Jurassic Park: Extinction Survival Game - Recruitment Closed

Started by Jag, August 04, 2018, 05:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jag

I will be closing off character acceptance tomorrow evening, Monday August 6th, at 10:30pm EST. So please have all your character sheets in to me by then.

The Story

Six people wake up in what appears to be a former lab room of some sort. They are all groggy and have little recall of what happened to them before waking up. As the haze starts to disappear, most of them recognize Dr. Ian Malcolm. He was on television not long ago spouting nonsense about an island of dinosaurs to anyone who would listen to him.

It becomes clear as they find a strangely clean TV set on a cart with a VCR player. The tape plays, showing an image of Peter Ludlow, who explains to them that they are being used to generate profits for his future venture. To open an on-land dinosaur park to house his uncle's creations. The longer they survive, the more money their benefactor will fork over. They have each been provided with a duffel bag that has basic camping equipment, but no weapons. They are told weapons are hidden throughout the ruined facilities, because they hadn't bothered to clean out what had been left there before, but there is no guarantee on how well the three year old items will work.

They are told that there is not meant to be a survivor, that they will all die in the end.

Deaths

All character will be up for elimination. Just as in the movies, skill set will not save you. Everyone has the same chances of survival and in the end, there will be a survivor.

We are praying to the dicebot gods for this game. Even my character is up for elimination.

When it is decided that there will be a death, I will roll the dicebot (1 - 6) and whatever number it lands on is the Death Roll. We will each take a turn and roll the dicebot. Whoever lands on the Death Roll first, their character will be eliminated that round. They will be eaten, stomped, or torn apart. Each time we do a round, the number on the dicebot will go down to reflect however many people we have left. Each time we do a round, the order that we roll will be different.

If I am eliminated, Ian will die and I will take on just a narrative GM role.

Last one surviving will be get a surprise rescue from the island and get a badge to put in their signature if they would like it.

The Rules and Notes

* Game is being limited to six players to start with.
* No god modding over other players.
* No posting schedule, but try to be considerate.
* Dicebot results are non-negotiable. You get one roll.
* Freeform posting. Fights will be primarily with NPCs.
* Will be taking place 1996.
* While smut is not encouraged, it is not forbidden. If people enjoy getting it on in a dirty, jungle setting with the possibility of being eaten; go for it. I'll make a thread for it.
* Game will take place in EX board.
* Headers and Tagging will be required for all posts.
* All genders and sexualities will be accepted.

The Character Sheet

* PM all character sheets to me (Jag).

[b]Character Name:[/b]
[b]Player Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Height:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Sexuality:[/b]
[b]Position:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]

[b]Appearance:[/b]
[b]Faceclaim:[/b] (Real Life images preferred. Only life like drawings/renderings accepted. If pulling from a game, be sure to name who the character is as the faceclaim for proof that they are of age)
[b]History:[/b]

[b]Tidbits:[/b] (optional)

Ian Malcolm's Sheet for example

Character Name: Ian Malcolm
Player Name: Jag
Height: 6'4''
Sexuality: Heterosexual
Position: Former mathematician for a University. Lost his tenure
Personality: Cocky, sarcastic and a bit of an annoying know-it-all. But he has a sense of humor.  He is also known to be unreliable, and not realizing that people didn't trust him because of that. Ian can be considered a voice of reason, as he was the first to voice his concerns over the ethics of resurrecting dinosaurs. His first experience with the islands has made him a bit more pessimistic, but no less sarcastic or humorous.

Ian is also a shameless flirt. While his events in the park have softened him a little, he is still always "looking for the next ex-Mrs. Malcolm".

Appearance:

Faceclaim: Jeff Goldblum
History:
Ian Malcolm was once a tenured professor at a University. He taught chaos theory and mathematics. He signed his life away when he agreed to come to Hammond's island park and sign a non-disclosure agreement. Had he any idea what he was getting himself into, he never would have signed it or went.

