The Portal Between Worlds; A Pathfinder Adventure.

Started by Blinkin, April 15, 2014, 04:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metro Mech

Was mine good? and did you like the Background of the Collage student?
Currently looking for a RP? Why not give my Thread a little look see, see if you can't find something you like?
A/A <- check here if I haven't replied in some time
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
Behold my O/O

Blinkin

"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Chaeronea

Guys, I've thought this over and I'm withdrawing from this game. If a spot has been kept aside for me, allocated it to someone else.

Blinkin

GM Note:

When interested players send in character(s), please include at least a brief history of the fantasy character and a brief personality  overview. A "Doesn't like bad people and quiet." won't do it.

Note, the above quote was NOT sent in by anyone, it is merely an example of the fact that more thought needs to be put into it.

A final decision of the players selected will be made on Wednesday, April 23, 2014. I regret that there ar only 5 slots and no slot is being held for anyone in particular. Everyone has an equal chance to get into the game, but if I don't have completed characters, it won't help you get in.

As of this moment, the following classes have been offered, or implied to be in the works

1 fighter
1 sorcerer
1 Inquizitor
1 oracle
2 rogues

I am not opposed to doubling up on any one of the classes, and no selections have been made, so you can still offer ay of those above, or something else.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Muse

I'm generating the characters now. :)  (She'll be a sorceress.  She's coming together now.) 

I'd like your permission to take a feat, Blinkin.  It's printed in Psionics Unleashed, but it is not a psionic feat. 

Open Minded:  The character gains an extra skill point every level.

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Ebb

Quote from: Muse on April 19, 2014, 06:42:42 AM
I'm generating the characters now. :)  (She'll be a sorceress.  She's coming together now.) 

I'd like your permission to take a feat, Blinkin.  It's printed in Psionics Unleashed, but it is not a psionic feat. 

Open Minded:  The character gains an extra skill point every level.

Blinkin has already added a new feat called "Rogue's Skill":

New Feat: Rogue’s Skill: This feat grants the character the skill points of a rogue at each level advancement, regardless of class. The character looses their normal class skill point amounts as a result. This feat must be taken at character generation, at 1st level.

Effect: The character trades his normal skill point allotment for his class for that of a rogue’s skill point amount. This Does not grant any other bonus such as class skills or other bonuses.

That's 8 points per level plus Int bonus. Probably better than taking Open Minded.

Blinkin

Muse,

As Ebb has so helpfully pointed out, the Rogue's Skill feat (homebrew feat of my own) grants you a sizable increase in skill points, and if the character is human, you can also take Fast Learner, which also grants you the hit point as well as a skill point (or any two of the three options for favored class), I'm thinking that the open mind feat may be redundant. However, if you want to take it, send me the full text of the feat and I'll consider it.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Callie Del Noire

I'm curious about the gods in the game. Would there be a Cayden cailen type for my Rogue?

Blinkin

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on April 19, 2014, 09:57:48 AM
I'm curious about the gods in the game. Would there be a Cayden cailen type for my Rogue?

The gods being used are the ones from the Pathfinder Pantheon.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Ghostwheel

Quote from: Blinkin on April 19, 2014, 10:56:07 AM
The gods being used are the ones from the Pathfinder Pantheon.

So the campaign/world/etc is actually set in Golarion?

Blinkin

No, it's my own world, I just hate trying to create a pantheon and the Pathfinder Gods are so handy for these things... plus, I can't see the maps and can't tell you where jack shit is in that world. It's easier to use my own from my mind's eye.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Muse

Oh!  That's right, thank you for reminding me! 
And yes, I did in fact take Fast Learner for her other 1st level feat.  :)
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Melange

I might be jumping the gun a little, since we won't know who has been accepted for a few days. But wouldn't it be helpful if we described our characters a little? When I've been in games where we're supposed to know each other from the beginning, the ones that thrived were the ones where we discussed our characters and came up with anecdotes they could tell and interests they could relate. The ones where we didn't do that tended to die very quickly.

