrisa has worked almost exclusively for non-elves, finding her deeds unacceptable and exile-worthy from her own lords. She has developed a world-wide reputation as being a tracker and trapper of the impossible. Hunter of beasts that supposedly could not be slain. A reputation she had, perhaps, not quite earned... but one she was not above letting slide to help her business.

As the years slipped on, she became more ruthless in her methods to bring in larger and larger bounties. A large beast with valuable fur might take a dozen arrows or more to fall, but a beast no matter the size, might well fall in one or two poisoned, or even magical arrows. To this end, she found herself learning to navigate the underworlds of humanity, finding her elven shape to be an uncommon yet highly prized attraction. With a few words of common said with a certain cooing tone, she could get many humans to do as she asked... though to acquire all of her supplies, sometimes theft itself was required. But little of it mattered... all that came to matter to her was the next hunt... and the next chest of coins.
"I don't mind that most fictional women look like they have F cups at minimum. I do, however, mind that their brains aren't nearly as... 'developed'."

Ebb

Can you say a little about whether any particular alignments wouldn't work with this setup? I was considering doing a Monk, parkour-ing their way around the city. But if we're going to be engaged in Ocean's 11 type criminal mischief then that would be hard to reconcile. Unless the local government was itself corrupt, I guess.

VonDoom

Hmm. Definitely interested. I'll see about PMing a character writeup soon.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Blinkin

For the hell of it, here's a swashbuckler's concept. I'll wait until something is decided on this part before moving on to the actual character generation.

On a side note, I cannot use either Mythweavers or Plothook. It has to do with being blind (See that note in the information about me above) and the sites not being accessible enough with all of the unlabeled fields.

Anyway, here she is...

Physical Description: Standing at 5’7, Tari is a leggy woman with an athletic figure that none the less shows off soft, womanly curves. Her mass of thick, dark curly hair frames a heart shaped face that is dominated by large, intelligent dark gray eyes, a full, slightly pouty lower lip and a chin that stops just a shade short of being too stubborn. Her lightly tanned complexion and softly upturned eyes gives her an exotic beauty that seems to match her unconscious grace when she moves. Normally dressed in a cream colored tunic under a dark blue jacket that does nothing to hide the rounded mounds of her C cupped breast,, her leather pants are tucked into high, dark brown turned over boots; a weapons belt hangs low on her rounded hips with a rapier on her right hip and a matching dagger on the left.

Personality: Tari is a fascinating blend of outrageous flirt and bold, even reckless seriousness. If you’re a friend, you’re a friend for life and none other will be as loyal as she will. If you are an enemy… well… no one will be as loyal to the cause of getting even either. If you’re fun, you’ll get a time that you’ll never forget. In spite of her conflicting personality traits, she holds a set of morals and principles that can be absolutely depended on to hold true… exactly what those are may sometimes be in question, but never that she’ll follow them. She has a mischievous streak a league wide and a love of anything the least bit exciting and new… this can range from a new place to a new man (or woman) for a night of wenching and drinking… Hey, women can wench; they just call it something different! When the times call for seriousness, however, her mind is focused on whatever needs to be done and although she may trade witty comments and barbs with the opponent, she never forgets that it’s life and death… and she intends for her and hers to walk away with the life category. Often sweet and funny, she’ll happily sit down with the same “bad guy” for a civil conversation at a tavern simply because it’s the civilized thing to do and good conversation is good conversation… as long as the rules of courtesy are obeyed. Then, the next morning, do her best to best said bad-guy with her blades… unless the point of the fight isn’t to kill each other, but she’ll fight just as hard all the same… If you want to beat her, you’re going to have to work for it!

Background: Tari is the youngest daughter of Baron Phenael Gravante, and admittedly, the apple of his eye. Even though she continues to disobey him and avoid suitor after suitor with some skill, she knows that She would not inherit from the family and must make her own way in the world if she wants to be free.

