News:

Main Menu

A bit overwhelmed

Started by EdwardThatch, October 05, 2016, 11:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdwardThatch

I was eagerly looking forward to getting my application process completed and jumping into the deep end of the pool.  Now I must admit looking at the site in its entirety I am a bit overwhelmed and confused.  I'd love anyone who would be kind enough to reach out and discuss the site or maybe just chat about some simple basic things in life till I can feel my way around a little better.

Nico

Hello! :-)

I pretty much felt the same after I was approved. My first reaction was like "OMG that place is huge" and I felt quite overwhelmed myself. But - I can reassure you that it's all half as bad and scary. Not at all, in fact. Yes, there are tons of different threads, topics and whatnot but if you take it easy, browse around and take some time to find your way around, you will see that it's all very un-scary!

Maybe you can start at what you are looking for and what you want to do?

RedRose

Hey!
Go slow, explore and you'll get used to it! I felt the same in the beginning.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Vulnicura

Trust me, I think we've all been there. This place can be downright labyrinthine. I've been here for months now and I'm still getting the hang of things. Here's a few basic tips:

1) Talk with your mentors. Trust me, they're wonderful and can likely give you a better rundown of things than anyone else.

2) Something that helped me a lot was going from forum to forum and reading a few posts in each to get an idea of what each section was all about.

3) When you're good and ready, start putting together an On and Off thread and follow that up with a Request thread. No need to be fancy about it, but feel free to study up a bit on the coding while you're at it if you want to make things look pretty.

That's just some basic stuff off the top of my head that may help you navigate around a bit. I hung around a lot in Adult Socializing when I first started because it seemed like a good way to dip my toes in the water. :) I'm not mentor and I'm probably not the best person to give advice, but feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions at all! I would be happy to help.

HannibalBarca

Elliquiy is much like life--it's the journey, not the destination.  Take it at a measured pace, and it will be a rewarding and rich experience.
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Sara Nilsson

Welcome to our insanity :)

You already filled out your on and offs so that is a great start. As said poke around a bit, see what each subforum is about. Then look in the one on one solo roleplays wanted and look at the various threads, get a feel for how people advertise what they want to play and then have a think about what you want to get started with storywise.

Perhaps you see an idea that tickles your fancy, then send a pm to that person about it and see what happens. Or your muse gets inspired and you want to make your own thread. I found that structuring my idea thread in a very personal manner has helped me get replies from likeminded people. Remember we have lots of different tastes and styles here, some want quick and dirty sex where posting speed is more important then post length, others.. well they prefer longer more flowery posts but less concerned with speed. Try and find out what you prefer :) If you like longer posts having your idea thread be basically:

i want the following

teacher/student
mom/son
doggysitter/tentaclemonster from space

well that might attract the people you are perhaps not interested in.. If you get what my poor tired brain is trying to say :)
Don't be afraid to ask quests, or ask for help :) We are all friendly... well.. most of us. *evil grin*

PennySludt

I was EXACTLY the same! My BIGGEST advice is to minimize all the sections! Go one by one as you're comfortable. Start out in a forum you're interested in. Say you like light romance; open that board and browse a little bit. Maybe read some stories, explore a little bit. Once you feel like you know where everything is, open the next board. It makes everything a lot smaller and easier to manage, plus, when you're comfortable with a section, you sort of get a present in opening the next and exploring it! All the boards on the left are the ones you had access to before you were approved, so maybe keep those up, and close the rest. Taking one thing at a time makes it a lot more fun. It took me two months to figure that out and until I did, I kind of didn't like it here! I was so overwhelmed. So I completely understand how you feel. I hope you do get comfortable, just like I did. And if you EVER need anything, my box is open :-)
May Evaporate Without Warning, But It Doesn't Mean I've Dropped The Game! I'll Always Notify If I Don't Want To Continue!

EdwardThatch

Thank you everyone for your kind words of encouragement.  I will take them to heart and utilize them to try and find my way around.  Again, thank you all.

Pumpkin Seeds

Elliquiy is sort of an organic thing.  Explore and let your mind wonder to whatever catches your eye.  Don't take things personally and just enjoy yourself.  I have been here for a pretty long time and if I start going all over the place the site can still be overwhelming.  Just a great barrage of ideas, people, personalities and stories.  Don't be afraid to step back and center yourself either.

Giantmutantcrab

Like someone far more intelligent than me said earlier...

Speak to your mentors. Speak to the staff. Ask questions ans listen to the answers. Click around and take notes. And take your time.

Have fun.

Kaspider

I do like the fact that this site has decent people. That alone is the best seller for me.
I don't see the future. I don't worry about the past. Now's all I have.