News:

Main Menu

Avengers the Movie

Started by Callie Del Noire, April 05, 2012, 02:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

I plan on waiting at least a week after it first comes out here to avoid all the fuss. The first couple of days, the place is going to be PACKED with people, talking and doing stuff to distract from what's happening. I want to see it but I want to enjoy it to the fullest too, so that's the sacrifice I have to make. Plus that'll give me a chance to see what critics have to say about it. If they say it's better than they thought Thor was, I'll definitely have high expectations going in.

Speaking of Chris Evans being Human Torch/Captain America, the FF movies were terrible and that's why it's okay that he's playing Cap now, because the others were so forgettable. The common denominator with all these Marvel movies and whether they suck or not is down to the script; Since their success rate is below 50%, I'm conflicted about being seriously excited about The Avengers. I want to be excited but I don't want to be let down. It's not like the Batman movies where both of them were off the chain so I can't help but be seriously excited about The Dark Knight Rises. I'll just have to cross my fingers.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Chris Brady

For me it's the opposite, most of Marvel movies made after the Blade movie have been 'good' to 'WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE!'  Whereas the DC non-animated films have mostly been subpar.  Did not like the second Batman movie (which I saw first, out of the trilogy) but the first was cool.  Superman was OK, the Green Lantern just plain sucked.

So I am jazzed to see this.

Also, Great Britain has got an exclusive deal for an early release.  Everywhere else is May 4th.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Mathim

Quote from: Chris Brady on April 27, 2012, 05:42:23 PM
For me it's the opposite, most of Marvel movies made after the Blade movie have been 'good' to 'WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE!'  Whereas the DC non-animated films have mostly been subpar.  Did not like the second Batman movie (which I saw first, out of the trilogy) but the first was cool.  Superman was OK, the Green Lantern just plain sucked.

So I am jazzed to see this.

Also, Great Britain has got an exclusive deal for an early release.  Everywhere else is May 4th.

Well, I have to say that in terms of the movies relating to and leading up to the Avengers, yes, those were good; Incredible Hulk, Iron Man (not so much the second one, but not unbearable), Thor, Captain America, those were all very enjoyable, I thought. Could have used a little more of an intro for Hawkeye but there you go (am I the only one who's a little upset that he's white in the movie and not Native American like in the comics? Could they not find a decent actor who at least looks the part?)

When I said their success rate, I'm referring to other Marvel failures like both Ghost Rider films, Elektra (shudder), both F4's, and even Spidey's over-dramatic trilogy. It almost feels like deviating too far from the comics actually makes the movies worse on the whole, even if they 'have to' make them more accessible to non-comic-fans. At least they're attempting to make up for it with Amazing Spider-Man but the trilogy drained me of hope for Spidey's reboot. If the Avengers is as good as I'm daring to hope, then maybe I'll start trusting in Marvel again. They really ought to let actual comic book geeks write these scripts instead of the 'professionals'.

BTW, has anyone been able to find out why Norton abandoned the project and left Ruffalo playing Hulk instead?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

TheGlyphstone

Unofficially, it's apparently because he's kind of dick to work with.

Chris Brady

Mathim, Spiderman was not Marvel's fault.  Sony owns the movie rights to him, currently.  As for the Ghost Rider, Daredevil, Electra, FF et al. They were GOOD, not great.  But watchable for me, in fact, I own most of them and watch them regularily.

Also, Clint Barton, AKA Hawkeye has never been 'Native American'.  In both regular and Ultimate Marvel (Which these movies is based off of) he's a blond, blue eyed all American boy who grew up in an abused home, and actually, successfully joined the circus.

(Hawkeye, Capt. America fanboy.  >.>)

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Cold Heritage

Quote from: DeMalachine on April 26, 2012, 04:04:28 PM
Just seen it today. Alas, the standout moments for me are a bit too spoilerish to be revealed right now

Well, there are spoiler tags. Just saying. *coughs pointedly*

Quote from: Mathim on April 27, 2012, 05:56:00 PM
(am I the only one who's a little upset that he's white in the movie and not Native American like in the comics?)

I would hazard to say so; I imagine that the rest of us have been reading the comics where Hawkeye's been a blond haired, blue-eyed mega-WASP male since his introduction.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Rinzler

Quote from: Cold Heritage on April 27, 2012, 07:46:11 PM
Well, there are spoiler tags. Just saying. *coughs pointedly*

Hell, I just can't keep my fanboy glee bottled up any longer...  ;D

Please do not click on the spoiler tag below if you do not want your Avengers experience to be, uh, spoiled...