Tari, following the example of her 4 older brothers, gravitated to the ways of the warrior and her fascination with the blade has led her to no small amount of trouble and, because she is a woman, an unorthodox method of training. When her father’s Man-at-arms refused to teach her, she went out on her own and discovered an old rogue who, for a price that shouldn’t be spoken of in polite company, taught her the ways of light blades and speed, of movement and stealth when many of her opponents will be larger and stronger than she is… to face anger with a sort of glee that is shown in the way that the tongue can taunt and tempt the enemy to act without thought… where her own body might be a lure to act without wisdom… to be bold and wait for the subtle moments. Along with the sword play, she learned much about the underside of the world and while she would never be a thief, she is aware of the professionAnd may know a bit more than she should  about it.

Tari recently had a not overly pleasant encounter with a nobleman’s son, who while in a drunken state, made certain unwelcome and inappropriate physical contacts with her person. In the end, the only way to get rid of him was to threaten him with bodily injury… and the drunken idiot took her up on it. The young man’s unfortunate injury was regrettable, but it was either be raped or be dead and she didn’t care for either result. Besides, she tends to think that men with scars and a little bit of a limp could be sexy... under different conditions.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

SheerFantasia

Sounds intriguing!  Is there a closing date for character submissions?

Cataclysmic Archangel

I'm interested as well.  haven't read it all yet, but know Pathfinder, and wanted to say so BEFORE I took too long.

Edit:  Alright, I've read more.  First off, Porcelain. :)

That being said, I think I like the idea of running an Inquisitor.  Probably something edgy and dark and not so Lawful... so when someone accuses him of offing a bad guy, it's not a very far leap, and he ends up taken in...

VonDoom

Well, darn, didn't notice that Bard was already taken from the very start on the first read. Guess I'll have to think of something else. Is Summoner a viable option for this game? I'm aware that a lot of people dislike or restrict the class.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Green Goo Theory

Makes me wish I hadn't deleted all of my unused character sheets.  I have a perfect character for this!

Mechanically i forget exactly how he was set up but he had been a human alchemist raised by gnomes (there was some racial feature or something for the class that made it work).  He wasn't a full blown tinkerer like gnomes but he did obviously love his trade and was occasionally messing around as a con man.  'cause seriously, you need to make money somehow and alchemy isn't cheap!  He also had a penchant for getting into pissing contests with dwarves (and dwarves specifically) and even dealing with drinking contests that he always lost that kept him locked to the porcelain god for the rest of the night. 

Or at least that's the stuff I had in my head.  I never actually got to play the character.  The table i built him for ended up having an alchemist submitted before mine and I didn't want to deal with the redundancy. 
Coming soon...

Anon315

I imagine a Keyser Soze figure in the background. Color me intrigued (which is a shade of magenta).

Erato

Quote from: Autocad on July 06, 2014, 09:16:21 PM
As it involves undead, I'll run this by you first.

Haunted bones Oracle with a penchant for supernatural and undead, and the raising thereof. A good bluffer to keep it secret if necessary.

That type of Oracle should be fine.

Erato

Quote from: Ebb on July 06, 2014, 11:44:31 PM
Can you say a little about whether any particular alignments wouldn't work with this setup? I was considering doing a Monk, parkour-ing their way around the city. But if we're going to be engaged in Ocean's 11 type criminal mischief then that would be hard to reconcile. Unless the local government was itself corrupt, I guess.

If you're lawful neutral it should be okay. You don't necessarily have to follow the law of the land, though there is a fair bit of corruption in the guard anyway.

Erato

Quote from: SheerFantasia on July 07, 2014, 05:28:48 AM
Sounds intriguing!  Is there a closing date for character submissions?

I plan to pick players by the weekend, so maybe submit something by Friday at the latest.

Erato

Quote from: VonDoom on July 07, 2014, 01:13:08 PM
Well, darn, didn't notice that Bard was already taken from the very start on the first read. Guess I'll have to think of something else. Is Summoner a viable option for this game? I'm aware that a lot of people dislike or restrict the class.

I am relatively new to DMing and a summoner might make things a little too complex for me at the moment.

Erato

Quote from: Arcannyx on July 07, 2014, 07:47:50 AM
I'm interested as well.  haven't read it all yet, but know Pathfinder, and wanted to say so BEFORE I took too long.

Edit:  Alright, I've read more.  First off, Porcelain. :)

That being said, I think I like the idea of running an Inquisitor.  Probably something edgy and dark and not so Lawful... so when someone accuses him of offing a bad guy, it's not a very far leap, and he ends up taken in...

