What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

I'm getting mine on the record.

Because I like to give good companies money so they can fund more games.

...Unlike a certain kitten who won't be named.

A Certain kitten who hasn't taken me into the closet in a looooooong time. :/

Sabby

Pfft. You were never hidden in that closet, though xD you had the door open the whole time. And I support the companies by buying the game, ripping it and returning it :P it's another unit marked sold, the only damage done is that EB has a preowned to sell. Oh noes!

Wolfy

Yes, I've left that door wide open for you...

But you never enter. D:

Wyrd

My GF got my Civ 5 yesterday. Pretty much still infront of the computer. I... I can't... stop... Civ 5.... too awesome...
Ragtime Dandies!

Sabby

Okay, play Rage on hard. The game is ridiculous easy to break. Costs almost nothing to stock up on a killer arsenal and one shot your way through an entire level. And hell, the lowly pistol is enough to get me by (I still use it, and add a scope and some heavier ammo and you honestly don't need anything else)

Seriously, I just made 70 grenades to be lobbed from a shotgun. Those things are instakills.

Sabby

Dude... this shit is intense.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
I'm in a train tunnel, and there are packs of Mutants down here, that will all swarm on me if I pick up the mission item. They drop from the roof, crawl out of the ground, jump out of the walls, or just sprint in packs like dogs. It only takes a burst to put one down, and I have a fast firing rifle, but there are so many, and they're coming from all directions and they tend to bound and wall hop and flip, anything to avoid your aim long enough to cut into ya.

So I set up two Advanced Turrets, one in each corner, facing the direction where most of their spawn points are, while I sit on a higher level with what is essentially a P90 on steroids. The only spawn points they can't see are in another tunnel, but the Muties have to enter the big room and straight into the crossfire.

So I trigger the Muties, and damn, it is a fucking bloodbath! The first batch run full speed right at the turrets, get chewed apart, and the ones that try to zigzag or wall bounce just end up getting torn up in mid acrobatics and cartwheeling/flipping into a wall or barreling along the ground. Some manage to get pretty close, but they just stumble forward and faceplant at the turrets feet.

Then the second wave comes, from the tunnel, come screeching out and right across the killing floor, torn apart by crossfire before they even get halfway.

Combine this with the fricken amazing animations. Seriously, the transition between animation and ragdoll is seamless, and watching a Mutie take a burst to the chest in full sprint and staggering into a roll to land propped upside down against a wall could only be improved by his weapon flying from his hand and clattering to the ground.

Oh, wait. It totally does that! =D

Samael

Just completed my first (insane, first time), playthrough of Portal.
I was surprised how fast it was over. Is it me or are there really just like 12 or so levels?
(what?! shows I played through it in just 4 hours? O_o)

Still, I loved the portals, and the use of physics was amazing.
I should have played it a lot earlier.
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Wolfy

Playing Dead Rising 2 off the record..and may I say, the Super Massager is my favorite weapon...it kills anything in one hit.

And it's Leaf Blower + Massager

Which creates....a Dildo Cannon.

I shit you not.

Oniya

Dear gods, he's right.  There's a trailer out there.  :o
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Alex Young

Minecraft & Deus Ex really really casually, waiting for Arkham City & Skyrim.
O/O

Hemingway

Hey, Bulletstorm is an excellent game.

That said, I haven't bought Rage. For a few reasons. Like I think I mentioned. But I have some questions. Like how long is it, roughly?

Sabby

My save game says 11 hours so far, but with the minimal plot, the end game could be 15 minutes away and I wouldn't know, so I have no idea where abouts I am :/ and I really padded my game time, doing almost every side quest I could find before the main quests, optional races and such... if it matters, I'm in the second hubworld, but I'm not sure if theres a third.