After his leg recovered completely after a stay under private medical care, he was reminded of his non-disclosure and sent back to his life. Ian couldn't let it be though. Too many people died and he refused to be part of some kind of cover up. Ian attempted to go public about his experience on Isla Nublar, only to be discredited by Hammond's nephew, Peter Ludlow, who went to great lengths to make Ian appear insane to the public, resulting in the revoking of his University tenure. This is further complicated by Ian's book as an open violation of the non-disclosure agreement he signed, further damaging his ruined career.

Ian is currently a shell of his former self, openly mocked in public and no longer expressing his beliefs in Chaos Theory.

Peter Ludlow continues to find ways to further discredit him and remove him from public light.

Tidbits:

- Ian has three ex-Wives.
- Ian has three children by three different women. Two are from two different wives and one is from an ex-girlfriend.
- Is a Chaos Theorist.

Links
* OOC
* IC Thread (Main)
* Approved Characters
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

OyabunKobold

Ill pop in my interest for this with a Wilderness survival Expert? Someone like Bear Gills whom is known for being dropped in the middle of the wilderness and getting to civilization.

Currently owed posts: 0/0 | Currently owed Pms: 0| Currently owed offline posts: 0/0
Current Roleplay capacity 0/0

Jag

lux89

I'd join! Interested in playing a US Army Biochemist,
military trained with a PhD specialized in biological
warfare and the study of chemical and physical
properties of living things. Chosen for this reason.

Maybe he has an ego big enough to compete with Ian hehe!
If my mc dies, I'd show up at his closed casket in a black veil!
If he lives, then yisss I want that siggy badge! Outlived Jurassic Park!

Jag

Awesome!

So far we have a Mathematician/Chaos Theorist (that's what Ian was), a survivor man, and an Army Biochemist.

I'd love to see some more interest in characters that would have a more difficult time surviving. Maybe just someone who pissed off the wrong person and it landed them there or things like that. Nice to have a good mix of characters. ^^

And badges will be very likely.

Jag

Added a poll to decide on which island the game would take place on. Anyone is free to vote, even if you're not going to be participating.

OyabunKobold

My character would probably be a Gal but yeah Survivor Gal :P Was thinking of trying to find a good picture of Ellie or Someone who looks like Ellie from the Last of Us Part 2 for a good survivalist picture

Edit: Voted :P gotta go with Island 2 :P Malcolm has such fond memories of it

Currently owed posts: 0/0 | Currently owed Pms: 0| Currently owed offline posts: 0/0

Jag

You said Bear Gills and my mind just kept going to Survivor Man. >.<

Any genders are fine by me. ^^

OyabunKobold

Yeah thats the first name that could pop to mind lol Found these on the Last of us Wiki lol

Le Pics
And
having Le wife try to edit out the words for the second one.

Jag

I would prefer only real life pictures, but images like those would be acceptable since they are extremely life like. However, be careful with Ellie from The Last of Us, because she is only of age in Part 2 (she is 19). If they are from the first game, they can't be used as she is only 14.

OyabunKobold

Made sure I grabbed from only Part 2 from the Wiki.

The face pic is from the first trailer with her having the Guitar that was released a long time ago the full body one was part of the gameplay Trailer at E3 this year. :3

Jag

Awesome. ^^

If we get a few more people, I'll put up more fleshed out information and a CS for people to fill out and send to me.

RedPhoenix

I am literally plotting an elimination type game atm lol. This is so up my alley.

Questions

- Expected posting rate?
- Frequency of deaths?
- Will the type of character we submit have any bearing on if we survive or not? i.e. will a non-survivally type be more prone to death?

I'd love to play like, say, a woman who gets dumped on the island because she pissed off the mob boss/corrupt senator/oligarch she was having an affair with and he decided to make a tv show of out of getting rid of the woman who knew too much.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

King Serperior

*plants flag of interest*

Depending on the post-rate, I think I can manage a post every five days minimum.  *slow poster trying to get back to writing*

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

Jag

Quote from: RedPhoenix on August 04, 2018, 07:37:37 PM
I am literally plotting an elimination type game atm lol. This is so up my alley.

