Everyone's A Hero Again ( Freeform newbie heroes, LGBT friendly )

Started by Dhi, April 20, 2016, 05:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdragon

If anyone wants to plot anything with Helia before hand I'm down for it. She's only been in town a few days, so there's not really anything substantial to set up, but any awkward first meetings/introductions or anything like that would still be cool.

Quote from: Dhi on April 22, 2016, 12:43:39 PM

Speaking of which, I planned to have Helia start out bumming a room.barn loft from a kindly old couple's farm, would you be willing to have her staying at Ishi's farm specifically? It'd just kinda be a starter thing, I planned to have Helia be garbage at farm work to kinda force her to go out and find actual odd jobs/quests in town, but I figured it'd be a pretty natural fit, Ishi being the wise elder passing on sage wisdom and Helia needing all the wisdom she can come by.
What a thrill...with silence and darkness through the night....

Request Thread

Dhi

I'd prefer for adventurers to come together in communal living situations like the tavern. That way, you have cause to rub elbows with folks you wouldn't ordinarily, and can build off one another. If there's an NPC you specifically want to interact with though we can talk about it.

pdragon

Ok, I was coming from the position that she would be so broke she wouldn't be able to afford a room in the tavern, and thus she'd have to be freeloading somewhere or living on the street, but I guess it doesn't matter all that much where she starts.
What a thrill...with silence and darkness through the night....

Request Thread

caelcormac

Here is my belated application.

Name: Stanis
Race: Human (with a teeny bit of giant)
Sex: Male
Orientation: Straight

Mode of Attack: Let me Axe you a question! (One handed Axe attack)

One Thing In My Pack: Big, warm wooly sweater from mom.

Description: Standing at a puny 6'7" and a lean 280 pounds, Stan was the smallest man in his village, and has been pleasantly surprised to find that everywhere else considers him to be tall. His black hair is kept cut short and practical and his dark brown eyes gaze out from a thin bur friendly face. Stan always has an easy going smile and a little twinkle of mischief in his eyes. He tries to keep vlean shaven, but his dark beard and irregular shaving schedule often leave him with a 5 o'clock shadow. Stans clothes are rugged and practical, with leather boots and vest worn over a green linen shirt and brown wool pants. Slung across his back is his trusty axe, a large single bladed axe that was designed to fell trees as opposed to monsters, bit will do well enough until he gets a proper weapon.

Personality: Cheerful and outgoing, Stan couldn't be happier to be out of his village and beginning his life as an adventure. His village built things big and sturdy so things in Amberdale  make him seem clumsy: bumping his head on low doors, triping on small furniture, and finding the plates and silverware a bit too small. He takes it all in stride, offering to help clean up whatever mess he's just made, and never making an even bigger one in the process. Well, hardly ever.

Likes: Trees, Being Outdoors, Working Hard, Partying Harder

Dislikes: Lazy or Slovenly people, Low ceilings, small rooms, being called 'Tiny' ironically or otherwise.

Story: Bestla's Landing is a logging village deep in the forest, home to an especially large breed of humans that once bred work giants. Now they are lumberjacks and woodsman,and every man, woman, and child learns to swing an axe from a young age. Stanis is the middle child of 5 brothers, and is the smallest of not only them but of everyone in the village, earning him the hated nickname "Tiny".

Tired of being treated like he was small and helpless, he left to prove that just because he's small doesn't mean he can't make a big impact in the world by by becoming a hero. Imagine his surprise when he got to Amberdale and found out he is one of the biggest people around. And the fact that nobody knows his nickname here makes it even better.

Notes:

As much as I wanted to use the battle beagle, I just couldn't make it work, so here is an giant, axe swinging lumberjack. I'm aware that my pic has a bow and a sword, but it was the best I could find.

Dhi

Stanis is approved, welcome!