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Thor and the Hulk having a major dust-up in the helicarrier - freakin YES!!! THOR AND HULK GOING AT IT HAMMER AND TONGS. Damn, I really wanted to see this in the film, and hot-diggity, it was there!  ;D

The Hulk jumping out of the helicarrier and onto a fighter jet, which he starts tearing the shit out of. Pilot ejects, but the Hulk catches him. Holy shit!

In fact, the whole sequence of the Hulk going on a major rampage in the helicarrier is just amazing.

Cap, trying to take charge of the situation by giving orders to some cops amidst some major alien mayhem. Cops aren't really interested, until Cap displays some rip-snortin badassery in kicking the shit out of a gang of Chitauri (yeah, they used the name for the Ultimates version of the Skrulls for the aliens - though they didn't shapeshift. In truth, the aliens were a little disappointing, as they were pretty much cannon fodder) which then try to jump him. Cops very eager to start taking his orders soon after.

Tony Stark's snarks: Refers to Thor as 'Shakespeare in the Park'. Suggests Banner might keep calm by smoking a lot of weed on the quiet.

Cap and Iron Man working together to repair a shattered engine of the helicarrier. Amazingly well done, real edge of your seat stuff - a good moment that shows Stark's finer qualities really coming through.

Agent Coulson's fan-love of Cap.

The way Hulk evens the score with Thor later. Basically, one hell of a sucker punch.

Loki finally meeting the Hulk. 'You can't bully me, I'm a god-" exclaims Loki, at which Hulk just picks Loki up and repeatedly smashes him against the floor. 'Puny god,' murmurs the Hulk, striding away as Loki is left in near-catatonic shock.

End credits reveal: Thanos. That is all.  ;D

Cold Heritage

I have heard a dismaying rumour, and in the name of all that is good in the world I need you to confirm or deny.

Does Agent Coulson get killed off? Don't sugar coat it. Give it to me straight, bro. I can handle it. I can take it. Even if it means having butt devastation equal to the force of a billion exploding suns.

Rinzler

Quote from: Cold Heritage on April 27, 2012, 10:25:44 PM
I have heard a dismaying rumour, and in the name of all that is good in the world I need you to confirm or deny.

Does Agent Coulson get killed off? Don't sugar coat it. Give it to me straight, bro. I can handle it. I can take it. Even if it means having butt devastation equal to the force of a billion exploding suns.

Response:

Yeah. Sorry. He buys it - however...there is a scene, involving Nick Fury and a certain set of Captain America collector cards, which might suggest Coulson may not have died. But it looked pretty final on screen, I have to say.

RubySlippers

Okay what exactly are the aliens Skrulls or something else?

Rinzler

Quote from: RubySlippers on April 28, 2012, 03:10:14 PM
Okay what exactly are the aliens Skrulls or something else?

They're Chitauri - the Ultimates version of the Skrulls. However, in this movie, they don't appear to shapeshift. In fact, they're little more than cannon fodder. One of the few weak points in the film, I thought.

LunarSage

Well, considering the FF movies were 100% Ultimates, I can just ignore those movies until they come out with the real (616) FF movies with the same feel as the Iron Man, Thor and Captain America movies.  Heck, I don't even consider the X-men movies to be the X-Men I grew up with.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Cold Heritage

Quote from: LunarSage on April 28, 2012, 06:13:57 PM
Well, considering the FF movies were 100% Ultimates

I wouldn't really go that far. In the Ultimates continuity, the Fantastic Four are twenty-somethings when their book started off, after all.

And it's probably worth taking into account that Ultimate Fanastic Four didn't start coming out until 2004, and the first Fantastic Four film hit theaters in June/July 2005.

Chris Brady

Quote from: LunarSage on April 28, 2012, 06:13:57 PM
Well, considering the FF movies were 100% Ultimates, I can just ignore those movies until they come out with the real (616) FF movies with the same feel as the Iron Man, Thor and Captain America movies.  Heck, I don't even consider the X-men movies to be the X-Men I grew up with.

Um, the Thor, Ironman and the Capt. America movie are also Ultimates universe.

The first X-Men movie was OK.  The second was decent.  The third doesn't exist.

LunarSage

Quote from: Chris Brady on April 29, 2012, 12:15:50 AM
Um, the Thor, Ironman and the Capt. America movie are also Ultimates universe.