Questions

- Expected posting rate?
- Frequency of deaths?
- Will the type of character we submit have any bearing on if we survive or not? i.e. will a non-survivally type be more prone to death?

I'd love to play like, say, a woman who gets dumped on the island because she pissed off the mob boss/corrupt senator/oligarch she was having an affair with and he decided to make a tv show of out of getting rid of the woman who knew too much.

No expected posting rates above one a week (exceptions can be made if someone needs more than a week).

For deaths...really depends on how fast the game progresses. I would not expect there to be a main character death in the first month worth of posting just to ensure everyone gets time to run around and what not. After that, I'll take a vote on if people would like a set death rate. Like one a month or something like that.

Character death is all up to the dicebot gods. After all, highly experienced people in the films died while some inexperienced people lived.

I'm not sure about the TV show angle though. I can see someone getting dumped there for being the mistress of someone, but not them making a show out of it. That would sort of defeat the purpose of sending her there. Though all the people who are sending people there would have some sort of way of 'checking in' on them. Probably tapping into old facility cameras and what not.

Quote from: King Serperior on August 04, 2018, 07:41:17 PM
*plants flag of interest*

Depending on the post-rate, I think I can manage a post every five days minimum.  *slow poster trying to get back to writing*

I'm a slow poster too. I never expect more than one post a week. ^^

King Serperior

In that case, I'm not 100% sure what character, but I have a quartet of images that I've been sitting on for a while now:

Big Game Hunter?  Former Mercenary?  Survivalist?

I'll likely think on it overnight for the concept.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

RedPhoenix

A post a week sounds good. If people can commit to that I think that could work. Character death I would like more frequent than not, but once a month means we get there in half a year which sounds like a good timeline for a game.

And sorry TV-Show I didn't mean like, live on TV I was meaning more like, metaphorically thinking of people making bets on who lives I figured there was some way they would have to check in. Also considering they bet on who is the last one to live I was assuming there is some way that last person gets off the island? Otherwise how would they know? :P

But having a few running cameras still on the island could work of course too. Check ins and all that. Would make sense for it as part of "the game." I think I am seeing what you mean now.

Well okay, color me interested then. =)

Jag

Fantastic. ^^ I'd be happy to have both of you on.

Ideally, I would like for one more person. I have to work tomorrow and Monday, so still plenty of time to get the last person we need. We can wait a little longer than that if we need to.

I will go ahead and get some more information put up and a Character Sheet Skeleton for people to fill out up tonight or tomorrow.

OyabunKobold

If KS wants to be the Survivalist Ill take my Ellie Pic and turn her into someone whom got in trouble with the mob or something (like her family is rich or something akin to that)

King Serperior

Nah, that's fine.  I was just listing ideas off the top of my head.  Feel free to be a survivalist~

There's a lot of possibilities I can go for that I'd be more than happy to play.  To be honest, I am kind of leaning towards the 'Big Game Hunter' concept.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

OyabunKobold

Cool beans Im open for changing from a survivalist too if needbe The pic would work out like later on down the line of at the island too :D

Jag

Updated the first post. Please PM all character sheets to me.

Dragongoddess

RedPhoenix

OyabunKobold

Ill work on the Profile more tomorrow Im exhausted.

Jag

Jag

We have an OOC, Approved Characters, and In Character (don't post yet) threads up.

I will leave the voting open for the location till the last character is approved.

OyabunKobold

Woot woot what are we up to in possible characters? 5 people?

Bekah Boo

Jag

I have four character sheets in my inbox, so we do have room for one more. I know someone else was interested in it, but we have a lot of doctor, survival, hunter characters...so I would be open to adding another slot so long as they are a more civilian type character.

Bekah Boo

Quote from: Jag on August 05, 2018, 11:47:02 AM
I have four character sheets in my inbox, so we do have room for one more. I know someone else was interested in it, but we have a lot of doctor, survival, hunter characters...so I would be open to adding another slot so long as they are a more civilian type character.