Since someone has to go first, I suppose I'm going to have to volunteer!

Name: Kayla Mortimer
Sex: Female
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual
Major: Architecture

A sophomore at the university, Kayla has been part of Professor Merdin's group since last fall. She was introduced to the group by her boyfriend at the time, Mike, but he stopped attending when they broke up. Since then she's been a regular, missing a night now and then, but in general you can expect to see her at the student union on Fridays. She has a heavy course load this semester: physics, introduction to architectural design, world history, and mythology.

She usually brings food of some type, usually a packet of cookies, and a thermos of tea. Jasmine tea is her favorite, and her corner of the table is usually scented with it.

Kayla is on the shyer side during sessions, but can be quite vocal when her interest is piqued. That generally means one of two things: castles, and elves. Her current character is a half-elf rogue, though she has been considering playing a bard instead.

She tends to sketch buildings while waiting for others to take their turns. Her character sheets inevitably become covered with fanciful drawings and designs.

Possible image for her RP character

Melange

Also, am I reading this right? 28 point buy? That seems pretty high, since I'm used to 15 points.

Belisuavious

That's what I thought too, but I got unlucky on a couple rolls, so I won't complain too much haha

Muse

I've finished my RPer.  Do I put her in here? 

Elspeth Sanderson
Name: Elspeth Anika Sanderson
Sex: Female
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual
Class: Senior
Major: Art
Double Minor: Creative Writing/Astronomy

Description:  A slender, ginger haired girl with bright green eyes and a long ponytail, Elsepth stands 5'5” and weighs 125 pounds.  Her body is sleek and slender with gentle curves and pert little breasts. 

Not terribly curvy or particularity outgoing, Elspeth was nonetheless raised with a sense of presentation and style.  She favors subtle makeup and blue eye shadow.  She owns several nice dresses and woman’s suits and often wears them to class—especially on test days or when giving a presentation. 
   Elspeth's casual wear leans towards snug jeans and green keyhole necked crop tops.  A line of tight tummy from above her hips to above her naval and the golden cross dangling bellow the hollow of her throat is about all the skin Elspeth is comfortable showing.   At the hottest parts of summer she trades her jeans for knee length skirts. She enjoys breaded bracelets and playful hair styles.
   Even the 'little black dress' she let a few friends buy her for her eighteenth birthday falls most of the way to her knees and obscures most of what such a dress would normally show with lace. 

Personality: Very much a product of her upbringing, Elspeth seems a paradox. 
   A home schooled bible belt Mormon, she attends church regularly and enjoys doing so.  Even after four years in high school, she's never experimented with a drug harder than mountain dew—not even tea or coffee.  She's a virgin and intends to stay that way 'til marriage.  She kissed a boy once, but broke off the encounter when it got too hot, leaving her feeling guilty.  She kissed a girl once.  It felt inocnet, and very good.  It wasn't 'til the girl puled her bikini off that Elspeth realized what was happening and fled to the nearest church to pray for forgiveness. 
   The image of a fundamentalist christian 'nice girl' actualy stops there.  She's nervous about proselytizing and dreads doing her missionary work between graduation and going back for her masters degree.  Elspeth rolls her eyes at people who claim the bible is an accurate representation of science or history.  She is perfectly comfortable with her holy books being divinely inspired parables, written thousands (or hundreds in the case of the Book of Mormon and Pearl of Great Price) of years ago by dozens of different people—and revised repeatedly as God revealed new truths to the writers. 
   Elspeth has been a gamer since she was old enough to read the Players Handbook. Her family played D&D together every Monday night for most of her life, sometimes with friends.  They didn't see fictionally characters praying to fictional gods and working miracles in their name as a threat to their beliefs.
   While other college kids go wild in various ways as they establish their own identities away from their families, Elspeh is far too busy studying, painting, reading, and writing too go to parties.  About the only time she's not studying, Elspeth is either at church, conspiring with other perspiring comic book artists and sketch club, reading fantasy, or at her weekly RPG. 

