Recip E!s with Despickable & Xandi

Started by Autumn52, July 15, 2010, 10:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autumn52

Recip E!s with Despicable & Xandi

This thread is for all our E! family to exchange and talk about each others recipes. Despickable and Xandi will provide a weekly commentary about the different recipes shared and things like ease of preparation and the ease to find ingredients. We are from opposite sides of the world. What we want to encourage is for anyone who has a recipe that they would like us to try and then tell our readers about in future segments to submit them to either Despickable or Xandi’s PM’s.

Despickable is a bachelor so his take on the recipes will be that of someone who is use to cooking for himself using practical ingredients and equipment. He wants to make sure that the bloke's (guys, for you who don’t know he is Australian) have recipes that they can make for themselves or learn to make.

Xandi on the other hand was married and quite often entertains, so she enjoys cooking for a multitude. (not an invite guys to come over for some Tucker) She will have the prospect of some of the women who enjoy cooking and trying new things. Always ready to experiment on someone.

Now if anyone has a comment about our segments feel free to leave a comment in the thread.

We hope that you will enjoy our little E! cooking show.
Bon Appetite.

G’day Des’ ere looking forward to trying all the tasty morsels served up here. I'm generally a pot and pans, fry pan man. My method is the kiss method, which stands for Keep It Simple Stupid. That stupid is referring to me, not you. If I can do it so can you. That is how I like my recipes, simple, straightforward, and tasty. (some who know me would add that is also how I like my women) I look forward to your contributions and comments. I have my apron and spatula ready to go.
So let all tuck into a good feed.

Xandi here to say I am looking forward to hearing from ya’ll and trying yall’s recipes. Yes I am from the southern United States. I don’t talk like Paula Dean but I do cook like her from time to time. So I am looking forward to trying out some new ways of cooking and new recipes. While at the same time sharing some of my heritage with my E! family. I hope you enjoy the banter that Des’ and I share in our commentary. We are good friends and almost family so we will enjoy enlarging and sharing that circle to include ya’ll.
In my part of the world when it is time to eat you ring a dinner bell like in the cowboy movies and someone yells “Come and Get it.”

((will post a commentary shortly))

May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

White Light be upon you if that is your wish

Autumn52

Des: Hey Xandi I was making rice the other day and thought I really need to learn how to make this so that I can enjoy it more. How can I make my rice come out fluffy and not watery? Everytime I make it is watery. So what’s the secret for making good rice?

Xandi: Well Des I learned years ago a few simple secrets that make rice perfect every time. First it depends on what kind of rice you are cooking, but knowing you I know you want to know how to make long grain white rice. First, measurements are important. Two cups of water or chicken stock in a pot with a lid. Add your salt into the water and let it come to a boil. When the water has come to a boil add in 1 Cup of rice. If you want to add spices as I know you are use to doing, then do so now. Stir the rice and let it come back to a boil. Once it begins boiling the second time cover the pot with a lid and turn the heat down to medium low. DO NOT lift the lid, DO NOT stir the rice, until 20 to 25 minutes have gone by. Lift the lid after 20 minutes and see if the liquid is absorbed. If it still looks a little wet put the lid back on and cook the added 5 minutes. After the time is up lift the lid and with a fork fluff the rice. That is perfect rice every time.

Des: Being on my own, what would I be able to do with any left over rice? I don’t have an oven so it would need to be done on the stove top, or in the  microwave. Any suggestions?

Xandi: I see you were raised right. Waste not want not. So of coarse I encourage the use of left overs. One of my favorite things to do with left over white rice is:  Put about a half cup of milk in a small sauce pan add a little sugar to taste I usually use about 3 or 4 spoonfuls. Mix the sugar into the milk so that it dissolves. When the milk is hot but not boiling, add in about 1 cup of the left over rice or however much you want. Let this cook together and it will become a little creamy. When it looks to the consistency that is good for you take it off the heat and eat it up…YUMMY! You can add any spices you like. Cinnamon is great, nutmeg, cloves, any spice you enjoy and add a little vanilla extract and you will love it.

Des: Well I am salivating at the very thought of doing that right now. It sounds absolutely yummy. This long distance cooking could be quite a lark, aye.

Xandi: So Des tell our readers do you own a set of measuring cups or spoons?

Des: What’s that? Actually I don’t have specific measuring tools. Do you have any suggestions how to make my food come out as good as yours or any of the wonderful cooks here on E!. So that I don’t have to take a flight to the US or anywhere else in the world in order to enjoy some of the wonderful foods.

Xandi: Well just as I suspected. I advise you to use the cup that you measure the water with, use that same cup to measure the rice. It will be the same difference. Now as for measuring spoons do the same, using a teaspoon or tablespoon.

A couple of recipe's for your readers to try if you would like:

Xandi’s Coca-Cola Cake
Ingredients:
2 Cups Flour
2 Cups Sugar (granulated)
2 sticks butter (1 Cup)
3 Tbs. Cocoa powder
1 Cup of Coca Cola
½ cup of buttermilk
2 eggs (beaten)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla (pure)
2 cups miniature marshmallows

Instructions:
Prepare your cake pan, a 13x9 pan greased and floured. Preheat your oven to 350*.

Combine your flour and sugar in a mixing bowl and mix well.
In a sauce pan heat: Butter, coca cola, and cocoa powder and bring to a boil point, but don’t boil. Pour your butter and coke mixture over your flour and sugar, mix well.
In a small bowl off to the side, mix your buttermilk, baking soda and vanilla. Beat your eggs up and put into the flour mixture after you have added the buttermilk mixture. Mix everything well. Put your marshmallows in last, just stir these into your batter.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan, the marshmallows will rise to the top during baking. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool slightly.