Mhm my thoughts were going in the direction of a sort of photographer or someone who is there to document everything going on. So she wouldn’t have any formal training in survival and be more so there to record the events going on, at least that was the idea.
What do you think?

Jag

Quote from: Bekah Boo on August 05, 2018, 11:51:17 AM
Mhm my thoughts were going in the direction of a sort of photographer or someone who is there to document everything going on. So she wouldn’t have any formal training in survival and be more so there to record the events going on, at least that was the idea.
What do you think?

That would work. Just know she is still up for elimination though. No one is exempt from that.

Bekah Boo

Quote from: Jag on August 05, 2018, 12:08:36 PM
That would work. Just know she is still up for elimination though. No one is exempt from that.

Oh naturally lol.
I imagine the one always looking through a camera would be oblivious to what’s behind her ;3’
I should have a sheet sent to you soon.

tobisquestion

Ah man, am I too late to get on board with this? Love the JP franchise and I'd be very happy to throw in a civilian type character who can get munched if the need arises.
Character images inspiration: Female - Male

Dragongoddess

Quote from: Jag on August 05, 2018, 11:47:02 AM
Hey!  Sorry my character sheet isn't in yet.  I can only write them up at night and didn't want to write one up just to find out there was no room left.  Ill have one in tonight, after the kiddo goes to bed.

Jag

So more people are interested in this than I was expecting and all the character sheets and character ideas sound too awesome to pass on. >.< So thank you all for exceeding my expectation on how many people want to be eaten by dinosaurs.

How would people feel about having two games? One on each island. Half will go to one island and half go to the other. One would be a group of strictly OCs and the other would have Ian Malcolm in it. Same game play on each, just different characters.

Ways we could split it up is just to take the number of character, split it down the middle, and I assign who goes to which island. Another is we could have a fast pace island and a slow pace island for game play. Lastly, while I am not forbidding smut, we can have one island that is No Smut for the game and one that allows for it. We can decide on which way we want to go if people decide that we're going to go this way. OCC and Approved Sheets would all still be one thread. Just two island threads.

Alternatively, I can keep it to just the one island and we can do game rounds. The survivor of the first game gets rescued, but then kidnapped again and sent back with the second group. This, however, might not be a favored option because it could be quite a while before the first game ends.

How do people feel about this?

Dragongoddess

Quote from: Jag on August 05, 2018, 04:26:04 PM
So more people are interested in this than I was expecting and all the character sheets and character ideas sound too awesome to pass on. >.< So thank you all for exceeding my expectation on how many people want to be eaten by dinosaurs.

How would people feel about having two games? One on each island. Half will go to one island and half go to the other. One would be a group of strictly OCs and the other would have Ian Malcolm in it. Same game play on each, just different characters.

Ways we could split it up is just to take the number of character, split it down the middle, and I assign who goes to which island. Another is we could have a fast pace island and a slow pace island for game play. Lastly, while I am not forbidding smut, we can have one island that is No Smut for the game and one that allows for it. We can decide on which way we want to go if people decide that we're going to go this way. OCC and Approved Sheets would all still be one thread. Just two island threads.

Alternatively, I can keep it to just the one island and we can do game rounds. The survivor of the first game gets rescued, but then kidnapped again and sent back with the second group. This, however, might not be a favored option because it could be quite a while before the first game ends.

How do people feel about this?
May I make a suggestion?

RedPhoenix

I'd be in favor of a fast/slow split if that would help people, and I imagine I'm on the fast side of that.

My character isn't really designed with smut in mind and I have a hard time seeing her being in the mood while dinosaurs are trying to eat her so I'd be on the no smut side there, but I suspect so would most people so that may not work as a useful split.

I would view my character winning just to be sent back as sort of cancelling out all joy of winning lol so I wouldn't like that either!

Another possibility is uh, double the death rate. >.>

Bekah Boo

Mhm I'm sorry to have to do this but I might have bitten off a bit more than I can chew as far as stories go.
I'm withdrawing my interest but I do wish the best of luck to you all ;3

King Serperior

I'd be fine with two islands happening.  One idea could be that both islands happen at the same time, like two separate sporting events happening on the same night.  As for fast vs slow, I'd be happier in the slower pace since my fastest speed is about once a week.  In regards for smut, I am personally not 'feeling it' for this sort of game, which is all gritty horror of being eaten by dinosaurs.