Name: Pris Cotton
Race: Human
Sex: Female
Orientation: Bisexual

Mode of Attack: Pitchfork blunted with age
One Thing In My Pack: Animal treats

Description: Curves for days lend credence to the adage that milk does a body good. The dairy cows certainly do a brisk business with Pris at the helm of Cotton Ranch, though her dear departed dad certainly wouldn't approve- she carries his sensibilities with her in modest manner and modest dress, though it happens to be stuffed to capacity. A smattering of freckles here and there and everywhere from a youth of ranch sunburn becomes hidden with a touch of rouge and milk of roses. She'd really rather you didn't notice, but her sharp eyes betray a clever girl with a stubborn will. There's no hiding from Pris Cotton where the gaze settles.
More

Personality: Determined! Tidy, certainly, a conscientious woman is the guardian angel of Cotton Ranch from dawn til dusk; Pris will never leave for tomorrow a job that could be done today. With the gumption of a firecracker she's rolling up her sleeves and putting out every fire with a little help from the local adventurers for hire. Unfortunately, Pris has the idea in her head that apple pie or a jar of honey are fair trade for mercenary work. She's rarely good for a single coin and abhors charity. The nerve of some people, trying to claim a handout with two capable arms!
Likes: Animal rescues, artisinal foods, beautifying Amberdale, milking, the superiority of animal-people
Dislikes: Cruelty to animals, shoddy work ethic, giving up control of the ranch, having freckles
Story: It takes a pioneering soul to carve out a ranch on the verge of Oldwall Forest. Pris' dad was such a soul, and after Mr. Cotton's demise, the mantle fell to unwed Pris to shepherd Amberdale's precious animals from the dangers of the woods. Out there on Cotton Ranch she works every hour of the day pampering sheep and dairy cows and hens and bees, and what comes to town three times a week are the prettiest little stenciled jugs, lace-wrapped jars, ribboned egg baskets and spun fleece. Everything out at Cotton Ranch is made with love, but not a bit of meat is sold. Don't even ask!

A Person On A Computer

So, I took a bit of time thinking and came up with a new concept.  I hope it meets your approval! 

Name: Shigure Tenma
Sex: Male
Orientation: Heterosexual

Mode of Attack: Steel, Blood, and Bone - While Shigure primarily uses his twin blades to fight with speedy footwork, his family has a saying.  "Blades until they break, muscles until they tear, bone until they shatter."  He has been trained to use weapon as well as the physical force of his body to bring down an opponent. 
One Thing In My Pack: A copy of How to Make Friends and Counter Social Anxiety, Vol. I

Description: Standing at approximately 5'10" tall, Shigure's body is one of a person who has never missed a day of training in their life.  Built incredibly lean, his physique is one rife with tightly-packed, springy muscle that is made for fast-twitch reflexes to deliver a precise, powerful strike rather than bulky muscle made for lifting and power.  Akin to a dancer or gymnast at its peak, it is obvious when looking at him that he is an imposing sight.  Jet black locks of straight hair that hang down to his mid-back frame a face that may as well have been finely-crafted from chiseled marble and a pair of intense, pale eyes the color of the sun when high in the sky.  Due to his years of training, he carries himself with an almost wolf-like grace--an air of physical danger permeates his immediate surroundings as if Death itself stalks him in the hopes that he will slay someone else nearby with the precision of an assassin. 
Personality: Despite his rather intimidating looks and demeanor, in reality all Shigure has ever wanted was a friend.  Due to carrying his family's legacy as the legendary warriors of the continent the Tenma clan, he has trained every day of his entire life without stopping to consider what a social life would actually be like.  A body like his did not come without a price, but after getting older and never even having been able to hit it off with a woman despite the fact that his intimidating demeanor seemed to portray that women would willingly throw themselves at him, he often found himself wondering whether or not the price was just too high.  People fear him despite the fact that he really is just a nice person wanting to get to know someone well.  Despite the fact that the motto of the Tenma clan is that each one of their members should be the equivalent of a small army (and since Shigure was to be the heir, he should eventually be the equivalent of at least ten!), he has difficulty completing even the most mundane quests due to the fact that people mistake him for a high level adventurer and bypass him thinking that their quests are just a waste of time for him.  It is downright discouraging, but he won't give up!  He has recently found a book to help him get over his social problems, so he has an ace in the hole now! 
Likes: Swords, training, meditation, pondering the mysteries of life, learning new skills (maybe they will help him socially relate to people?  That's in Chapter XI!)
Dislikes: People who judge others by their appearance, disrespecting others. 
Story: Born as the only son to the head of the Tenma clan was no joking matter.  Legendary warriors renowned throughout the continent, they were the stuff legends were made of.  Literally.  Almost every tale known referenced a member of their ancestry in some physical capacity saving the world from imminent disaster.  It was into such a family that Shigure was thrust.  Daily training piled on with special training compounded with warrior ethics was crammed into his mind and body every day since as far back as he could imagine.  The Elders taught him how to look to strike fear into the hearts of his enemies (Secret Technique: Glare of the Fire-Hearted Sky Serpent) that once mastered had caused the Orc Lord Gruth'kar to defecate his own loincloth and run from the battle which he headed the entire host of the combined Orc and Goblin forces according to legend. 