Coca Cola Icing:
Ingredients:
1 Stick of Butter (½ cup at room temp)
6 Tbs. Coca Cola
1 box of Powdered Sugar (10x confectioners sugar) 1 pound or 16 oz.
1 tsp. vanilla (pure)
3 Tbs. Cocoa Powder

Instructions:
Cream the butter in a mixer. Add all the other ingredients and mix until thick and yummy.

While the cake is still WARM but not HOT, put the icing on. It will seep into the cake slightly and OMG it is so yummy. This cake is even good if after it has cooled, cut yourself a piece and warm it slightly in the microwave only 10 seconds or so and it is heaven.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I do.
Hugs and kisses to Everyone……..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here’s a simple meal that is not only quick and easy to make, but is impressive enough to win you perhaps a second or third date.

Des' Bah Mee Macaroni

Ingredients:
Macaroni (serves enough for One or Two)
Bacon Bits.
Three Eggs.
Butter/Marge
Milk
Spices.    Three Spice\
      Garlic Powder
      Cinnamon   
      Curry Powder
      Any You Have In The Cupboard
Tomato Ketchup  (in Aussie that’s tomato sauce or Dead Horse)

Ok cooking this thing:
Boil Macaroni
While it’s boiling prepare the scrambled eggs. Mix them in a bowl with butter and milk.
Whisk the sucker till its consistent and then drop in a fry pan
Stir them eggs up and get them fluffy.
Once macaroni is boiling turn the heat down a little on both the eggs and the macaroni.
Add the bacon bits and the spices to the eggs and mix them through. Make the curry it as hot as you like it. I am a mild mannered man.
Drain the macaroni. And put it back on the stove turning off the heat.

Now pour the scrambled eggs and all the other things you mixed through it. (You did remember to mix through it didn’t ya?)And put them all in the saucepan with the macaroni,
Add the tomato ketchup a dollop or two is enough. This gives it a little texture and helps to bind it together stirring it through.
It’s now ready to serve.

Scoop it on to the plate or bowl and tuck in.

It can be served as a side dish at a barbecue and served cold if you want it as a pasta salad. But its great on a cold evening in front of the idiot box while watching grown men play a sport with a ball of some kind.

This is a top feed. I hope you enjoy.     
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

TheLovelyMaid

Lovely's Luscious Key-Lime Cake
-Just made this yesterday for my dad's birthday, if you like sweet, and citrus, this cake is for you.  And yes, the insides are green.  Please read the directions all the way through first, and determine if you want to make it WITH or without the icing.

Ingredients:

1 3oz package of lime flavored gelatin (like a box of lime jello)
1 and 1/3 cups granulated sugar
2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
5 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 and 1/2 cups vegetable oil
3/4 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup key lime juice (from either 4 large limes or 20-25 small key limes--I just use 25 key limes, and juice them by hand.  But lime juice is sold, so it's up to you.)
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar.

INSTRUCTIONS:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease and lightly flour three 9-inch round cake pans. (I only used two in the photo because the house is junky and I couldn't find the mate. >.<  But it's supposed to be a three-layer cake.)

In a large mixing bowl, mix the gelatin, sugar, flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.  (ONLY THE GRANULATED SUGAR, the confectioner's is for later.)  Stir to mix well.  Add the eggs, oil, orange juice, lemon juice and vanilla.  Mix until the batter is even.   Divide the batter evenly among the three (or two) pans, and bake for 30-40 minutes.  Get a toothpick, and test for completion (make sure no raw batter lingers on the toothpick.

While that's in the oven, mix the confectioner's sugar and the lime juice and wait for the cakes to finish. Take them out, and let the pans cool for only five minutes, and turn them out onto racks.

Now, while the layers are still hot (this is key) pierce holes with the toothpick or a fork, and pour the glaze (lime juice and sugar) over the cakes.  The tiny holes let it soak in better.  Then let it cool while you make the icing.  Now, if you're counting calories, you don't have to make the icing.  The cake is fine and sweet with just the glaze.  However, if you want to get fancy with it, there's an icing, which I made.

Cream Cheese Icing

Ingredients:

1/2 cup (or one stick) butter, room temperature.
1 8oz package of cream cheese, room temperature.
1 (1lb) box of confectioner's sugar.

DIRECTIONS:
Cream the butter and cream cheese.  Beat in the confectioners' sugar until the mixture is smooth and easy to spread.  Spread the icing between the layers and on top and sides of the cake.

Serves 12!

I've also posted this in Moonhare's cooking thread.

despickable

Xandi:  Hey Des I have a question for you. I love a good steak from time to 
time but I can never cook a good steak. I don’t have a grill or a grill pan, so can you tell me how to cook a medium ribeye steak without the use of a grill or grill pan.

DesP: I thought someone like you who loves vampire stories and has so many vampire stories here on E would not what to go near any steaks or stakes. The BBQ steak is a bit of a fav of mine. I can’t say I’m an expert at them but I might be able to assist and we can always count on the friends here at E to added there two bobs worth (two cents worth) for us.
So let me ask you what have you tried in the past when cooking a steak? What didn’t work and what did?

Xandi: Well I did it in a screaming hot cast iron skillet on a stovetop. It got great stear (sear) marks but it didn’t cook too a good medium and it was tough.

DesP: You grow everything tough in Texas tho doncha?

Xandi: I tried the second time to broil it on a sheet pan in my oven and turning it when its half way done to get the sear marks half way done and the problem with it was it over cooked.

