Vampire the Requiem

Started by RubySlippers, April 23, 2008, 06:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RubySlippers

Any storytellers here ever think of running a chronicle using these rules?

Khayin

I think about it rather frequently, in fact.  I just never actually do it.  :)

What sort of story or character did you have in mind?

RubySlippers

Well I favor an intimate one a mortal selected by a hoary and powerful Invictus elder to be a Blood Companion as in a source of food as well as being a lover, companion and friend that can be trusted. Daeva would be most likely but other clans might work but this is not going to just be business so most others might have other sources of such food.

It might be fun as a special role in the clan they would not expect her to start out being useful like other recruits, she would likely not be seen as a threat right off the bat since she is not an ideal recruit but could slowly build up her own power base but likely still modest in ambitions.

And with the strong mutual blood bond that would form that is in a manner a source of power and security for my character as it is to her Elder since the Bond assures the loyalty of the vassal. So the emotional ties will likely be very strong long term.

I was thinking if we can add more Invictus players maybe two or three more it might make things interesting for role-playing.

And yes I would strongly favor a female Elder.  ;D

Khayin

Very nice.

Well... I think I could be coaxed into STing.  I won't be able to start for another couple weeks probably, but the idea intrigues me.  My limit is three PCs and I'd like to keep the cast to just vampires (or mortals that will be vampires).

My first instinct would be to use the Chicago setting for the sheer amount of resources available, but I understand that a city as heavily-established as that might turn off some people, so I'm open to suggestion.

Apart from the very cool concept you detailed above, are there any particular things you'd like to see involved?

RubySlippers

Well I can take time to work on my character, mortal most likely, after all luring the lovely exceptional creature into the dark embrace might be fun for role-playing. Striking Looks just a hint is likely for 2 pts., its not good to be TOO attractive just enough to be above average. I'm thinking a brilliant and charismatic academic maybe working towards her doctorate in perhaps philosophy, attractive and educated, refined but still unworldly so she can be groomed easier to the liking of her Elder. I will very likely make her a virgin and innocent since her role is going to be special in the Invictus society.

As for location how about New Orleans after the hurricane cleared out the rabble the Invictus could be moving to recruit and solidify their power as they rebuild the city in their image with the other sides likely rather weakened. Would explain billions of dollars disappearing that is being spent on relief.  ;)

Anyway Ann Rice is from the city enough said.  ;D

Khayin

New Orleans sounds perfect, actually. :)

gideonblake

Is it too late to join this? I'd be interested in playing. :)

RubySlippers

I was waiting for a potential storyteller to reply. But someone stole my books for the WoD setting so I'd have to do this by membory and some on-line resources I'm a bit rusty but would still love to play.

The Great Triangle

I could help run as an ST.  I've got a fair amount of knowledge of the system and have run several tabletop sessions.  So it shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

I'd just need some input on choice of venue and plot elements.

I kind of like Las Vegas and Seattle to run Vampire games in myself.  (Las Vegas has glamour and astounding political instability thanks to the extremely small population of elders, while Seattle has all that noir going for it.)
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

RubySlippers

Well I really wanted to play a character who is a mortal and selected by a powerful elder who is in need of vampire blood from a reliable source to be her consort. Basically an Invictus who chose her from the lot of humanity to be a food source that is reliable for her, lover and friend and who is a mortal not traditional. As in someone not automatically chosen for the ability to gain power fast. Think of The Hunger for an idea. She would seek power but be practical since her main role is to keep her mistress fed and happy everthing else is secondary. So some themes would be exploring the depth of a shared blood bond, the horror of servititude of a sort, alienation from more ambitious Invictus as sort of there and respected only because her Sire is scary at least at first and others.

For a path to power she might focus on non-profit charities with her Sires help to both give her some assets later on vital to be even giving passing value as an Invictus and to add important social pressure assets to her Sire. Plus people dole out money often to a good cause and what happens to it can be a bit of a mystery, like a cut goes to her accounts. Plus she needs to have a large number of retainers to feed from at some point for her need and her Sires. And she might adopt the role of Invictus go to girl to get in to see one of the Elders and host parties for younger vampires so the clan can be in touch with them. Sort of modern and trendier Invictus public relations.