It had taken a great deal of time for his training to be completed, but once he came back to himself, he had already left his teenage years behind to never have been very close to a woman.  Nor had he even completed a quest!  Despite all the training from his family, he had never passed level one!  However, he has been defeated again and again at the most basic quests.  The scion of the Tenma clan looks so experienced and intimidating that the villagers will not even approach him to ask him to complete a quest for them!  They do not want to even waste his time!  The shame to his family if they knew!  But, what villager would want to waste the time of a warrior of the legendary Tenma clan with their low level quest?  And because Shigure has been training his entire life without having been socialized with anyone besides gruff Elders of his own clan without even having siblings to talk to, he is unable to correct these misconceptions of the villagers himself!  Having stumbled upon a book to help build his social skills, he has learned his new secret weapon.  How to smile!  Though, he has no idea why it seems to cause people to run away from him in terror... 

Dhi

Shigure Tenma looks good for the most part. His extensive training threatens to logically put him ahead of other characters. I understand where you're coming from with the Confucian approach to hero-forging though, so I'm going to trust you to not play him as an iaijutsu master. He sounds like fun. Approved!

At this point if you've posted a character in this thread I ought to have reviewed and approved.

You can go ahead and copy those characters over to the approved sheet thread here:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=248042

A Person On A Computer

I'm basically going for the "all tough look and will never succeed" kind of thing.  The Hulk could probably beat every opponent the Avengers face, for example, but he has enough crippling defects that ensure he never gets to that level of effectiveness.  xD

Thanks for understanding and approving!  I'll make sure not to abuse that trust!

Steir

Quote from: A Person On A Computer on April 22, 2016, 11:45:18 PM
I'm basically going for the "all tough look and will never succeed" kind of thing.  The Hulk could probably beat every opponent the Avengers face, for example, but he has enough crippling defects that ensure he never gets to that level of effectiveness.  xD

Thanks for understanding and approving!  I'll make sure not to abuse that trust!
Shigure's case reminds me of one chapter or two in Gintama, when the team needs to help this fearsome and huge mercenary learn how to make friends. I can see how Jacques will try helping out with that and getting mixed (and probably hilarious) results.

:D

Dhi

A Person On A Computer

Quote from: Steir on April 23, 2016, 12:49:48 AM
Shigure's case reminds me of one chapter or two in Gintama, when the team needs to help this fearsome and huge mercenary learn how to make friends. I can see how Jacques will try helping out with that and getting mixed (and probably hilarious) results.