DesP: Did you use tongs?

Xandi: Yes. And seasoned with my favorite seasoning.

DesP: The trick I am aware of in the Aussie Barbie style is the constant turning of the meat. Have the heat up quite high and turn the meat over every couple minutes or so. You can make the difference in the turning time a little longer but it is a good idea to keep you eyes on it and watch it. It is also a goods idea to cut it open a little if need be to see the color of the meat. You need to keep an eye on the color of the meat and depending on the way you want it, as in medium you make sure it doesn’t go to brown and that there is a reddish tinge to it. You can season it as you are turning it as well. It takes a little trial and error but you should be able to get a constant and consistent browning, or searing by turning or flipping it over.

Xandi: That’s sounds like a good idea I will have to try it. And maybe some of the readers here might have a few ideas on how to cook a medium steak.

DesP: Are you gonna let us in on the seasoning secret or is it like that other Southern Gentleman a secret that no one is ever allowed to know. (The Colonel from KFC)

Xandi: No secret here.

DesP: Oh damn.

Xandi: The name of it is..McCormick's Grill Mate Montreal Steak Seasoning. The ingredients are Coarse Salt, Black Pepper, Red Pepper, Garlic, Sunflower oil, and Paprika. I rub it into the meat on both sides, before searing.

DesP: Excellent. You got me wanting to go and have a steak now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now a couple of recipes for you mates here at E to try out if you would like.

Des’ Egg Bread

This is a nice little breakfast in bed treat or a late night snack

Ingredients:
3 eggs
Thick sliced bread
Margarine or Butter
Cinnamon
Splash of milk

Instructions:
Break eggs into a bowl, and beat them till they have learned their lesson, or they are smooth and consistent.
Add cinnamon and milk to eggs.
Heat a frypan melting butter while you coat the bread.
Soak the bread into the egg mixture so that it covers it and with a flipper place it on the pan.
Do as many slices as you need of the bread or till the mixture is used up.
Flip the fried bread a few times and place on plate. Do the same with each slice till you have the three or four slices.
You can add salt and pepper if you want when they're done.
A cool Orange juice to wash it down and you’re done.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is one of my favorite meals to prepare when I have a busy day ahead and don't really want to eat out for dinner. It is easy and quick and Oh So Tasty.

You need to use a slow cooker or crockpot or at least that is what we call it here in the south.

Xandi's Easy Beef Tips and Rice

Ingredients:
2 or 3 Pounds of good stew meat or a Beef Roast cut into cubes
1 envelope of Lipton Dry Mushroom Onion Soup Mix
2 cans of GOOD Cream of Mushroom Soup
2 Cups of Beef Stock
1 (8 oz package) of Sliced Mushroom any style you like (I use button Mushrooms)

Instructions:
Mix everything together in the crockpot except the mushrooms and beef. Mix it well until it is smooth and creamy. Then add your meat and mushrooms, stir well. Put the lid on and turn it on to high for 4 hours, Medium for 6 hours, or Low for 8 hours.

When you are about ready to eat make yourself some white rice, like we discussed last week.  Serve the beef tips over the rice. I normally serve this meal with a garden salad and a yummy vinaigrette. It is so easy and yummy. I hope you enjoy it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This was our first contribution so as promised I made the cake this week and had my friends over to try it out, here is what they said:

Woman Friend: Good Cake but had slightly to much lime for me was almost bitter. Was good but possibly would like to try without the lime glaze. The cake is beautiful, the green color is outstanding very unique.

Woman Friend: The cake was very good. The lime taste did not overpower the cake. The cream cheese icing complimented the cake very well. Liked the texture and silkiness of the cake, and it was so very moist.  Would love to have again.

Man Friend: Good very very good. Love it actually. I has a great citrus taste and the sweet icing is wonderful contrast. The cake is very moist and not bitter at all which sometimes happens with citrus sweets. But not this one no bitter after taste at all. Would have again for sure.

Man Friend: (this one is so typical) Good cake, like it would eat the whole thing if no one was looking....(needless to say I giggled)

Xandi's Opinion: The cake is beautiful to begin with and the ingredients were readily available. I thought the taste was excellent. I enjoyed the tart citrus with the sweet cream cheese icing. The lime is a definite taste that is prevalent. I garnished the cake with some lime and lemon zest and then a slice of lemon and lime on top, just for looks. I put pictures of the cake I made so you could see how it came out. I used 2 - 10 inch pans and it only had to bake for 23 minutes. I didn't have 3 smaller pans so I worked with what I had as did TheLovelyMaid. Thanks for the recipe and I assure you it was a hit.

Lovely's Luscious Key-Lime Cake

“We have multiplied our possessions but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We’ve learned how to make a living but not a life. We’ve added years to life, not life to years.” – George Carlin
Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page
[url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=133839.0]
[/url][/url]Despickable's Ons and Offs

despickable

Just letting you all know that for anyone who loves recipes Moonhare's has a cooking thread on E as well, with some great stuff so check it out. We might even try out a few of hers too There are some tasty treats on there that is for sure

And thanks here publicly to Lovely for her Lime cake, I thanked her in a PM but wanted say thanks here for her great cake. and keep them coming I am a sweet tooth and love cakes..

“We have multiplied our possessions but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We’ve learned how to make a living but not a life. We’ve added years to life, not life to years.” – George Carlin
Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

TheLovelyMaid

Ramster

Here's how I prepare a steak, as requested by Xandi. Des, take heed! It's quite similar to your own recipe.