Hobbies:   Elspeth doesn't have hobbies anymore.  When she first started drawing, painting and writing comic books, it was for fun alone.  These days it's her school work and one day—she hopes—her career. 
   Well, she does still game and read extensively on her Kendel. 

Background:  Elspeth was born in Odessa, Texas to Brenda and Michael Sanderson.  Named for a character from a Mercedes Lackey book, she has an older brother—Chris, a younger brother, Skiff, and a youngest sister, Aiden. 

Brenda has an advanced science degree and owns a bookstore and tutoring service.  Michael was often a stay at home dad.  All four children were intelligent and benefited from one on one attention with their teachers.  On top of this, Chris and Eslpeth were especially hard working.  Chris got his high school degree at 14 and is currently doing his masters degree in physics at MIT while acting in community theaters  Eslpeth graduated at 15 and came here to study the arts and also astronomy.  It is her ultimate goal to become a successful independent comic book writer.  Skiff graduated at age 16 and Aiden—currently 13—is doing high school level schooling while exercising the power of cute over anyone and everyone susceptible. 

Game Nights:  Over the last four years, Elspeth's game characters—like the topics of her comic books—have become increasingly outlandish and risque.  She likes to bring a chill 12 pack of mountain dew—half of which she shares. 

When she first met Kayla, the redhead's cheeks colored a little and—for the first time in her life—the redhead was embarrassed about turning down tea.  To say she has a repressed crush on Kayla might (or might not) be overstating the case, but she likes the blond a great deal and has invited her to her sketch club.  She's also very attracted to her.  While she can usually manage to ignore this fact, the pictures she draws of Kayla—and of her character—reveal her attraction. 

Elspeath doesn't have enough money to pitch in as much on game nights as she would like.  She makes up for it by keeping an illustrated campaign journal and offering to do character portraits. 

Last summer, she did character portraits on commission, ranging from 50 to a hundred dollars.   Through somewhat frugal use of the excess profit, she's been able to eat much more healthily now than in most prior times in her life and afford the ocasional indulgence. 

Hm...  So there's already a sorceress applied?  Perhaps instead of a pure sorceress, then this girl will be an aspiring Dragon Disciple...  That will give her a little extra physicality when she gets to he class without too much loss of spellcasting or special abilities. 

Blinkin

Quote from: Melange on April 19, 2014, 09:50:45 PM
Also, am I reading this right? 28 point buy? That seems pretty high, since I'm used to 15 points.

Nothing wrong with your eyesight. ;) It is a 28 point buy. It's above the average, but when I rolled out scores, 4 out of 5 sets, plus both sets from characters that I have seen, were well above that when converted into point buys. I think the average was in the upper 30's. So, even an old school straight 3D6, you were looking at near 28 points.

I would also point out that PC's should be a cut above the rest of their kind. I hesitate to use the term heroes, even if they may of shown heroic tendencies. This is because my view of heroes is that they are made, not born and a hero is, to me, an unfortunate person who was in the wrong place at the wrong time but did the right thing without thought to him/herself.

Anyway, everyone can certainly share generalized information about their college students. I THINK everyone has offered them by now. *tapping Muse* I would suggest a limited exchange at this point since no one has known each other for more than a few months of 4 or 5 weekly sessions of playing someone else. What you shared Melange, is fine though... Just don't become a mentat on me and start muttering about spice, lips and speeding the mind. ;)

My general view of characters is that the majority of the character should remain a mystery for a variety of reasons. You do learn certain things via play, and the fantasy characters have been adventuring together for about 2 years IC time and know each other fairly well, but most will have something of a plot hook waitng for them in the wings that no one will expect if something is held back.

I would also announce that I have beeen contacted by two other players who have never shown up on this thread and may not.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Blinkin

Quote from: Muse on April 20, 2014, 03:29:33 AM
I've finished my RPer.  Do I put her in here? 

