Game of Thrones - Sandbox/Free-form RP (Now Recruiting!)

Started by BruceTheCat, April 27, 2016, 06:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rel Mayer

Quote from: lockepick on April 28, 2016, 09:46:41 PM
The idea is that his criminal organization would actually be IN King's Landing -- probably general thugs, maybe smuggling depending on his control of the docks -- As for why he showed up: could have been a part of the House Greyjoy surrender that SOMEBODY has to come to King's Landing and be publicly supporting the new regime. My character volunteers (or is drafted, either way) for his new 'business venture'.

I would say my character probably isn't too invested in Ava's growth. I would say that Victarion's chance at rulership was the end of his line's attempts for the throne. My character certainly has no intent of ruling the Iron Islands. I would say that given his 'unconventional' approach to things compared to the rest of the Greyjoy, his reaction to Ava will mostly be depending on how she treats him.

Sorry lockepick! I missed this until just now:

I honestly think that, depending on what the character looks like when he's up, Ava will not try to cross him and be on his bad side. Actually the opposite, she's going to continue and try and win his favor. As long as he doesn't cause any harm to the Iron Isles, because a lot of her focus is to unify and bring them together while she attempts to conquer mainland.

So you're character would be stationed in King's Landing? If so, that should work out pretty perfectly.

Extra stuffs:

I'm shocked to say that we've already had a few sheets submitted! We'll approve them once we get a Character Sheet thread up and an OOC. (You guys are really awesome, and they honestly look really good.)

Right now we have a Maester (female), Master of Ships-Greyjoy (male), a King Aegon (male),  and my Salty Queen is almost finished (female).

I'm also for sure bringing in Serah Targaryen, and Red is bringing in a Red Viper.

Lockepick

So idle question, as a cock-hungry dick-pig respectable homosexual -- I'm assuming, since nothing is said to the contrary, Westeros still has the same stance on homosexuality?
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Lockepick

Quote from: Rel Mayer on April 29, 2016, 09:03:40 AM
I honestly think that, depending on what the character looks like when he's up, Ava will not try to cross him and be on his bad side. Actually the opposite, she's going to continue and try and win his favor. As long as he doesn't cause any harm to the Iron Isles, because a lot of her focus is to unify and bring them together while she attempts to conquer mainland.

So you're character would be stationed in King's Landing? If so, that should work out pretty perfectly.

He's not trying to distinctly harm the Iron Isles at all -- arguably he's trying to work towards another Rebellion (at least on the surface). If Ava would be open to him, he'd gladly have somebody like her in his corner. Assuming he isn't too 'heretical' to the Ironblood/Drowned God ways by living in a big city.

As I figured most of the game would be in King's Landing -- That was my thought. If there will actually be RP in Pyke/Iron Isles, could always have him go back and forth too.

I'm actually drafting up a sheet now, and I'll be sending it to the GMs so we can discuss his 'place' in King's Landing -- both legally/publicly, and the exact nature/form of his 'criminal organization'.

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Rel Mayer

Quote from: lockepick on April 29, 2016, 09:04:43 AM
So idle question, as a cock-hungry dick-pig respectable homosexual -- I'm assuming, since nothing is said to the contrary, Westeros still has the same stance on homosexuality?

mmmm... cock-hungry dick-pig

I imagine it kinda like what Biblio is doing with her lesbian lady. They wouldn't be able to have same-sex marriages, but they can have lovers and such. The entire public would not know about it, but of course some would.

Does that make sense?

Quote from: lockepick on April 29, 2016, 09:09:09 AM
He's not trying to distinctly harm the Iron Isles at all -- arguably he's trying to work towards another Rebellion (at least on the surface). If Ava would be open to him, he'd gladly have somebody like her in his corner. Assuming he isn't too 'heretical' to the Ironblood/Drowned God ways by living in a big city.

As I figured most of the game would be in King's Landing -- That was my thought. If there will actually be RP in Pyke/Iron Isles, could always have him go back and forth too.

I'm actually drafting up a sheet now, and I'll be sending it to the GMs so we can discuss his 'place' in King's Landing -- both legally/publicly, and the exact nature/form of his 'criminal organization'.

