Unknown Armies (always recruiting)

Started by Kythia, August 06, 2013, 08:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kythia

Yeah, feel free to post here.

OK.  Obsession skills.  You should have picked an obsession, which is essentially your raison d'etre.  This doesn't have to be a high and mighty goal to end world hunger or cure AIDS.  In fact, arguably it shouldn't.  It's a personal thing to your character that is about what keeps them going.  Do they want to be tough enough that no one will ever spill their pint?  Do they want to be good looking and able to have as many drinks bought them as they can get?  Do they want to powerful - if so, how?  Do they maybe want to keep their family safe?  Are they willing to do anything it takes to make sure Trade Unionism thrives?  What drives them, basically.

From that, pick an obsession skill.  The obsession skill is the main way they go about achieving that.  Lets take the committed trade unionist, purely because it's the last example I gave.  An obsession skill could be "charm".  They seek to convince others of the glory of the labour movement through their charisma.  "Debate" is similar, but a different focus.  "Politics" would be a different focus again.  "Kidnap and brainwash" yet another, "Develop Mind Control Gas" still another.

In game terms, you can always "flip flop" your obsession skill.  That means switch the tens and units round.  So if you roll an 81 on your obsession skill you can, if you wish, change that into an 18.  There are also some other benefits if your obsession skill is a combat skill, I'll go over those if they come up.

Kythia

Darras - could you give me a Rank 3 helplessness check.  Let me know if that makes no sense or if you can't figure the dicebot.

darras

Ok.... Let's see if this works -

At 2014-01-31 04:20:59, Jessica (uid: 50306) rolls: 1d100 Result: 83

If it doesn't work my Guardian-reading, tea-swilling, blanket-wearing, Southern self compels me to admit this was a failed roll and that I need a failed check :/ Do we have a character sheet thread?

Kythia

They're currently in the first post of the IC until that mystical day when I get Mirror-reading, Dog-drinking, dole-collecting, weather-ignoring self in gear to shift it to the wiki.  Was meant to be tonight but I got distracted...

darras

:D Understandably, that's a lot of multitasking for a Northerner! *ducks*

Rook Seidhr

Been having some problems. Will be back soon, I promise.

Kythia

No worries, Riveda.  Sorry to hear it.  PM box is open if there's anything I can do

Blythe

Quote from: Riveda on February 01, 2014, 03:41:42 AM
Been having some problems. Will be back soon, I promise.

Take care of yourself, Riveda.  :-\ Looking forward to when you're back.

darras

Likewise Riveda. Hope everything works out swiftly! And hey.. on the slim chance that a total stranger's shoulder is what you need, my PM box is also open.

Remiel

So I caught a Barclay's Premier League game today.  Apparently Newcastle was playing Sunderland.  One team was in yellow; the other was in black and white.  I didn't know which team was which, so I cheered for the guys in yellow, since they were clearly the better team.  Plus, they had U.S. National Jozy Altidore playing for them, so yay!

Kythia

Yeah.  Hence my current drunkenness. 

darras

I suddenly notice I post in the past tense and everyone else uses present..

Tense mixing is a massive problem of mine, so I apologise to everyone who finds it twitch inducing.. I shall do my best to switch to present tense and stay there! Do point out though.. if I slip back.

As far as I know.. Newcastle are black and white usually. But then again, I am not really much of an expert on football. Aren't Sunderland red? Then again, away kits do bring a whole new level of confusing to the whole shebang.

Kythia

Don't worry about it, I hadn't actually noticed.

NUFC are black and white yeah (the magpies).  Sunderland play in red and white normally but their away kit is yellow.

Eclectic

Sorry about the extended silence!  My weekend (which is not saturday/sunday like most god-fearing americans) ended on the same day I was approved for the site.  So I've been wandering through all the newly opened sections like a rube in the city.  I've been working and reworking my character for the game a lot, but I've been having some trouble getting traction, so I think I might put her on the backburner for the time being till my brain latches onto an idea a little more strongly.  I feel awful about flaking out but I promise to keep following the game and when something finally clicks I'll definitely be back to reapply!

Kythia

Not at all Eclectic.  If you're not feeling it, you're not feeling it.  Hope to see you back when you come.

Remiel - funnily enough, to continue our cross-Atlantic exchange, I'm watching a game of American Football at the moment.  I've been cheering for the guys in White because they are obviously the better team.  They, at least, noticed when the game started which has got to be a pretty fundamental skill.

You guys are shit.

Kythia

Least you started off the second half better.  Oh no wait, you totally didn't

Remiel

Oh, man. Karma'd.

Darras--no worries.  I usually prefer past tense, but sometimes I'll find myself slipping into the present in group games.

Eclectic--congratulations on your approval! No worries, I think Kythia is deliberately following an open format to allow players to jump in and/or drop out at will (which is totally the smart way to do it, imo).

darras

Grats on the approval Eclectic! Hope to see you back when the inspiration returns :)

Kythia

In case it wasn't obvious, the brackets round Bran and Riveda are a "he's there but not" indicator.  Drop in when you feel, Riveda, and if Blythe and Remiel could avoid directing anything too obviously towards him until that time.

Remiel

Norm made a roll against his General Education of 30%:

Roll Result: Norm L. Mann rolled: 1d100
Comment:
Result: 42,
Total: 42

I assume that means he failed?

Remiel

Due to recent events, I am withdrawing from this game. 

Blythe

Sorry to hear that, Remiel.  :-\

Um....also, Kythia, sorry about my slow posting. Will post as I can.

Kythia

Yeah, sorry to hear that Remiel.  Door's open if you change your mind. 

No worries, Blythe.  I got myself a bit behind anyway so it's kinda done me a favour.

Rook Seidhr

I've been telling myself all week "OK, today we catch up on UA," but I just can't get back into it with this much backlog. I gotta withdraw. Very sorry! I was enjoying it so much before I got out of step!