:D
Totally up for that!  Feel free to interact with Shigure at let the magic happen!  xD

Crash

Name: Esmerelda
Orientation: Pansexual

Mode of Attack: Sick’em Pinky!  - Esmerelda is a lover not a fighter.  When the going gets tough, send in Pinky!  Pinky is the nickname of Esmerelda’s former and jealous lover, who is also her most favorite skeleton.  While Pinky (Penny Alabaster) was annoyingly jealous when she was alive, an unfortunate fall resulted in her death while she was spying on an adulterous Esmerelda. The turned out to be a real blessing in disguise….for Esmerelda.  Pinky’s jealously in death as made her one heck of a bodyguard.  Yes she is a frail skeleton and has little idea how to wield the axe she carries, but she is really easy to put back together and forever willing to get in the way of danger so Esmerelda can turn tail and run.  The relationship isn’t all one way (anymore).  Esmerelda lavishes a lot of attention on Pinky touching up her pink dye and painting her metacarpals and metatarsals pretty colors.

One Extra Trick: Bolt of Inky Black Stuff – Esmerelda has learned her newest spell, but it backfires often covering her with ectoplasmic goo.  She would much rather have Pinky bash things.

One Thing In My Pack: Canopic Jar she got on a family vacation to the Hotalota Desert Kingdom.

Description: Esmerelda is tall and shapely with porcelain white skin and bubblegum pink hair.  No one knows exactly how her hair got that color or what bubble gum is, but the quirky Necromancer frightens most people so they don’t really question it.  Esmerelda likes to wear revealing mourning wear.  She says it is a reminder of the beauty of death, but really she just knows she looks damn good in it.
Personality: Esmerelda is pretty self-involved.  She tried being all moody and dark, but it didn’t really work for her.  If you can get around the fact that her world totally revolves around her Esmerelda she can be pleasant enough and if you get her around a graveyard she can be down-right frisky.  Don’t expect her to stick around if things get hairy though.  Her idea of helping is sicking Pinky on the nearest threat then hiding until the danger is gone.
Likes: Graveyards, Gifts, Flattery, Being Watched, Outdoor sex
Dislikes: Animals, bland sex, bad hygiene
Story: Esmerelda has always found a way to get out of doing anything that resembles work.  For the most part she has been pretty successful.  Yeah she may flirt, cajole and use her wiles to get her way, but that is hardly work.  Esmerelda hooked up with a local necromancer for a while in hopes of learning how to stay eternally young, but found some of the rituals really icky and a lot of work so she hasn’t progressed in her studies to far yet.  That and she dumped the guy because he was a real downer so she has had to figure it all out on her own.  Esmerelda can often be found at the town cemetery.   She finds it both calming and exciting and really likes the old crypts for their craftsmanship.

Name: Low Moon Sung
Race: Wererabbit

Mode of Attack: Sneaky, sneaky.  Stabby, Stabby.  – Low works best when she has the element of surprise.

One Extra Trick: Ninja Stars!!!!! – Low throws shurikens

One Thing In My Pack: Shiny things of little value to anyone but her.

Description: Low is a quick little bunny with brown ears and brown hair.  She is petite, yet thick in the hip.  Low dresses in whatever patchwork clothing she feels looks interesting regardless of whether or not the article of clothing makes sense with the rest of her outfit.  She is a hodgepodge of stolen goodies and discarded treasures. 
Personality: When she isn’t stealing something Low is lazing about or in the middle of whatever sexual encounter she feels like having when she is feeling in the mood.  Full Moons are particularly arousing times for the wererabbit.  Poor Low has a bad reputation around town, but she is really pretty harmless.  Half the time what she steals in really only of interest to her and seen as useless baubles by others.  That doesn’t stop her from stealing valuables, they just aren’t a priority unless they are shiny or pretty.
Likes: Pretty much anything not in offs.  Like most bunnies Low really likes sex.
Dislikes: Bondage, Bathroom Stuff, Pain
Story: Low has a few warrens just outside of Amberdale.  The wardens know about her main warren, a small but cozy place near the outskirts of town, but Low is a smart little bunny and never stashes her favorite things there.  Those go in her “bank vaults.”  While Low is generally a harmless annoyance to the town she can fight, she just does not fight fair.  Low would much rather ambush and trick others than stand toe to toe with them.  Her moonblade knives look impressive and she has scared enough things off with them even though they have no real abilities.