I would rather that you hadn't of done that. PLEASE read the GM request, Muse.

I appreciate the detail put into it, but it'll be hard to fix if one or the other of the characters don't make the cut.

Still, spilt milk and so on. Thanks for the submission
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Muse

Ack! 

I did review the GM request thread.  I couldn't find the information. And I was somewhat fatigued by working on her off and on for 20 hours! 

I'll move her to a PM now.

Melange

Wow Muse, your character is quite a study in contrasts. Um, so based on the last couple of posts, I wasn't supposed to see that. But since I did see it, I wouldn't mind a connection between our characters. I'd like if they were friends, with Kayla joining the sketch club. More than that? We'll see when the actual game begins, assuming we're both accepted. :-)

schnookums

things got crazy this weekend (so much for actually having days off) but I should have a concept tomorrow if that's alright.

Ghostwheel

Might be best to hold off on connections until we know who got in and who didn't :-3

Blinkin

You have time Schnookums, I won't make a decision until some time Wednesday. At this point, I have 3 completed characters to choose from and 7 partials. One of those back out last night though, so I'm back to 6. Just don't schnooker me. ;)

Muse, your RPer concept WAS an interesting contrast, I'll wait to see the actual character to see how it all works out.

I've been asekd twice for a text character sheet, and I'll put the one that I use below. It's not in the same order as plothook or mythweavers, but it has all of the important items that you'll need. and if you need to improvise something, just squeeze it in.

character sheet

Name:                Player:
Race:                Sex:
Class:                 Favored Class: 
Level:              EXP:
Alignment:             Next Level: 
Measurements:          Weight:

Ability Scores:
STR:    (+) Carry: L: , M: , H:
DEX:    (+)
CON:    (+)
INT:    (+)
WIS:    +)
CHA:    (+)

Saving Throws:         Combat:
Fort: +         HP: /
Reflex: +         Init: +
Will: +         Speed: 30’

Offense:            Defense:
BAB:+/+            AC: 10
TAB: +/            AC (Flatfooted): 10
Ranged: +            AC (Touch):10
CMB:+            CMD:
AC(Special):

Class Skills
Total   Skill (Ability) (CS+Abil+Mod+SP)
   Climb (STR) ()
   Craft; Bows (INT) ()
   Handle Animal (CHA) ()
   Heal (WIS) ()
   Knowledge; Dungeoneering (INT) ()
   Knowledge; Geography (INT) ()
   Knowledge; Nature (INT) ()
   Perception (WIS) ()
   Profession; Hunter (WIS) ()
   Ride (DEX) ()
   Spellcraft (INT) ()
   Stealth (DEX) ()
   Survival (WIS) ()
   Swim (STR) ()

Languages: Common,

Feats/Racial Traits: (RF=Racial Feat, CF=Class Feature)

Traits/racial traits:

Spells:  1st,  2nd
Current:
1st:   
2nd:   

Coin:
PP:
GP:
SP:
CP:

Equipment:
Weapon
Dam:      Crit:      Wgt:   Rng:   Cost
Armor:
AC:   Skill Pen:   Spell Fail:   Wgt:   Cost:

Other Items:
Item:         Weight:   Cost:   Notes:

My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Muse

Quote from: Melange on April 21, 2014, 12:28:12 AM
Wow Muse, your character is quite a study in contrasts. Um, so based on the last couple of posts, I wasn't supposed to see that. But since I did see it, I wouldn't mind a connection between our characters. I'd like if they were friends, with Kayla joining the sketch club. More than that? We'll see when the actual game begins, assuming we're both accepted. :-)

*Smiles*  I'm glad you like, Melange. 

Um...  I could explain why I did her that way, but I'm not sure if i should do it in here. 

Blinkin

Hi Gang.

Because Plothook and Mythweavers is giving me a major headache with figuring out skills, I am asking everyone to send me a list of the Character skills and the numbers for them. There's been some questions about points spent and I'm concerned that the sites are misleading me on my counts.

Thanks,
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.