The Great Triangle

That seems like a pretty valid character concept.  Most likely you would go and use your starting merit spread to Purchase your character's sire as a 5 dot ally, then put your remaining dot into Status (Invictus).  That would represent your character just after the embrace.  If you wanted more merits, then you could sell down your humanity to cover your herds and influences.

The character concept lends itself more towards a chronicle set in Seattle than one in Las Vegas though, since no self respecting Invictus elder would go through the effort of moving to Las Vegas in the first place due to the lack of a hierarchy.  Or more precisely, the Invictus would have one elder, who moved in to establish order, and that pretty much keeps any other elders from moving to the city.

Ons and Offs

gideonblake

I've never played either form of Vampire, but I'm sure I could come up with a character concept to play with yours. Perhaps a more enforcer type from the same sire, bodyguard to her pet (since I take it you're set on having a Mistress)? Anyplace sounds fine to me.

The Great Triangle

Bodyguard could work, although in the Invictus faction, you would be more likely to be a Ghoul rather than a full vampire.  Ghouls are humans who drink vampire blood to gain supernatural power.  They're somewhat weaker than vampires, but don't have nearly as many weaknesses.  Specifically, not exploding in sunlight.

You could of course play a vampire of the Invictus, in which case you'd most likely be a midranking member of the Invictus somehow contracted as a bodyguard.  The Vampire factions, if you'd be interested in hearing about them:

Invictus: Conservative vampires concerned about maintaining social order and hierarchy.

Carthians: Liberal vampires who focus on social cohesion and personal development.

Lancea Sanctum: Catholic vampires who focus on being the best monster possible in the name of God.

Circle of the Crone: Pagan vampires who focus on gaining power through the vampiric condition.

Ordo Dracul: Secret society of vampires who work to transcend the limitations of the vampiric curse.

Ons and Offs

Elohim

Actually there is a group of Invictus Body Gaurds,  If I remember correctly their called the Knights of the Thorn.  They're a seriously hard core group of cultured killers essentially.

gideonblake

Being a Knight of the Thorn sounds cool. So does Ordo Dracul, but I wouldn't think that vampire clans get along well with one another. Being a ghoul doesn't sound as appealing just because it doesn't sound like in a fight (which would be his job description) with a vampire, he would be all that great. If I'm mistaken, then that's also a possibility I wouldn't mind delving into.

RubySlippers

Quote from: Great Triangle on May 24, 2008, 11:30:34 AM
That seems like a pretty valid character concept.  Most likely you would go and use your starting merit spread to Purchase your character's sire as a 5 dot ally, then put your remaining dot into Status (Invictus).  That would represent your character just after the embrace.  If you wanted more merits, then you could sell down your humanity to cover your herds and influences.

The character concept lends itself more towards a chronicle set in Seattle than one in Las Vegas though, since no self respecting Invictus elder would go through the effort of moving to Las Vegas in the first place due to the lack of a hierarchy.  Or more precisely, the Invictus would have one elder, who moved in to establish order, and that pretty much keeps any other elders from moving to the city.

Well the Mentor will fit but I was thinking 4 dots someone scary but not uber scary just a "new" Invictus Elder as in someone that cut the throat of enough lesser vampires and her peers to rise to be scary enough. And someone just getting to the point where they need Vampire blood. So the faction will permit an embrace to allow her to safely feed.

Oh and she is going to start as a mortal if I can, I was thinking the intended Sire already chose her carefully and made her an asset more for her social skills and interest in working in charities an area easy to exploit but not overly ambitious.

So for Merirts I'm thinking: Mentor 4 Dots (seasoned Elder but still not as old as others or as connected but no one to underestimate), Striking Looks (1 Dot) likely very appealing and girl-next-door a soft beauty but not TOO attractive and a little other area maybe a Dot in Reaources from a small trust fund. But by Invictus standards would be well otherwise not a contender for membership save one Elder wants her, that can't be ignored. And an ambitious mortal would just not be suitable for her intended role due to the risks to her unlife.

Think a blank slate the Elder can mold to suit her needs and also help guide her lover to be more productive. And remember a herd is not required for her she can feed off rats if she had to, but any animal blood source will work. She and her Sire can collect mortals for that before her tastes shift in role-play.

The Great Triangle

Ruby:  I'm somewhat Leery of allowing a blood potency 7 vampire elder as a 4 dot mentor, but I'd be willing to do it if the Elder was particularly possessive towards her "pet."  Elder vampires, by their very nature, are very powerful and scary, although they do have a certain amount of trouble getting blood.  (except in the Ordo Dracul.)  Starting off as a mortal is alright though, and you could probably make that work just fine.