As for the last idea, I am not sure it would work as these games are likely faster than most considering the concept, but might not be fast enough for the 'rescue-turned-kidnapping again' idea.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Jag

Quote from: Dragongoddess on August 05, 2018, 04:29:40 PM
May I make a suggestion?

Of course. ^^

Quote from: RedPhoenix on August 05, 2018, 04:30:18 PM
I'd be in favor of a fast/slow split if that would help people, and I imagine I'm on the fast side of that.

My character isn't really designed with smut in mind and I have a hard time seeing her being in the mood while dinosaurs are trying to eat her so I'd be on the no smut side there, but I suspect so would most people so that may not work as a useful split.

I would view my character winning just to be sent back as sort of cancelling out all joy of winning lol so I wouldn't like that either!

Another possibility is uh, double the death rate. >.>

Yeah, I don't have smut in mind. Even Ian as a flirt is not going to feel all that sexy about being trapped on an island of dinosaurs who have already tried to kill him once. >.<

Quote from: King Serperior on August 05, 2018, 04:33:10 PM
I'd be fine with two islands happening.  One idea could be that both islands happen at the same time, like two separate sporting events happening on the same night.  As for fast vs slow, I'd be happier in the slower pace since my fastest speed is about once a week.  In regards for smut, I am personally not 'feeling it' for this sort of game, which is all gritty horror of being eaten by dinosaurs.

As for the last idea, I am not sure it would work as these games are likely faster than most considering the concept, but might not be fast enough for the 'rescue-turned-kidnapping again' idea.

I'm the same. Once a week is about my pace. I can pick it up a little on occasion.

Fast/Slow might be the way to go.

Quote from: Bekah Boo on August 05, 2018, 04:31:35 PM
Mhm I'm sorry to have to do this but I might have bitten off a bit more than I can chew as far as stories go.
I'm withdrawing my interest but I do wish the best of luck to you all ;3

Sorry to hear that, but best of luck in your gaming. ^^

RegretNot

I would be interested, fast and not thinking smut fits when running for your life. 

Jag

Fast/Slow to break up the groups seems to be the way to go.

Please keep sending in Character Sheets if you are interested. I'm going to allow 5-6 people per island.

Dragongoddess

Quote from: Jag on August 05, 2018, 04:35:29 PM
Of course. ^^

Yeah, I don't have smut in mind. Even Ian as a flirt is not going to feel all that sexy about being trapped on an island of dinosaurs who have already tried to kill him once. >.<

I'm the same. Once a week is about my pace. I can pick it up a little on occasion.

Fast/Slow might be the way to go.

Sorry to hear that, but best of luck in your gaming. ^^
I'd like to suggest that maybe the characters get split into groups on the same island.  Whoever they're dropped off with is their team.  This might be teams of two or more.  They would probably not be dropped off in the same part of the island as the other groups or if everyone is dropped together, maybe there's a tagging system to decide teams?

Anyways, instead of one person making it off the island, the rules would be changed to whichever team was the last one standing won and was rescued.  This might be a whole, intact team.  It could also be only one character.

Instead of rolling dice to decide which character dies, it would be rolling dice to see which team is attacked.  The character from that team that dies can be decided by the team or maybe by a roll of dice if they can't agree as a team.

If a team splits up, each part of this team would have to roll as if they were their own team.

Different teams may decide to stick together which would be fine but this would also increase the chances of them being attacked since both teams would still have to roll and it would come down to another dice roll to see which character actually died which could be anyone in the group, whether or not they were on the losing team.

Anyways, this would allow each of the writers to decide how many people they want to work with at a time as well as keep groups kinda separate but not divide the game out over multiple games.  Just a suggestion.