You will need:

A steak, of just about any kind
One skillet pan
A knob of butter for frying
A mixture of garlic powder or crushed fresh garlic, a hint of rosemary and oregano, coarse salt and pepper. Alternatively, a BBQ rub from your supermarket will do in a pinch.
A long, sharp kitchen knife

Rub the seasoning onto the steak. Melt the butter in the pan. Turn up the heat to the max and drop in the steak. Get one side of it nice and brown, then flip it over and sear the other side.

The next bit may try your patience. Turn down the heat to a medium flame, and use your judgement. The colour of the sides of the steak should be a reasonable clue as to how well cooked it is, but I recommend sticking the knife in the middle of the meat and holding it open briefly, to peek at the colour. If you want it rare, it should be pink, as pink as you like it. For medium rare, it should be a light pink. Turning the steak regularly, repeat keyhole surgery as necessary to check its progress. When it looks ready, remove from the pan and enjoy with fries, fried potatoes, a baked potato, or maybe some salad. It's not an exact science.

Leave not a piss untaken, nor a Michael unappropriated.
A/As!!!
Knight of the Order of the Pizza

Nulla gratuitas sine anchoa

desert ashes

This is the recipe I use for Chocolate Dipped Lavender Cookies (thanks to Lavender Fields).  It can be changed from being chocolate dipped to merely plain Lavender Cookies or adding chocolate chips into the mix for Chocolate Chip Lavender Cookies.  One note about lavender is that a little really does go a long way and not to use more than you need; over using lavender in cooking or baking can make the food in question bitter and overwhelm you with the perfume of the flower.  Lavender can be found in a lot of organic stores (will come as dried, which is more potent), sometimes the occasional farmer's stand or market, or, if you happen to grow some, can be freshly harvested; don't ever buy it from a florist unless they specify it's for cooking as florists use sprays that are otherwise not viable for letting us eat the flowers. 

Chocolate-Dipped Lavender Cookies
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 ½ cups self-raising flour
1 Tbsp. Lavender flowers
8 oz. Semisweet chocolate pieces

Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. In a medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium to high speed, beat butter for 30 seconds.

Add sugar, beat until combined. Beat in egg until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in the remaining flour and the lavender.

Drop dough by teaspoons 2 inches apart in the parchment paper-lined cookie sheets. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool the cookies completely on a wire rack.

In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt chocolate, stirring constantly; remove from heat. Dip half of each cookie into chocolate. Place the dipped cookies on parchment paper until the chocolate is firm.
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin
they will lie about you, insult you, hurt you,
betray you, injure  you, set you aflame and
watch you burn. but they will not, shall not,
c a n n o t, destroy  you. because  you, like
R o m e, were built  on ashes, and you, like
a phoenix, know how to rise and resurrect.
· accepting new stories ·
 ·· · ideas & cravings ·· ons & offs ·· poetry ·· a/a ·· stories · ··

let there be beauty born from ashes

thirteenhearts

*Looks at sad, single-girl frozen meals in the freezer*

Geez, can someone just come over and cook me dinner and cakes?  ;) 

Autumn52

Invites beautiful single girl to a dinner party where we will enjoy the recipes shared here. 

huggles thirteenhearts and kisses her

thirteenhearts

Yay!  Dinner party!  I'll bring the drinks!

*Hugs Xandi*

Brian Boru

Mahi Mahi Tacos

(I prefer my tacos in a hard shell, but you can also use this with a soft shell if you'd like)

The Rub:

1 Tbsp. Paprika
1 Tbsp. Ground Cummin
1 Tbsp. Garlic Powder
1 Tbsp. Onion Powder
1 Tbsp. Kosher Salt
1/4 Tbsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/4 Tbsp. Red Pepper Flakes
1/4 Tbsp. Cayenne Pepper
1/2 Tbsp. Dill Seed
1/2 Tbsp. Ground Black Pepper

Mix all above ingredients in mixing bowl.  You will have left overs, so once it is thoroughly mixed, place in a tupperware or other storage container.  I leave mine with my spices in the pantry.

Other Needed Ingredients
1/2 C. Soy Sauce
1/4 C. Peanut Oil
2 lbs. Mahi-Mahi fish
Taco Shells
Pico de Gallo
Chopped fresh Cilantro

Preparation
Brush on Soy Sauce on both sides of fish.  Place plate of fish in fridge for 1 hour to chill.
Remove fish from fridge and brush on peanut oil.
Sprinkle both sides of fish with the mixed rub.
Let stand 15 minutes

Cook filets with flesh side down on medium to low heat on an open grill
Should take about 10 minutes to cook both sides.  I usually leave the flesh side down for 7-8 minutes, then flip for the finish for 2-3 minutes.  The flesh can be peeled off after it cooks, saving trouble in the prep area after grilling.
Take fish to prep area and flake the fillets out into a dish. 

I typically serve at the table, allowing each person to build their taco to their preference.  We also use sour cream as a topping.  These are extremely yummy, but be careful of the Kosher Salt.  You may prefer to 1/2 the amount specified above.

A/As Updated 12/7 - PLEASE READ
A/As updated 2/20/11

despickable

Quote from: thirteenhearts on July 28, 2010, 09:58:40 AM
Yay!  Dinner party!  I'll bring the drinks!

*Hugs Xandi*

Oh goody two girls a smörgåsbord. I will bring the Bah me macaroni and I am sure we will find a way to entertain ourselves ladies....

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Autumn52

Des: Xandi I was wondering how to make a proper omelet? I have eaten them on occasion but have never made them. I was wondering what a good recipe and starter would be to try it out? You know me I don't like things if it is to difficult. So something fast and easy is what I am looking for.