Sounds good to me!

Lockepick

Quote from: Rel Mayer on April 29, 2016, 09:13:45 AM
I imagine it kinda like what Biblio is doing with her lesbian lady. They wouldn't be able to have same-sex marriages, but they can have lovers and such. The entire public would not know about it, but of course some would.

Well, I was asking more about what happens when/if it becomes public (or if rumors start) -- but knowing it's kept secret sort of gives an answer there. Also: I'm presuming the crazy 'lock up the gays' church isn't still in any kind of power. I figure it's the typical "As long as you produce an heir and don't go waving it around -- you're fine" ?

The Dark Raven

Quote from: lockepick on April 29, 2016, 09:29:07 AM
Well, I was asking more about what happens when/if it becomes public (or if rumors start) -- but knowing it's kept secret sort of gives an answer there. Also: I'm presuming the crazy 'lock up the gays' church isn't still in any kind of power. I figure it's the typical "As long as you produce an heir and don't go waving it around -- you're fine" ?

I think I missed that one in the books...

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

sweets

Good point lockpick what happened to the Faith Militant?

The church itself would still exist I think as they were simply an arm of the Faith of the Seven and trying to due away with the religion that was very big in Westoros would only cause more problems.

Caela

Quote from: The Dark Raven on April 29, 2016, 09:53:28 AM
I think I missed that one in the books...

The Faith of the Seven sees homosexuality as a sin...which does beg the question...where do the various faiths stand at this point in Westeros? Are the Old Gods still worshipped in the North? Did the Sparrows sort of manage to take over religious practices to become the dominant religion? That sort of thing.

Ryven

Quote from: Bibliophilia on April 28, 2016, 11:40:38 PM
Ry, it might be kind of interesting if your character was the bastard child of Maeryn's father.

Her father was the son of Tommen and Margaery, and if your character is actually older than she is and the decree does make her the head of her house, then it could make for some really interesting storylines.

Well, I think Red kind of debunked this plan because the decree doesn't work that way, but if you have other ideas, I'm all for hearing them.  What I have right now are just loose ideas of my character being some kind of either A) Brothel owner who not only caters to the needs of those looking but also gathers intelligence from his courtesans via after sex pillow talk and what not.  The other option B) would be some kind of role like the Spider/Varys from the show, but I'd REALLY like some kind of tragic/drama/scandal for him as well since simply playing a character like that makes him a bit too powerful, one-sided, and uninteresting.  His house and affiliation could be the answer to this, but I'm not sure how yet.  I'm not really good with coming up with connections like this and I don't know a lot of the history of the houses to try coming up with something either.

Ryven

Quote from: Caela on April 29, 2016, 10:05:34 AM
The Faith of the Seven sees homosexuality as a sin...which does beg the question...where do the various faiths stand at this point in Westeros? Are the Old Gods still worshipped in the North? Did the Sparrows sort of manage to take over religious practices to become the dominant religion? That sort of thing.

Sorry, double post.

Well, I could see the Faith Militant being put back into dormancy if they objected in any way to Danny when she returned.  She would have had no problem, I'm sure, about feeding those in her way to her dragons because they saw some kind of sin in her.

BruceTheCat

The Faith Militiant would still be practiced today, but Daenerys squashed their growing power shortly after arriving in Westeros. The primary religion of the country is the Faith of the Seven, but the North would still worship the Old Gods, and free religious practice is still generally allowed.

The Seven do see homosexuality as a sin, but we aren't going to be hardcore about that so that players can orient the sexuality of their character without fear of being persecuted. As long as you produce an heir people usually just let you do what you want.
“Also I've seen that movie, if they're any similar to it, then those guns do not fuck around, please take cover“
- scribus1000

Amelita

I'm always open to further plottings, guys :)

Dorne is particularly easy going about who wants to fuck who, if the tv show is a good source on it anyway, so you know. There's that?