@Gideon:  Knights of the Thorn do sound pretty okay, although I'd need Seraph to tell me a bit more about them and if they have any associated bloodlines like the fangs of the dragon for the Ordo Dracul before I make a final decision on whether they should be in the game.  As for Ghoul combat capability, ghouls are nearly (~80%) equal to vampires below blood potency 4 in head to head combat.  They have one less ability dot, and two dots worth of supernatural powers instead of three, but otherwise fight the same as a vampire.  Where they really shine is in not having conventional vampire weaknesses.  They can comfortably use incendiary weapons like flamethrowers and dragonbreath shotgun shells (although this is more the province of a Ghoul suicide attacker than a bodyguard) and their small relative weakness compared to vampires pays itself off ten times over with interest when fighting during the day, when most vampires above blood potency 4 will be utterly helpless even if they can wake up.  Finding havens and dealing with any ghoul bodyguards, however, can prove pretty tricky.

Ons and Offs

Elohim

Oops sorry the name was wrong,  I should have realized it wasn't pretentious enough.

"The Most Honorable Order of the Thorn wreathe"

The associated Bloodline is a Deava off shoot called Spina, and wield the Discipline of Courtoisie.  which essentially gives them combat bonuses for being courteous combatants,penalizes opponents who are not,  use social skills in place of combat skills,  and finally deal damage with words alone.

RubySlippers

Well I can move points around and go for a 5 Dot mentor, but the relationship is supposed to be close with her and her Sire likely sharing blood often I can't see an Elder trusting her child and not insisting on some sharing to have a mutual bond. Something else will have to give either she will be attractive as hell and no resources to speak of or have a little money and resources and be not overly attractive more very pretty.

I'll have to get creative I was thinking either a woman with no resources of her own taking care of a sick parent so has hardly any money, but is educated and attractive likely self-educated. Or a college student with some resources who is very bright, socially adept enough for her Sire's needs and won't outshine her. Both might be good to a Hoary Elder vampires sensibilities the first would show a strict code of honor and a love of self-improvement with a compassionate side. The other a modern vampire that could keep her grounded in the modern world a bit.

The concept is not just a food source by a companion and lover the Sire can trust and who is a proper one as opposed to a ghoul. So they are likely going to live in the same haven and likely the same resting place.

The Great Triangle

Alright, that sounds pretty good.  There are some merits in the Invictus book that pertain to getting some extra bonuses from that sort of arrangement.  After your embrace, you can go ahead and ask Seraph about them.   (mostly they involve being able to use your Elder's skills, resources, and other miscelanious bonuses)

I'm perfectly fine with the lover concept and I think it'll work pretty well.  Just remember that you buy your mentor as a level 4 mentor at your own risk.  However, I think I'm going to go ahead and allow new mortal characters 11 merit dots, as long as they understand that they'll be mortal for a while unless they spend some of those merit dots on a merit like wolf blooded, sleepwalker, or some second sight merits, which I'll be allowing. 

Ons and Offs

RubySlippers

Nope a nice normal mortal save she has unknown to her a very powerful friend. I will go with the loving and supportive daughter that way the Sire can kill of the parent at some point and use the sorrow to her advantage to claim her precious creature.

MERITS
Mentor (5)  ~Sire~
Resources (1)  ~Has some limited access to funds.~
Striking Looks (1) 2 pts.  ~Naturally beautiful in a wholesome girl-next-door way.~
Strong Back (1) ~From having to do the lifting and the like of her parent.~
Barfly (1) ~Knows her way around clubs from her days before having to stay with her parent.~
Language (1) ~Latin~
Language (1) ~Spanish~

Just bouncing these around a bit.

The Great Triangle

So I count 13 dots worth of merits.  Remember that the 5th dot costs two and striking looks is a two dot merit.  I'd excise the merits that don't really contribute fully to your character concept or can be represented by specializations.  I'm also going to go ahead and simplify the system if people don't mind.