Inquisitor should work fine :)

Erato

Quote from: Blinkin on July 07, 2014, 05:10:31 AM
For the hell of it, here's a swashbuckler's concept. I'll wait until something is decided on this part before moving on to the actual character generation.

On a side note, I cannot use either Mythweavers or Plothook. It has to do with being blind (See that note in the information about me above) and the sites not being accessible enough with all of the unlabeled fields.

Anyway, here she is...

Physical Description: Standing at 5’7, Tari is a leggy woman with an athletic figure that none the less shows off soft, womanly curves. Her mass of thick, dark curly hair frames a heart shaped face that is dominated by large, intelligent dark gray eyes, a full, slightly pouty lower lip and a chin that stops just a shade short of being too stubborn. Her lightly tanned complexion and softly upturned eyes gives her an exotic beauty that seems to match her unconscious grace when she moves. Normally dressed in a cream colored tunic under a dark blue jacket that does nothing to hide the rounded mounds of her C cupped breast,, her leather pants are tucked into high, dark brown turned over boots; a weapons belt hangs low on her rounded hips with a rapier on her right hip and a matching dagger on the left.

Personality: Tari is a fascinating blend of outrageous flirt and bold, even reckless seriousness. If you’re a friend, you’re a friend for life and none other will be as loyal as she will. If you are an enemy… well… no one will be as loyal to the cause of getting even either. If you’re fun, you’ll get a time that you’ll never forget. In spite of her conflicting personality traits, she holds a set of morals and principles that can be absolutely depended on to hold true… exactly what those are may sometimes be in question, but never that she’ll follow them. She has a mischievous streak a league wide and a love of anything the least bit exciting and new… this can range from a new place to a new man (or woman) for a night of wenching and drinking… Hey, women can wench; they just call it something different! When the times call for seriousness, however, her mind is focused on whatever needs to be done and although she may trade witty comments and barbs with the opponent, she never forgets that it’s life and death… and she intends for her and hers to walk away with the life category. Often sweet and funny, she’ll happily sit down with the same “bad guy” for a civil conversation at a tavern simply because it’s the civilized thing to do and good conversation is good conversation… as long as the rules of courtesy are obeyed. Then, the next morning, do her best to best said bad-guy with her blades… unless the point of the fight isn’t to kill each other, but she’ll fight just as hard all the same… If you want to beat her, you’re going to have to work for it!

Background: Tari is the youngest daughter of Baron Phenael Gravante, and admittedly, the apple of his eye. Even though she continues to disobey him and avoid suitor after suitor with some skill, she knows that She would not inherit from the family and must make her own way in the world if she wants to be free.

Tari, following the example of her 4 older brothers, gravitated to the ways of the warrior and her fascination with the blade has led her to no small amount of trouble and, because she is a woman, an unorthodox method of training. When her father’s Man-at-arms refused to teach her, she went out on her own and discovered an old rogue who, for a price that shouldn’t be spoken of in polite company, taught her the ways of light blades and speed, of movement and stealth when many of her opponents will be larger and stronger than she is… to face anger with a sort of glee that is shown in the way that the tongue can taunt and tempt the enemy to act without thought… where her own body might be a lure to act without wisdom… to be bold and wait for the subtle moments. Along with the sword play, she learned much about the underside of the world and while she would never be a thief, she is aware of the professionAnd may know a bit more than she should  about it.

Tari recently had a not overly pleasant encounter with a nobleman’s son, who while in a drunken state, made certain unwelcome and inappropriate physical contacts with her person. In the end, the only way to get rid of him was to threaten him with bodily injury… and the drunken idiot took her up on it. The young man’s unfortunate injury was regrettable, but it was either be raped or be dead and she didn’t care for either result. Besides, she tends to think that men with scars and a little bit of a limp could be sexy... under different conditions.

The swashbuckler should be fine. Since using Plothook or Mythweaver would be difficult for you, you could submit a character sheet however is most convenient.

Erato

Quote from: Anon315 on July 07, 2014, 09:54:29 PM
I imagine a Keyser Soze figure in the background. Color me intrigued (which is a shade of magenta).

;)

Cataclysmic Archangel

Stupid question time: Plothook / Mythweaver?