GM Lounge - Bartenders Answer All Your Questions

Started by HockeyGod, January 02, 2012, 03:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelsmiter

Hello I'd like to drop in and say that I'm on a tablet and sometimes hit links accidentally when I'm scrolling. If you moderators get a report from me about someone that is blank, I'm sorry for the report. The person did or said nothing wrong. Please forgive me and do not persue the report.
I don't play in PMs
Who wants to join an incest registry?
O/Os
Download RPGs I wrote on my Discord!
So anyway I guess I'm steelsmiter on fetlife now. Hit me up and tell me you're from E!

Moraline

Quote from: steelsmiter on July 20, 2013, 03:27:02 PM
Hello I'd like to drop in and say that I'm on a tablet and sometimes hit links accidentally when I'm scrolling. If you moderators get a report from me about someone that is blank, I'm sorry for the report. The person did or said nothing wrong. Please forgive me and do not persue the report.
Just send a quick PM to one of the names in purple or red from the list at the bottom of the forums. (Those are the staffers that are online.)

Chrystal

Quote from: steelsmiter on July 20, 2013, 03:27:02 PM

If you hit "report" accidentally, it opens a window for you to fill in, that you can back out of. I know this because I have actually reported a post before - basically asking for it to be removed; someone posted a comment in a one-on-one RP, and at the time I was a lot less confident about PMing them to ask them to remove it!

Anyway, point is it's a lot harder than you think to report a post by accident, but if you did, then do as Mora said.

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

steelsmiter

see I'm not sure if I did, the box came onto the screen and I clicked something... I don't know if it was the report button or some other link on the page but I'm pretty sure it wasn't to back out of the page. It's possible that clicking on another link backed me out anyway. it's also possible that I sent a blank report.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os
So anyway I guess I'm steelsmiter on fetlife now. Hit me up and tell me you're from E!

Chrystal

Well, your best bet is to pm one of: Mithlomwen, Kyrsa, Beguile's Mistress, HairyHeretic or Vekseid.

Personally I would talk to BeMi or HH, because I've dealt with them before, but I'd not bother Veks with it as he's probably busy!

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

HockeyGod

Quote from: steelsmiter on July 20, 2013, 04:13:40 PM
see I'm not sure if I did, the box came onto the screen and I clicked something... I don't know if it was the report button or some other link on the page but I'm pretty sure it wasn't to back out of the page. It's possible that clicking on another link backed me out anyway. it's also possible that I sent a blank report.

If you clicked a report link in this Board, I also receive them and I did not receive anything.

steelsmiter

I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Chrystal

Quote from: alxnjsh on July 20, 2013, 05:53:00 PM
If you clicked a report link in this Board, I also receive them and I did not receive anything.

Really? I didn't know that. Is that the same for any "orange badge" holder? So if one eventually manages to run a groupm that gets the 1000 posts, and someone reports a post, the GM gets the notification?

(You can tell I've never got one that big before)...

HockeyGod

Quote from: Chrystal on July 20, 2013, 06:33:01 PM
Really? I didn't know that. Is that the same for any "orange badge" holder? So if one eventually manages to run a groupm that gets the 1000 posts, and someone reports a post, the GM gets the notification?

(You can tell I've never got one that big before)...

As far as I know, yes. I've had it happen once in a past game and once in this board.  ;D

Edit: I should let everyone know that I typically ignore these as they are issues that staff should investigate. I am just here to keep things tidy and all 'round joyous.  ::)

Chrystal

*wanders in, waves to all the folks who yell "Hey Chrystal", takes her usual seat at the bar and orders a Bacardi and coke*

So, here's a question: What do you do when the game you started has taken off, and you are really enjoying it, but you find it is taking up too much of your time?

The obvious answer would be "get a co-GM", but I have one. I suppose I should delegate more of the work to her, but I'm not really sure what to delegate...

Oh and if anyone is wondering, I'm referring to the game Autumn Rain and i are running called "Corruption: How far Will You Go?"

Moraline

Grats, Chrystal. Glad to hear that it's doing really well.

I say ask her what additional tasks she's willing to take on. The easiest way to delegate is to ask them what they want to do then just trust them with it..

Chrystal

Hmm...

Well, it's doing okay. a quarter of the way to big group status. *shrug*

Having a problem with ep 4, that two players seem to have dropped out before it started, leaving me below the minimum. *sigh*

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Chrystal on September 21, 2013, 06:14:56 PM
*wanders in, waves to all the folks who yell "Hey Chrystal", takes her usual seat at the bar and orders a Bacardi and coke*

So, here's a question: What do you do when the game you started has taken off, and you are really enjoying it, but you find it is taking up too much of your time?

The obvious answer would be "get a co-GM", but I have one. I suppose I should delegate more of the work to her, but I'm not really sure what to delegate...

Oh and if anyone is wondering, I'm referring to the game Autumn Rain and i are running called "Corruption: How far Will You Go?"
I'm sorry, but my best answer is "suffer". IME, the GM getting into zeitnot is the number one reason of games folding.
Haven't had to drop a game, but it tends to lead to slower posting from me, since off-line duties do come first, as they should.
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Chrystal

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on September 22, 2013, 03:03:37 AM
I'm sorry, but my best answer is "suffer". IME, the GM getting into zeitnot is the number one reason of games folding.
Haven't had to drop a game, but it tends to lead to slower posting from me, since off-line duties do come first, as they should.