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

BruceTheCat

Quote from: Ryven on April 29, 2016, 10:12:14 AM
Well, I think Red kind of debunked this plan because the decree doesn't work that way, but if you have other ideas, I'm all for hearing them.  What I have right now are just loose ideas of my character being some kind of either A) Brothel owner who not only caters to the needs of those looking but also gathers intelligence from his courtesans via after sex pillow talk and what not.  The other option B) would be some kind of role like the Spider/Varys from the show, but I'd REALLY like some kind of tragic/drama/scandal for him as well since simply playing a character like that makes him a bit too powerful, one-sided, and uninteresting.  His house and affiliation could be the answer to this, but I'm not sure how yet.  I'm not really good with coming up with connections like this and I don't know a lot of the history of the houses to try coming up with something either.

I'm not sure the exact plan you guys are brainstorming about, sorry if what I said makes it no longer possible!

The new law would affect all heirs moving forward. It wouldn't remove the power of a current Head of House who has  an older sister.
“Also I've seen that movie, if they're any similar to it, then those guns do not fuck around, please take cover“
- scribus1000

Ryven

Quote from: Red Lobster on April 29, 2016, 10:28:59 AM
I'm not sure the exact plan you guys are brainstorming about, sorry if what I said makes it no longer possible!

The new law would affect all heirs moving forward. It wouldn't remove the power of a current Head of House who has  an older sister.

It's cool.  I don't think we fully understood how it worked, so it's not your fault.

Quote from: Amelita on April 29, 2016, 10:28:25 AM
I'm always open to further plottings, guys :)

Dorne is particularly easy going about who wants to fuck who, if the tv show is a good source on it anyway, so you know. There's that?

I could make a Martell :P

Lockepick

That was what I was thinking -- but I wasn't sure how much of my opinion/understanding came from HBO sort of gay-baiting and playing up gay sex for shock value. Thanks for the clarification!

To drill down further -- I imagined the Ironborn/Greyjoy would still consider it pretty damning/shameful. Even if they're not following the Faith of the Seven, the Drowned God's dogma has a lot of 'Men Strong, Women Weak' that makes me thinking getting fucked might put you in column B. Though, sixty years later, we've got two female leaders in a row -- so... to make this into a useful question instead of me just prattling on: Do we see the Ironborn/Greyjoy/Drowned God Faith as being more/equal/less tolerant of gays then those in Westeros/Faith of the Seven?

Amelita

Quote from: Ryven on April 29, 2016, 10:30:53 AM
It's cool.  I don't think we fully understood how it worked, so it's not your fault.

I could make a Martell :P

You could be a younger brother who is not trying to kill my girl, that would be fun. Or a cousin. Or something xD
It would tie you into plots with a bunch of peoples too if you'd be interested, regardless of whether he would support my girl or her brother (both viable and plottable options).

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

Rel Mayer

Quote from: lockepick on April 29, 2016, 10:40:03 AM
That was what I was thinking -- but I wasn't sure how much of my opinion/understanding came from HBO sort of gay-baiting and playing up gay sex for shock value. Thanks for the clarification!

To drill down further -- I imagined the Ironborn/Greyjoy would still consider it pretty damning/shameful. Even if they're not following the Faith of the Seven, the Drowned God's dogma has a lot of 'Men Strong, Women Weak' that makes me thinking getting fucked might put you in column B. Though, sixty years later, we've got two female leaders in a row -- so... to make this into a useful question instead of me just prattling on: Do we see the Ironborn/Greyjoy/Drowned God Faith as being more/equal/less tolerant of gays then those in Westeros/Faith of the Seven?

Heya! Just wanna clarify a few things.

So, after Asha's death her son came into power. Asha's son was the father of Ava Greyjoy. Her son was only on the throne for a short while before he met his untimely death. It's all written in my history, but I can always update the main house heads Quick History once people/head's of houses have their sheets made. The way things currently are (before the announcement) is that there cannot be two females succeeding in a row. So you might want to keep that in mind when making your characters.

Because I'm rather indifferent on the issue, and (personally) Ava's worries and cares about the sexuality of a person aren't that really important. So, she won't do anything to put him out of his way, or hinder him. Considering that Greyjoy has had two powerful females within the last sixty years, there may be still a few that think women are weak, but not -all- women are weak.