Xandi: Des I am glad you ask this because I love omelets and eat them quite regularly. First of all you can make just and egg white omelet or a whole egg omelet. If just using the egg whites then of coarse you would separate the yolk from the white before beating the egg up. I am supposing that you would perfer to use the whole egg so first we should talk about the kind of pan that is best to use. I prefer a 6 inch non stick saute or omelet pan. In a good non stick pan you only have to use a little butter for flavor. If you don't own a non stick pan then make sure to put some non stick spray in the pan before putting in the beaten eggs. So I will give you the recipe first and then explain:

Ingredients:                                                   
Non stick spray (for pan)                                                                                       
3 eggs (beaten well in a small bowl set aside)                                                                                                     
2 Tbs. Butter
American Cheese 1 slice (torn into small pieces)

Things I put in my omelets:
Ham (thin sliced and cut into strips)
Mushrooms (cut into small pieces)
Onions (diced small)
Bell Pepper (any color and diced in small pieces)
In a small pan put 3 tbs. of butter and melt it then add all your omelet insides. The Veggies and meat you want to go on the inside of your omelet. Saute for about 5 or 8 minutes until the veggies are crisp tender, cooked but not mushy.
Put any veggies you perfer.

Now you are ready to start:
Take your omelet pan and place over medium heat. Spray with non stick spray and then melt the 2 Tbs. of Butter in the pan. After the butter is melted pour in the beaten eggs. Let it set for just a few minutes until you can see the sides begin to set up. Once the side are set try to flip the entire thing, there should not be any browning on the omelet.(if your omelet has a little browning turn the heat down) Once it is flipped over place your omelet insides that you have sauteed on one side, place the pieces of cheese of the omelet on that and then fold it over so that it is half moon shaped now. Let it set until the eggs are done. If you find that the side of the omelet on top is not cooking very good then, once you have it folded over after 2 minutes turn the entire thing again so that the bottom of the half moon shape is now the top and cook an additional 2 minutes. The Omelet should be ready to eat at this point. Place on a nice plate and eat while it is hot. Yummy!!

So Des do you think you will try this out?

Des: Yes but I have a few questions about the veggies. Should I grate the veggies? or just cut them up?

Xandi: No don't grate the veggies, just cut them into small pieces. Also I should add that you can add any spices you want. Put the spices into the eggs when you beat them up.

Des: I plan on trying this on the weekend I'll let you know how it turns out. Will it be big enough to feed me? Because you know I am a big eater and size is important.
Des: Instead of putting a recipe this week I thought I might share a few handy tips for shopping for one and how to do it cheaply.
1. For those who eat meat and lots of fresh veggies, go to the fresh market near closing time, about an hour or so before it closes. Near the end of the day the store holders are trying to clear their stock for the next day. So quite often they are selling meats and veggies at a much cheaper price to clear the stock out for the next day. They knock the prices down and you can get good cuts of meat at a lower price. If you have freezer space you can pick up your Snags (sausages), Steaks, Pork Chops, or whatever meats you like; at a discounted price and then go home and freeze them. Remember to put the date on the outside of the package or color code it so that you know when it was frozen. Speaking of at the market, you can do the same with veggies and any other perishable items. So a handy tip is to do your shopping later in the day to pick up the sales.

2. Supermarket:
At the supermarkets lets talk about shopping the sale items, and some of the tricks that they use. I am sure supermarkets are the same everywhere in the world so these things will work most times. A lot of places will have 2 for 1 sales or things like that, so snatch those things up especially if they are non perishable items. Don't always go for brand names, home brand are quite good, (store brand items). Because they are cheap, trail and error is ok to try out. If you find you like a different brand better at least you have tried this and you can not buy it again. So when trying a store brand, home brand just buy a few or one to try it out the first time.
Buying in bulk is always cheaper but not if you don't know if you will like the item. Once you have tried it and know you will like it then buying in bulk saves a lot of money.
For a giggle you can always use the packaging for a nice chair.......
Buying item out of season like canned soups in the summer instead of winter can be quite a savings. The temptation items are a thing to beware of. These are put at the end caps and check outs, they are put there to get you to buy them while waiting in line.

3. This next comment could be considered sexist but men shop differently that women in supermarkets. Make your list and stick to it. Us guys go in, get what we want and get the hell out, or at least it's true with me. Sometimes it is not safe to get your male partner to do the shopping. Because he might end up buying chips and beer. My little hint about how I go shopping is, go in with what I want to buy and go straight to the aisle it is in. I do not pass go, I do not collect $200 dollars. (LOL) I never go to the supermarket hungry, otherwise I will come home with chips and beer. Finally, going with a budgeted amount that you want to spend, only spend that amount, and if you have anything left over, buy yourself some chips and beer.

I will have some more handy hints for you next time. Now it is back to Xandi with the weather.

Xandi: I first want to say that a storm is brewing with that last comment. But I have to admit that I do go down almost all the aisles just to make sure I haven't forgotten something, and doing that I usually buy things that are not on my list. However since we women do a lot more cooking and grocery shopping we don't want to go back to the store unnecessarily, or at least that is what we say to ourselves. (giggles)

I tried Des' Bah Mee Macaroni this week and I had some friends over to try it out. Here was their comments and my review.

Man: It is a little dry but the flavor is great. I would perhaps like a little sauce.

Female: I liked the flavor but something seemed missing. I wanted to add some more sauce to it. I would have it again but this time I would like to try a little twist of my own.