Ons and Offs

The Great Triangle

Character Sheet:

Abilities:

Power:     Finesse:     Resistance:

Mental Skills:

Academics:    Crafts:      Investigation:

Physical Skills:

Athletics:     Combat:     Stealth:

Social Skills:

Persuasion:   Socialize:    Streetwise:

Merits:

Disciplines:

Willpower:    Health:     Defense:    Blood:    Blood Potency:

Character Creation: 

All abilities start at one, add three points worth of increases, then three specialties.  Specialties add a +1 bonus to any dice pool or stat involving them, or a +2 bonus for a very narrow specialty.  The same +1 specialty may be selected twice to increase it to a +2 specialty.  Vampires get an additional specialty based on their clan.

All skills start at 0.  Choose a primary skill area  (physical, mental or social), and gain 5 points worth of skills.  Then select a secondary skill area, and gain four points worth of skills.  Finally, gain 3 points worth of skills in your tertiary skill area.  A character may not start with a skill rated at five dots.  After distributing skill dots, add 6 skill specialties.  Skill specialties work the same as ability specialties.

Gain 7 dots of merits for a vampire or ghoul, or 11 dots of merits for a mortal.  The 5th dot costs two points.  All merits from second sight, armory, reliquary and vampire supplements are allowed.

If playing a vampire, gain 3 dots of disciplines, two of which must be in clan.  If playing a ghoul, gain two dots of disciplines, one of which must be either Vigor, Celerity, or Resilience. 

A vampire's blood potency starts at 1, and may be increased for 3 merit dots.  A Ghoul's blood potency starts at 0 and may not be increased.  Mortals don't have a blood potency stat.

Health is equal to Resistance + 5, Defense is equal to Finesse and applies against mental attacks, Willpower is equal to twice Resistance, and starting blood for vampires is equal to 1d10 + 1/2 haven location + herd  For ghouls starting blood is equal to 1d6 + Regnant generosity + 1/2 city status.  After long time gaps in game play, blood pools will be emptied and starting blood will be rolled again.

Next I'll post which abilities and skills have been folded into one another and what the clan specialty affiliations are.

Ons and Offs

The Great Triangle

To calculate dice pools from WoD supplements, use guidelines of what skills and abilities have been collapsed into each other to determine your dice pool.  Sub skills and abilities of the ones on your character sheet make excellent specialties, and are the main +1 specialties.

Abilities:

Power: Intellegence, Strength, Presence

Finnesse: Wits, Dexterity, Manipulation

Resistance: Resolve, Stamina, Composure

Skills

Academics: Academics, Science
Crafts: Craft, Computer, Medicine   
Investigation: Investigation, Occult, Politics

Athletics: Athletics, Drive, Survival
Combat: Brawl, Firearms, Weaponry
Stealth: Larceny, Stealth

Persuasion: Animal Ken, Intimidation, Persuasion
Socialize: Empathy, Expression, Socialize
Streetwise: Streetwise, Subterfuge

Clan Ability Affinities:

Daeva: Finnesse
Gangrel: Resistance
Mekhet: Finnesse
Noseferatu: Power
Ventrue: Power

Experience costs:

Abilities: 12 x new dot
Skills: 9 x new dot
Ability Specialty: 8 points
Skill Specialty: 4 points
Merit: 2 x new dot
Discipline (vampire): 5 x new dot for in clan, 8 x new dot for out of clan.
Discipline (ghoul): 8 x new dot for vigor, celerity or resilience, 10 x new dot for any other discipline.
Blood Potency: 8 x new dot
Humanity: 3 x new dot
Morality: 2 x new dot

Ons and Offs

RubySlippers

Name: Edna Jones
MORTAL
Concept: Future Blood Companion
Virtue: Temperance
Vice: Lust

Picture of Character: http://fantasti.cc/user/drewhos/images/image/22061, is far more conservative at the moment but after she is vamped out will likely get a tad darker and even more luscious in her passions and desires.

Abilities:

Power: 2  (Intelligence +1)  Finesse: 2  (Manipulation +1)  Resistance: 2 (Composure +1)

Mental Skills:

Academics: 2 (academics +1, science +1)  Crafts: 1 (computer +1)  Investigation: 1

Physical Skills:

Athletics: 1 (yoga +2)   Combat: 1   Stealth: 1

Social Skills:

Persuasion: 1  Socialize: 3 (empathy +2)  Streetwise: 1

Merits: Language (spanish) 1, Mentor 5, Resources 2, Striking Looks 1.

Disciplines: n/a

Willpower: 5   Health: 7    Defense: 2   Blood: 0   Blood Potency: 0