Wha?  o.O

Those movies are all clearly 616.  The only thing even vaguely Ultimates about any of them is the absence of Cap's headwings.  That's the 616 Ironman armor.  That's most certainly -not- the stupid Ultimate Thor hammer/axe thing and that's 100% 616 Thor's armor.  Captain America has a purely Vibranium shield, which I think is stupid but I understand they didn't want to confuse moviegoers new to Marvel.  I don't believe that aspect was Ultimates.  Ultimates Cap is an ass as I recall.  That was most certainly 616 Cap.

TheGlyphstone

But Nick Fury is the Ultimate version, isn't he?

LunarSage

That's the only major Ultimate aspect I see in those movies, to be honest.

Chris Brady

Quote from: LunarSage on April 29, 2012, 02:09:18 AM
Wha?  o.O

Those movies are all clearly 616.  The only thing even vaguely Ultimates about any of them is the absence of Cap's headwings.  That's the 616 Ironman armor.  That's most certainly -not- the stupid Ultimate Thor hammer/axe thing and that's 100% 616 Thor's armor.  Captain America has a purely Vibranium shield, which I think is stupid but I understand they didn't want to confuse moviegoers new to Marvel.  I don't believe that aspect was Ultimates.  Ultimates Cap is an ass as I recall.  That was most certainly 616 Cap.

See that was the problem with the Ultimates version of the Marvel heroes, they were all asses.  But, most of the origin stories are pure Ultimate, they just toned down the asshole aspect of the characters (Stan Lee is great for that, he understand people.)  For example Cap's running out at the end of the his movie and getting culture shocked by all the new things is from the Ultimates.

It's not like they copied wholesale, they took bits and pieces from both sides, but it's mostly Ultimate styled stuff rather than the slightly campier 616.

I am not saying it's pure Ultimates, it's all the best parts of it.

LunarSage

I stopped reading Ultimates shortly after they first came out because I thought they were so horrible.  All I can say is the movies give me a solid 616 vibe, where with the FF movies all I got was an Ultimates vibe. 

Doom doesn't have super powers!  >.<

Chris Brady

Quote from: LunarSage on April 29, 2012, 02:13:51 PM
I stopped reading Ultimates shortly after they first came out because I thought they were so horrible.  All I can say is the movies give me a solid 616 vibe, where with the FF movies all I got was an Ultimates vibe. 

Doom doesn't have super powers!  >.<

Yes he does.  He's a full on Wizard and technical genius on par with Tony Stark (unless Stark has been rated higher than Reed Richards in intelligence again.)  And that's the 616 version.

LunarSage

Those aren't super powers.  He's just really smart and has learned how to cast spells.  The way he was portrayed in the FF movies made my skin crawl... making him just another super being (IMO) belittles the awesomeness that is Doom.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: LunarSage on April 29, 2012, 02:23:18 PM
Those aren't super powers.  He's just really smart and has learned how to cast spells.  The way he was portrayed in the FF movies made my skin crawl... making him just another super being (IMO) belittles the awesomeness that is Doom.

I liked Ultimate Doom..he was arrogant, insufferable and able to created bleeding edge tech from discarded cellphones!

Remy

I watched it last night.  And I'm very sorry, but I just didn't get it.  I thought I'd love it, as I liked Thor, and I loved Captain America, and I loved the Hulk ( even if it was with a different actor) but all of them together just didn't cut it for me. 

Glad to see so many enjoyed it though.

Cold Heritage

QuoteIt's not like they copied wholesale

Or even at all. Except for Captain America, whose Ultimate origin doesn't even bother to be different from 616 apart from Rogers not being cast from the same moral mold Superman is so often castigated for being from.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Cold Heritage on April 29, 2012, 03:31:54 PM
Or even at all. Except for Captain America, whose Ultimate origin doesn't even bother to be different from 616 apart from Rogers not being cast from the same moral mold Superman is so often castigated for being from.

Well I see it as more of a 'man out of time'. You got a guy who was raised back when things were a LOT different culturally than today, and literally snatched him out of a war unlike any before or since. He was a guy in the trenches, the one leading the charge. A man who had fought on the front lines for years. I liked the 'soldier' in the movie and am curious to see how the 'man out of time' comes up in the movie this week. I loved that lost look on his face in Times Square when he first started to realize what he lost. One of the things that I hope they put in the DVD/BluRay is the scene that got cut where he gets to see Peggy in the present. Definitently.