Anyways, to fill out my thoughts on what our GM suggested, I feel it would be better to have a canon character on both islands as well as the GM having a character on both islands if we go that route so neither group feels like they're getting less GM attention.

Whichever way this goes, I can only guarantee one post a week, though might post more if I find the time.  I also don't believe this is the place for smut but I can see the possibility of some characters maybe kissing or something.  Just not full on smut.

EDIT: I would also like to have it noted that this would allow for a big blow up to happen such as the GM calls "TEAM DEATH" and the losing team ALL dies

Jag

Quote from: Dragongoddess on August 05, 2018, 04:50:19 PM
I'd like to suggest that maybe the characters get split into groups on the same island.  Whoever they're dropped off with is their team.  This might be teams of two or more.  They would probably not be dropped off in the same part of the island as the other groups or if everyone is dropped together, maybe there's a tagging system to decide teams?

Anyways, instead of one person making it off the island, the rules would be changed to whichever team was the last one standing won and was rescued.  This might be a whole, intact team.  It could also be only one character.

Instead of rolling dice to decide which character dies, it would be rolling dice to see which team is attacked.  The character from that team that dies can be decided by the team or maybe by a roll of dice if they can't agree as a team.

If a team splits up, each part of this team would have to roll as if they were their own team.

Different teams may decide to stick together which would be fine but this would also increase the chances of them being attacked since both teams would still have to roll and it would come down to another dice roll to see which character actually died which could be anyone in the group, whether or not they were on the losing team.

Anyways, this would allow each of the writers to decide how many people they want to work with at a time as well as keep groups kinda separate but not divide the game out over multiple games.  Just a suggestion.

Anyways, to fill out my thoughts on what our GM suggested, I feel it would be better to have a canon character on both islands as well as the GM having a character on both islands if we go that route so neither group feels like they're getting less GM attention.

Whichever way this goes, I can only guarantee one post a week, though might post more if I find the time.  I also don't believe this is the place for smut but I can see the possibility of some characters maybe kissing or something.  Just not full on smut.

I appreciate the input, Dragongoddess...but I'd rather have it be one survivor and limit it to 5-6 people per island at the most. I would have a hard time managing so many people on one island. I know my limits as a gamer and GM. I can run more than one game, so long as each game has a limited number of players.

As for a GM character on each island, I did plan on that. My issue is that the Jurassic Park canon has a limited number of people I am comfortable playing as. I don't play female canon characters, so Ellie is out. I'm not fond of Grant and would find no enjoyment out of playing his character. I was planning on doing Ian on one island and an OC on the other. Alternatively, I do have the option of playing Ian on both since they will not be taking place in the same 'game time'. The first post would from me for Ian would likely be the same, but they were change after that depending on other peoples posts. I am very comfortable playing the same canon character in multiple games without them being the same in each game.

OyabunKobold

I dont mind fast or slow i work Monday through Friday 5 am to 1:30 pm MST and occasionally Saturdays from 7 am to 4 pm MST. I will attempt to keep up with whatever pace I'm put in.

As for smut while i wont say no to it as i dont know where my eldritch horror will take me i dont see Rachael getting down and dirty on the island when theres dinosaurs afoot. So however that is handled is fine for me. If i use it i use it if i dont i dont.

As to the excitement woot for appetizers!

Jag

I've got a few character sheets and character ideas that conflict with the game a bit, so I just want to clear it up a little...

It doesn't matter how your character got to the island. Kidnapped or willingly went. Some could have gone because they were promised money for spending X-amount of time there. Some were promised a big hunt score. Some made a big boast about how they could kill a dinosaur or have no fear and someone called them on it.

Either way...they are going to find out it was a lie. They were sent to the island because someone wants them gone. They are being left there in the hopes that they are killed. The goal for those who send the people there is for there to be no survivors. The survivor is a GM plot for the ending, but not the goal of the 'villains'. They intend for everyone to die, no matter what they have told this person.

Jag

Update

I will be closing off character acceptance tomorrow evening, Monday August 6th, at 10:30pm EST. So please have all your character sheets in to me by then.