Xandi: I have to admit I don't like ketchup so the dryness was probably because I did not add enough in. I liked the flavor as well. Next time I make it I intend on doing it the way I make Carbonara, and adding cheese. The eggs in carbonara are not cooked before hand they are put onto the hot macaroni and the heat from the macaroni cooks them. The cheese also helps make a sauce with the eggs. I added onions and paprika along with some garlic and salt and pepper. The cheese I will add next time will be a good Romano or Parmesan. Also with the bacon I will add a little ham. Overall I liked the dish and will make it again. I will put my Carbanara recipe in next week. But it is pretty close to Des' Bah Mee.

Des' Bah Mee Macaroni

Next week Xandi plans on reviewing the lovey Moirae's Chocolate-Dipped Lavender Cookies. I am looking forward to trying them. YUMMY!!!

despickable

Xandi had to zip out. She probably forgot something at the store lol

I will be giving her omelet a try and also feasting on Ramster's steak idea.
Thanks to all who are reading our tips and those offering suggestions.

I'm not sure I can fit a fry pan up there , sorry. No seriously thanks all for your feed back and keep those ideas coming. Chow ...

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Rhedyn

These cookies are one of two recipes I make at least once a week.. they never last long in my house and I end up having to make extra batches to send home with my man for him, his brother and lodger to munch their way through. I'll be adding the recipe for my oat and raisin cookies another day, but for now:

Chunky Chocolate Cookies

4oz (115g) unsalted butter
4oz (115g) light muscovado sugar
1 egg
1tsp (5ml) vanilla essence
5oz (150g) self-raising flour
3oz (75g) porridge oats
8oz (200g) roughly chopped chocolate.

Preheat the oven to gas mark 5 (190C/375F)
Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until smooth and fluffy.
Add the egg and vanilla and mix in well.
Fold in the flour then add the oats and chocolate and stir until evenly mixed.
Spoon onto greased baking sheets and bake for 15-20 minutes or until beginning to turn pale golden in colour.
Transfer to cool on a wire rack and enjoy.

Tips:

The mix makes 18 -20 cookies, I always make 18 over two baking sheet with 9 blobs of cookie mix on each as I find this works best. I also use grease proof baking paper instead of greasing the trays as it's easier all round.

When I bake them I do one tray at a time in the top of the preheated oven as I find they cook better this way. I also recommend keeping your eye to them until you get a good idea how long they will take in your oven... they are very easy to burn if you leave them just marginally too long... burnt cookies = bad times  :-(

I have played around using salted butter and different types of brown sugar. There is really little difference in the results, the main one being that if you use light brown sugar instead of muscovado the colouring of the cookies will be lighter.

Chocolate... the most important ingredient. The picture above is of the last batch I made, which are white chocolate as an experiment as I've never made them before. I usually make milk chocolate ones, which I do think taste a little better but only in that they're not quite as sickly as the white chocolate ones. A good medium is to mix the chocolate so you have 100g each of white and milk chocolate in there for a double chocolate cookie. As for the type of chocolate. I use the cheapest I can get hold of, it really makes no difference in the finished product and I begrudge paying a tonne of money on expensive chocolate when it's not necessary.

I hope you all enjoy the recipe  :-)

Autumn52

That sounds yummy I cant wait to try those....

Thanks Rhedyn

Autumn52

Quote from: talesoferoticadventure on July 28, 2010, 09:59:21 AM
Mahi Mahi Tacos

(I prefer my tacos in a hard shell, but you can also use this with a soft shell if you'd like)

The Rub:

1 Tbsp. Paprika
1 Tbsp. Ground Cummin
1 Tbsp. Garlic Powder
1 Tbsp. Onion Powder
1 Tbsp. Kosher Salt
1/4 Tbsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/4 Tbsp. Red Pepper Flakes
1/4 Tbsp. Cayenne Pepper
1/2 Tbsp. Dill Seed
1/2 Tbsp. Ground Black Pepper

Mix all above ingredients in mixing bowl.  You will have left overs, so once it is thoroughly mixed, place in a tupperware or other storage container.  I leave mine with my spices in the pantry.

Other Needed Ingredients
1/2 C. Soy Sauce
1/4 C. Peanut Oil
2 lbs. Mahi-Mahi fish
Taco Shells
Pico de Gallo
Chopped fresh Cilantro

Preparation
Brush on Soy Sauce on both sides of fish.  Place plate of fish in fridge for 1 hour to chill.
Remove fish from fridge and brush on peanut oil.
Sprinkle both sides of fish with the mixed rub.
Let stand 15 minutes

Cook filets with flesh side down on medium to low heat on an open grill
Should take about 10 minutes to cook both sides.  I usually leave the flesh side down for 7-8 minutes, then flip for the finish for 2-3 minutes.  The flesh can be peeled off after it cooks, saving trouble in the prep area after grilling.
Take fish to prep area and flake the fillets out into a dish. 

I typically serve at the table, allowing each person to build their taco to their preference.  We also use sour cream as a topping.  These are extremely yummy, but be careful of the Kosher Salt.  You may prefer to 1/2 the amount specified above.

Thanks for the recipes Tales and yummy cant wait to try them.....huggles

despickable

Thanks Rhedyn for your cookies very yum they look great.
And to Tales for your Taco recipe it looks like  I'm gonna try that out too

Xandi and anyone else who wants to give the Bah Mee Macaroni so that it isn't quite so dry to your tastes I have added grated carrot to it o r you can add a dollop of cream in it  and stirring it through before adding the scrambled eggs etc. It s nice to know my little creation has been getting tried out and I thank all or , as we say in Australia, given it a red hot go.