Hmm...

Yeah, I was thinking last night about this. The IC roles that our two characters - hostess and assistant - have are pretty fixed, and there's no way to spread them any differently, plus Autumn's character "Kitten" is already doing a large part of the actual running of the show. OOC, we share the job of inventing the challenges, I maintain the spreadsheet that shows who is where, and also lists the challenges for each episode.

The only task I could really delegate further is approving new characters. That one we actually share a bit, because I will consult Autumn if I cannot decide whether a character is okay or not. And I do actually allow her opinion to influence my decision, which should go without saying, but it surprised me, when I was dubious about a character and she said it was okay, so I approved it!

Anyway, my point is that I guess the Mentat is right again... I'm just going to have to suffer the slings and arrows... *eyeroll*

AndyZ

Sounds to me like you need a bit of a break.  Can you get Autumn to take the job of inventing the challenges and/or maintaining the spreadsheet for a week in order to give your brain some time to refresh?

Failing that, get a second Co-GM.  No reason to stop at only one, and a new brain can offer all sorts of possibilities that hadn't even been considered before.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

HairyHeretic

Any L5R GMs had a look at the alternate settings in Imperial Histories 2 yet? Some very interesting ideas in there. I've only skimmed the book so far, but L5R in space is quite an interesting setting.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Chrystal

Okay, so...

Merry whatever-holiday-you-prefer to all.

Mulled wine all round?

Moraline

I accept your mulled-wine and raise you one sprig of mistletoe and a Christmas kiss.

Merry Christmas!

Chrystal

I call your Christmas Kiss and raise you a snuggle under a blanket in front of a roaring log fire.

Hazy Sky

I have the beginnings of what I think might be an interesting group idea, but I'm currently struggling with how to make some aspects of it workable. I have never been a GM, never used any systems or sets or rules and am frankly at a bit of a loss to know where to go with this idea. Is there anyone who might have the time and interest to pass on some of their experience and answer my questions?
I apologise if this is not the right place to make this kind of request, but I'm not sure where is.
Looking for and accepting new stories.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Chrystal

This is the exactly right place, Skyre.

First of all, may i direct you to something my friend Moraline came up with, admittedly with a lot of suggestions from other people, but it was her idea....

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=164265.0

That thread gives you a long list of hings that you may wish to include in your recruitment thread.

The next thing is to get down to brass tacks. Do you want o run the game as system or freeform?

The advantages of system games are many and there are others here better qualified to give them, as I've never run a true system game, nor participated in one. However, as I see it, a system is required if you expect to have a large amount of Player v Player or Player v Environment combat, in which player characters can get killed off.

If your intent is for the game to be mostly smutt based or story based with PCs only dying if the player drops out, or a sandbox with the same criterion, then freeform is probably the way to go. It is still possible to have PvP in a freeform game, but it takes a little more planning and maturity on the part of the players!

I would suggest creating an interest check thread first. Detail your idea, and the characters - or types of characters - you require, give a broad outline of the story if there is one, and take it from there. Always reserve yourself a couple of posts at the start of the thread to add detail to later.

If no one else is interested, then you've not wasted a vast amount of time. If you get enough interest, come back here and ask us what to do next!

*chuckle*

Actually, the next step is usually to create a blank character sheet for interested players to fill in, but most of us will add that when we know we have people interested.

If you are unsure whether to do system or freeform, you could ask that question in the recruitment/interest thread once people are interested, or even in the initial post itself.

One thing I would suggest for your inerest check thread: Make it colourful. Put a nice big colourful picture at the top, under a bold, colourful heading. It grabs people's interest beter than a wall of text.

Hazy Sky

Chrystal! Wow, a friendly or at least familiar face. :)
Looking forward to having our hunters encounter each other in that snow and ice game that should be starting soon.
Nice to know that I found the right place to ask for help. I will read the thread you have suggested and take all of that on board and come back if I have any questions.
Thank you so much.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Chrystal

I try to be friendly, if not too familiar! *grins*

Not sure when I ended up serving drinks here though.... *giggles* I guess it's really a case of knowing what ingredients to put in the glass and how long to shake it for, and if no-one else is about, I will do my best to serve....

What's that, sir? You'd like a Sex On The Beach? Certainly sir. Would you like a Sand In Your Crack to follow it?

(Sorry, old cocktail waitress joke, those are two genuine drinks)

Hazy Sky

I totally got the joke without the explanation. Clearly I've been hanging around in cocktail bars for waaaaay too long. :)
To go with your metaphor I have a few ingredients that I think might be interesting together and I was worrying about whether or not to put a little umbrella in it or not when perhaps the glass it is served in is, at this point, more important.

To go back to your cocktails joke personally I prefer a mouthful of slippery nipple. :P

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: skyre on January 10, 2014, 06:35:14 AM
I have the beginnings of what I think might be an interesting group idea, but I'm currently struggling with how to make some aspects of it workable. I have never been a GM, never used any systems or sets or rules and am frankly at a bit of a loss to know where to go with this idea. Is there anyone who might have the time and interest to pass on some of their experience and answer my questions?
I apologise if this is not the right place to make this kind of request, but I'm not sure where is.
First, everything that Chrystal said is true, even if we could get into a long philosophical debate on some finer points :P. That would be nit-picking, however.
Second, tell us more about your idea, I'd try to answer at least the system questions to the best of my knowledge.
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!