It's got a good amount of variety though, something shooters are lacking these days. Enemy types are varied enough, even if some of the bandit packs are a little too similar, I haven't found a new weapon in a while, and so far, there's a decent enough selection, the car side of the game is surprisingly diverse, but once again, only just deep enough... seeing a pattern here? The gameplay is fantastic, but pretty much every element of the game brings JUST enough to compliment it, but never more then that.

Don't let that deter you though, it's honestly one of the best shooters I've ever played :3

Hemingway

Since you mentioned Bulletstorm earlier, do they have anything in common? Bulletstorm did blow me away.

On an unrelated note: I bought Fallout 3 because my Xbox version was acting up and frankly it just plays better on a PC. It's not like I haven't played it before, so none of this is new to me, but ... in many ways, the game is better than New Vegas. I like the setting better ( it feels more like a wasteland; New Vegas is too civilized ), it has a better plot ( New Vegas basically has no plot, only the factions make it interesting .. though they do a pretty good job ), and there's just more to explore, more buildings to scavenge in and that sort of thing.

But for some reason or another, New Vegas is just .. more fun! I mean, they essentially improved on all the mechanics from Fallout 3, and just ... forgot to write a plot.

Sabby

Nah, Bulletstorm was a product of the Gears of War heritage, where as Rage is a much much older breed taking sure and steady steps into more modern design. Think of it as Quake or Doom embracing such things as ironsights, item crafting, sprinting and such because it genuinely believes it should be included and not because it feels it must to be appealing.

That's the entire game summed up, basically. It's so perfectly put together. It's a finely crafted marble statue made by an artist who always had the vision of it in his head, where as a game like Dead Island is a creation of Doctor Frankenstien and his three nagging co-workers.

Only real downside to the game is the story. It's barely even there.

Sabby

Well, uhm... that sucked. Really, great game, but that ending was just terrible. I guess this was more like Borderlands then Bulletstorm :/ sudden jarring ending that explains nothing.

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on October 14, 2011, 04:19:14 AM
Well, uhm... that sucked. Really, great game, but that ending was just terrible. I guess this was more like Borderlands then Bulletstorm :/ sudden jarring ending that explains nothing.

Yep, the ending was bad.

Because there will be DLC.

:D

Sabby

Wolfy

Though, it's not like they didn't have, you know, a third disc or something that could have extended the ending and stuffs....lord know, they have to use that third Disc for MULTIPLAYER RACING.

In an FPS.

Sabby

Well, I almost died to get it (You can read how here) but I get Arkham City! Wait, what? o.o my Xbox won't be ready until tomorrow...?

But...

Apple Bloom - but, I want it now

Anyalyss

Might and Magic Heroes 6

I love it except for a few bugs, the town screens (although they say that they will include them later on with a patch *crosses fingers*), castle graphics (necropolis is terrible) and the lack of dragon units.
O&O's    A&A's

Sabby

Loving Arkham City, but the plot is just silly looking, cramming every villain in every Batman ever into one story xD it could be worse, but... well...

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
We've gone from 'lols, gangs fighting' to 'lols, ninjas' to 'lol, immortals' to 'lol, secret underground steampunk utopia protected by ancient robots'

Inkidu

I love Arkham City. It's probably easily one of the top five best games of 2011.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Wow, that bossfight in the sand dimension was great... oh, I wasn't throwing out random words there, there's actually a Highlander style boss fight in a friggen sand dimension. And it's not even an important part of the plot, its a road bump.

Hemingway

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon.

I am thoroughly impressed. I've wanted a flight "sim" for a long time now, and this game really delivers. It feels a lot more action-packed than HAWX ( which I thought was great ), and ... well, it doesn't have the safety off mode HAWX had, of course, but it has a Dog Fighting Mode which essentially lets you stay on an enemy's tail without having to actually follow their every move. When they try losing you over exploding oil fields and under collapsing smokestacks, well, it makes for some really intense action.

Alex Young

It sucks that Arkham City was pushed back another month for the PC. I have an xbox but mostly play everything on the PC...wondering if I should wait it out another month or just play it on the xbox.
O/O