If you are looking for hidden places around the valley you could do much worse than asking Low, just remember to check your coin purse before you leave and bring something to trade. Low doesn’t give anything away for free.  If you want training from Low you have to catch her first.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Idlewyld

Name: Maelynn Swallowtail
Race: Lepidopteran
Orientation: Bi

Mode of Attack: Dive attack - Sarinda doesn't really deal a lot of melee damage on the ground, but when she builds up speed from above, watch out!

One Thing In My Pack: Weather Marker - A small music-box-like device that predicts the weather with about the same accuracy as your typical modern-day weather forecast, but it's better than nothing and certainly helpful when your entire livelihood depends on wind conditions.

Description: As you might imagine, Mae is small (about 5'2") and very frail, about 90 pounds  - Lepidopterans are unnaturally light due to their need to fly. She has a set of large aquamarine butterfly wings with which she sails upon the wind. Other than that she doesn't look particularly extraordinary with deep brown eyes and short cut brown hair.
Personality: Maelynn has a bubbly optimistic personality. Because the Lepidopteran race is isolated from the rest of the world, she is somewhat more naive and trusting than is probably good for her health.
Dislikes: Being treated roughly. Bondage. Spiders. Especially spiders.
Story: Maelynn is a member of the Swallowtail race from the Rose Kaleido, deep in the woods. She had as happy a larvahood as any Lepi could want. But while she was in her chrysalis state, slavers took her pupa with intent to imprint upon them upon her emergence, making for the perfect slave with no will. Through some (preferably PC-related) turn of events, the slaver was driven off and she was free to emerge in peace. But she is far from home, or anything familiar.

Yarnover

This is adorable and I would love to join. That is, if you don't think the game is already full?
O/Os ~ ~ A/As

Crash

It is a sandbox style game so I don't believe Dhi is limiting the number of players.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Crash

Name: Bubbles Greenbottle
Race: Elfling (Half-Elf, Half-Halfling)
Orientation: Lesbian

Mode of Attack: Spiraling Utensil Strike – Bubbles brains things with frying pans, rolling pins, cutlery and other kitchen utensils

One Thing In My Pack: Utility belt o’ Spices

Description: Pleasantly plump and slightly short Bubbles is considered too tall and skinny by Halfling standards and to full of figure for her Elven family. Bubbles has a bit of a complex about her looks because of this.  She has a heart shaped face, is thick in her hips and thighs and is quite busty for an elf(ling).  Her ears are long and pointy and she has chestnut brown hair that falls just to her shoulders.  While at work she often has flour or sauce stuck to her cheeks or the tip of her nose.  Bubbles is never without her utility belt of spices and a filet knife.
Personality: Bubbles is as effervescent as her name. Sometimes it seems impossible for her to be depressed or sad.  This isn’t true, she just keeps those times to herself. She is a hard worker and more than willing to pull her weight be it in the kitchen or an adventuring party.  Her curiosity for new and interesting delights does not end in the kitchen as the few young maidens she has had the chance to take to her chambers have found out.  She is self-conscious about her looks since she has not fit in in Halfling or Elven communities. Bubbles hopes that Amberdale, being a way point for many races will be a place she can feel comfortable in her own skin.
Likes: She’s a foodie!  Eating it, being smothered with it having it eaten off of her…it is all good,   the stickier and sweeter the better, Making new recipes out of the oddest things, Taverns, Adventure.
Dislikes: Elves that are snooty, hunger, selfishness, bland food, wastefulness, bathroom stuff, pain
Story: The Greenbottle family is known for their beer and the distinctive green bottle it comes in.  Bubbles, named by her father, took an interest in food rather than beer, much to the chagrin of her mother and father.  They had high hopes that their daughter would come around and be another cog in the Greenbottle wheel, but Bubbles would not be deterred.  Always a bit of a scrapper Bubbles took to working in the family tavern for a time because she could handle herself with any handsy patrons and it gave her a chance to follow her real passion…cooking.  Her parents were equally stubborn however and insisted that she come back to work at the family brewery.  Fed up with the constant badging, Bubbles left her family home to make her way out in the world.  She has settled in Amberdale and taken to working in the local Inn as a cook.  Her boss, a penny pinching troll of a troll named MacDoogle, insists on using the cheapest ingredients and serving the costumers as quickly as possible which is quickly driving Bubbles insane.  To help bring MacDoogle’s up to a class of cuisine that Bubbles feels is worth of her time and talents she can be often be found rooting around the forest outside of Amberdale for interesting new ingredients or asking others to do that for her.