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

despickable

Well here are again This time it's Xandi’s turn to gives a problem and she’s been giving me problems that girl quite some time now. Okay.

Xandi:  I have a problem cooking fish. I prefer to fry fish as I am Southern. Not all fish can be fried I am not a big fish eater, but to be truthful the only fish I have ever cared for is catfish which is best fried. So my question is; What are some of other types of fish that are easy to prepare and taste good not fried?

Des: Well you can grill fish and keep the fish fresh.

Xandi:  I don’t have a grill can I broil it?

Des:  I’m not a big fish cooking person If I do fish Its’ usually fried or grilled and someone else makes it. Broiled fish is fine and I gather that you people in the Southern States have such fish as Perch or Flake, which is the number one in Australia, we have a good eating fish called a barramundi which Aussie call a barra. It can be broiled and fried and grilled it’s a good feed. However steaming your fish in a steamer can work quite nice and most fish can be steamed. So Xandi do you have a steamer?

Xandi: Yep

Des: I mean a steamer not a paddle steamer

Xandi: Oh boy, you are a nut you. I will get a paddle if you aren't careful.

Des: Have you ever tried steaming fish and would you try it

Xandi: If I have a good recipe

Des: I figure that you steam the fish as you do you veggies and get the golden color you get with fish. I don’t do much in the way of fish so if people here have ideas or suggestions on preparing fish without frying it them let us now. That is our invitation to you. Yep that's Des copping out and handing it over to our dear readers.
Des Review for the week:

I tried the omelet tonight and I hate to say I made a real disaster of it.
No one mentioned air bubbles and I got one of those in it. I saute the veggies I had ham beans and mushroom. I put the cheese in the saute. I know It wasn't meant to I soon realized that too late. When I flipped the omelet in the pan it was OK I added the veggies and tried to halve it, the whole thing fell apart.
Stop laughing I knew it was going to be a tough thing for me to try. I did eat it, wastes not want not. It tasted okay actually, but Gordon Ramsey would not have given me points for presentation.
I am going to try it again though I know now about the bubble thing and it will be much better next time.

Xandi: Omelets usually take a few tries to get it right, knowing your pan the trial and error but it's worth the effort

I will be doing Ramster’s steak tomorrow night, I feel confident that even I can't screw that up LOL

I did the rice as Xandi suggested I used the wrong rice, jasmine rice the first time, and that apparently needs a different preparation. I figured it out though.
I got the long grain rice and did as you suggested Xandi, and boiled it as you presented here. It was a triumph, and the left overs I did with the sugar and milk as suggested here, and it was lovely it reminded me of rice pudding without the skin

Ramster's steak

I have just had the steak for dinner. I used several spices to season which included Rosemary, Italian herbs,garlic powder, black pepper and steak spice.
I did the steak to medium rare and added mushrooms and once cooked I topped it with grated cheese. I had a side of vegetables.
The steak was absolutely delicious and highly reccommend. It was a veritable feast of flavors. It is something I will defiantly do again
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Xandi's Recipe Review for the Week:

First of all I wanted to apologize.This week I was going to make the Lavender cookie recipe that Moirae gave us and the recipe that Rhedyn gave us. I have made the cookies that Ryedyn was nice enough to give us the recipe for but I was unable to get the lavender flowers for Moirae's cookie. I have it on order so as soon as I get it I will be making those cookies as well.

I first have to tell everyone that since starting this thread and inviting friends over to test the recipes I have gotten, I am getting phone calls about when is the next testing. So I wanted to let you know that my Friends are enjoying the recipe testing. I actually give everyone a little card to fill out about how they like the recipe that is being tried that night. Thanks to everyone who has contributed and those who will do so in the future.

Now for my review of Rhedyn's Cookies.

I had intended on making these on Wednesday but got to busy and had to put it off until Thursday. When I called my friends to tell them it would be one more day they of coarse told me that would cost me extra cookies so I made a few extra as per their request.

Female Friend: "I love these cookies they are moist and chocolaty. Most cookies after they cool get hard, but not these. I loved them."

Male Friend: "I like the oats in there, I have never had a chocolate chunk cookie with oats and it really gives it that extra something. More please."

Female Friend: "Yummo, I love them I think my favorite thing is you can dunk them in coffee or milk and they hold up, they don't fall apart."

Male Friend: BTW he is the one who is always wanting to eat the whole plate of whatever it is, this time was no different. He grabbed 6 cookies and put them on his plate while we all just looked at him. His comment was, "I don't want to have to get back up after I sit down." we all just laughed, since the cookie plate was sitting on the table in the room where we were playing our game. Now for his review, "These are great. I want to place an order for 2 dozen. No I mean now, go in the kitchen and make my cookies and no one can have any. They are all for me." (laughs all around)

Xandi Thoughts: These cookies were a hit. They were still moist and chewy after they had cooled and they were very simple to make. I made two batches and between my friends and me we ate all but 4, which guess who took home with him. I actually loved the coarse sugar in them it made the texture a little different than what I am use to but I loved the difference.

Rhyden's Chunky Chocolate Cookie's

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Autumn52

Beguile was kind enough to allow me to post her yummy recipe here.....I cant wait to try it...

* Beguile's Mistress loves broccoli steamed for 2 minutes then tossed into a skillet with bacon drippings, crumbled bacon, shredded carrots, walnuts and a dash of balsamic vinegar for a few minutes.  Adds raisins just before serving.

