Well fuck.

Started by Vekseid, August 09, 2013, 06:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

http://www.spamhaus.org/query/ip/174.34.164.130
http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/query/SBL193355

That's pretty much all she wrote in terms of being able to send email from our soon-to-be-ex-host.

I have turned off all e-mail notifications for all members on both Elliquiy and Blue Moon, and am commencing the move to the new e-mail server immediately after I finish making this announcement. Since that host charges ten times as much for ip addresses, this should be the last I have to deal with this shit.

Me pissed? Yes. This explains why Google is coming down hard on 'us' all of the sudden.

In any case, if you're a prospective member, or are trying to get a password reset, or anything of that variety, please try again later this evening or tomorrow morning.

Please do not try to reenable notifications until I've moved mail to our server in Florida. I will provide an update when that occurs.

Had a few minor gotchas with the new host in Chicago, but things are close to finished on that front. I'm planning to move a week from Monday (August 19th). The site will be down one or two days, depending on how long it takes to get replication going smoothly.

http://worldenoughandtime.net and http://lunarradiance.net are both active on the Florida server, and will not be affected by the move because they have already moved. The Mumble Server is running on the new slave server in Chicago, and likewise will be unaffected.

Finally, as some of you are aware, this is not an inexpensive operation, in terms of up front costs (~$4k), monthly costs (~$800) or my own time. None of this would be remotely possible without the support of people who value what Elliquiy or Blue Moon provide them.

My Dwolla account is here if you wish to support it, and you can see Paypal information up top. Every bit of help is appreciated, but please remember the first two rules.
1) If money is tight for you, do not donate money.
2) If money is tight for you, do not donate money.

Linking to Elliquiy and Blue Moon, telling people about these places - everyone is enriched by each member that contributes positively to the atmosphere here.

More announcements will be forthcoming after the move, there are a number of projects going on in various stages of completion, and I hope you will find one or more to your liking.

Thank you for your patience, everyone.

Oniya

So, if I read that right, the fact that we're on the SBL has more to do with our being in a 'bad electronic neighborhood' than with anything that Elliquiy has kicked out.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Vekseid

Yes.

Yahoo has actually blocked us too, now, and just about everyone and their grandmother isn't far behind if they haven't already done so.

Not even going to bother trying to fight it this time. Just going to inform Yahoo/Microsoft/AOL that I'm ditching this neighborhood and hope our Florida host's prices and policies will keep spammers at bay.

And yes, this is actually not the first time. : /

steelsmiter

does this mean that E won't show up in searches?

I mean I guess since I'm here (IBTL) it doesn't matter... but that's pretty fucked up on their part.
I don't play in PMs
Who wants to join an incest registry?
O/Os
Download RPGs I wrote on my Discord!
So anyway I guess I'm steelsmiter on fetlife now. Hit me up and tell me you're from E!

Vekseid

This only affects email. Need to do some pretty actively nasty stuff to get blocked from searches.

steelsmiter

Sweet. So if my birthday's 8/17, that means I'll be getting a (late) birtday present in a server upgrade ;D

Though admittedly I share your anger at the cause.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os
So anyway I guess I'm steelsmiter on fetlife now. Hit me up and tell me you're from E!

Ember Star

dang! Well, the move was happening anyway, so I guess it could've been worst. At least we have the reason why.
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

ObscureObscenities

God I wish i could convince my boss to talk to you Vek's, at least you seem to do something about the crap that goes down. Our work emails keep getting flagged down, and put on the black lists cause of one idiot employee that can't figure out how to keep his email from getting taken by spammers constantly. It drops our website and everything else constantly, unfortunately, the idiot likes dealing personally and we are out in Washington, so it's just not going to happen. Salt in the wounds that I've got such close opportunity to have a decent tech person to help who i work for, and they are too stupid and stubborn about things to listen, c'est la vie.

jouzinka

Yikes! You do what you have to, Veks. And we are thankful for it. <3
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Haibane

Ugh, what a mess. I sent you some money via our joint a/c.

Rogue

... this explains where my emails have been going and why they've been so out of order...

backlash84

Quote from: Vekseid on August 09, 2013, 09:44:49 PM
This only affects email. Need to do some pretty actively nasty stuff to get blocked from searches.

Good thing we only deal in the good kind of nasty. :)

Sorry to hear this is going on... I'll be honest, not being very tech smart, I still have no clue whats going on. But I'm glad its fixable, love this site.

Vekseid

As the announcement now mentions, e-mail is functioning from Elliquiy again.

Vekseid

Search will be returning sometime after the move.

AndyZ

Quote from: Vekseid on August 10, 2013, 06:15:30 PM
As the announcement now mentions, e-mail is functioning from Elliquiy again.

Does that mean we're allowed to turn our Notify stuff back on?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: AndyZ on August 10, 2013, 08:24:26 PM
Does that mean we're allowed to turn our Notify stuff back on?

As the message in the ad bar requests please wait a few days.  If it's okay with Veks we could probably start on Tuesday.

AndyZ

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on August 10, 2013, 09:05:34 PM
As the message in the ad bar requests please wait a few days.  If it's okay with Veks we could probably start on Tuesday.

Can do.  TY.

Edit: Just saw the message you meant.  I was still getting the old one.  TY all the same.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Beguile's Mistress

You're welcome.  The original ad was up for a few hours before I saw and Veks had to nudge me toward it.

CriminalMindsFan

I feel stupid because I thought I knew a lot about how computers and the internet work. These issues show me that I don't really know anything about how the internet works. Thanks for keeping us updated and for all that you do to keep the site going.

flubber

So does this mean that I wont be able to use Gmail as my notification email site? I really dont want to have to sign up with another email provider.   :'(
I am anybody's for a hug and a cup of tea. If you give me a plate of buscuits I'll love you forever!

steelsmiter

no it means that you would need to wait a bit before turning notifications back on. I'm given to understand that this is going to be allowed pretty soon but haven't heard hard times on when.

That is unless you're in a hurry to get notifications. then yeah probably so.
I don't play in PMs
O/Os

Oniya

Remember:  Elliquiy provides on-site notifications in two ways:  One is if you bookmark specific threads, you can find them under the 'My Bookmarks' header just under the banner bar.  All bookmarked threads will be listed, and the ones with new postings will have the standard [NEW] marking next to them. 

If you don't want to bookmark, or forget to tag a thread that you've responded to, you can see if there are new responses by going to the 'Show new replies to your posts' link just above the banner bar on the right side of the screen.  This will show any threads that you have posted in that have received new posts.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Ember Star

Yeah, honestly, the only threads I get emails for are ones I click the "notify" by accident. Otherwise I just check the "show new replies to my posts" and if I haven't posted on it, I bookmark it. If I'm not on a lot, the PM emails can be handy, but there's honestly not a huge need for them either. They end up flooding my email and I don't see them until after I reply to the actual PM. There's plenty of ways to see what's new in things you're interested in without emails.
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Vekseid

Quote from: flubber on August 13, 2013, 02:46:11 AM
So does this mean that I wont be able to use Gmail as my notification email site? I really dont want to have to sign up with another email provider.   :'(

Gmail is fine now.

Dhi

I use the email notification system to see replies through my phone while I'm out in the field, when accessing E is not feasible. I'm glad it exists!