New game makes my PC overheat...

Started by Beorning, December 26, 2016, 05:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nessy

Quote from: Beorning on February 03, 2017, 12:24:54 AM
Admittedly, I don't quite know what I want at this stage... I haven't been planning to buy a new PC this year. On the other hand, all this madness I went through with Tyranny really made me realize that my PC is getting old and may soon not to be able to run anything new. I mean, I was hoping to get Tides of Numenera, but I checked the game's system requirements and I'm not sure my PC even fits the minimum requirements...

Argh. Decisions, decisions :(

If you're able to do what you want to do today, don't rush yourself. Take your time. Read what's available. See what's coming. I know it sucks when things don't work, but if it's stable now, you've got time. Hell you could wake up tomorrow and see a  really slick deal on a rig that fits your needs perfectly, or if not tomorrow next month, or two months for now.  If Tyranny is your passion and you can enjoy it again, sounds like you can, enjoy it. Kick back, relax and just look up on CPUs one night. Maybe motherboards the next. Check out the pre-built systems or maybe look at building your own.

And believe me, I know where you're at. My build is from 2012. I am also pushing the edge. I bought a RX480 just to squeeze out another year because I am not sure either. I want to buy when I want to not because I have to. For me that could be 6 months, could be year... who knows? I'd be the first one to buy a new system tomorrow if mine died today too.  I totally understand as a gamer myself.
Ons and Offs    Short Term Ideas,
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Some heroes don't wear capes. Some just #holdthedoor.

Beorning

The annoying thing is that I might be able to borrow the money I need from my family and pay them back through the rest of the year... but it'd mean I wouldn't be spending money on almost anything else. And I hoped to buy some other stuff this year, too. Also, I planned to finally start saving, so that I would have a solid "in the case of emergency" fund. But if I end up buying the new PC, that won't be possible..

Agh! I talked to a friend about it not too long ago and he put me to shame, saying that he's shocked that I'd be willing to spend that much just to be able to play computer games. Hmmmm...

Nessy

Quote from: Beorning on February 04, 2017, 11:47:38 AM
Agh! I talked to a friend about it not too long ago and he put me to shame, saying that he's shocked that I'd be willing to spend that much just to be able to play computer games. Hmmmm...

Anyone who doesn't enjoy computer or video games as a primary pass time won't understand... they never do. I am a full grown woman with a very fortunate job, and I am sure others still judge me for this.

Here's my somewhat unsolicited advice.  If you're computer works for you today, as in you can play the games you want today, like Tyranny, and it's an enjoyable experience, just start saving for a new computer. Put aside some money with each paycheck or whenever you get an influx of money, and the next time you run into a game you have a game you can't play, you can decide if you want to do the video card or GPU path and RAM or go for the new. By the way, you can do a step down and do a pretty nice rig for under 1k easily, like around 600 and 700 that would play games very well. You can shave some money off that 6700k chip by looking at the 6600 instead, and the 1060 video cards do fine for none 4k gaming, and even then they can do 4k.
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Beorning

Alright, here's one more question...

My old PC. Do you guys think it's still viable for reselling? It's still not a bad PC and it'd be more than enough if someone wants to surf the web, do some simple image editing or even play less demanding games. The only downside is that it's over 5 years old... So, do you guys think if it makes sense to sell it? If so, how much could I charge for such a rig?

Oniya

I've never sold an old PC.  When I upgrade, the old one typically gets wiped and handed off to anyone I know with a lower system.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beorning

It's a possibility. But considering that I'm not really earning much, I'd prefer to hand off the old PC for some money - to cushion the costs of the new one...

But of course I don't want to rip anyone off. That's why I'm asking if such a PC is even viable for selling anymore...

Nessy

Sorry, I'm not good to answer that one either. I wipe my old ones and hand them off or they sit in my closet waiting for me to decide what to do with them. I've seen them listed in craigslist before, but I always think they're way overpriced for something so old.
Misc. Long Term Ideas

Inkidu

Sadly PC depreciate about as bad as cars.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.