YUMMMMMMMYYYYYYYY

Ramster

Did someone say fish recipe? I know a few good ones, although they're all as approximate as you'd expect from me.

ramster's Approximate Fish Pie:

Ingredients & utensils needed:
A pie dish
About 1 1/2 - 2 lbs of  tasty fish. A combination makes the pie even better. White fish is best as the main fish ingredient, such as cod, haddock, coley, place, pangasius (aka Basa fish or cobbler). Fresh salmon, smoked cod or haddock, and/or prepared shellfish make a very tasty addition to the mix.
Milk and/or cream
Butter
Potatoes (enough to mash and cover the pie with a layer of mashed potato. About 6 large-ish ones.)
Parsley, leaves only. Flat leaf parsley tastes better, but the ordinary variety will do just fine as well.
Four hard boiled eggs, peeled and quartered
Grated cheese to taste
Some flour
Some white wine

Step 1: Peel and boil the potatoes until they're ready to mash.
Step 2: While the potatoes are boiling, put the fish in a saucepan or large frying pan and poach with a pint of milk and perhaps some cream, simmering gently until the fish is cooked but still firm. Take out the fish and keep the milk used for poaching.
Step 3: Melt the butter in the pan and sprinkle in a tablespoon of flour. After a few seconds, slowly stir in the milk. Add salt, pepper, and a generous handful or two of chopped parsley. Mix into a smooth white sauce. Add white wine if you like.
Step 4: Assemble your pie. Place your fish in the dish and distribute it evenly, broken into bite size chunks with a fork. Distribute the quartered boiled eggs. Pour over the white sauce, and add your shrimps, crayfish, prawns, mussels or langoustines if you've got any. Then mash your potatoes into a smooth creamy mash with milk, butter and salt, and cover the fish and sauce in the dish with a nice layer  of potato.
Step 5: Sprinkle grated cheese on the potato topping, and place in the oven at 200 degrees for about 30 minutes. Serve with a glass of white wine and some green salad, green beans or broccoli, for example.

This recipe is cheap and delicious, and can be made using almost any fish you have at hand. It's also very easy to improvise variations.
A/As!!!

Autumn52

Thank you so much Ramster....That sounds really good.

I will like to try this recipe the first chance I get.

Hugs and Big Kisses for the recipe  ;)

Ramster

Enjoy it with the new boyfriend, and congratulations again! ;)

*Hugs*
A/As!!!

Autumn52

Xandi: Well it is that time again. This week Des will tell us his problem for the week.

Des: My footy team couldn't win if their life depended on it and that's a problem. Oh you meant a cooking or recipe problem.....LOL. I always prepare to many veggies. How do you know how much to cook for one person. I mean I know that a cup of veggies is a serving, but when preparing veggies how can you tell how much to cut up and cook?

Xandi: Well lets see, and easy way to guesstimate is when cutting up veggies in their raw form cook down to almost half so if you start with 1 cup fresh it will be about 1/2 cup cooked, sometime 3/4 cup but just an easy formula is about 1/2. Greens and Spinach those cook down considerably more. If someone else out there has another good idea please feel free to let us know.

Des: I also was wondering is there some rule about what veggies should and should not be mixed together in the same meal?

Xandi: Well personally I try to only have one veggie that counts as a starch in each meal. You should have 2 green veggies, these are veggies that actually count as a vegtable. For Example: Potato's and corn count as a starch, Spinach and green leafy vegtables count as vegtables. A vegtable that turns to starch once digested is considered a starch, a vegtable that is considered a fiber and does not turn to starch once digested is better for you and not as many calories. I hope that helps.

Des: What I normally do is have 2 green vegtables and one potato or something similar. I like Brussell sprouts, and dutch potato's they are oblong shaped and I cut them down the middle long ways. I tend to boil my vegtables and if I am making a gravy I use the water that I boiled the veggies in to make the gravy so that I still get all the nutrients.

Xandi: Well I like to steam veggies or roast in the oven. I don't boil veggies much but it would be good to use the water from the veggies for other things, that is a good tip. When I roast my veggies I sprinkle them with salt and pepper and a little olive oil and roast until fork tender. When steaming I usually steam until tender crisp. Beguiles Mistress gave us a recipe for broccoli that I will try this week and it sounds really great.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No reviews this week.....

Handy little hints:
Des:1. Always have milk in your frig. (needed for coffee)

Xandi: 2. Always have fresh fruit around. It is a great snack and easy to have instead of chips or some other naughty snack, not only better for you but taste great too.

Des: 3. Always have chocolate around for emergencies.....KitKat if possible.

Xandi 4. Don't have chocolate around for emergencies, if you are like me you will have an emergency every 10 minutes. (giggles) Des any helpful hints...

Des: 5. AWWWW stings...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Des: Hey Xandi they say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach...so what is a good meal for a first date? and what would be a good meal before the first intimate liaison?

Xandi: Well to be honest I have no idea maybe we could open this question up to some of our readers.....Hey you out there reading this.... what do you think would be a good meal in these circumstances? Please post a reply in this thread if you have some good suggestion.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Xandi: I am sorry that we have no reviews this week, things have been a little crazy with work and RL but we will try and have something for you next week. I am still awaiting the lavender flowers to make Moirae's cookies and I will try out a fish recipe this next week, promise. I really don't like fish that much but I want to try out some of the recipes given here that might enlighten me as to what I am missing.

Des: Thanks to everyone who has been contributing and reading. We hope that you have found this thread as entertaining as we have and we look forward to continuing it. The local fire brigade will be put on notice this week as I will attempt another omelet. I will let you know how it goes. (LOL)