Rel Mayer

I still plan on creating a character. I'm just running a bit behind in the creation process. :)

Dhi

No problem Rel. I don't plan on putting a limit on characters now or anytime soon. There are going to be more quests and if things go to plan quests will be short enough that new adventurers can jump in without feeling like you've missed half the movie.

Bubbles looks good and is approved!

Maelynn's Weather Marker doesn't sound too lavish or game-breaking but it sounds like something magical nobody else can get or have instead of the kind of thing you could pick up with limited means. Can you make it a more mundane weather prediction kit?

Idlewyld

Quote from: Dhi on April 23, 2016, 11:55:26 PM
Maelynn's Weather Marker doesn't sound too lavish or game-breaking but it sounds like something magical nobody else can get or have instead of the kind of thing you could pick up with limited means. Can you make it a more mundane weather prediction kit?

I suppose we could just change it to a book - 101 Easy Ways to Predict Coming Weather Conditions

Dhi

Yarnover

Name: Callie Rhodes
Race: fae-blooded human
Sex: Intersex

Mode of Attack: She's mostly about distraction. Callie uses anything from music to her "feminine whiles" to gain someone's attention and then attacks if necessary. She has some small amount of training in martial arts and also tries to use her scarf to trip opponents in a large group melee. But that's assuming she has to fight and won't just be able to calm someone down with some soothing music.
One Thing In My Pack: Although she can play a few string instruments, Callie is never without her tambourines.

Description: Somewhat tall and generously proportioned though her legs seem to go on forever. She's toned from dancing but not so much that she completely loses the bit of cushion that her love of food affords her. Long auburn hair sits tidy in a braid down her back and she rarely lets it down.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
(I can't find any face or bust pictures of her yet)

Personality: Playful, fun-loving and kind; Callie lives for new experiences. She likes to meet new people and help out and she's the first to find the bright side of a situation or - conversely - add in some music to give the situation a bright side. However she's a bit short-sighted and tends to take many-a-leap without thinking it through first.
Likes: Gourmet food - particularly cheeses and drinks, fruits of all kinds, reading romance novels, playing games and Callie just LOVES it when someone else plays the music so she can just dance!
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
As for what I'm looking for: She fits the role of a "cheerleader" quite well I think but Callie dislikes being alone. I'm hoping to find one or two others that she can form a party of sorts with and she'll go on adventures and take quests with them.

Surprisingly, Callie is actually a virgin. She has flirted and kissed several but sex is entirely a new thing, unless you count the smut that she can't seem to get enough of... If someone wanted to take her virginity that would be great. I intend for her to grow into someone polyamorous eventually.

Please keep in mind Callie was born intersex and doesn't have typical female genitalia even though she completely identifies as female. If you ask I can give specifics but she is uninitiated and doesn't believe there is anything wrong with her so keeping it secret for now works well and I'm open for scenarios involving surprise and even - possibly - rejection

Dislikes: Poor hygiene, beer breath, unwanted advances (in general just see my ons and offs)
Story: She struck out on her own a little too early but the wanderlust her fae heritage gave her was too much for the orphanage and the abbey to contain. School, rules and monotony kept her itching for freedom so she was out there nearly a year before the nuns would normally allow it. But Callie's a pretty smart young lady and they were fairly certain she would be OK on her own.
O/Os ~ ~ A/As

Dhi

Wolfy

Dhi

Wolfy