So, I believe that not a lot has changed in those terms. There hasn't been a movement, and things have stayed pretty standard. It's all about their actions and how powerful they display themselves to be, less about what people do in their free time.  Does that help answer your question?

Lockepick

Rel Mayer

Aiden

So while my character is not of a noble house, he does have a banner that is recognized in Essos.

Stormforge Smithery, now in your local markets! (not including Westeros)

Ryven

OK!  I have a concept, and is as follows:

My character is born of no noble house, but from a young age, he found himself as a talented sailor.  Through the years, he progressed and eventually became captain of his own ship.  He took to learning archery early as well, and he excelled in that as well.  He was not only a competent leader, but when it came time to fight, he proved to be a deadly opponent from afar.  He earned the title Piercer of Hearts after word spread that he killed a rival pirate captain straight through the heart with an arrow from his own ship.  Of course, if asked, he will always explain it that he was given the title because of his flirtatious nature.  He left many women wanting even though he'd court them to other ends.

There was a turning point a few years back when he decided to shift from simple cargo and merchant transport to smuggling.  This change lead him into piracy.  He reaped the rewards for a while until he was cornered by the King's Navy.  The hand of the king, seeing a man of his accord useful, gave him a choice: trial for crimes he'd committed, or being allowed to continue his ventures under a few conditions, those being that if his services were needed in any way, he'd align with the king and his illegal acts would not affect the king in any way.  Naturally, he chose the latter, and has thus far, kept his end of the bargain.  It was not explicit, but he was sure that the king himself was kept in the dark to this deal.

Ship Name: The Arrow

Sigil (non-noble): A heart pierced by an arrow diagonally

Connections: Hand of the king or some other lord in King's Landing, Probably Locke's character since he runs in the smuggling underground

Faceclaim: David Gandy

What do the GMs think?

WhatLiesAbove

I really wanna play in this, but I'm having trouble working out a character concept... :-[

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: Ryven on April 29, 2016, 01:04:48 PM
OK!  I have a concept, and is as follows:

My character is born of no noble house, but from a young age, he found himself as a talented sailor.  Through the years, he progressed and eventually became captain of his own ship.  He took to learning archery early as well, and he excelled in that as well.  He was not only a competent leader, but when it came time to fight, he proved to be a deadly opponent from afar.  He earned the title Piercer of Hearts after word spread that he killed a rival pirate captain straight through the heart with an arrow from his own ship.  Of course, if asked, he will always explain it that he was given the title because of his flirtatious nature.  He left many women wanting even though he'd court them to other ends.

There was a turning point a few years back when he decided to shift from simple cargo and merchant transport to smuggling.  This change lead him into piracy.  He reaped the rewards for a while until he was cornered by the King's Navy.  The hand of the king, seeing a man of his accord useful, gave him a choice: trial for crimes he'd committed, or being allowed to continue his ventures under a few conditions, those being that if his services were needed in any way, he'd align with the king and his illegal acts would not affect the king in any way.  Naturally, he chose the latter, and has thus far, kept his end of the bargain.  It was not explicit, but he was sure that the king himself was kept in the dark to this deal.

Ship Name: The Arrow

Sigil (non-noble): A heart pierced by an arrow diagonally

Connections: Hand of the king or some other lord in King's Landing, Probably Locke's character since he runs in the smuggling underground

Faceclaim: David Gandy

What do the GMs think?

I'd be up for working on some possible connections if you're interested, Ryven.  I've got my Iron Islander dude, former reaver and such who is Master of Ships.
If I can't have you, my love...  I'll destroy you
~World Building Workshop ~ Current Ideas and Requests  ~
~ Preferences ~ Status  ~ Nightmares and Inspirations~
~Gnothi's Stories Without Homes~
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

Ryven

Quote from: GnothiSeauton on April 29, 2016, 01:20:48 PM
I'd be up for working on some possible connections if you're interested, Ryven.  I've got my Iron Islander dude, former reaver and such who is Master of Ships.

Sure!

The Dark Raven

FYI I am at my folks helping with hauling tools while they work.  I only have phone access, but my brain is churning on what I have going.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.